CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 has the well-known and documented problem with their dashboards falling to pieces, but it also has engine failure from oil sludge. That's a doube shot of awful in your morning coffee.

8.2

1. Dodge should recall the dashboard (safety issue) (269 reports)
  3. replace dashboard (90 reports)
  4. class action lawsuit against Dodge for inferior dashboards (14 reports)
  5. bought an aftermarket dash replacement (2 reports)
  6. dashboard, vents, radio replacement (1 reports)
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 7 of 25)

Sep 102008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

I think it is a shame, i do not know how they sleep at night. I have 2010 dodge challenger RST 8 I hope the dash is made better than the one on my truck. if not i will not be buying another dodge. by the way my vin# on my challenger is2b3lj74wx9h538992

- , Corpus Christi, TW, USA

Feb 042011

Ram 1500 ES 3.2L V6

dodge knows about the 02 dodge ram 1500 with its bad dash boards i have 2 of them when are they gonna step up to the plate and recondize what they did wrong its gonna coast 700 a pice for them this is bullshit dodge should fix them not the consumer we purchase the vehicle from dodge and all they do is sit back in their fancy ass houses and laugh at us they are just redicilous

- , Winder, GA, USA

Aug 092005

Ram 1500 SLT 4.6L

CRACKED DASHBOARD. BOUGHT TRUCK IN 2005 WITH 42000 MILES, REMEMBER SEEING SMALL CRACK ON DASH BOARD, I COVER THE CRACK WITH GLUE.. IT HELD FOR A WHILE BUT STARTED CRACKING IN DIFFERNT AREA OF THE DASH. I DID CALLED DODGE IF THERE WAS A DEFECT I WAS TOLD NO. I ALSO NOTICE THAT MY ELECTRIC WINDOWS STOP WORKING NOT SURE IF RELATED.

- , Margate, FL, USA

Oct 312004

Ram 1500 Ram 1500 Quad 47l5 V8

click to see larger images

cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard

A rip off... this problem should be resolved by the manufacturer... A FACTORY RECALL PLEASE!!!!

- , Miami, FL, USA

Jul 232011

Ram 1500 Quad Cab

As with the rest of the victims of this issue, my dashboard began cracking sponteneously when it was about 9 years old. I realize the truck isn't new, but this is a known defect and is not an issue with other auto makers. Apparently Dodge wants nothing to do with rectifying the issue. This is a real shame. I've been pretty happy with the performance and reliability of my Dodge truck for years, but this issue and Dodge's lack of willingness to correct it will send me to another make when I'm ready for a new one.

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Jul 192005

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L V8

Same problem as seems everyone else with this truck. A cracked dashboard and no real answers or fixes unless you do it yourself. Dodge needs to address this. It's just too much now.

- , Cabo Rojo, PR, Puerto Rico

Aug 012010

Ram 1500 5.9L

click to see larger images

cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard

This dash issue is ridiculous. I have never seen such a poor quality issue before. Pieces of the dash are falling into the ductwork.

Update from Feb 20, 2012: I got tired of this issue so I found an aftermarket dash replacement (not a dash cover) from these guys for ~$630 shipped:

It was a good fit and I didn't have to mod too much. I would also recommend getting a Chilton's book to help with the old dash dis-assembly. Keep in mind that you will have to break your old dash apart to get it out, so wear gloves and eye protection. The total replacement took about 6 hours.

- , Orange, CA, USA

Dec 012007

Ram 1500 LX 5.9L

click to see larger images

cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard

Dash falling apart and Dodge REFUSES TO DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT! Thousands of complaints for the same thing from all over the country!

- , Locust Grove, GA, USA

Aug 082011

Ram 1500

I'm a Dodge man and not so sure this issue will change my mind, but i've yet to address to monetary issue with this repair. My 2002 Dodge quad cab with 36,700 miles, now feels like a junker, the dash board split in half and a large chunk fell in. Looks like crap on a vehicle that has been babied more than my kids.. seems as though this is going to cost me a pretty penny due to an obvious oversight by Dodge. Very disappointed with the number of like complaints on this issue, I really thought this was a freak incident until I began to inquire about it.

- , Princeton, WV, USA

Aug 012008

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L V8

Until I found this site, I had no clue that this was occurring on other Dodge owner's trucks. Dodge should have sent me a notice and taken care of this problem. I now wonder how many others are having the same issue and thinking is was something caused by weather or something else besides just poor molding issues.

