1. enough complaints to dodge will get a recall-1-800-992-1997 (222 reports)
  2. replace dashboard (116 reports)
  4. replace dash (15 reports)
  5. band together class action suit- imply fit/merchantability (13 reports)
  6. call 1-866-726-4636 (Dodge) & 1-888-327-4236 (NHTSA) (13 reports)
2003 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Dodge Ram 1500:

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 19 of 25)

Oct 172009

Ram 1500 SLT 5.4L

Dodge should step up and deal with this issue. There is no doubt this is a defective design or material. I will not buy another Dodge product until they can demonstrate a higher level of quality control on there products. I think we as customers should get a better product seeing how the price of vehicles are going up. If you want to sell us a defective product where is the discount or the accountability once a defect has been discovered.

- , Weatherford, TX, USA

Jul 042010

Ram 1500

Purchased a Ford Expedition for my wife and a Dodge Ram 1500 for myself in 2003. Can't believe my wife has nearly twice as much miles and her dash is just as good as when we first bought it. My dash on the other hand has a least 4 cracks. Very poor quality on Dodge part. Also, I drive a company car during the week and use my truck on weekends only and to have this problem is very upsetting. The truck is in great condition. Hope Dodge steps up and takes care of the problem.

- , Norwalk, CA, USA

Aug 072010

Ram 1500 SLT

I too have become a victim of Dodge's cracking dashboards. The truck was bought new and has been well maintained. As with most of the other complaints posted on this site, my truck looks almost brand new with the exception of the dash. It started off as a small crack on the passenger's side, and now I have several cracks on both sections of my dash. It seems as though everyday I walk out to my truck I notice the cracks getting bigger and more new ones forming. I have called Dodge and they informed me that they are aware of this problem and would forward my complaint to a case manager. I guess we will wait and see what happens, but with all of the other complaints I have found on this and other websites, I'm not expecting too much help from Dodge.

- , Blacksbug, SC, USA

Ram 1500 4.7L

I have the same problem as the others. The cracks have been getting worse over the past year, and I now have a giant hole in my dash. I can touch the back of my radio. I am afraid the dash is going to completely fall in. Dodge needs to recall the dash board.

- , Wylie, TX, USA

Aug 062008

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L Hemi

This is the second truck from Dodge that the dash cracked. First was the 1995 Ram 1500. It got so bad that I traded it in for the 2003. Now the dash in the 2003 is cracking and it won't be long before it falls apart like in the 95.

- , Melbourne, FL, USA

Apr 042009

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

When shopping for a truck a few years before I bought this one, I remembered one of the key things that the salesman told me was that the dashboard was designed to prevent cracking. Although it lasted a number of years, it was to my dismay when I hopped in the truck to go home from work one day and low and behold, a crack from the top to the bottom of the dash. It's more upsetting that this was one thing I was tired of dealing with in the GMs to have it happen in a Dodge.

- , Miami, FL, USA

Jun 142010

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

Even more annoying now that a second crack has appeared several inches from the original crack. This one right over the stereo and is protruding down the front. My vehicle runs and drives great still even after 7 years but you wouldn't think it was well taken care of by looking at the God awful dashboard. And no, I do not, never have used Armor All on my dashes.

- , Miami, FL, USA

Jan 012010

Ram 1500

My husband and I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 and the dash is cracked like everybody else. I don't know if this will work, and I bet everybody else tried this. I called Dodge at 1-866-726-4636 to file a complaint. Then they told me to call the National Highway Traffic Safety number at 1-888-327-4236 and file a complaint with them. The more people that call the NHTS and complain, the more chances they will look into a recall because it is a safety issue. You can also file a complaint with consumer reports. I know that Dodge probably won't do anything to fix it, but it is worth a try.

- , Birmingham, AL, USA

Jun 022008

Ram 1500 V8

Dodge needs to do a recall on the dash. They start out with small cracks then spread everywhere. I have seen them so bad you can reach thru them to work on the heat/ac parts.

