7.8

1. enough complaints to dodge will get a recall-1-800-992-1997 (206 reports)
  2. replace dashboard (101 reports)
  4. band together class action suit- imply fit/merchantability (13 reports)
  5. call 1-866-726-4636 (Dodge) & 1-888-327-4236 (NHTSA) (13 reports)
  6. replace dash (11 reports)
2003 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Dodge Ram 1500:

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 5 of 23)

May 012012

Ram 1500 5.7L

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500. My dash is cracking terribly. I was cleaning my vehicle today and when I got to the dashboard, using armoral to clean it, the defroster vent disintegrated and fell somewhere into the bottom. This is unsightly and extremely aggrevating. I spent my hard earned money to buy this vehicle because I like the design and style. I would have never spent my money on this truck If I knew then what I know now. From what I understand Dodge and the Ram division is not doing anything about this, my advice to you is to have a little integrity and initiate a recall of this part.

- , North Little Rock, AR, USA

Jan 122010

Ram 1500 5.7L V8

While my truck is a 2003 model it has as of today only 86,000 miles on it and MOST IMPORTANTLY IS GARAGE KEPT AT HOME AND WORK and therefore is not exposed to the elements.

- , Rowlett, TX, USA

Sep 302012

Ram 1500 5.7L

My dash crack right in half. In the summer time the windows are always open. Im not happy about this one bit.

- , Racine, WI, USA

Sep 012006

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L V8

Dashboard cracks started developing around 2006 and have accelerated in intensity and number over the last few years. Pieces are breaking off and becoming a hazard. Chrysler has stated they won't do anything as it is "out of warranty." Other people I've consulted have said it's a well known manufacturing defect, especially with this model and year. As a former engineer, I'm well aware of the hazard of "latent defects" in manufactured products and this certainly fits the definition.

I've never had a problem like this with any of the vehicles I've owned over my lifetime. I'm very disappointed that Chrysler is not standing behind their product. I hope this wide-spread defect doesn't result in serious personal injuries in the future. If so, that will be a lot more expensive for them to address.

- , Winter Park, FL, USA

May 012012

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

2003 dodge ram 1500 dashboard been cracking,for about one years or more. Chrysler Group,LLC, needs to check on the problem. and give us a solution. ASAP.....

- , Compton, CA, USA

May 102013

Ram 1500 Laramie 5.9L V8

A vehicle costing in excess of $30,000.00 should not have dashboards cracking at just over 67,000 miles. There is no excuse for using inferior plastics in an expensive vehicle. The Chrysler factory should fix this vehicle free of charge.

- , Mountain Home, AR, USA

Feb 042013

Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7L Hemi

Two cracks have appeared in the dashboard and both are growing. The truck has been well cared for and always garaged.

- , Libertyville, IL, USA

Jan 012012

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L V8

Safety hazard of sharp plastic edges in the event of an accident.

- , Thomson, GA, USA

Mar 012012

Ram 1500 Laramie 5.6L

Dash cracked by the passenger air bag. It's been cracked for a while but i didn't notice till one of my passengers mentioned it. It really expands on hot days.

- , Hayward, CA, USA

Mar 012013

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

I just bought myself a 2003 dodge ram 1500 back in february of 2013 .. i didn't have the car for a month when the dash started cracking ... its getting worse and i don't think i should be responsible for fixing it ! If i would've known i was going to have a problem like this with a newer dodge i would've just kept my 96 one that i never had a issue with ..something needs to be done bc every time i turn on my defrost i have pieces of plastic shooting out and it makes my car look like sh*t !

- , murrells inlet, SC, USA

Dec 142012

Ram 1500 4.7L

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

Just under two years ago a church member whom has a ram 1500 showed me his cracked collapsed dashboard. It was horrible and I was thinking what was he using to make that happen. Then I noticed a small crack near just under the window shield that spread down to the top of the glove compartment. Took the truck to the local dodge dealer (ROUNDTREE) and was told the repair would cost me 1200.00. This is obviously a defect in the material and needs to be recalled ASAP!

Update from Aug 16, 2013: The dash crack has grown longer. Took to dodge and they said 1300. To replace.

- , Mobile, AL, USA

Mar 172013

Ram 1500

Just bought a really nice 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 which looks new inside and out. The only problem is the cracking dash that takes the looks away from the truck. I worked for automotive interior supplier and this would not happen if proper testing was done before installation in trucks. Dodge needs to step up and replace since we stepped up and saved their company.

- , New Bern, NC, USA

Jul 172012

Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7L Hemi

Should not have to fix something like this so soon. I have seen several newer years doing the same thing. I have had trucks 30 years old without the dash cracking, not a dodge.

- , Zebulon, NC, USA

Apr 192006

Ram 1500

I purchased my truck Jan 2006 with only 32,000 miles. In around Apr 2006 my dash board started to fall apart. I have been on several different websites looking for anyone else having the same issue, and low and behold there are SEVERAL people out there having the same issues with this make and model. I also checked for any recalls and I was very surprised to see there wasn't even an investigation started. Please help to get our dashboards replaced.

- , Grandfield, OK, USA

Jan 012011

Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7L

DASH IS CONTINUING TO CRACK AND QUICKLY BREAK PIECE BY PIECE ON EACH VENT. DODGE NEEDS TO RECALL AND REPLACE THIS ONGOING PROBLEM!!!!!

- , Encinitas, CA, USA

Jun 012009

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L Hemi

Pieces of the vents have fell into the defroster and rattle. It is very unsightly when driving. The rest of the vehicle still looks in great shape except for the cracked and busted dash.

- , Scottsville, KY, USA

May 032012

Ram 1500 LX V6

This is a real problem that Dodge needs to fix. Had I known this I may not have purchased the truck.

- , Tulsa, Okla, USA

Apr 102009

Ram 1500 LX 5.7L

This is really bad, my 2003 gmc park right to my ram and the dash still look like new.

- , Jamestown, NC, USA

Jun 172011

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L Hemi

Dashboard has become cracked. It is a safety hazard.

- , Honolulu, HI, USA

Jan 022008

Ram 1500

this is a bad and needs to be recalled by dodge. it may determine if i buy another dodge or not.

- , Sullivan, IN, USA