CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 has the well-known and documented problem with their dashboards falling to pieces, but it also has engine failure from oil sludge. That's a doube shot of awful in your morning coffee.

8.2

1. Dodge should recall the dashboard (safety issue) (273 reports)
  3. replace dashboard (94 reports)
  4. class action lawsuit against Dodge for inferior dashboards (15 reports)
  5. bought an aftermarket dash replacement (2 reports)
  6. dashboard, vents, radio replacement (1 reports)
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 7 of 25)

Aug 102010

Ram 1500 SLT 3.9L Gas

What a world we live in when U.S. manufacturer's have to be sued to fix defects; and then the same companies that caused the problems complain about the need for Tort Reform. Tort Reform that attempts to block the consumer from pursuing remedy for issues the company should have stepped upon on their own to correct. Some of these defects (Like Disintegrating Dashboards) persist for years, before a fix is performed. Obviously, not all car manufacturer dashes fall apart regardless of age. So something in the manufacturing process and/or materials is bad. It should not take years and several Model introductions to get the defect corrected and the new and improved product (part) installed, or at least made available. How short sighted Dodge Corporate must be to continue to drive customers away with its arrogant indifference. I love my Ram 1500, but such issues like disintegrating dashboard which is a major expense item to fix will drive me away from being a faithful Dodge repeat customer.

- , Pleasanton, TX, USA

Mar 012008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

Dodge should have recalled along time ago due to this has been happening since 1997.

- , Port Charlotte, FL, USA

Apr 012012

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

Dodge should have addressed this issue long ago. It is very annoying and adversely affects the resale value of my truck. Replacement dash from Mopar appears to be the exact same material and construction which will only be a short term solution and likely have the same defect.

- , Arlington, TX, USA

Apr 192012

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

JUST BOUGHT THIS TRUCK FROM THE FIRST OWNER WITH 72K MILES. I LOVE DODGE TRUCKS SO I BOUGHT IT. NOW I HAVE A HUGE CRACK THAT STARTS IN THE FRONT OF THE DASH AND GOES THE WHOLE WAY BACK TO THE SECOND PIECE OF DASH... I HOPE THIS CAN BE FIXED SOON BY THE DEALER SO MUCH FOR THE TRUCK BEING RAM TOUGH. I KNOW OF OTHER TRUCKS THAT HAVE HAD 250K+ WITH NO CRACKS IN THEIR DASH !!!!!!!!!

- , Ephrata, PA, US

Feb 102012

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L V8

wen i started seeing my dash bord crack i said to my self how can dodge do this i paid so much money for my truck that its not even worth it i dont think chey or ford have this problem ...

- , Sun Valley, CA, US

Mar 132012

Ram 1500 ST 3.7lV6

i just noticed the dash cracked badly and i wonder if there is a recall on my year model 2002 dodge. i don't want to pay 1200 dollars to get it fixed. i mean I don't understand why it that i am dodge man i had a 95 dodge ram and it doing same thing. i just tried spend money on it to pay high dollar to replace it. my truck out warrerty.

- , Eastman, GA, USA

Aug 122010

Ram 1500 RamQuadCab 4.7L

I cannot believe how many people have this same issue!!! I cannot even sell my Truck because who wants to buy a vehicle with a cracked dashbord....cracked in 20 places!!! Parts falling in the vents, etc, just like other shave written!!

I had 4 potential buyers all turn me down because of the cracked dash.

This has got to be a major Hazard...sharp points, parts falling into vents, and I wonder if the airt bags even will work! This should be a recall for sure.

- , Corona, CA, USA

Sep 062011

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

dodge sucks. I recently took my other car in to a ford service center here in hawaii,& I saw a dodge 1500 ram truck park in the service area. I ask the owner why he brought a dodge vehicle to a ford service center. His reply, dodge can't fix their own product. Aloha

- , Kurtistown, HI, USA

Feb 012008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.8L V8

For the plastic dashboard to crack after a few years of use is just plain bad business. And it's worse that Dodge doesn't cover this or recall the defective dashboards. I've read/heard that this is a common problem in the Dodge Ram trucks. I was going to buy another Dodge, but after researching after discovering the problem, think I'll move over to Toyota or Ford instead.

