1. enough complaints to dodge will get a recall-1-800-992-1997 (222 reports)
  2. replace dashboard (116 reports)
  4. replace dash (15 reports)
  5. band together class action suit- imply fit/merchantability (13 reports)
  6. call 1-866-726-4636 (Dodge) & 1-888-327-4236 (NHTSA) (13 reports)
2003 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Dodge Ram 1500:

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 15 of 25)

Dec 012009

Ram 1500 5.9L

just wish to have my dash board is cracked and looks like crap..

- , Stambaugh, KY, USA

Aug 132008

Ram 1500

if dodge does not fix these cracked dashboard on 2003 dodge ram 1500 i am gone to ask every not to buy any dodge need repair this item before the the air bag on the passanger side hurt someone. dodge talking 1,250 dollars to repair something that no about the problem for years not quailty parts on the dashboard.

- , Kyle, TX, USA

Jan 222011

Ram 1500 4.7L

I take care of all my vehicles as I do with everything I own. But to watch my dash crack apart as im driving down the road is rediculus. How can Dodge or any other auto manufacturer not see how dangerous this could be. Im afraid to drive the truck worried about wether or no the dash is going to fly apart when I turn on the defrost and get hit in the eye and crash.

- , Baltimore, MD, USA

May 122010

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

i got my 2003 ram almost a year ago, and i absolutely love this truck exept for the dash. when i got it, it had one crack which is the same one that every dodge with a dash crack has which is the one on the passenger side to the top left of the airbag. Over the time i have had it this truck this as gotten absolutly horrendus. i dont want to put a dash mat on it, that looks like butt... and i definately dont have the mony for a new one... and all the trucks in the junk yard either someone else has got it first or it has the same problem...

i have always adored dodge and just about everything they make, that is all i have ever owned. my first vehicle was a 84 dodge ram it dident have any problem like this.

- , Rockingham, NC, USA

Jan 152010

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L

It is definately not the worst issue with my Dodge! I have no heat!, continual issue with driver rear light shorting out and numerous gas cap replacements however, luckily I do not have youngsters around because someone would have injuries from all the sharp edges where the dash has cracked.

- , Richardson, TX, USA

Apr 042005

Ram 1500 LT 4.7L

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 truck. The dashboard cracked. When it was first noticed, I took it to the dealer who said there was a recall and they could order parts but I had to pay for some of it. I believe it is an engineering problem along with the quality of the material used to manufacture it. The first replacement order the dealership ordered came in wrong. It was time consuming and painful. When I got the truck home I saw a hairline fracture again. I waited for the breakage to happen again. It did. I went to the junk yard and got a crashed trucks dash board (another year truck). Had it painted at the paint shop to match the interior. I installed it. (I am a mechanic) So far so good. It's been 5 + years and still working out.

- , Orlando, FL, USA

Apr 012011

Ram 1500 4.7L

Dash is cracked over the passenger airbag. Safety issue. 1999 dodge ram did the exact same thing.

- , Shepherdsville, KY, USA

Mar 172011

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab pick up and the dash cracked just to the left of the glove box. I think this should be a recall because I have several friends and one that owns a car lot and they all say it is a problem.They all own and sell this model truck. If it is this bad a problem it should be a definite recall situation. Dodge should know this and own up to it and fix this problem !!!

- , Doerun, GA, USA

Jun 012008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

Take great care of my autos but I've never seen a dash crack this bad.

- , Hixson, TN, USA

Jun 012010

Ram 1500

What a mess. Dashboard broken into several pieces with grilles busted out and a couple of pieces actually falling through. Never seen anything like it.

- , Bedford, TX, USA

Aug 032009

Ram 1500 5.3L Hemi

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 truck. The dashboard is cracked all to pieces. When it was first noticed, I took it to the dealer who said there was nothing that they could do. It continued to get worse. I was told it was armorall. I don't believe that is the cause. I have had other vehicles that has armor all applied and was older and never had a problem with it before. I believe it is an engineering problem along with the quality of the material used to manufacture it. It is pretty bad when there is a web site devoted just for this problem. I have had other dodge owners tell me that they have had the same problem. I think Dodge needs to replace this. I have tried to put some glue on it to stop it from cracking anymoe but that didn't help. If it keeps going like it is, I wont have a top dash board left.

This is the 3rd dodge product that I have had. If this keeps up, I will be seeking a different make the next time around. I have really enjoyed this vehicle but this problem is getting really bad. DODGE PLEASE FIX THIS PROBLEM. YOU KNOW IT IS A PROBLEM.

Update from Apr 6, 2011: I am in the process of having it repaired with Dodge/Chrysler's help. I ended up paying about 25% of the cost to replace it which ended up costing Dodge a lot more than expected. I ended up spending about 7 hours at the dealership while 2 sometimes 3 people worked on it the entire time. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DO THIS ON YOUR OWN. I had my doubts if they would ever get it back like it should be. It looked great, like brand new when they were finished. However I am in the process of taking it back to the dealer for a bad rattle around the glove compartment. I knew there would be a rattle when it was finished. Also for some strange reason, the radio is not working as it should. Put it on scan and it will find two radio stations. We have plenty of great radio station in the geographical area. The satellite radio assigned to a blank FM radio station is no longer working either. It will be fixed by the dealer when vehicle is returned to the dealership.

