7.9

1. enough complaints to dodge will get a recall-1-800-992-1997 (225 reports)
  2. replace dashboard (124 reports)
  4. replace dash (15 reports)
  5. band together class action suit- imply fit/merchantability (13 reports)
  6. call 1-866-726-4636 (Dodge) & 1-888-327-4236 (NHTSA) (13 reports)
2003 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Dodge Ram 1500:

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 15 of 26)

Sep 122010

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L Hemi

Dashboard starting cracking, small cracks grew larger, then they started connecting. Pieces of dashboard are now falling into/inside of the dash. I have heard the dashboard crack, as I was driving down the road! Looking in windows of other Dodge trucks in parking lots, show cracking in every one I've looked at. Bad engineering, bad quality, bad customer relations. Mention "Dashboard cracking", and Dodge will fall over themselves telling you that it's not covered, and any repairs are at your cost. Their "solution" is to replace the dashboard, at my expense of course, with the same badly engineered, bad quality, type of dash. The broken edges of the dash are extremely sharp, and pose a serious laceration hazard.

- , Summerville, SC, US

Feb 012010

Ram 1500

Called Chrysler Management Group about the issue. Stated that they are aware of the issue but they can't do anything about it. The representative stated that his dash was doing the same thing. Dealer commented that the price of Dodge replacement parts $1250 in this case was slowly putting them out of business. I have to agree, I will NEVER buy another Dodge or Chrysler.

- , League City, TX, USA

Jun 272011

Ram 1500 4.7L V8

The dashhboard in my truck started cracking about 4 years ago at about 28,000 miles. I have 47,000 miles now and it is completely falling apart. I decided to finally replace it when I discovered how wide spread a problem the broken dashboard is. I called Chrysler Care and at first they didn't aknowledge the problem then said they would help me out. They want me to pay over $600.00 to replace the defective equipment they built my truck with (along with millions of other). I've been a loyal Dodge customer all of my adult life and was going to buy a Charger this December. I'll replace the dashboard myself for substantially less money then the discounted price I was offered and give my business to another company. I hope others do the same.

- , Sachse, TX, USA

Jul 062011

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

The crack in the dash on the passenger side just appeared for no reason. I thought, "What the hell?" until I read this is a common problem. Dodge needs to address this!

- , Eufaula, OK, USA

Jul 142010

Ram 1500 LS 5.7L

This truck was only 7 years old when the dash board began cracking!!! During the hot months we always put a windshield reflector in the windshield. The cracks are not causing any functional problem at this point but it decreases the resale value of the truck, I keep my truck in pristine condition and this problem makes it lokk trashy. Dashboards should last more than 6-7 years!! Heck, I've got a 1988 Jeep that has been everywhere that Dodge has been and in more severe weather and the dash on it is in great condition. Let Chrysler know they should do something about this Problem!!!!

- , Chino Valley, AZ, USA

Jan 012009

Ram 1500 SLT 4.8L

Dash is cracked in several places and the grill area over the speakers has completely just fell out and cracked through. Dealer only wanted $1200 to fix. Said it was not part of the warranty.

- , Temple, TX, USA

Jul 082011

Ram 1500

i have had three dodge trucks, 1980,1998,and current 2003, looking at trading this year, but the dealers i'm looking at want to drop the value of my truck on trade-in, because my dash has some cracks that just started about 2 months ago, surely dodge will agree to fix this at the time of my trade-in, if not, i will get a ford this year, friends of mine say they are great trucks. DODGE, please make this right, i really love your trucks, must see my truck to appreciate the care i take keeping it looking good.

- , Westminster, SC, USA

Jan 012008

Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7L Hemi

MY DODGE RAM 1500 DASH IS CRACKING EVERYWHERE. IN ALL THE YEARS I HAVE OWNED VEHICLES, THIS IS THE ONLY DASH THAT HAS CRACKED! THIS APPEARS TO BE A DEFECT IN THE DASH MATERIAL AND DODGE SHOULD REPLACE THIS PROBLEM. WHO WILL EVER BUY A VEHICLE KNOWING THE DASH WILL CRACK AND FALL APART!

BEN---SPRINGFIELD, MO

- , Springfield, MO, USA

Aug 012011

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L Ltr Hemi

The dash in my 2003 Dodge Ram is crumbling into pieces. It is literally disintegrating. A 2 inch chunk fell down into glove box. The dealer, Stockton Dodge generously offered to sell me a new one. Thanks a bunch! I called Chrysler who told me the same thing. Based on what I have seen here this is a product defect and Chrysler should be held accountable for selling a defective product.

