7.9

1. enough complaints to dodge will get a recall-1-800-992-1997 (224 reports)
  2. replace dashboard (121 reports)
  4. replace dash (15 reports)
  5. band together class action suit- imply fit/merchantability (13 reports)
  6. call 1-866-726-4636 (Dodge) & 1-888-327-4236 (NHTSA) (13 reports)
2003 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Dodge Ram 1500:

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 15 of 26)

Jan 012009

Ram 1500 SLT 4.8L

Dash is cracked in several places and the grill area over the speakers has completely just fell out and cracked through. Dealer only wanted $1200 to fix. Said it was not part of the warranty.

- , Temple, TX, USA

Jul 082011

Ram 1500

i have had three dodge trucks, 1980,1998,and current 2003, looking at trading this year, but the dealers i'm looking at want to drop the value of my truck on trade-in, because my dash has some cracks that just started about 2 months ago, surely dodge will agree to fix this at the time of my trade-in, if not, i will get a ford this year, friends of mine say they are great trucks. DODGE, please make this right, i really love your trucks, must see my truck to appreciate the care i take keeping it looking good.

- , Westminster, SC, USA

Jan 012008

Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7L Hemi

MY DODGE RAM 1500 DASH IS CRACKING EVERYWHERE. IN ALL THE YEARS I HAVE OWNED VEHICLES, THIS IS THE ONLY DASH THAT HAS CRACKED! THIS APPEARS TO BE A DEFECT IN THE DASH MATERIAL AND DODGE SHOULD REPLACE THIS PROBLEM. WHO WILL EVER BUY A VEHICLE KNOWING THE DASH WILL CRACK AND FALL APART!

BEN---SPRINGFIELD, MO

- , Springfield, MO, USA

Aug 012011

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L Ltr Hemi

The dash in my 2003 Dodge Ram is crumbling into pieces. It is literally disintegrating. A 2 inch chunk fell down into glove box. The dealer, Stockton Dodge generously offered to sell me a new one. Thanks a bunch! I called Chrysler who told me the same thing. Based on what I have seen here this is a product defect and Chrysler should be held accountable for selling a defective product.

- , Stockton, CA, USA

Mar 012011

Ram 1500 4.7L

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 and the dashboard is cracking all over the place. If you touch it pieces will fall off. It started in the middle and now it is cracking on both sides.I see that other people are having the same problems.

- , New Iberia, LA, US

Jun 272011

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V6

I keep the truck in GOOD working order but noticed a couple of weeks ago that the dash top has a crack. The crack in the dashboard goes from front of dash to windshield and is located above the top of the left side of the glove box. I read others who have almost the exact same crack location in their complaints. Must be a weak spot or a stress point in the dash design/install. I called my local dealer and was told it would be an out of pocket cost to me. Not going to spend the money on that repair since I have already had to replace the A/C, the drive select rod (dealer said it "fell off"), and had numerous check engine errors that seem to "fix themselves" and go away once the dealer has it in the bay.

I've had numerous cars older than 8 years old and never had damage to the interior like this. Sounds like a quality issue and is making me question buying Dodge again.

Update from Jun 11, 2012: Customer Care offered to replace my dashboard for $500 plus tax as a deposit for the dashboard replacement parts. I declined the offer since that was the retail cost of the materials anyway - what a joke of an offer.

- , Orlando, FL, USA

Jul 012011

Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi

ridiculous, I was cleaning my dashboard and realized there were 3-4 cracks in the dashboard. Just a cheap piece of plastic.

- , Washington, PA, USA

Jul 082010

Ram 1500

I have 3 big cracks on my dash in my 2003 dodge ram. "I get pissed off every time I get in my truck". I don't even want to think about how much it would cost to replace it.

- , Witt, IL, USA

Jun 012011

Ram 1500

Through no fault of my own, my dash is cracked. Can't believe Dodge won't do anything about it. For this alone I will never buy another Dodge. If you don't stand by your work you don't deserve my hard earned money!

- , Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jul 012010

Ram 1500

Dash is cracked and parts are expensive. Took care of vehicle, no reason for dash to have cracked. WILL NOT PURCASE ANOTHER........I HAVE HAD TOO MANY PROBLEMS WITH THIS TRUCK.