- , San Antonio, TX, USA

Jun 012011

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

Just like 300+ Ram owners we should sue Dodge to make the replace our dashboards for free. If i was an attorney'd jump on this all the way to the bank. Never had a car dash break up like this before, and it's because they wanted to do it cheaply as possible

- , Gainesville, GA, USA

Nov 162004

Ram 1500 XLS 4.7L

Had read up on trucks before purchasing; Dodge 1500 seemed best rated for my needs. Loved the truck overall, but the dash cracked all over and the clip for the sunglasses compartment snapped off with little use. Quality of the plastic was definitely inferior. Dodge had to be aware of this-should have been a recall item.

- , Balch Springs, TX, USA

May 002007

Ram 1500 XLT 4.7L

This problem is the same as everyone elses, who bought a Dodge truck, cheap-ass manufacturing , and piss poor materials. My truck is parked mostly under a tree, and usually has a sun shield over the dash at other times, this did not stop dash from breaking apart in numerous places, also the window control switches fell out, and the lower dash cup holders fell apart. After getting a lot of flack about not buying American, i purchased the Dodge, only to find out it was built in Mexico, never again.

Update from Sep 25, 2014: Have had several people interested in buying my truck, on account of the low mileage on it, but when they see the state of the dash, they walk away.I and probably numerous other owners are stuck with these vehicles because of Chryslers nickle and dime manufacturing practices. ASSHOLES !!!!!!!!

- , Cherry Hill, NJ, USA

Sep 082009

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

click to see larger images

As one can see the dashboard is pretty beat up. It has never been in an accident or physically damaged by intentially or otherwise by me. One day I got in the truck and there was a small crack on the passenger side and since then it has progressively gotten worse. I thought to pull one from a junk yard but then the fix would only be temporary due to the fact that all the models in this line have this defect... and who can afford to just throw money away? Although this is not a safety issue (yet) one can certainly agree that it is a design failure that should be addressed. As a Navy veteran I dont understand how an American company can knowingly produce and turn a blind eye on such mediocre craftsmanship especially in a field that we are suppose to dominate. I am a Mopar man! As a kid I owned a 1969 Plymouth Belvedere. If it wasn't for all the speeding tickets I would still have it, and I love my truck, it was a surprise gift my wife bought me after my first deployment to Iraq, after 9/11, so I want to keep it. But, I can't justify constantly putting money into it only to have it break down. If that was the case I would have bought a Ford. I can ownly say I hope Dodge makes the decision to recall this item and show the nation they still believe in Honoring the community that would rather "Ram it" than 'Stroke it", Courage to admit they made a mistake, and Commitment to great craftsmanship and customer service, because that's the company we all fell in love with.

-Keeping it Mopar-

- , Santee, CA, USA

Sep 122006

Ram 1500 1500 4.7L

This problem has been going on for many years and dodge has not addressed it. My son had a 99 MODEL WITH THE SAME PROBLEM

- , Nacogdoches, TX, USA

Aug 142009

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7

I bought the truck and have been very happy with it until i noticed a small crack by windshield. Then a crack above gauges, then one across defroster vents, then about 8 total joined the party.... It makes me not even want to keep the inside clean when the dash is literally falling through like an egg shell. Smooth pull Dodge.

- , Cave In Rock, IL, USA

Oct 152009

Ram 1500 Sport 4.7L

The dash is disintegrating, falling apart and is becoming a hazard, parts falling down under the dash effecting wiring. even after putting a cover on it.

- , Bentonville, AR, USA

Aug 022011

Ram 1500

The dash in this truck is terrible..Cracked all over..Very Cheap!

- , New Braunfels, TX, USA

May 032010

Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 5.9L V8

I did not realize how wide spread this problem was, but I do agree that this is a dangerous problem. The edges on those cracks are sharp and poses a dangerous to any passenger riding with me in my truck. Dodge should take responsibility for this problem and address it very quicky.

- , Perris, CA, USA

Jul 012010

Ram 1500 4.7L

Obviously, this is a major problem but typical of how Dodge is handling the problem. Aside from the aesthetics, if there is ever an incident where the cracked, plastic dash causes an injury, Dodge will find itself in a lawsuit over a defect it hasn't addressed. Agree that this should be recalled.

- , San Antonio, TX, USA