8.0

$2,400.00

1. replace motor (6 reports)
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 engine problems

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments

Apr 212011

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

This truck is a piece a s**t. I know what's the problem: the damn head gasket. run hot going up hill or on a hot day. this is my THIRD ( yes 3) engine

- , Oceanside, CA, USA

Feb 092004

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

Here we go. One day driving on the freeway the truck just overheat, got out the road, by that time steam all over. took the truck back to the dealer and they install a recon. engine (under warraty). 9 months later it happen AGAIN. this time no warranty so I call a friend who work at a dismanteler yard and got me a used engine for $2000 plus $1000 for labor, but always running hot on stop and go traffic.

WE ARE TOUGH NOT THE DAMN TRUCK

- , Oceanside, CA, USA

Mar 022010

Ram 1500 4.7L

i love my dodge ram 1500 but its a pain in my ass i spend more time workin on it than drivin it. if i could would kick some f*cking ass. im tired of workin my ass off just to go see my girl or go to town on the weekends. its bull. ive put 1 motor in it 4 rads in it and more and more everyday. im bout to just drive it into the lake and buy a new one

- , Burlington, NC, USA

Jan 012002

Ram 1500 STL 4.7L V8

i bought this truck bran new an a year later the motor blew up i had also bought the extended warrant which would not cover it. i was very upset if i had been making payments or if i was a man it would have been covered. but dodge dealer i bought it from wouldnt even hear me out. now its 2010 and i have another blown motor same thing happened. i wouldnt buy another dodge if i had to i think ill walk.

- , Labadie, MO, USA

Sep 042009

Ram 1500 XLT 4.7L V8

I was reading some of the other complaints about engine sludge/over heating with my motor. My started early last summer, and only acted up on long highway drives. The first time it ever showed any sign of trouble was after going over a small bump in the sand driving on the beach. Yeah i drove over it faster than I should have, but not like a teenager driving a car they weren't paying for. But when I came to a stop 5-10 seconds later, massive amounts of fluids were draining under the motor. We sat there a while, fished and forgot about it. Then when it came time to leave, after a few minutes driving in the sand, I noticed the temp gauge getting really high. I eased off my pace and turned the heat on full blast. It maintained that temp until i was able to get it to a station a mile or so a way. I let it cool off and refilled the radiator, no problems for another couple months. So this truck isnt my daily driver. I only drive it when I need to carry a bunch of stuff, in the snow, or to the beach to fish. It did fine every time I took it to the lake (1 hour drive) all summer, but every time I put her on the highway to go to Nags Head, she'd start acting silly.

Had local shop go over it a couple of times, thoroughly explained the problem. Replaced thermostat at least once. Thought I might have a leak, so based on auto part store's advice, added a bottle of "Stop leak", seemed to work...Local shop found out about that next time they saw her, when the radiator BURST. Split bad down the side. They said "stop leak" was a terrible idea, never use the stuff. (30year mechanic uncle swears by it). So they replaced the radiator, this time, they made sure to say, you may have other problems...

On the way to Myrtle beach last Labor day, got about a 100miles, til she starting getting hot and bothered again. This time a hose split, but i didnt know it until too late. Tried to refill radiator and get her to a shop. She died a couple miles down the highway. Same shop (nationwide chain) looked at it, viewed records, said "Yep, she's cashed, you need a new block"

After reading about the problems with all these other 4.7L V8 blocks, im reluctant to put a used block only to have this same problem again. The thing is, I can get one of them installed for $2000 less than a Jasper. Gonna have to keep her for at least a year...ugh, what to do???

- , Sandston, VA, USA

Jan 012009

Ram 1500 4.7L V8

This truck really sucks. Glad to find out I wasn't the only one who had this much problem with this junk. I've had problems with this truck since I bought it in 2002. Two week after driving it off the lot the was a family death in Chicago started on the trip a little over half way up all gauges went down I mean everything. Dodge dealership told me to drive it the rest of the way to their shop there. Left me stuck up there an extra week while they tried to figure it out. They gave it back to me and the next day on my way out of town it did it again, they finally replaced all censors and wiring. Since then dodge has had to replace the parts again . All my fans have had to be replaced with their wiring, brake lights and wiring have had to be replaced they kept shorting out and melting the plastic. The big one is the constant over heating problem. Dodge mechanics told us that is was a partially clogged radiator. Replaced that and go figure they didn't know what they were talking about. Had to have they heads replaced about a hear and a half ago and surprise the truck is acting up again. Dode wouldn't help fix any thing and actually tried to make me repay a deductible on parts they already had to replace once. The engine trouble started right after my warranty was up. Needless to day I now drive a Nissan. My husband still drives the dodge but at least Im not being constantly stranded with our kids anymore.Dodge is just to cocky they need to have their asses sued off. And their doors closed for having no standard on their trucks.

- , Lake Charels, LA, USA