7.9

1. enough complaints to dodge will get a recall-1-800-992-1997 (223 reports)
  2. replace dashboard (119 reports)
  4. replace dash (15 reports)
  5. band together class action suit- imply fit/merchantability (13 reports)
  6. call 1-866-726-4636 (Dodge) & 1-888-327-4236 (NHTSA) (13 reports)
2003 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Dodge Ram 1500:

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 12 of 25)

Jun 142009

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L

It is a shame that I own a 1997 Ford F-150 and have to this day never had a single crack on my dashboard. You would think with 235,000 miles on it it would look like crap...but it doesn't. I bought this truck because of the size and to replace my dearly departed Ford Expedition. I thought because of the room, horse power, and versatility I was doing great.Put a Fiberglass top on it and a fishing me and four other would go with the gear all nice and dry in my 6.5 foot bed. It has been well taken care of, and because I have multiple vehicles there aren't that many miles on it. Now my fishing buddies are laughing at me. They are Ford lovers. And maybe rightly so. This hurts a whole lot. My wallet still has a hole in it from paying for this truck.Now what...Pay for a ...DASHBOARD !!!!! THIS IS NOT NORMAL WEAR AND TEAR!!! THIS IS A JUST PLAIN WRONG!!!

My Raving is over...for now...I will do some more later!!!

- , Landover Hills, MD, USA

Jun 252008

Ram 1500 5.7L

dodge has had a dash problem for some time even the trucks in the 90s where cracking it makes a really nice truck look really bad.dodge should have to pay to repair this ongoing problem with their trucks.

- , Leesburg, TX, USA

May 102009

Ram 1500 4.7L

I take great pride in my truck. I keep it WELL maintained inside and out. The first crack appeared on the passenger side of the dash in June 2009.WELL within warranty. At the time, Dodge said this model year is not having "any issues or complaints about the dash boards". I called again in 2010 and got the same response. There is a problem in the manufacturing.It is not due to "armor all" as they try to tell us to make it our fault. FIX YOUR ISSUES DODGE!!!!! Why put inferior workmanship in an otherwise great vehicle!!! I had a 1999 Dodge Ram that the dash broke apart completely..It cost me $1000 to have Dodge replace it. THIS IS A BUNCH OF CRAP!!!!

- , Deltona, FL, USA

Aug 032008

Ram 1500 Hemi

beautiful truck in excellent condition. paid a pretty penny for it and expect to have the quality i paid for. could not get $$$ for what it's because dodge made a mistake. My wife won't buy a dodge because of the dashboard and tells everyone about it.

Update from Feb 15, 2012: had to tear down the dash to replace heater mode 2 door so i called chrysler corp service rep to complain about cracked dash and they refunded ,in whole, the amount of the cracked dash pad! could not believe it. thanks chrysler

- , Hixson, TN, USA

Jan 112011

Ram 1500 Thunderroad 5.7L

I had to replace dash because of crack about a year ago and now i have another crack that i am about to have to replace again.

- , Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Jun 062007

Ram 1500 1500 V6

My story is the same as many of the others with the Dodge Ram. First the vent grills broke then a single crack from the window towards the seat. Now I've got so many cracks it aint funny. Check to see how much it is to replace and that's when I really got mad. Never new there were so many other dissatisfied customers.

- , San Antonio, TX, USA

Jan 202010

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

I seem to share the same problem with everyone and their dashboard. Mines started with one of the defrost vents. I just touched it and it caved right in. Two days later there was a crack above the glove compartment. Now theres cracks everywhere, starting from the windshield all the way to the steering wheel. Not to mention I do have a dash cover and it doesn't even cover all of the cracks since it's so far down. I also cut my finger on one of the cracks. How can it not be recalled when everyone is having the same problem.

- , Hilo, HI, USA

Sep 012009

Ram 1500 4.7L V8

I also have a 2003 dodge ram 1500 with cracked dashboard. No help from Dodge. I think it's about time for a class action lawsuit to make dodge recall or fix our trucks. Anyone know a good lawyer that would take the case?

- , Port Saint Lucie, FL, US

Jan 092012

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L Hemi

Same as everyone else. Wasn't there yesterday, today about a 6" crack just left of the glovebox on the top of the dash. I take good care of my truck so it will take good care of me... and now this.