The first replacement order the dealership ordered came in wrong. Everyone was expecting the repair part to be in one part but it came with at least 4 various parts.

Chrysler/Dodge has really been diligent on returning phone calls and following up with the work.

Arthur B. Clark

- , Leesburg, GA, USA

Dec 112010

Ram 1500

i have had 3 dodge vehicles and love the truck, but I am amazed at how many complaints there are for this problem!! Dodge should stand behind their product and offer some sort of recall or deductible to have this fixed!

- , Brunswick, GA, USA

Jan 012008

Ram 1500

My dash has numerous cracks that continue to worsen. What used to be vents are now just rectangular holes. One crack runs the entire width of my dash. I'm afraid to simply wipe it clean because more pieces cave in. This is not normal wear and tear. The plastic is way too thin to be used as this type of interior. Needs to be replaced.

- , Knoxville, TN, USA

Apr 162008

Ram 1500

My husband and I are both Dodge owners. I own a 2007 Dodge RT Charger and purchased it new. My husband owns a beautiful 2003 Red Dodge Ram pickup, well at least the outside is beautiful. The dash started cracking and now is cracked from one side to the other and it is now cracking vertically. I expect shortly he will be able to take it out in pieces. I understand that Dodge had their financial woes just the same as every struggling family in the US today, however, they have an obligation to Dodge owners to fix this problem. I would hope they want to keep customers in good standing, however refusing to fix a problem that was definitely a manufacturing problem only compounds the problem.

- , Covington, GA, USA

Nov 122008

Ram 1500 3.6L V6

i do not think it is the consumers fault for the damages to the dashboard if dodge knew they were using material that was not good they should make good on the recall fort his problem and fix it. they didn't mind taking the payments for the vehicle so they should make themselves responsible i have purchased several vehicles with chrysler/dodge company and this is the only major problem i have had with trhe vehicles. being i am a good customer of theirs i believe they should replace the dashboard on the truck.

- , Pharr, TX, USA

Oct 122010

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

Hello guys and gals. well here we go again. my dash is cracked in three places on passenger side air bag and the two windshield vents. i called chrysler they told me to take it to the dealer where i purchased it from so they can take picture and access the (defect) damage. so i did that they took pics and such i waited after a while the shop manager comes back and tells me there's nothing they can do its not this point i was steaming i wish there was something we could do. you pay 30k for truck you would expect the dash not to cave in....any help....suggestions...thanks.

- , Abbeville, LA, USA

Sep 152009

Ram 1500 5.7L V8

So one day I get in my truck and just see a massive crack across my dashboard, immediately I go into the house and start to interrogate my wife about how that could have happened. Unable to come up with a logical explanation of how my entire dash could be cracked!, I began looking up the cost of a replacement dash and saw I couldn't afford that since it wasn't necessarily a show stopper for me yet! About a year has passed now and there are now three cracks across my top and it is driving me crazy cause I take very good care of my truck and this is the sore spot. Now that I have found on the internet this is a huge problem because Dodge has decided to use cheap materials to lower cost and boost their personal profits (I have nothing against that as long as your product remains durable like you claim) I think we should be at least given discounts on replacing this part.

- , Kaneohe, HI, USA

Aug 102010

Ram 1500 LS 4.6L V8

I have taken excellent care of my 03 dodge from engine maintenance to appearance. And there is nothing I could have done to stop the cracking. Dodge did except the fact that it was not due to my negligence, but wanted me to foot the bill on 4800.00 to replace my dash and they would reimburse me some of the money. So here I sit with a CRACKED BUSTED up dash until I have 4800.00 to shell out or dodge does the right thing and replace my dash

- , Zephyrhills, FL, USA

Jul 142009

Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab 4X4 5.7L

I love my truck, but I always thought that a hard plastic dash was a bad idea. When the cracks started, it only confirmed my fears. The dealer said that it isn't their responsibility, and since Chrysler has had all of their financial woes, they wouldn't be covering it either. I've seen the same problem on other Dodge trucks. Come on Dodge, we've bought American, back up your product and get repeat customers.

- , Long Beach, CA, USA

Feb 032011

Ram 1500 Quad Cab

While driving to work on the interstate in my truck, i put the drivers side window down to try and get some of the frost off of the window. All of a sudden a small piece of my dashboard came off by the wind hitting it and flew and hit me on my forehead. The piece that flew off was part of the defroster grill. If that piece would have hit me in the eye, it is a strong possibility that i could have had a very bad accident or death. Chrysler need to own up to their responsibility and stand behind their vehicles like GM and Ford does and fix this nationwide problem. I have a 1984 Cadillac that sits in the sun day after day, and the dash has not 1 crack in it. Now this is a 27 year old car compared to my 2003 Dodge Ram 1500, which is 8 years old. You do the math. STEP UP CHRYSLER AND BE LOYAL TO YOUR CUSTOMERS. CUSTOMERS ALWAYS RIGHT.

- , Opelousas, LA, USA