Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2002 has the well-known and documented problem with their dashboards falling to pieces, but it also has engine failure from oil sludge. That's a doube shot of awful in your morning coffee.

1. replace motor (1 reports)
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 cooling system problems

cooling system problem

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments

Feb 222006

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

There was a problem with this year 4.7L V8. I have no idea what caused my top radiator hose to split 8" while driving down the road at a little over 72,000 miles. I do know that when I took my motor to my machinist he had another 4.7L same year with similar problems. This was back in 2006 and this was not the first 4.7L from 2002. I went up there today 12/30/08 and talked to him about my truck now at 87,200 with a blown head gasket. He had two more 2002 4.7L motors there with motor rebuilds and head work. What I find strange about all this is I had a friend drive my truck when I first got it, and he liked it so much he got him one. Here's the thing; in his owner manual it says any 2002 Ram trucks manufactured before May 2002 has a 36,000 mile warranty and the ones after this date had a 72,000 mile warranty. If dodge has not found a problem why would they change the warranty in the middle of a year like that. The only way someone would ever find out about this is for them to know someone that has the 2002 truck before May and after May. This is not that easy to find out unless one reads owner manual and brings this to the other ones attention. I feel someone needs to speak up about this to dodge. My machinist is researching all his costomers with this year truck to see how many was manufactured before May 2002.

- , Moss Point, MS, USA