8.4

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Dodge Ram 1500:

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments

May 012016

Ram 1500 ST 4.7L

I bought this new back in 2003 had no issues with the truck for the first ten years. The truck treated me good but then it all went down hill from there, the injectors went, the box started rusting out, the manifolds are now going, windshield motor had to be replaced not knowing there was a recall on it I was never notified. Oil pan is rusting out, noticed it at my last oil change and surprised to notice the rear frame of the truck is rusting away. Who in their right mine would put styrofoam between the outer box panel and inner box panel any body with a brain cell would know that styrofoam holds and traps moisture. And while I'm on the topic of brain cells who puts steel studs for a manifold into aluminum block don't these guys have educated engineers that know steel and aluminum don't mix. Anyway thinking about buying a new truck for the wife it might be a Toyota Tundra I think. I got to keep mine for a few more years yet just bought a new plow for it last winter got to run it to the ground now to get my money's worth before she breaks in two.

- , Stephenville Crossing, Nl, Canada

Nov 032016

Ram 1500

I took my truck to the shop yesterday to have a flat tire fixed and when they put it up on the lift to change the tire, they said the frame started to buckle because of the severe rust to the frame. I knew I had a rust problem because the wheel wells on both sides have rusted; but I had no idea about the frame. They told me it will never pass inspection again -- great.... I bought this truck brand new and the only problem I have ever had is needing a new radiator - that's it! Great truck and I love it. But it's still running and now I can't get an inspection.

- , Ruckersville, VA, US

Aug 012016

Ram 1500 4x4 Crew Cab 4.7L

hardly driven always under carport. went to garage to fix a brake line and was told that was the least of my problem, frame rusted thru both sides in front of a 4 inch pipe going thru frame 1 inch of frame left told it was toast I am not impressed will never buy dodge again!!

Truck has hardly any mileage never beach driven all easy miles. Truck box body also has rust cancer and and for the year I was told not worth fixing. Interior is excellent condition but cant drive that. Very unhappy soon to be Ford customer.

- , Queen Charlotte, BC, Canada

Apr 012015

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7lV8

I bought a 2003 dodge ram 1500 4x4 quad cab pickup brand new. With in the last few years the bed rusted out around the wheel wells, looks like crap. Then within the last 6 months I found out that the frame was rotted out. Was going to go to dodge about this problem, but was told that the best thing to do is trade it in. I dont want to trade it, I like my truck. Then I heard its an old truck, it may be 13 years old it still runs good and the cab is still in good condition. Like toyota, dodge needs to stand behind this and do the right thing and fix the problem,if not i will never buy another dodge product again.

- , Whiteford, MD, USA

Sep 242015

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

I bought my 2003 Ram 1500 used 2 1/2 years ago. It looked great and ran fine. i used it to work and home (about 30 miles round trip) and about a year after I bought it I found out that the stock rims were rusting around the valve stems causing flat tires. Ok, not a big deal, I replace the rims with aftermarkets that made the truck look better. Now I went to my local service center for a tune up and inspection and they told me it couldn't be inspected due to a severely rusting frame. i was shown two holes where the frame was rusted through, 1 at the front of the left rear wheel well and another further up on the same side. I was told it can't be fixed. I'd scrap it or part it out but still have payments to make on it. I feel better about it after finding out there are others with the same problem but also feel it is something that Dodge should take care of. Either buy these trucks back or replace the frames.

- , Frackville, PA, USA