7.9

1. enough complaints to dodge will get a recall-1-800-992-1997 (224 reports)
  2. replace dashboard (121 reports)
  4. replace dash (15 reports)
  5. band together class action suit- imply fit/merchantability (13 reports)
  6. call 1-866-726-4636 (Dodge) & 1-888-327-4236 (NHTSA) (13 reports)
2003 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Dodge Ram 1500:

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 12 of 26)

Sep 012011

Ram 1500 Quad Cab Slt 5.7L

I found out about the many owners who have this problem just as I was considering a new Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn. Now I am looking at Toyota.

Update from Mar 5, 2012: After my call to Dodge, they promised to try to help, but I must first have an estimate done at a local Dodge dealer. To fix it they want $2,129.87 which is $1,257.87 for the part and $109.00 per hour for 8 hours. By the way the 3 different people I talk with all agreed the part is still thew same one...defective. It makes absolutely no sense to spend any money on something that will brake again.

An update will follow when and if they offer any financial assistance by way of a reduction of the part price and/or the labor cost. I will also call NHTSA just to voice my displeasure.

Update from Mar 13, 2012: My case # with Dodge Ram is 21938921 and the guy handling it is Simon 866 726-4636 ext 4718177. That's the longest extension I have ever seen, but it works...sometimes.

Simon offered to have the dash fixed for $300, but admitted after I pressed him that the replacement parts are still the same defective ones. They may crack just like the originals. It appears Chrysler just refuses to accept responsibility for this problem and are hoping it just goes away.

After checking the alternatives with suppliers that claim their dashes have a chemical added to keep them from cracking, I decided to agree to have the Dodge people fix it for $300, since the others would be a lot more expensive and I would have to do the job myself. I'm an "old fart" on Social Security so these repairs is not within my skill level.

Well Simon was supposed to call me back with a date for the repairs by that afternoon. My conversation with Simon was about a week ago and I have heard nothing from him. I smell a rat here and they may have changed their mind and hope I just go away. I did a parts search on partsvoice.com and found that no one had both parts needed. To be fair to Simon and Dodge that could be the problem. We'll see!

Update from Apr 5, 2013: I made the mistake of trusting the Dodge Ram people to fix this dash problem and now I find out they created another one. They agreed to charge me $300 to replace the two dash pieces and they did the work on April 17, 2012. All seemed fine until my wife used the truck in late March. She is 5 feet tall and weighs about 115 lbs and she does not like to drive the truck.

To ease entry into the truck she grabbed the A-pillar handle to pull herself into the cab. It came completely off and she fell to the curb and injured her rib when she landed on her side. We got 5 x-rays and there is no broken ribs fortunately.

I never use the grab handle because I am 6' 2" and have no trouble stepping into the cab. An examination of the A-pillar trim piece shows the bracket through which two bolts attach it to the A-pillar broke off. There is nothing but a couple of flimsy alignment clips holding this in place. Even a child could have caused it to come off.

The question is who is responsible for this defective safety issue? My logical first guess is the Dodge dealer who installed the new dash somehow broke it during the installation process. Their quote for labor to install the dash was 8 hours @ $109/hr so that tells me this is not an easy job. The other possibility is that it came from the factory that way. It looks like someone put some glue on the pieces to try to re-attached them.

Dodge says they won't pay anything. When I asked if they would pay for the doctors bill and x-rays, they said someone will call me about that the next week. Two weeks have past and no call has been received.

The new part is cheap, but the fix will require someone to get one of the two bolts out because it is just spinning and will not come out.

- , Cypress, TX, USA

Sep 082009

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

I went to the local dealership here in San Antonio Texas and he told me that the cracked dashes have been a problem everywhere from about the 1999 model on up to the 2004. I have never used amour all on my dash, I use sparingly, a cleaner with UV protection due to the heat here in Texas, I also use a fold windshield UV reflector to keep the sun off the dash. It started with a small crack right in the middle, which eventually went all the way across the front panel. As of recently the dash has developed several more cracks even in the thicker portions of the dash that is the piece closest to the passengers, a major concern of mine is the if the air bag were to go off on the passenger side the possibility of large pieces of the dash could go right into the face of my passenger. This issue could be a very dangerous liability for Dodge, If it were to happen you can sure bet I will be calling a lawyer, especially due to the number of complaints on this issue.

- , Cibolo, TX, USA

Mar 012011

Ram 1500 4.7L V8

I called Dodge about the cracked dashboard on my 2003 dodge 1500 Ram truck and the lady at Dodge denied my claim. I have purchased three brand new Dodge truck from Dodge (1998, 2002, 2003) but will not be buying anymore new vehicles from Dodge since Dodge will not stand behind their product.

- , Asheboro, NC, USA

Jun 142009

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L

It is a shame that I own a 1997 Ford F-150 and have to this day never had a single crack on my dashboard. You would think with 235,000 miles on it it would look like crap...but it doesn't. I bought this truck because of the size and to replace my dearly departed Ford Expedition. I thought because of the room, horse power, and versatility I was doing great.Put a Fiberglass top on it and a fishing me and four other would go with the gear all nice and dry in my 6.5 foot bed. It has been well taken care of, and because I have multiple vehicles there aren't that many miles on it. Now my fishing buddies are laughing at me. They are Ford lovers. And maybe rightly so. This hurts a whole lot. My wallet still has a hole in it from paying for this truck.Now what...Pay for a ...DASHBOARD !!!!! THIS IS NOT NORMAL WEAR AND TEAR!!! THIS IS A JUST PLAIN WRONG!!!

