7.9

1. enough complaints to dodge will get a recall-1-800-992-1997 (224 reports)
  2. replace dashboard (121 reports)
  4. replace dash (15 reports)
  5. band together class action suit- imply fit/merchantability (13 reports)
  6. call 1-866-726-4636 (Dodge) & 1-888-327-4236 (NHTSA) (13 reports)
2003 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Dodge Ram 1500:

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 25 of 26)

Jan 022008

Ram 1500 Laramie

The Dash in my 2003 Ram 1500 quad cab now has approx 5 large cracks. I have already had to have my ac repaired with a cost of $150 because a piece of the cracked plastic fell in the ac vent and was hold the vent closed. The dash is constantly getting worse and my truck is in fantastic condition except for the dash. I only have 40,000 miles on it. when i called the dealer i was told that it was out of warranty and that it was my problem because there is no current recalls on the dash. I will never purchase another dodge because of the bad customer service. I have never had this type of problems with the dash in any other vehicle i have ever owned.

- , Apopka, FL, USA

Jul 252008

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L Hemi

Hello All,

Just got off the phone with Dodge about the 4 canyon like cracks in my dash. All they did was give me a reference number and told me to take it to a dealership so they could diagnose the cause of the problem and then I am supposed to get back to them, of course this is all out of my pocket. I have over 99000mi on my truck and have taken great care of it inside and out. It seems to be a problem of poor quality material more than anything else. Hopefully Dodge will take some pride in their product and fix this before I get sick of it and take my business to another brand.

- , LaFollette, TN, USA

Apr 102008

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L

even though i paid extra for the extended more detail warranty i was told i was out of luck. they could offer me to fix the dash at a reduced cost of 600 dollars... so much for dodge

- , Beverly Hills, CA, US

Jun 202008

Ram 1500 Laramie Heimi

Post your responses in addition to carcomplaints.com but also directly to the Dodge website. Believe me, I posted both and glad to find out I didn't do anything wrong, defective product.

- , Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Jan 312008

Ram 1500 Laramie Heimi

I am frustrated over the product in my Dodge Ram Quad La ramie truck, better know as the cracked up dash syndrome. First it started in the middle of the dash a long crack, then came the next crack not even two weeks later, and it started between where the radio and glove box are located. Now just today June 20,2008 wouldn't you guess it, another crack appeared on the far right front speaker. I just cannot believe this truck was such an expensive truck to purchase and it has such lousy dash board. I keep my sunshade on all the time so I do not understand why so many people on this site have the same cracks and in the same order, something is wrong here. I will call the 800# on Monday morning, as they have a defective interior trim and Dodge should work with the Dodge owners in replacing it would a good quality product to represent their name.

- , Corpus Christi, TX, USA

May 022008

Ram 1500 3.7L V6

Was Googling to see how much a new dash would cost for me to install myself and didn't realize it was such a big problem. I'll probably call Dodge to report it. I'm likely to sell my truck soon anyhow. Won't be getting another Dodge anytime soon unless its a Cummins.

- , Pflugerville, TX, USA

Jun 152008

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L V8

dodge really needs to recall the dash before some one gets hurt

- , Pace, FL, USA

Sep 202007

Ram 1500 Laramie Thunderroad 5.7L Hemi

This is the first Dodge I have owned. I traded a Chevy in for this truck because I wanted a 4 door. My Chevy had 130,000 miles on it and looked brand new! I really take pride in what I drive. Since then, at 24,000 miles, the dash cracked (among other defects KNOWN to Dodge). When I talked to the Dodge dealer, they said "that shouldn't happen", you need to call the company. There comment was that they will not fix because the truck is a 2003, no matter how clean or low mileage the truck was. When are they going to recognize this is a problem?

Other Dodge recognized problems are: Faulty rear light housing (Dodge said "We get that a lot, it's in the housing"), Driver's window bezel mounting screw shafts cracked.

Right now, my truck has 40,000 miles on it and has already had or is needing the following repairs (aside the ones previously mentioned): Rear axle replaced at 24,500 miles; ABS pump circuit shorted; Dash glass at gauges cracked.

