CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 has the well-known and documented problem with their dashboards falling to pieces, but it also has engine failure from oil sludge. That's a doube shot of awful in your morning coffee.

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 drivetrain problems

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jan 012008

Ram 1500

2002 Dodge Ram quad cab sport 4X2 (1.)gas peddle has to be press down at all time in order for truck to stay on and once I let go of gas peddle truck stalls. (2.)first day I bought truck from dealership I ask, is that faint sound coming from transmission, I was told by Dodge dealer thats the sound transmission makes, I said really. (3.)interior top dash so thin sun is able to crack dash by its self with the hot heat and dash plastic is sharp and dangerous its become a hazard to all occupants or pedestrians, passegers. (4.)the whole back tail light found hanging tried to hook it back up its made of plastic components crack with no way of hooking it with nuts, so for now I tape it in place, it truly falls under a recall. (5.)ac works but no heater slite warm. (6.)mirror cover on passenger side has fallen off on freeway. (7.)all engine components seem to brake to fast due to being made of plastic clips wires not stable to hold on to devices once they brake off, some also crack off into devices, crack into devices which cause vehicle problems and issues that affect mulitiple hazards to truck speed, suspension, steering, fuel/propulsion, lighting, powertrain, brakes, engine, electrical, ele/ stability, rir bag, body, wheels, seat belt, visibility/wipers, in general all aspects has some kind of hazardous components that needs mandatory recalls.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Jan 012008

Ram 1500

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab sport 4X2 1. gas peddle has to be press down at all time in order for truck to stay on once I let go of gas peddle truck stalls. 2.first day I bought truck from deal I ask is this faint sound coming fom transmission, I was told Dodge dealer thats a sound that trasmission makes, I said really. 3.interior top dsah so thin sun is able to crack dash by it self with the hot heat and sharp plastic and its now dangerous its become a hazad toall occupants or pedestrians passegers. 4. the whole back tail light found hanging tried to hook it back up its made of plastic components crack with noway of hooking it with nuts so for now I type it in place, its truly falls under a recall. 5.ac works but no heater. 6.mirror cover on passenger side has fallen off on freeway. 7.all engine components seem to brake to fast due to being made of plastic clips wires not stable to hold on to devices, hoses fall off, crack into devices which cause veichal problems and isusses that affect mulitiple hazards to truck speed control, suspension, steering, fuel/propulsion, lighting, powertrain, brakes, engine, electrical, elec, /stability, air bags, body, wheels, seats, seat belts, visibility/wipers, in general all aspects has some kind of hazardous componets that need mandatory recalls.

- San Jose, CA, USA

May 232016

Ram 1500

The bolt attaching the drive shaft to the rear differential pinion came off and the drive shaft fell off. The pinion was then able to slide back and lock the differential carrier causing the rear axle and tires to lock in place, the dealer explained this is a problem and they actually recalled the 2005 model for the same problem. Because I was never made aware that this needed to be checked, severe damage has occurred which will cost several thousand to fix. I was fortunate this happened on a side road going 30 mph, if this happened on a highway or worse yet while hauling a trailer, chances are a major accident would have happened (serious safety risk). There needs to be some kind of notification to other Ram truck owners that this may occur and the simple fix or maintenance that is needed.

- Odessa, FL, USA

Nov 052014

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that while driving down an hill at 35 mph, a loud clanking noise emitted from the vehicle. After inspecting the vehicle, the contact noticed that the drive shaft fractured off the rear differential. The contact mentioned that he performed the repairs by replacing the drive shaft and pinion nut. A year later, the failure recurred. The dealer was made aware of the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 142,000.

- Phillipsburg, NJ, USA

Aug 202015

Ram 1500

I was on my way home from picking up my paycheck driving on the highway in the fast lane doing around 70 mph when all of a sudden my truck shut down with no warning and then restarted. I immediately got off of the highway and took back roads. About 1.5 miles from my home at a red light the truck once again shut down completely, no engine, no electric, nothing, it was completely dead on a fairly busy road. I had to have the truck towed home and have not been able to get it started at all. I went online to see what might be the cause and have found many related cases to what I am dealing with.

- Catonsville, MD, USA

Aug 242015

Ram 1500

My friend was outside the 2002 Dodge Ram. It was running and in park. He leaned in the door to check the mileage on the oil change sticker on the windshield. Suddenly, in park, the truck began rolling down a very slight grade. It drug my friend who was attempting to stop the truck. It rolled about 25 yards until it hit a parked car. This all happened while in park! he was bruised and banged up, and was sore for a few days.

- Lancaster, SC, USA

Aug 032015

Ram 1500

My truck has a faulty rear end that I am concerned about.. Dodge will do nothing to fix what is a large scale problem affecting all trucks like mine.. please help us get this truck recalled.. it's a wide spread problem.. thanks mike

- Rowland Heights , CA, USA

Jul 042015

Ram 1500

While driving down a two lane road, a loud sound came from the rear end of the vehicle and the rear axle seized up. Rear springs detached and drive shaft also came loose.

