7.9

1. enough complaints to dodge will get a recall-1-800-992-1997 (224 reports)
  2. replace dashboard (121 reports)
  4. replace dash (15 reports)
  5. band together class action suit- imply fit/merchantability (13 reports)
  6. call 1-866-726-4636 (Dodge) & 1-888-327-4236 (NHTSA) (13 reports)
2003 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Dodge Ram 1500:

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 26)

Jul 232009

Ram 1500 Slt Sprot 5.7L V8

I love the performance of my 5.7 Ram Sport but only after 6years of it being in existence the dash board started to crack. The Cracks have now become huge shards of plastic that breaks off and moves around inside the truck. as I read on this website earlier, if I were to hit something head on and a shard of plastic broke loose, the airbag could potentially drive the piece of plastic right into my face or chest.

I think Dodge should at least pay half of the bill and use better material so that this would not happen within the next 6-7 years. A good Truck can be on the road for more than 20 years. I consider my truck to be a "good truck", I should not have to worry about being stabbed in the chest by a piece of dashboard.

I was not prepared to give pictures, I will provide later. I am a loyal Dodge truck owner, this is my third Dodge truck. in the past I have owned a 1997 white short bed sport that I kept for 3years 2000 prior to being transferred to Japan (military)I sold it. upon my return from Japan in 2003 I purchased a 1998 same color extended cab. I kept the '98 for two years until 2005 when I traded for the truck I have today. I have had no mechanical problems out of any of the trucks that I have owned.

- , Lemon Grove, CA, US

May 032010

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L

This dash is definitely a safety hazard and, especially if involved in a wreck. Pieces of plastic will injure occupants. I can't believe how many dashes are involved. This is a definite design flaw and should be recalled.

- , Lake Charles, LA, USA

Jan 012008

Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 3.6

It started with three cracks. It has since become a big holes in the dashboard. I am the original owner of the truck. Never had a major problem with with the truck except for this one. It is not fail a company knows the dashboard were make with defective materials and will not conduct a recall. If I knew the truck was assemble with defective materials, I would have invested my money in it. I did not buy a used vehicle, I brought a brand new truck. the dashboard should be replaced by Dodge at no expense to me.

- , Edinburg, TX, USA

Jun 012011

Ram 1500 ST/SLT 5.7L

I can't believe Dodge won't do anything about the issue with dashes cracking. This is my third Dodge Ram and all three of them had cracked dashes. That is sad that they won't stand behind their products.

- , Craig, NE, USA

Aug 042015

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

This is a manufacturing problem and Dodge should stand behind its products. I will never purchase another Dodge and anyone that ask me about it I will tell them, just don't do it. Simple as that.

- , New Caney, TX, US

Aug 012010

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L

I keep my truck in great shape and I've done several things to slow this process down but it keeps getting worse. It's sad that a company knows there's a problem but chooses to ignore it. This is my second Dodge (1987 Dakota) which I bought new and traded in on this truck and this might be my last Dodge.

- , Lafayette, IN, US

Sep 102014

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

Called for an estimate..total is $896 for the part and approximately $300-350 for labor. When one considers that there is no indication of improved replacement parts...a poor product will replace a poor product....at the risk of safety, depreciation, and aesthetics of a necessary vehicle. The safety factor is obviously the biggest issue and I am quite distressed that the manufacturer is willing and knowingly risking my family's safety. This will be a huge consideration for future purchases.

- , Windsor, ON, Canada

Jan 092013

Ram 1500 4.7L

Crappy parts. I have never in my life seen something so bad that is caused by material or workmanship.

- , Plano, TX, US

May 112011

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L

I dropped into a Dodge dealership while stationed in Everett Washington in 2011 to inquire about a repair dash as it just started cracking and was told by the employees that this was a known issue with the Dodge Trucks but wasn't something they replaced for free. They offered to order the 1600+ dollar part and install it for an additional 400+ dollars. I declined. The dash has continued to crack but has not fallen apart. Now due to the passenger airbag repair/recall the auto work will require the dash to be replaced out of pocket which is bull because it isn't something I did and is a known safety issue with Dodge trucks. This repair should be covered by Dodge as it is a "KNOWN" issue.