WHAT ELSE IS GOING TO BREAK ON THIS TRUCK!!!

- , Keller, TX, US

Jan 092008

Ram 1500 Laramie Hemi

Hi All, My 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi's Dash is starting to crack really bad. The Speaker grill on the passenger side has broken, I have one big crack in the middle next to the front wind shield and another huge crack off right of middle closer to the seats between the radio and glove box. I called Dodge and they said they had no recalls at the moment. The guy did tell me that if they get enough complaints called in then they will be pressured to issue a recall to repair the problem. So please forward this on to everyone who owns a Dodge Truck 2002 and up so that we can get it fixed and take care of any future problems with the vehicles and the ones that are not there yet. The Dodge Customer Service number is 1-800-992-1997 and they will ask you for you last 8 characters of your VIN number. Please call in and file a complaint!!!!!!

- , Carrollton, TX, USA

Jan 032008

Ram 1500 V8

Depite Armor All treatment every season and being kept in the shade, the dashboard cracked from the windshield to the Stereo. From the many complaints here on this, it's obvious that Dodge better get their sh*t together and compensate their customers.

Oh, and did I mention that the heater coil erupted as well (under the dash)? It ran like a waterfall into the passenger-side floorboard. And their design team has buried it well, making it nearly impossible for the average mechanically inclined guy to get to. You better have a couple days to kill to do this one. The estimate for repair was $500.

I'm up for a class-action. Feel free to email me at: kycowboy85@yahoo.com.

- , Asheboro, NC, USA

Jun 142007

Ram 1500 LX 5.7L Hemi

I thought I should check the internet to see if any dash board problems or complaints existed, and you know what? I was right!

I am 54 years old and have never seen a dashboard harden and just start cracking. I have cared for this dash just as much as all the other vehicles I have owned and see no reason other than poor material why this has happened. As a matter of fact, I was riding in the massager seat talking to my wife about what we could cover the cracked dash with, when the following happened! (this is true and no bs!) I pointed to the right most defrost vent and said: We can cover the dash, but what should we do about these vents. Then all of a sudden my finger went right through the round plastic vent leaving a very ugly hole! The Dash material has broke down and rotted. Hopefully this condition won't set off the Air Bags when it finally starts coming apart.

- , Brandon, MS, USA

Jun 142006

Ram 1500 Quad V8

2 years ago the dashboard cracked all the way through the center panel, the one in between the windshield and the part closest to the driver. I called the extended warranty people, who I might add, when they sold me the policy said that anything and everything that went wrong would be covered, and as you can guess I was told that the dashboard crack was not covered. Highly annoyed and feeling that I had wasted the money paid for the warranty, I proceeded to have the problem repaired at my own expense and move on with my life. Image my irritation when in late 2007 the dashboard cracked again. This time it cracked in the piece closest to the windshield and went right through the little vent portion where part of that broke off. I am extremely unhappy and feel that Dodge should take responsibility for these problems as they are apparently not isolated events. If anyone is interested in filing a formal complaint or a class action lawsuit I would be more than willing to participate. Currently I have 60,000 miles on the vehicle, it is paid off, and I would like to trade it for another vehicle, not a Dodge. Though, I will take a big hit due to the dash or I could fix it again and lose another $1200. Additionally when they fixed the dash the first time, apparently there was a wire loose, as several months later the front passenger speaker stopped working. I cannot figure out how to remove the front of the dash to fix the problem and do not want to take it in and have someone else repair it and risk having the dash crack even more. I also don't want to spend anymore money, when I don't feel that I should have had to spend the money in the first place.

