7.9

1. enough complaints to dodge will get a recall-1-800-992-1997 (223 reports)
  2. replace dashboard (119 reports)
  4. replace dash (15 reports)
  5. band together class action suit- imply fit/merchantability (13 reports)
  6. call 1-866-726-4636 (Dodge) & 1-888-327-4236 (NHTSA) (13 reports)
2003 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Dodge Ram 1500:

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 16 of 25)

Jan 012008

Ram 1500

My dash has numerous cracks that continue to worsen. What used to be vents are now just rectangular holes. One crack runs the entire width of my dash. I'm afraid to simply wipe it clean because more pieces cave in. This is not normal wear and tear. The plastic is way too thin to be used as this type of interior. Needs to be replaced.

- , Knoxville, TN, USA

Apr 162008

Ram 1500

My husband and I are both Dodge owners. I own a 2007 Dodge RT Charger and purchased it new. My husband owns a beautiful 2003 Red Dodge Ram pickup, well at least the outside is beautiful. The dash started cracking and now is cracked from one side to the other and it is now cracking vertically. I expect shortly he will be able to take it out in pieces. I understand that Dodge had their financial woes just the same as every struggling family in the US today, however, they have an obligation to Dodge owners to fix this problem. I would hope they want to keep customers in good standing, however refusing to fix a problem that was definitely a manufacturing problem only compounds the problem.

- , Covington, GA, US

Nov 122008

Ram 1500 3.6L V6

i do not think it is the consumers fault for the damages to the dashboard if dodge knew they were using material that was not good they should make good on the recall fort his problem and fix it. they didn't mind taking the payments for the vehicle so they should make themselves responsible i have purchased several vehicles with chrysler/dodge company and this is the only major problem i have had with trhe vehicles. being i am a good customer of theirs i believe they should replace the dashboard on the truck.

- , Pharr, TX, USA

Oct 122010

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

Hello guys and gals. well here we go again. my dash is cracked in three places on passenger side air bag and the two windshield vents. i called chrysler they told me to take it to the dealer where i purchased it from so they can take picture and access the (defect) damage. so i did that they took pics and such i waited after a while the shop manager comes back and tells me there's nothing they can do its not defect....at this point i was steaming i wish there was something we could do. you pay 30k for truck you would expect the dash not to cave in....any help....suggestions...thanks.

- , Abbeville, LA, USA

Sep 152009

Ram 1500 5.7L V8

So one day I get in my truck and just see a massive crack across my dashboard, immediately I go into the house and start to interrogate my wife about how that could have happened. Unable to come up with a logical explanation of how my entire dash could be cracked!, I began looking up the cost of a replacement dash and saw I couldn't afford that since it wasn't necessarily a show stopper for me yet! About a year has passed now and there are now three cracks across my top and it is driving me crazy cause I take very good care of my truck and this is the sore spot. Now that I have found on the internet this is a huge problem because Dodge has decided to use cheap materials to lower cost and boost their personal profits (I have nothing against that as long as your product remains durable like you claim) I think we should be at least given discounts on replacing this part.

- , Kaneohe, HI, USA

Aug 102010

Ram 1500 LS 4.6L V8

I have taken excellent care of my 03 dodge from engine maintenance to appearance. And there is nothing I could have done to stop the cracking. Dodge did except the fact that it was not due to my negligence, but wanted me to foot the bill on 4800.00 to replace my dash and they would reimburse me some of the money. So here I sit with a CRACKED BUSTED up dash until I have 4800.00 to shell out or dodge does the right thing and replace my dash

- , Zephyrhills, FL, USA

Jul 142009

Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab 4X4 5.7L

I love my truck, but I always thought that a hard plastic dash was a bad idea. When the cracks started, it only confirmed my fears. The dealer said that it isn't their responsibility, and since Chrysler has had all of their financial woes, they wouldn't be covering it either. I've seen the same problem on other Dodge trucks. Come on Dodge, we've bought American, back up your product and get repeat customers.

- , Long Beach, CA, USA

Feb 032011

Ram 1500 Quad Cab

While driving to work on the interstate in my truck, i put the drivers side window down to try and get some of the frost off of the window. All of a sudden a small piece of my dashboard came off by the wind hitting it and flew and hit me on my forehead. The piece that flew off was part of the defroster grill. If that piece would have hit me in the eye, it is a strong possibility that i could have had a very bad accident or death. Chrysler need to own up to their responsibility and stand behind their vehicles like GM and Ford does and fix this nationwide problem. I have a 1984 Cadillac that sits in the sun day after day, and the dash has not 1 crack in it. Now this is a 27 year old car compared to my 2003 Dodge Ram 1500, which is 8 years old. You do the math. STEP UP CHRYSLER AND BE LOYAL TO YOUR CUSTOMERS. CUSTOMERS ALWAYS RIGHT.