- , Chula Vista, CA, USA

Mar 052004

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

It is a damn shame that an auto maker as big as Dodge (as much as they brag about reliability) would let a vehicle look like this. Not only is it ugly but it is also very dangerous. If a person were to get in a wreck and the airbag should go off the dash is in little pieces like scrap metal and could blind, injure, or even kill. Yet they know about it, thousands of complaints and they refuse to recall it. This is my way of saying if anything should happen to me or my family because of this I can take all legal action available as they have been told of this condition.

- , Livingston, TX, USA

Jun 012008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

My cracked dash has been annoying, but the issue has just become serious. I found out that they can't replace my defective airbag, included in the major recall, because of my cracked dash. The airbag attaches to the underside of the dash, and since it has already cracked, if they tried to remove the dash it will disintegrate. I guarantee, the Service guy was sorry he told me this information! When I inquired how much a new dash cost, I was told about $700, but none are available at this time, because of a back order. Then after reading the design flaw would still be in a replacement dash, what do you do? So ...here I am.

- , DeLand, FL, USA

Jan 012013

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L

Initially I thought that my cracked dash cover was an isolated issue! I was somewhat comforted when I found through research that my issue was not mine alone! Since this issue is widespread, Dodge should replace this part (part & labor) at no charge to the vehicle owner in order to preserve brand loyalty! Minimally, Dodge should provide the part free of charge with free shipping and no handling charge to each Dodge Ram owner.

- , Ac, GA, USA

Dec 032014

Ram 1500

I keep my truck nicer than most cars! The dash falling apart is the only damage on the vehicle.

- , loveland, CO, USA

Oct 142014

Ram 1500 SXT 5.7L

THIS IS SOMETHING THAT NEEDS TO BE FIXED BY DODGE AT THEIR EXPENSE. THE DASHES ARE CHEAP PLASTIC THAT WERE PROBABLY IMPORTED.

- , TUCSON, AZ, USA

May 052011

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

My truck was only 5 years old when the filler panel cracked in 5 places. The next year the dash cracked in 3 places. Never been wrecked

- , Smyrna, USA

Oct 012004

Ram 1500 ST 3.7L V6

This is totally ridiculous that Dodge has not replaced these hazards that could cause more damage to the vehicle and its passengers. I've taken this vehicle in numerous times only to be told it's cosmetic. But when I paid $26,000 for it that wasn't cosmetic or a problem. They knew these dashes were defective and still put them on vehicles. So what in the H did they need any bail out money I'm sure billions were save by cheating the consumer. So we should have said if you business is going under it's cosmetic so sorry.

- , Hampton, USA

Feb 012015

Ram 1500 XLT 4.9L

I purchased my truck in Dec. 2002. It's always been garaged and dash has been kept clean with Armor All or other products. I was totally surprised when my passenger noticed a crack a couple of months ago. A straight line crack, front to back. While looking to find a replacement piece online, I noticed a forum where I found this was a common occurrence due to poor manufacturing practices.

I have to say, adding this to the faulty post handle on the driver's side I replaced and the faulty, broken ash try hinge....this manufacturer of all these plastic parts has failed miserably.

- , Renton, USA

Apr 192013

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

Cracked dash in front of steering wheel and passenger top side in line with left side of glove box, are about 1" wide and looks horrible. Reports are that Dodge dealers are refusing to work on faulty airbags. Recall because dash falls apart during work.

- , Buena Park, CA, USA

May 012014

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L

I bought the truck in 2004, sometime around 2011 the dash had a hairline crack. Today the dash is completely cracked and pieces of the dash is falling into the vents. I thought Dodge made quality products. My truck only has 87000 miles on it and it looks cheaply made.

- , Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Mar 012012

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L Hemi

I have taken excellent care of my truck since the day I bought it. In fact, after it gets washed, people often ask me if I bought a new truck, which is a nice compliment for a 12 year old truck. However, the dash is cracked in two places - driver and passenger side. The cracks run the entire depth of the dash and makes the truck look extremely cheap, which, quite frankly, is a black mark on Dodge.

Those same people that ask if my truck is new, when they get in ask "you obviously take great care of your truck. Did Dodge just totally cheap out on this particular part?"

Answer - yes.