CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 has the well-known and documented problem with their dashboards falling to pieces, but it also has engine failure from oil sludge. That's a doube shot of awful in your morning coffee.

3.9

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 miscellaneous problems

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments

Nov 152007

Ram 1500 8-cyl

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 cracked dash from sun. Truck's initial quality was terrible and the dash is cracking due to the sun. This should not be happening to a 5 year old truck that has been maintained and never abused.

- Ormond Beach, FL, USA

Jul 162007

Ram 1500 8-cyl

I have an 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 @ about 42,000 miles the dash started cracking now its all the way cracked in two pieces. The dealer will not do anything about it. I got online and found out that it is not just mine. There is a lot more.

- Johnson City, TN, USA

Nov 132006

Ram 1500 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Dodge Ram. The dashboard has cracked in several places. The vehicle is occasionally parked in direct sunlight and has not been inspected by a dealer. The current mileage is 60,000 and failure mileage was 55,000.

- Boca Raton, FL, USA

Feb 032006

Ram 1500 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that the dashboard has two cracks. The cracks extend from the windshield to the steering column. The current mileage is 48,085 and the failure mileage was unknown.

- Miami, FL, USA

May 252007

Ram 1500 8-cyl

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 very well kept and clean, dash has cracked in several places and is now seperating and is very near airbag on passenger side! I do not believe that this is safe anymore! the airbad my be deployed and hurt someone! I am very unhappy with this situation and also own another Dodge (magnum) but will gladly switch to another manufacturer if this isn't looked into and something done to correct the problem!! there are many of these cracked dashes out there now and Dodge is looking at many unhappy customers and must deal with this and soon!!!!

- Port Orange, FL, USA

Nov 062005

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Cracks in the dashboard which does not allow the defogger to direct towards the windshield to enable the clearing of the windshield.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Oct 182004

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Problem is with the dash board/panel cracking on my Dodge Ram 1500 truck. It is a year 2002 truck. On 10/18/2004, I complained to Chrysler, they agreed to replace the dash panel which was cracked in 2 places. The part was free; however, they made me pay for labor. After only a few months, the dash started cracking yet again. In early 2005 I submitted E mails and received no response. I wrote Chrysler complaining on 1/24/05 to which I received a response on 2/16/2005 telling me they would not cover replacement. I contacted Chrysler via E mail again and they pretty much blew me off. I kept copies of the E mail traffic, and my protest that they would not replace the part. Today, I just saw a news story on my local tv channel that showed Dodge Ram owners were having problems with the dash cracking, and they referred consumers to file a complaint with your Agency.

- Kissimee, FL, USA

Nov 102006

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Cracked dashboard in 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 it's cracked in several areas right now. The dealer was unsure how to handle this situation, as they are a used car lot. I never witnessed anything like this before and seeing as how I just bought this vehicle, I shouldn't have to worry about a 4 yr old trucks dashboard breaking up like a jigsaw puzzle. I'm worried about the airbags not working correctly, or worse yet, being deployed with the slightest of bumps from another vehicle. From what I've heard from other owners, they've been told that Dodge is basically brushing them off, saying that their vehicles are pass their mileage and warranty and there is nothing that they can do for them. Well, here's a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab with barely 60,000 miles on it. This is not your usual wear and tear item, like a pair of tires or a fan belt. It's a dashboard. They really do need to replace it with a better item and any others that are possibly out there right now.

- Wichita, KS, USA

Feb 012006

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 pick-up truck. At approximately 35,000 miles the middle of the dashboard began to crack. At first it started out as a hairline crack and then grew longer. I have taken my truck to the dealership and showed the defect to the manager, who related the vehicle was out of warranty and there was nothing he could do to have it replaced for free. I have also contacted Chrysler, who also declined to fix the problem, although they did acknowledge that there were many other complaints of the same nature concerning 1999 and up Dodge Ram's. in just 6 months, the hairline crack has not only gotten larger, but now the dash has 4 more cracks in various other locations. One location that is very concerning to me is the one above the passenger side airbag. I have since taken my truck back to the dealership and told them of my concern and that I feel this is now a safety issue. It is obvious that the cracks will continue to grow and become more frequent until the dash cracks in half.

- Shalimar, FL, USA

Jul 212006

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

Our Dodge Ram 1500 was working fine one day the next day the headlights, turn signals, and brake lights were not functioning. We checked fuses and anything else obvious. The next day we took it to a mechanic, after half a day of checking he found that the fuse and relay center which is located under the hood was corroded. This box is not air tight and allows water to get inside and corrode the insides. I believe this is a design defect and should be recalled for it is very dangerous to drive this way. The truck is a 2002 and is no longer under warranty but I think this is beside the point. My husbands business partner has the same truck only a 2003 and after hearing about the problem he popped the hood of his truck and found the very same thing was happening. When contacting Dodge they told us there is nothing they can do. I don't believe this is true I believe they must recall this part. It is dangerous driving without headlights, brake lights, and turn signals and we have been unable to even get the part to have it fixed. I wonder how many other owners have this problem.

- Howell, MI, USA

Apr 282004

Ram 1500

FOIA addressed to cpsc request a copy of all records pertaining to complaints re 2002 Dodge truck Ram pickup single vehicle collision caused by a vehicle defect (search attached). (nar)

- Las Cruces, NM, USA

Mar 152003

Ram 1500

I brought my truck to the dealer because it pulled to the right and shuddered at 75mph. I had already had 3 alignments on it since I bought it. Dealer said it was due to the tire wear. Tires wore out at 27,000 miles. Dealer was shocked; it?S a new truck the tires should have lasted 40,000 miles. I got new tires but the truck still pulls right and now it is starting to shudder at 65mph. I have had a pull problem since day one. I have also noticed that the raido lights and all dash lights go out when the key is turned to the rear and giggled a bit. I am bringing the truck in to the shop again this week. I hope it can be fixed.

- Carthage, NY, USA

May 292003

Ram 1500

Difficulties installing the blower motor wiring harness.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Apr 062002

Ram 1500 4WD

No summary.

- Northwood, OH, USA

Sep 052002

Ram 1500

This vehicle was never repaired correctly or dried out.

- Lawton, OK, USA