- , Lorena, TX, USA

Jun 062010

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L

Would love to see a recall on this issue. Too many people are having this same problem with these dashboards. The part is ridiculously expensive for a piece of molded plastic.

- , Davie, FL, USA

Oct 012004

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

Same thing here. Cracked from front to rear after only about 20,000 miles. Now it's cracked all over the place at 60,000 miles - and looks pathetic. Dodge needs to step up and recall this problem. I'll never buy another Dodge EVER unless they do. This truck is junk. With the engine light problem, paint, door handles, rattles, speakers - it is a pile. I expected far more for the money I paid. Never again.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Jul 012010

Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab 4.7L

Ok, so I've owned 3 dodge ram 1500's and 1 2500 over the last 15 years. I found this one at my local dealer posted at a great price and 1 owner previous to myself. Upon test drive myself, wife, and sales agent. At first glance I noticed a small crack on the dash but didn't think anything of it and figured I would haggle at the sales table to get a lower sales price. I got side tracked as usual by the sales agent over a secondary driver seat electrical actuator that I found not working properly and red flagged this from the moment However, after owning the vehicle now for about a month there have been a dozen or so NEW cracks all over the dash and I'm really pissed. Not one of my other pre 2006 Dodge Ram trucks had this issue, all dashes were intact with no faults. However now, thanks to this website I've discovered I made a huge error in judgment by purchasing this particular vehicle.

- , Satellite Beach, FL, USA

Aug 082009

Ram 1500 4.7L V8

- , Houston, TX, USA

Feb 012010

Ram 1500 SLS 4.7L

I wish Dodge would recognize this dashboard cracking as a serious problem and recall them! I hate to think if I were to be in an accident and the pieces that are now my dash rip through my air bags.Even worse if my daughter was driving at the time.

- , Clearwater, FL, USA

Feb 012008

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L Hemi

Everybody that I know that has a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 has a cracked dashboard, mine is cracked in approx. 6 different places and the cracks run from the windshield all the way to the front of dash towards the radio side. It looks awful and I can't trade it in or sell it with this condition because it depreciates the value to where no one will give you anything for it! You can't place anything on the dash because it makes it worse. I have been told that Dodge will replace the dash, I was told this by a co-worker.

- , Spring, TX, USA

Apr 222009

Ram 1500 SLT V8

Cracked dash began with just a slight crack down the middle section. Slowly expanded to about 15 cracks or more throughout the length and width of the dash. Also imposing on the front portion of the console. Am now expecting for chunks of dash to slowly fall out or through, exposing who knows what underneath the dash. Possibly the airbag?

With the repair costs of said damage at approx. $1000.00 ... am very hopeful that Dodge will issue a recall and pay for the repairs to correct this unsightly and troubling problem. The interior of our 2003 Dodge is almost new for all other practical purposes, except for the unsightly damage to the dash. Please help ...

- , Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Jun 292010

Ram 1500

I have always babied this truck and now for n reason at all the das has cracked!!!!!

- , Darden, TN, USA

Aug 012009

Ram 1500 LX 4.7L V8

my dashboard is crack in three spot if this how america going to keep on making car no wonder all american are buying over seas. my next car am buying over seas.way to go usaaaaaaaaa.

- , Bunker Hill, IL, USA

Ram 1500 Lariat

It's cracked in 4 places & flops around when I'm driving - I'm worried it'll come off in pieces & cut someone but really can't afford to replace it & don't thing duct tape is an acceptable slution.

- , St Pete, FL, USA

Ram 1500 Hemi

crack started in 2009 and before i could get use to seeing it another one truck is in a carport at home .i cant at work,but i have not put any thing on the dash to dry it out. i have a car sitting in back yard that is not driven. been parked for four years now. no cracks, and it is 13years older about. i just noticed another crack today. it is so ugly. i believed when i purchased this truck it would be the last new one for a long time. i did not it would be my last in all reality, i just cant afford to purchase again. ihave owed three new dodge trucks in the past ten years. but things happen.i really think that dodge should repair this dash problem, as a recall. there are so many.

- , Robertsdale, AL, USA