- , Burleson, TX, USA

Mar 182011

Ram 1500 ST 3.7L V6

After hearing several Service Department Managers tell me there was nothing to do for my broken dash, and reading the numerous complaints telling of little or no resolution, I had come to terms with my 12 cracks which ran throughout my 03 Ram dashboard. However, I came across a number from a poster on this site who had gotten his dash fixed. So, I called the Chrysler Customer Care Case Management Group at 1-800-763-8422 expecting to hear again about how nothing could be done to fix my dash. Man was I suprised at how friendly and easy of a process it was to fix my dash. I called on Thursday March 10th, THEY CALLED ME BACK on Friday March 11th assigning me a case number and case manager. On Saturday March 12th I took my truck to my local dealer where he did a 15 minute evaluation and sent off some paperwork to my case manager. Within 6 hours my case manager CALLED ME BACK AGAIN and told me for a 150 dollar deductible I could get a new replacement dash installed at my local dealer. I set an appointment and within a week my problem was solved.

I now have a new dash which increased the value and look of my truck. I could not be happier with Dodge and their customer service. God bless America, and God bless Dodge.

- , Jacksonville, FL, US

Dec 012009

Ram 1500 5.9L

just wish to have my dash board repaired..it is cracked and looks like crap..

- , Stambaugh, KY, USA

Aug 132008

Ram 1500

if dodge does not fix these cracked dashboard on 2003 dodge ram 1500 i am gone to ask every not to buy any dodge need repair this item before the the air bag on the passanger side hurt someone. dodge talking 1,250 dollars to repair something that no about the problem for years not quailty parts on the dashboard.

- , Kyle, TX, USA

Jan 222011

Ram 1500 4.7L

I take care of all my vehicles as I do with everything I own. But to watch my dash crack apart as im driving down the road is rediculus. How can Dodge or any other auto manufacturer not see how dangerous this could be. Im afraid to drive the truck worried about wether or no the dash is going to fly apart when I turn on the defrost and get hit in the eye and crash.

DODGE, MAN UP AND FIX MY TRUCK!

- , Gwynn Oak, MD, US

May 122010

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

i got my 2003 ram almost a year ago, and i absolutely love this truck exept for the dash. when i got it, it had one crack which is the same one that every dodge with a dash crack has which is the one on the passenger side to the top left of the airbag. Over the time i have had it this truck this as gotten absolutly horrendus. i dont want to put a dash mat on it, that looks like butt... and i definately dont have the mony for a new one... and all the trucks in the junk yard either someone else has got it first or it has the same problem...

i have always adored dodge and just about everything they make, that is all i have ever owned. my first vehicle was a 84 dodge ram it dident have any problem like this.

- , Rockingham, NC, USA

Jan 152010

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L

It is definately not the worst issue with my Dodge! I have no heat!, continual issue with driver rear light shorting out and numerous gas cap replacements however, luckily I do not have youngsters around because someone would have injuries from all the sharp edges where the dash has cracked.

- , Richardson, TX, USA

Apr 042005

Ram 1500 LT 4.7L

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 truck. The dashboard cracked. When it was first noticed, I took it to the dealer who said there was a recall and they could order parts but I had to pay for some of it. I believe it is an engineering problem along with the quality of the material used to manufacture it. The first replacement order the dealership ordered came in wrong. It was time consuming and painful. When I got the truck home I saw a hairline fracture again. I waited for the breakage to happen again. It did. I went to the junk yard and got a crashed trucks dash board (another year truck). Had it painted at the paint shop to match the interior. I installed it. (I am a mechanic) So far so good. It's been 5 + years and still working out.

- , Orlando, FL, USA

Apr 012011

Ram 1500 4.7L

Dash is cracked over the passenger airbag. Safety issue. 1999 dodge ram did the exact same thing.

- , Shepherdsville, KY, USA

Mar 172011

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab pick up and the dash cracked just to the left of the glove box. I think this should be a recall because I have several friends and one that owns a car lot and they all say it is a problem.They all own and sell this model truck. If it is this bad a problem it should be a definite recall situation. Dodge should know this and own up to it and fix this problem !!!

- , Doerun, GA, USA

Jun 012008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

Take great care of my autos but I've never seen a dash crack this bad.

- , Hixson, TN, USA