CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 has the well-known and documented problem with their dashboards falling to pieces, but it also has engine failure from oil sludge. That's a doube shot of awful in your morning coffee.

2.1

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 miscellaneous problems

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Aug 252011

Ram 1500

Dashboard for my 2002 Dodge Ram all cracked fear for safety of my family.

- Mission, TX, USA

Jul 162011

Ram 1500 8-cyl

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L sport. I paid a lot of money for this special order truck and now the dash is cracking all over"???? never had a new vehicle do this in all my 54 years. I live in Texas and I know it is hot, but it shouldn't be cracking like it is, none of my other cars or trucks are cracking at all, I take good care of all my vehicles so why is the Dodge the only one cracking"I think it should be recalled to get this fixed!!

- Mineola, TX, USA

Dec 012009

Ram 1500

Dashboard of my 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 has fifteen cracks. The dash is in two parts. The part where the vents are is ready to either fall out or come completely out. There has been over three hundred complaints on autobeef. My concerns is the plastic is going to fall in and cause an electrical fire. Dodge will not do anything about it they keep telling me it's a warranty issue. It is a defect in their product. I'm so disappointed not only does it look bad but I just keep waiting for it to fall in on me when I'm driving. I have done nothing to cause this issue. I keep my truck clean and keep my windows cracked for air circulation. I always try to park my vehicle in the shade. I have tried two different times to see if Dodge will do anything about it but they won't. any assistance with this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, concerned citizen

- Cumming, GA, USA

Apr 012011

Ram 1500

The dashboard has started cracking after the truck hit the 60,000 mile mark. There are now holes in portions of the dashboard, and the pieces have fallen down into the heater motor, and it has caused the doors on the heater to no longer open and close correctly, leaving the vehicle with no heat. We have contacted Dodge and they say that this is not a defect, and will not recall the defective piece, but there are numerous complaints about the same issue, and it seems to be common with the Dodge Ram. This problem is affecting the heat in the truck and issues with the defroster, and this is a safety issue that needs to be resolved.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Jun 302005

Ram 1500 8-cyl

My dashboard began cracking in the summer of 2005 and has continued to deteriorate to the point that it is collapsing in and creating electrical and safety issues.

- Sunrise, FL, USA

Dec 312010

Ram 1500

I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500. This truck has a big problem with the dash. The dash start cracking really bad. Dodge does not want to take responsibility to fix the problem. For a truck that is less then 10 years old that I paid 32,000 dollars for the dash should not be cracking. I believe Dodge so have a recall for the dashes because almost every ones Dodge Ram dash is cracked. I did a web search and every ones dash cracks in the same spot right over the air bag. The air bags in my truck have never been deployed. I am sure if this truck was ever in a wreck the air bag could get stuck in the crack and wont get deployed to save a life. Thanks Dodge

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Sep 062010

Ram 1500 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500.the contact stated while entering his vehicle he noticed cracks on the dashboard. The manufacturer had not been contacted about the failure. The contact has found other complaints about this failure on the NHTSA website. Updated evoq 03/22/11

- Louisburgh, NC, USA

Jan 152010

Ram 1500

Dasbhboard began cracking at 103,000 miles. Within weeks after initial crack was noticed, the cracks extend from the windshield all the way to the front edge of the dash. Multiple cracks are running over the top and edge of the passenger airbag, causing safety concerns if the airbag was to be deployed.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

May 292005

Ram 1500

02 Dodge Ram 1500 dash falling apart. Shorted radian wires and rubbing air bag on the passenger side causing significant possibility for air bag failure. Dodge dealer offers no recall or recourse other than costly repair, only to reoccur. Feel like this is an extreme safety hazard in many ways.

- Petal, MS, USA

Jan 012008

Ram 1500 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that the instrument panel began to crack in January of 2008. By June of 2008, the panel had cracked into small pieces and a piece fell into the air conditioning motor, which prevented him from using the air conditioner. The dealer would not repair the vehicle for free and is charging $800. The manufacturer provided the contact with reference number 17583492 and advised him to check with the dealer. The contact feels that the manufacturer should replace the instrument panel for free. The failure mileage was 100,000 and current mileage was 116,000. Updated 09/13/08. Updated 09/17/08.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Nov 222007

Cracked dashboard.

- Corona, CA, USA

Jul 162006

Ram 1500 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500. The plastic between the windshield and the dashboard has cracked in seven different areas. The cracks have become progressively worse over the course of one year. There are no exposed wires. The dealer stated that they can repair the dashboard at the contact's expense. The current mileage is 70,100 and failure mileage was 60,000.

- Miami, FL, USA

Apr 052006

Ram 1500 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that the dashboard has several cracks. The cracks extend from the beginning of the windshield to the end of the dashboard. The vehicle has not been diagnosed. The purchase date was unknown. The current mileage is 53,000 and failure mileage was 45,000.

- Coopers City, FL, USA

Jun 272007

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab. The other day, I got into my truck and noticed a small crack in the center of the dash near the vent. Next day, I get in and there are 4 cracks. Today, my dash cracked over the edge near the passenger side airbag. After getting online and seeing that this is a common problem, I would like to see something done about this issue (ie - free dash replacements from Dodge). I have had no other complaints about this truck but this is a little ridiculous. This is definitely a manufacturer problem and should be replaced for free. This is what Chrysler/Dodge gets for trying to cheapen their materials in order to save a buck.

- Points, WV, USA

May 152006

Ram 1500 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that over the course of a year, his dashboard has disintegrated into pieces. The defroster vent on the driver side is completely gone. The VIN and purchase date were unknown. The current mileage is 53,000 and failure mileage was 40,000.

- Miami, FL, USA

Mar 042004

Ram 1500 8-cyl

2002 Dodge 1500 pickup truck has a major problem with cracking in the dash.

- Rockledge, FL, USA

Feb 152003

Ram 1500

While driving the vehicle experienced heavy vibration.

- Windsor, VA, USA

Aug 052002

Ram 1500 8-cyl

I have a 2002 Dodge Ram that replaced a lemon 2001 Dodge Ram. The 02 has had a problem with the front end pulling and shacking since the day received the truck it has been in for service 5 times since August 5th 2002. It also has problems with the engine idle allways dropping below 500 rpms and trying to stall along with very hard downshifting when coming to a stop. The dealers allways say unable to duplicate problem even though it happens on my way home from the dealer it is very frustarting to drop off the truck for days at a time once or twice a month and then be told unable to duplicate the problem and get in the truck and it happen but the dealers claim they dont feel the problem or can't find the problem. The tsb's for the engine idle have been performed and all it did was make it no stall out completly only idle way down and also my gas milage and the overall performance to go down. I have requested Dodge buy this thing they call the mayor back on Nov 15th 02 and they have not responded. What can I do now daimler is just ignoring my problems with this truck. I built a anti Dodge website trying to get there attention as to how many other people are having these trouble as well and I have posted emails and stories from them on the web site.

- N Richland Hills, TX, USA