Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2002 has the well-known and documented problem with their dashboards falling to pieces, but it also has engine failure from oil sludge. That's a doube shot of awful in your morning coffee.

2. change the tps (1 reports)
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 engine problems

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments

Jun 012012

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

Acts like a fuel delivery problem,does not show up on engine scan, could be fuel pump, idle sensor, or injectors. I have not had this verified by a certified mechanic yet.

- , Floral City, FL, USA

Aug 012009

Ram 1500 4.7L

Dodge really needs to step up and take care of the problems with this engine, bought the truck last year and the stupid never ran right form the time i got and i can't get my money back, so far I have spent more money on repairing the truck than i got it for over $7,000.00 and it's in the shop right now with the fuel injector problems... We need to get together and sue the hell out of Dodge to take care of their mistakes, anyone feel the same drop me a line here... good luck many out there like me with the same problems... DODGE SUCKS ASS

- , Norton, MA, USA

Jun 112007

Ram 1500 1500 4.7L V-8

Got the truck with 38K miles on it and shortly thereafter, the RPMs started fluctuating both while idle and driving. Occasionally the check engine light will come on. Upon taking it to the dealership, I was informed this was "normal" and that the computer didn't indicate that the check engine light has ever come on. The RPMs fluctuate worse while the a/c is on, but doesn't do it as bad with it off. No one can tell me what's wrong, so I guess I'll just drive it till it dies...

Update from May 26, 2009: Good news... after literally years of my truck not running right, twice in the shop with no results, spiking RPMs and eventually erratic shifting, I changed the TPS. Cost me all of $40 and now it runs like a dream. Hopefully the same will work for others.

- , Sarasota, FL, USA