- , Opelousas, LA, USA

Jan 012010

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

Dash has big crack and spends half of time in carport. Most 2003 I see have same crack in same place. Dodge should fix.

- , Baxley, GA, USA

Feb 142011

Ram 1500 4.7L V8

well had to replace my heater core and knew my dash was cracked from the get go but as i tried to pull it apart from the fittings that fasten it to the inner frame it all just cracked to pieces because it was soo brittle. very poor workmanship on the interior plastics very dissatisfied. guess ill have to get a dash mat to try and cover up the ugliness until i can afford a new dash which is over 500 dollars dodge should recall this and replace these stat.

- , blythe, CA, USA

Oct 052010

Ram 1500 LX 5.0L

2003 Dodge ram, both speaker grills broken out. dash has cracks all over it and looks like hell. Pieces of broken grill have fallen down inside of dash, and replacement part is 500.00.

Dodge needs to recall and repair this problem, and live up to there advertisements they use to lure the public into buying there vehicles.

- , Los Banos, CA, USA

Jul 012008

Ram 1500 Quad 5.7L V8

Same thing. A nice truck with a sucky dash. Dodge should recall and fix all of the broken dashes as they are unsightly and dangerous. I will be riding Dodge until they agree to fix the problem at no cost to me. I have or have had 4 different trucks with the same problem.

- , Crosby, TX, USA

Feb 052011

Ram 1500 Laramie Hemi

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

I like my truck, but the cracked dash is very annoying. The first crack was such a straight and smooth line I initially thought it might be a two piece dash panel, if there ever was such a thing. But then, over time, more cracks started popping up, and now the thing is a mess. The last straw was when I was cleaning the dash with a paper towel and the grate over the defrost vent fell off. The plastic has become very brittle, and I'm afraid to touch any of it. Looks terrible.

- , Chester, VA, USA

Jan 012005

Ram 1500 4x4 5.7L

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 dash has cracks all over it. Dodge needs to recall this and fix it.

- , Deland, FL, USA

Nov 202009

Ram 1500 4.7L

The main reason that I purchased a Dodge, was that their interior was normally of better quality than their competitors. But was I surprised when the whole dash began to crack up and disintergrate. What lousy manufacturing and even worse customer service. Part of the dash is now falling down onto the airbag.

- , Port Saint Lucie, FL, US

Nov 162007

Ram 1500 3.7L V6

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

I have owned SEVERAL trucks by Ford and 1 Suburban and have NEVER had a dashboard crack- even have a 2001 Ford Lariat and the dash looks like it did the day I bought it- like it should....and for some reason in 2005 I bought a used Dodge Ram 1500. Only had 24000 miles. By 40,000 miles, the dash started cracking. My son drive the truck so I don't keep up with it that much. I "borrowed" his truck today since mine was in the shop and saw 2 Grand Canyons across the dashboard. The factory won't do anything about it- took it to a dealership and they basically said "so sad too bad." Guess what Dodge- I will post on facebook, twitter, local news and everywhere else i can to have Joe Consumer be aware of the lack of quality and how Dodge sticks its head in the sand when a problem comes up. I just found this website and it is blatantly obvious I am not alone. As one writer said..."NUT UP" and accept responsibility - redeem yourself!

- , BEDFORD, TX, USA

Sep 012010

Ram 1500 3.6L

When I bought my truck it had a small crack in the dashboard but over the past 5-6 months it has been cracking like crazy!! I have 5 cracks that extend all the way over pretty much making columns and then more cracks in between those!! I have a piece that completely fell out because it cracked so many different ways. My entire dashboard has cracks all over it now and I've only had it for 9 months....

- , Joshua, TX, USA

Jan 082010

Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi

First of all I love my truck. The only issue I have is the dashboard. It started as a small crack on the passenger side of the dash. It almost seemed like over night it turned into several cracks to the point where large pieces can be removed. The small slats over the vents are broken and have fallen into the defrost vents. Now when I turn on the defroster it sounds like I have pebbles in the vents. I was planning on buying another Dodge next year, but now I may have to look at other makes, unless Dodge steps up and makes things right.

- , Ocala, FL, USA

Oct 042010

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

2003 RAM 1500 QUAD CAB Truck has 27500 miles well taken care of, has cracks in dash. contacted chrysler they told me to bring in to take pictures, mileage, an such. well after all that service manager said I'm sorry we can't help you. earlier the chrysler guy told me " being out of warranty doesn't matter we still honor our product" yea right. you don't see other trucks dash cracking. what if i or my wife get in a front end wreck will pieces of the dash come flying like shrapnel?????. don't what to do. thanks

- , Abbeville, LA, USA

Nov 012009

Ram 1500 V6 3.7L

I really like the truck but my friend has the same model and his dash is cracked in the same places. That would tell me they should replace the cracked dashboards or at least offer a better deal to buy them and have them replaced. I am sure they dont need anymore bad publicity.

- , Gilbert, AZ, USA