- Oberlin, OH, USA

Jul 082012

Ram 1500 8-cyl

On July 8, 2012, the mother carried her 2 year-old daughter to her husband's parked 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 pickup equipped with a manual transmission. The mother opened the passenger door, inserted the ignition key into the ignition switch, turned the key as the mother was trying to activate the air conditioner and cool the vehicle down before her husband came out to drive them home from church.the vehicle was in 1st gear and lurched forward when the key was turned.the speed of 2 mph at time of incident is an approximation only. The mother was struck by the moving vehicle which knocked her child from her arms to the pavement. The child suffered severe head trauma and was removed to the hospital by ambulance. The child later died in the emergency room. The accidental death was caused by failure of the clutch ignition interlock safety switch, compression spring, and attendant parts. This is the same defect involved in recall no.14V795000 and is at least the second death caused by this same defect. The only difference is that recall no. 14V795000 covers vehicles back to only 2004, and this vehicle is a 2002 model year.

- Lynnfield, MA, USA

Nov 012014

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500. While driving at various speeds, there was an abnormal noise coming from the rear of the vehicle. The failure recurred continuously. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the pinion nut was loose and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V038000 (power train). The failure mileage was 89,622. Updated 4/30/15 updated 05/12/15

- Memphis, MI, USA

Mar 032015

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that while traveling approximately 30 mph, the rear differential fractured impacting the drive shaft which then fractured the transfer case and caused damage to the transmission. The contact indicated that the bolt fractured while the vehicle was in motion. The contact was able to pull the vehicle over. The vehicle was towed and parked to be further taken to an authorized dealer for inspection and diagnosis. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The contact was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 14V796000 (power train). The approximate failure mileage was 150,000. Updated 5/4/15 the consumer stated the dealer was able to fix the truck with used parts and was also able to save the transmission and transfer case. The rearend and driveshaft had to be replaced. Updated 11/16/2015

- Statham, GA, USA

Jan 052015

Ram 1500

We were driving along and suddenly there was a lot of vibration coming from the rear end and a loud bang. The truck would keep rolling even in pack. After parking brake applied the truck stopped. Looking under the truck the drive shaft was lying on the ground sheared in two about 75% was sheared off. The largest front section was on the ground and the rear section still attached to the differential.

- New Fairfield, CT, USA

Dec 192014

Ram 1500

Rear axle seized and the drive shaft fell off. Mechanic stated that pinion nut loosen, causing the rear axle to seize. The drive shaft also detach, which almost caused a crash. Can forward pictures if needed..

- Washington, NJ, USA

Oct 012014

Ram 1500 4WD 6-cyl

While I was driving, my truck made a odd sound and then came to a screeching halt. To my surprise, the rear driveshaft had disconnected and fell out of my 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 truck. After having it towed and inspected by a mechanic, it was discovered the nut came off of the pinion gear. The axle and companion gear slipping out of the pinion gear and the yolk came completely off. The mechanic was as concern and surprised as I was, considering this type of thing should not happen to a vehicle. I contacted Chrysler via their customer service website and advised them of my situation. Sadly, I received a response stating there was no information regarding my issue. I conducted my own research about the possible defect, and found the NHTSA details regarding this problem with Dodge Ram trucks. Currently, they are only reviewing 2008-2014 models. Considering my 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 has incurred the same problem, Chrysler should recall all of their 2000 series for this defective part. I consider myself and others very lucky. If the driveshaft would have disconnected 10 minutes earlier while I was driving 70 mph on the interstate. The incident could have been much worse. I'm fortunate, I had reached my exit and was driving 45 mph with no vehicle behind me when my truck came apart and stopped.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Aug 182014

Ram 1500

Was driving and a loud noise started to come from the back part of the truck. I took it to the mechanic and the differential is gone. Spoke to other Dodge Ram owners and my understanding is that this is a factory defect that Dodge has yet to accept responsibility for. Please help.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jun 232014

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Today on my 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 a sound started at speed, a sort of whining sound. I had learned there were some problems via internet forums so I slowed down, as I slowed down the diff locked up. Luckily since I sort of knew what might be coming I was going slow enough to not cause an accident, but had I not known, who knows what might have happened. It's in the shop now waiting on parts.

- West Chester, PA, USA

Jun 102014

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Was driving to work at 40 mph and suddenly a loud bang occurred. My rear end lock up and the truck came to a screeching halt. I got out and saw my drive shaft hanging down and called a tow truck! no injuries thankfully, but it sure could have had a different outcome on a highway at faster speeds! extremely expensive repair.

- West Milford, NJ, USA

Mar 172014

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact was driving at an unknown speed, when the clutch pack clips broke off and made contact with the gears. The contact stated this caused a failure with the rear differiantial. The contact notified the manufacturer, who refused to repair the vehicle.

- Newark, OH, USA

Mar 192010

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated while driving 50 mph, the rear end the vehicle locked up. The contact had the vehicle towed to the dealer for inspection. The dealer stated that there was a flaw in the metal and the entire rear end needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred twice. The contact also stated that while driving 60 mph, the wheel bearing fractured and the knuckle came off of the truck. The vehicle was taken the the dealer for inspection and they replaced both the wheel bearing and knuckle. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- Howell, NJ, USA

Oct 092013

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Our gears came apart, there was rear end fluid in there but the gears came apart. Which I was told what I needed to do before this happened, but I wasn't and now I am looking at a $4000 bill to get this fixed. Heard it was a common problem with these trucks to have rear end issues.

- Fairfield, OH, USA