- , Sacramento, CA, USA

Aug 122010

Ram 1500 LS 4.7L

Called Chrysler and it was a waste of my time...the guy made me feel stupid. "Its a 10 year old truck what do you want me to do about it?" That's what he said. He said they are only a known issue if its on their website. This is why the car industry is where it is...no one to stand behind their product. I have found thousands of complaints online, but according to Chrysler "Elvis is still alive so how can you believe what you read?" That was the other comment he made to me. I just want it fixed...$1600 for parts alone through Chrysler what a joke.

- , Plainfield, IN, USA

Sep 102008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

I think it is a shame, i do not know how they sleep at night. I have 2010 dodge challenger RST 8 I hope the dash is made better than the one on my truck. if not i will not be buying another dodge. by the way my vin# on my challenger is2b3lj74wx9h538992

- , Corpus Christi, TW, USA

Feb 042011

Ram 1500 ES 3.2L V6

dodge knows about the 02 dodge ram 1500 with its bad dash boards i have 2 of them when are they gonna step up to the plate and recondize what they did wrong its gonna coast 700 a pice for them this is bullshit dodge should fix them not the consumer we purchase the vehicle from dodge and all they do is sit back in their fancy ass houses and laugh at us they are just redicilous

- , Winder, GA, USA

Aug 092005

Ram 1500 SLT 4.6L

CRACKED DASHBOARD. BOUGHT TRUCK IN 2005 WITH 42000 MILES, REMEMBER SEEING SMALL CRACK ON DASH BOARD, I COVER THE CRACK WITH GLUE.. IT HELD FOR A WHILE BUT STARTED CRACKING IN DIFFERNT AREA OF THE DASH. I DID CALLED DODGE IF THERE WAS A DEFECT I WAS TOLD NO. I ALSO NOTICE THAT MY ELECTRIC WINDOWS STOP WORKING NOT SURE IF RELATED.

- , Margate, FL, USA

Oct 312004

Ram 1500 Ram 1500 Quad 47l5 V8

click to see larger images

cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard

A rip off... this problem should be resolved by the manufacturer... A FACTORY RECALL PLEASE!!!!

- , Miami, FL, USA

Jul 232011

Ram 1500 Quad Cab

As with the rest of the victims of this issue, my dashboard began cracking sponteneously when it was about 9 years old. I realize the truck isn't new, but this is a known defect and is not an issue with other auto makers. Apparently Dodge wants nothing to do with rectifying the issue. This is a real shame. I've been pretty happy with the performance and reliability of my Dodge truck for years, but this issue and Dodge's lack of willingness to correct it will send me to another make when I'm ready for a new one.

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Jul 192005

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L V8

Same problem as seems everyone else with this truck. A cracked dashboard and no real answers or fixes unless you do it yourself. Dodge needs to address this. It's just too much now.

- , Cabo Rojo, PR, Puerto Rico

Aug 012010

Ram 1500 5.9L

click to see larger images

cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard

This dash issue is ridiculous. I have never seen such a poor quality issue before. Pieces of the dash are falling into the ductwork.

Update from Feb 20, 2012: I got tired of this issue so I found an aftermarket dash replacement (not a dash cover) from these guys for ~$630 shipped:

It was a good fit and I didn't have to mod too much. I would also recommend getting a Chilton's book to help with the old dash dis-assembly. Keep in mind that you will have to break your old dash apart to get it out, so wear gloves and eye protection. The total replacement took about 6 hours.

- , Orange, CA, USA

Dec 012007

Ram 1500 LX 5.9L

click to see larger images

cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard

Dash falling apart and Dodge REFUSES TO DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT! Thousands of complaints for the same thing from all over the country!

- , Locust Grove, GA, USA

Aug 082011

Ram 1500

I'm a Dodge man and not so sure this issue will change my mind, but i've yet to address to monetary issue with this repair. My 2002 Dodge quad cab with 36,700 miles, now feels like a junker, the dash board split in half and a large chunk fell in. Looks like crap on a vehicle that has been babied more than my kids.. seems as though this is going to cost me a pretty penny due to an obvious oversight by Dodge. Very disappointed with the number of like complaints on this issue, I really thought this was a freak incident until I began to inquire about it.

- , Princeton, WV, USA

Aug 012008

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L V8

Until I found this site, I had no clue that this was occurring on other Dodge owner's trucks. Dodge should have sent me a notice and taken care of this problem. I now wonder how many others are having the same issue and thinking is was something caused by weather or something else besides just poor molding issues.

- , San Antonio, TX, USA