- , Stockton, CA, USA

Mar 012011

Ram 1500 4.7L

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 and the dashboard is cracking all over the place. If you touch it pieces will fall off. It started in the middle and now it is cracking on both sides.I see that other people are having the same problems.

- , New Iberia, LA, US

Jun 272011

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V6

I keep the truck in GOOD working order but noticed a couple of weeks ago that the dash top has a crack. The crack in the dashboard goes from front of dash to windshield and is located above the top of the left side of the glove box. I read others who have almost the exact same crack location in their complaints. Must be a weak spot or a stress point in the dash design/install. I called my local dealer and was told it would be an out of pocket cost to me. Not going to spend the money on that repair since I have already had to replace the A/C, the drive select rod (dealer said it "fell off"), and had numerous check engine errors that seem to "fix themselves" and go away once the dealer has it in the bay.

I've had numerous cars older than 8 years old and never had damage to the interior like this. Sounds like a quality issue and is making me question buying Dodge again.

Update from Jun 11, 2012: Customer Care offered to replace my dashboard for $500 plus tax as a deposit for the dashboard replacement parts. I declined the offer since that was the retail cost of the materials anyway - what a joke of an offer.

- , Orlando, FL, USA

Jul 012011

Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi

ridiculous, I was cleaning my dashboard and realized there were 3-4 cracks in the dashboard. Just a cheap piece of plastic.

- , Washington, PA, USA

Jul 082010

Ram 1500

I have 3 big cracks on my dash in my 2003 dodge ram. "I get pissed off every time I get in my truck". I don't even want to think about how much it would cost to replace it.

- , Witt, IL, USA

Jun 012011

Ram 1500

Through no fault of my own, my dash is cracked. Can't believe Dodge won't do anything about it. For this alone I will never buy another Dodge. If you don't stand by your work you don't deserve my hard earned money!

- , Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jul 012010

Ram 1500

Dash is cracked and parts are expensive. Took care of vehicle, no reason for dash to have cracked. WILL NOT PURCASE ANOTHER........I HAVE HAD TOO MANY PROBLEMS WITH THIS TRUCK.

- , Burleson, TX, USA

Mar 182011

Ram 1500 ST 3.7L V6

After hearing several Service Department Managers tell me there was nothing to do for my broken dash, and reading the numerous complaints telling of little or no resolution, I had come to terms with my 12 cracks which ran throughout my 03 Ram dashboard. However, I came across a number from a poster on this site who had gotten his dash fixed. So, I called the Chrysler Customer Care Case Management Group at 1-800-763-8422 expecting to hear again about how nothing could be done to fix my dash. Man was I suprised at how friendly and easy of a process it was to fix my dash. I called on Thursday March 10th, THEY CALLED ME BACK on Friday March 11th assigning me a case number and case manager. On Saturday March 12th I took my truck to my local dealer where he did a 15 minute evaluation and sent off some paperwork to my case manager. Within 6 hours my case manager CALLED ME BACK AGAIN and told me for a 150 dollar deductible I could get a new replacement dash installed at my local dealer. I set an appointment and within a week my problem was solved.

I now have a new dash which increased the value and look of my truck. I could not be happier with Dodge and their customer service. God bless America, and God bless Dodge.

- , Jacksonville, FL, US

Dec 012009

Ram 1500 5.9L

just wish to have my dash board repaired..it is cracked and looks like crap..

- , Stambaugh, KY, USA

Aug 132008

Ram 1500

if dodge does not fix these cracked dashboard on 2003 dodge ram 1500 i am gone to ask every not to buy any dodge need repair this item before the the air bag on the passanger side hurt someone. dodge talking 1,250 dollars to repair something that no about the problem for years not quailty parts on the dashboard.

- , Kyle, TX, USA

Jan 222011

Ram 1500 4.7L

I take care of all my vehicles as I do with everything I own. But to watch my dash crack apart as im driving down the road is rediculus. How can Dodge or any other auto manufacturer not see how dangerous this could be. Im afraid to drive the truck worried about wether or no the dash is going to fly apart when I turn on the defrost and get hit in the eye and crash.

DODGE, MAN UP AND FIX MY TRUCK!

- , Gwynn Oak, MD, US

May 122010

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

i got my 2003 ram almost a year ago, and i absolutely love this truck exept for the dash. when i got it, it had one crack which is the same one that every dodge with a dash crack has which is the one on the passenger side to the top left of the airbag. Over the time i have had it this truck this as gotten absolutly horrendus. i dont want to put a dash mat on it, that looks like butt... and i definately dont have the mony for a new one... and all the trucks in the junk yard either someone else has got it first or it has the same problem...

i have always adored dodge and just about everything they make, that is all i have ever owned. my first vehicle was a 84 dodge ram it dident have any problem like this.

- , Rockingham, NC, USA