- , Spring, TX, USA

Oct 222007

Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7L V8

Dashboard is cracked from the windshield to the glovebox. When I purchased the truck at Budget car sales in late 2007, they said that they would fix the dash as a condition of sale and to go to my local Dodge dealer to order one (no doubt they knew I couldn't get one). I ordered the dashboard over 6 months ago and follow-up each month with the dealer for a status. The dealer has informed me that there are thousands of dashboards on backorder in the system and that right now there isn't even a source to buy one! I asked him what my options where as far as replacing my cracked dash and he said there were no options. If he can't get his hands on one, it wasn't very likely that I'd be able to get my hands on one either. I wish I had known this was such a huge problem that can't be fixed prior to purchasing the truck, I definitely would not have purchased it.

- , Callaway, FL, USA

Mar 072008

Ram 1500 ST 4.7L V8

Just as others have reported my Dodge Ram 1500 now has a cracked dashboard. It's obvious to everyone except Dodge that there is a problem with the materials used to make the dashboards.

I did call 800-992-1997 (Chrysler Customer Assistance) to see if they could offer some goodwill assistance to help me cover the cost to replace my dashboard. Cost is just under $1100.00. I was told the same thing so many Dodge Ram owners are told, "due to the mileage and age of your vehicle, we will not offer any assistance".

They were nice enough to open a complaint for me and I'm sure when I come up with $1100.00 they will be glad to take my money to fix the defect in the truck they built.

Without any doubts - my next truck will not be a Dodge. Toyota Tundras are starting to look more attractive.

- , Austin, TX, US

Jul 172007

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

How The Government Expect Us To Buy Domestic Products, If They Don't Enforce

Companys To Back Up Their Products And Satisfy Costumers, My Next Car For Sure A Foreign One.

- , Pinellas Park, FL, USA

Jun 232007

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

I have a 2003 Dodge 1500 SLT 4x4 that I take great care of. I almost never Drive and has very low miles and in very good condition. The problem is the dashboard has cracked right down the middle for no apparent reason. I have read of 2001 and other years of dodge trucks with similar problems. If anyone has the same problems or solutions, please post !!! Obviously Dodge won't stand behind there products.

- , Miami, FL, USA

Aug 082006

Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi

Well I guess I am just like the rest of you out there that have issues with the Dodge Ram crappy dash boards. I bought my 2003 Ram in March of 2006. It had not issues with the dashboard at that time. By August 2006 I started to have cracks on the passenger side. Now the whole thing is cracked up and there are holes in where plastic used to be. Dodge really needs to do something about this. I never even got the chance to armorall the dash so that can't be the problem. I have a 2000 Dakota and the dash is as good as it looks when I bought it. I have used armorall on it though. The price for a new dash board is crazy, and it is a two piece dash. It will cost around $600 to replace all of the defective parts. I really like the truck. No issues mechanically but the dash board is a real eye soar. Any one have any suggestions let me know!!

- , Fort Stewart, GA, USA

Aug 012007

Ram 1500 5.9L

Truck still looks brand new except for the large crack in the dash from the radio to the window!

- , North Augusta, SC, USA

Aug 092007

Ram 1500 5.9L V8

MY 2003 RAM 1500 HAS 8 CRACKS ON THE DASHBOARD AND EVERYDAY SEEMS TO BE GETTING WORSE. ONE OF THE VENTS CAVED IN AND THE WHOLE THING SEEMS TO BE DISINTEGRATING! IT COSTS ABUT 1200 DOLLARS TO FIX. I KEEP MY TRUCK IN GOOD CONDITION . THEY SHOULD RECALL. THIS IS THE LAST TIME I BUY A DODGE!

- , Montebello, CA, USA

Aug 062007

Ram 1500 Quad Cab 5.7L Hemi

I had bought a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad-Cab used in 2005. I noticed a few months ago the Dashboard had cracked right in the center by the windshield.. The reason I had bought this truck is because I would have thought Dodge had got their sh*t together and make things right unlike the 95-02 Rams... Dealer says the piece could be replaced for just about $200 if I install it. There is no recall on this. While I asked myself.. Why would I waste $200 when im going to have to buy another one a few years from now? I Take care of this truck faithfully! Its always in a garage and hardly in the sun. Why doesnt Dodge stand behind their product?

- , Ormond Beach, FL, USA