My Raving is over...for now...I will do some more later!!!

- , Landover Hills, MD, USA

Jun 252008

Ram 1500 5.7L

dodge has had a dash problem for some time even the trucks in the 90s where cracking it makes a really nice truck look really bad.dodge should have to pay to repair this ongoing problem with their trucks.

- , Leesburg, TX, USA

May 102009

Ram 1500 4.7L

I take great pride in my truck. I keep it WELL maintained inside and out. The first crack appeared on the passenger side of the dash in June 2009.WELL within warranty. At the time, Dodge said this model year is not having "any issues or complaints about the dash boards". I called again in 2010 and got the same response. There is a problem in the manufacturing.It is not due to "armor all" as they try to tell us to make it our fault. FIX YOUR ISSUES DODGE!!!!! Why put inferior workmanship in an otherwise great vehicle!!! I had a 1999 Dodge Ram that the dash broke apart completely..It cost me $1000 to have Dodge replace it. THIS IS A BUNCH OF CRAP!!!!

- , Deltona, FL, USA

Aug 032008

Ram 1500 Hemi

beautiful truck in excellent condition. paid a pretty penny for it and expect to have the quality i paid for. could not get $$$ for what it's because dodge made a mistake. My wife won't buy a dodge because of the dashboard and tells everyone about it.

Update from Feb 15, 2012: had to tear down the dash to replace heater mode 2 door so i called chrysler corp service rep to complain about cracked dash and they refunded ,in whole, the amount of the cracked dash pad! could not believe it. thanks chrysler

- , Hixson, TN, USA

Jan 112011

Ram 1500 Thunderroad 5.7L

I had to replace dash because of crack about a year ago and now i have another crack that i am about to have to replace again.

- , Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Jun 062007

Ram 1500 1500 V6

My story is the same as many of the others with the Dodge Ram. First the vent grills broke then a single crack from the window towards the seat. Now I've got so many cracks it aint funny. Check to see how much it is to replace and that's when I really got mad. Never new there were so many other dissatisfied customers.

- , San Antonio, TX, USA

Jan 202010

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

I seem to share the same problem with everyone and their dashboard. Mines started with one of the defrost vents. I just touched it and it caved right in. Two days later there was a crack above the glove compartment. Now theres cracks everywhere, starting from the windshield all the way to the steering wheel. Not to mention I do have a dash cover and it doesn't even cover all of the cracks since it's so far down. I also cut my finger on one of the cracks. How can it not be recalled when everyone is having the same problem.

- , Hilo, HI, USA

Sep 012009

Ram 1500 4.7L V8

I also have a 2003 dodge ram 1500 with cracked dashboard. No help from Dodge. I think it's about time for a class action lawsuit to make dodge recall or fix our trucks. Anyone know a good lawyer that would take the case?

- , Port Saint Lucie, FL, US

Jan 092012

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L Hemi

Same as everyone else. Wasn't there yesterday, today about a 6" crack just left of the glovebox on the top of the dash. I take good care of my truck so it will take good care of me... and now this.

- , Conway, NC, USA

Jan 082012

Ram 1500

Car is is great shape and been well maintained. Two large cracks in the dash for no reason.

- , Laguna Niguel, CA, USA

Dec 082010

Ram 1500

Great truck! Dashboard is a mess with cracks, one of the vents just crumpled the other day!

- , Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jul 222011

Ram 1500 LS

ive got 3 or 4 places on my dash that have cracked and keep getting worse, i hear its a problem with a lot of dodge trucks. needs to be replaced by DODGE

- , Henderson, TN, USA

Dec 012011

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

Noticed the first crack about a month ago around speaker grill. Then 2 more appeared at each heat vent. Today I get a crack on the main dash right above the glove box. I guess I'm lucky, it only took 8 years for mine to start what appears to be a significant issue. It sure looks like crap... considering I take pride in what my vehicles look like.

- , Lynchburg, VA, USA

Aug 102006

Ram 1500 ST 5.7L Hemi V8

Love the truck but Dodge should have to take some responsibility for this dashboard crack epidemic. My truck got its first crack 3 years from new purchase date. Started at the AC vent and now I have at least 10 large cracks throughout dash.

- , Hawthorne, CA, US

Jan 012007

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L Hemi Magnum

It is pretty sad day in America when an American made truck does not last over 4 years without falling apart. It's even sadder when the persons responsible will not admit it.

- , Katy, TX, US

Jul 252011

Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7L V8

Started off as a small crack above both passenger side air vents... the next week noticed that it had extended from the air vent, almost all the way up to the windshield. Looks a lot like the pic that that is shown on here already. I always take care of my vehicles and take pride in that....then this happens. I had heard reports of this but I was hoping I might get by this without incident. I love my Dodge Ram and have had no problems at all...the only problems have to do with the plastics used in the interior..what to do?

Dodge should really take care of this problem. If this is something they do not perform a recall on..they should at least help with the expense of having this replaced.

- , Anderson, SC, USA

Jun 012011

Ram 1500 Sport 5.7L

CRACK JUST APPEARED ONE DAY. WHY?? IS THERE GOING TO BE A RECALL??

- , Chesterfield, MI, USA