CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 has the well-known and documented problem with their dashboards falling to pieces, but it also has engine failure from oil sludge. That's a doube shot of awful in your morning coffee.

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 seat belts / air bags problems

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 252016

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V312000 (air bags); however, the part for the recall repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The contact had not experienced a failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Summerdale, AL, USA

Aug 222016

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500. While driving at an unknown speed, the contact's vehicle crashed into a second vehicle. The front end sustained significant damage, but the air bags did not deploy. The driver sustained a fractured neck, which required medical attention. A police report was filed and the vehicle was towed. The cause of the failure was not diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 129,000.

- Malone, WI, USA

May 012015

Ram 1500

Recall: May 2015, made many trips to Dodge dealer in 2015 and early 2016, they could not or would not repair defect

- Greenfield, IN, USA

Jan 292016

Ram 1500

Takata recall- I own a late 2002 Dodge Ram 1500. 2002 was a mid year change so my body is exactly the same as the 2003-2007 (or so) Ram. I'd be willing to bet the farm my air bag is a takata brand the same as the 2003 which has been recalled. Given that, why isn't my vehicle on the list? thank you

- Milwaukie, OR, USA

Nov 172015

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500. While driving approximately 45 mph, the vehicle crashed into a pine tree. The air bags failed to deploy. The contact sustained injuries to the neck, back, and leg. The passenger sustained injuries to the neck, back, and left leg. The other passenger sustained injuries to the back and head. Medical attention was not required. A police report was filed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 195,982.

- Marion, AL, USA

Oct 012013

Ram 1500

I am being ignored on a seat belt recall nearly all 4.7 engines have oil pan failure

- Marinette, WI, USA

Mar 272015

Ram 1500

Driving and got sick passed out hit concrete wall at least 45 mph air bags did not implode truck is totaled damage to truck is extensive very upset the air bags did not work any recalls on this thank you

- Lake St Louis, MO, USA

Mar 152006

Ram 1500

Dashboard begin cracking and finally in a couple days of weeks broke apart completely as I had been in a crash.I called the company they said the warranty had expired.I told them I have 1992 Ford aerostar whose dashboard was completely.intact and that it was much older it had to be a structural defect. They offer to pay half which meant I had to pay $500 dollars, which I didn't have. I felt they should pay all of it. Also the airbag light is on and the RPM accelerate without me pushing the gas pedal.I took many times to the dealership and they said they would fix it but they never did.

- Brownsville Tx., TX, USA

Jun 112014

Ram 1500

Vehicle problem first started when turning steering wheel to the right entirely. Currently vehicle airbag light comes on and of through all ranges of steering.

- Felton, PA, USA

Jun 012010

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Dash is cracking everywhere and pieces are falling off, doubt that if the vehicle was in a crash that the air bag would work properly, and if it did or did not, little piece of the dash would fly every where and cut the passengers and the air bag. Contacted Chrysler and they will do nothing below is Chrysler response, like they threaten you that if you email again it will go in the corporate records, I told them I hope that it did. Needless to say they don't understand how to retain customers and sell new trucks. Thank you for your recent email, although it does not contain any information that would cause a change in the previous decision. Your request must again be respectfully declined. Any future communication related to this issue will be retained in corporate records.

- Kerrville, TX, USA

Jun 122013

Ram 1500 8-cyl

There was an electrical failure in the wiring system from the fuse block this is known to be a common problem with the Dodge Ram the ABS light, brake light and airbag light as well as the engine light all come on also the odometer and speedometer also stop working. This stops the ABS system from working as well as the airbags I have had to change the fuse block as well as the rear speed sensor, and the dash cluster because of this over a three year period now, the first time all of my lights stopped working as well as the dash gauges and door locks. Why is this and ongoing problem with this and nothing seems to get done about it the first time I got a copy of a service bulletin and Dodge tried to tell me it was only good for diesel models and I have the same issues. There seems to be a real history of these problems with this vehicle and the dealers are all aware of this.

- Pontiac, MI, USA

May 292013

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that while the vehicle was parked, the front driver's side air bag deployed. There was no passenger in the vehicle. The contact also stated that the vehicle failed to start. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure was reported to the manufacturer. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileage was 74,000.

- South Rockwood , MI, USA

Jun 072008

Ram 1500

I was just driving along, crack my dash cracked from front end to almost the back. The crack caused me to jump swerve my truck almost causing an accident. Dodge has been no help and my dash has deteriorated even more ever since, I'm getting very worried it might affect the air bags as all the dash pieces fall into the recess where the air bags are which would be a bad thing should there be an accident.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jun 092004

Ram 1500 8-cyl

My dash has completely cracked and is in pieces, (sharp pieces), it could affect the wiring in my dash, if I did have an accident the air bags in the dash could throw those sharp pieces at me and my passengers. Note: These crack were at no fault of mine or my passengers. The cracks started two years after I bought the truck brand new.

- Blythe, CA, USA

May 312012

Ram 1500 6-cyl

Dodge collided with another vehicle in the front left and then the other vehicle spun around and hit the side of the Dodge. All safety airbags in car failed to deploy and no airbag check light was on during the life of the Dodge. Also the other vehicle was a Dodge and it had less damage and all airbags deployed in that vehicle.

- Wittmann, AZ, USA

Jun 132007

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

5 years after manufacture of this vehicle the dashboards have gone from fractured to nearly completely dissolved. Through research this issue is applicable to all vehicles produced with this make and model. The issue has become a safety concern now that the air bags have become exposed and will not properly inflate if needed. Dodge has received more than 16,000 complaints and insists these faulty parts are the responsibility of the consumer. However they are more than happy to refer you a certified dealer with a replacement cost of approximately 975 dollars us.

- Okmulgee, OK, USA

Aug 272010

Ram 1500 6-cyl

Truck crashed into tree airbag did not deploy came face with steering wheel dash board, chest hit steering wheel and driver door hairline fracture of nose mouth wasbusted up and have problem with neck and back and large knot on forehad, ,truck was total out..,this is a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500, I would like to know why my airbag did not deploy.

- Lanett, AL, USA

Jun 102009

Ram 1500

Air bag light is on and will not go off.

- Hamburg, NJ, USA

Feb 082008

Ram 1500 8-cyl

A vehicle was left unattended on a hillside in direct sunlight after it had already hit a mailbox. I struck vehicle in left rear with my right front it totaled both vehicles. I was driving about 50 mph and never seen car prior to impact. It injured both passengers in back seat both front seat occupants were not injured but airbags never deployed.

- Cusseta, AS, USA

Sep 152007

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

Excessive cracks have formed in both dashboard pieces. The plastic has become very brittle and sharp pieces are beginning to fall into the wiring underneath. Nothing particular happened that caused it, they just appeared overnight. Conversations with the local Dodge dealer and Chrysler customer service yeilded no assistance. I am concerned of the sharp edges of the plastic falling into the dashboard wiring and causing electrical failures while driving or, in the event of an airbag deployment, shards of the shattering plastic impaling the driver or passenger.

- Jacksonville, NC, USA