- , Conway, NC, USA

Jan 082012

Ram 1500

Car is is great shape and been well maintained. Two large cracks in the dash for no reason.

- , Laguna Niguel, CA, USA

Dec 082010

Ram 1500

Great truck! Dashboard is a mess with cracks, one of the vents just crumpled the other day!

- , Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jul 222011

Ram 1500 LS

ive got 3 or 4 places on my dash that have cracked and keep getting worse, i hear its a problem with a lot of dodge trucks. needs to be replaced by DODGE

- , Henderson, TN, USA

Dec 012011

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

Noticed the first crack about a month ago around speaker grill. Then 2 more appeared at each heat vent. Today I get a crack on the main dash right above the glove box. I guess I'm lucky, it only took 8 years for mine to start what appears to be a significant issue. It sure looks like crap... considering I take pride in what my vehicles look like.

- , Lynchburg, VA, USA

Aug 102006

Ram 1500 ST 5.7L Hemi V8

Love the truck but Dodge should have to take some responsibility for this dashboard crack epidemic. My truck got its first crack 3 years from new purchase date. Started at the AC vent and now I have at least 10 large cracks throughout dash.

- , Hawthorne, CA, US

Jan 012007

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L Hemi Magnum

It is pretty sad day in America when an American made truck does not last over 4 years without falling apart. It's even sadder when the persons responsible will not admit it.

- , Katy, TX, US

Jul 252011

Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7L V8

Started off as a small crack above both passenger side air vents... the next week noticed that it had extended from the air vent, almost all the way up to the windshield. Looks a lot like the pic that that is shown on here already. I always take care of my vehicles and take pride in that....then this happens. I had heard reports of this but I was hoping I might get by this without incident. I love my Dodge Ram and have had no problems at all...the only problems have to do with the plastics used in the interior..what to do?

Dodge should really take care of this problem. If this is something they do not perform a recall on..they should at least help with the expense of having this replaced.

- , Anderson, SC, USA

Jun 012011

Ram 1500 Sport 5.7L

CRACK JUST APPEARED ONE DAY. WHY?? IS THERE GOING TO BE A RECALL??

- , Chesterfield, MI, USA

Jun 302008

Ram 1500 Hemi

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard

Called Dodge. They said get estimate- estimate sent to dodge- dodge approved repair- dealer said I had to pay for it- call dodge again - Yes I pay and AFTER repair is confirmed complete, dodge reimburses me. I asked for a written agreement, confirmation, written promise, SOME kind of proof. Dodge says they are prohibited from doing that.

Summary: The dealer does not trust dodge to pay and tells me to pay. Dodge will not back up verbal promise, so I don't trust Dodge either. Walks like a duck, quacks like a duck. I would rather sue Dodge. Find a lawyer who needs $$, go on TV, advertise for a class action suit and make Dodge fix ALL the trucks. These trucks were sold in subtropical & tropical climates and implied warrented for service in these climates. In fact the plastic used for the interior was incapable of resisting UV degradation and extreme heat and should never have been sold for use in these climates. Ford does not have this problem with their plastic, so we know the plastic formula is a can do.

All along Dodge reps refused to let me speak with higher ups. I pointed out how irate the big wigs will be when they learn the underlings allowed this to escalate to a nationwide lawsuit & that I was going to name underling names. They must be hiring mentally challenged phone bank reps, as the reps could not connect the dots to realize their actions would result in their termination once a suit is filed.

- , Ruskin, FL, USA

Sep 222011

Ram 1500

When I got into my truck today I noticed a large crack on my dash. The crack ran the length from windshield to back of dash. This is the same spot every one else is complaining about just to the left side of glove box. I'd take very good care of my truck there was no reason for this to happen. Dodge should take care of this problem. I have own many vehicles that were new and never had the dash crack on me. I thought dodge made a good truck but now I am not so sure. With all the complaints from this ,dodge should replace free of charge. This has to be a safety issue why doesn't dodge knowledge this. I gave dodge a try but now I think I will have to go back to ford, Chevy

- , Baltimore, MD, USA

May 012007

Ram 1500

You pay a pretty penny for reliable transportation and the interior falls apart before you can get it paid off. And, the cracked dashboard looks terrible, also looks dangerous.

- , Kemp, TX, USA