CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 has the well-known and documented problem with their dashboards falling to pieces, but it also has engine failure from oil sludge. That's a doube shot of awful in your morning coffee.

2. suggested to get a new engine (1 reports)
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 engine problems

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments

Jul 062012

Ram 1500 Sport 4.7L V8

AFTER READING ABOUT ALL THE DREADED PROBLEMS WITH THE 02' DODGE RAM. I AM EXPERIENCING ALL OF THOSE SYMPTOMS. THE TRUCK STILL RUNS BUT CUTS OFF ON ME INTERMITTENTLY. I REALLY HAVE NOT DRIVEN IT IF MUCH AT ALL FOR ABOUT SIX MONTHS. SCARED TOO, AFTER READING ABOUT THE MISFIRES, DROP IN OIL PRESSURE, THE STALLING OUT. NO OVERHEATING THOUGH. I AM CONSIDERING JUST DRIVING THE TRUCK UNTIL IT DIES. I'M GOING TO CHANGE THE PICK-UP SCREEN, OIL PUMP AND SENSOR. COIL PACKS AND PLUGS, IAC VALVE AND EGR VALVE, ALONG WITH AN ENGINE CLEANING IF ALL THIS FAILS I'LL DRIVE IT TIL IT IMPLODES AND MAYBE REPLACE THE ENGINE WITH ONE FROM POWERTRAIN. CONSIDERING THE DISHONESTY OF DODGE I'LL NEVER FEEL COMFORTABLE BUYING A RAM AGAIN.....

- , phila, PA, USA

Mar 142012

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

I have the same problem with the loss of oil pressure and possible sludge in oil pan. was told that I should get another engine. the check engine gage light came on first with the engine light. all the fluids were fine. then shortly after the oil pressure gage went to 0. I parked it, had it towed to a repair shop and they told me there was no oil pressure. they suggested I get another engine which would cost about $5000. it definitely is a manufacturer defect and a class action lawsuit should be brought up against the manufacturer...

- , Webster, FL, USA