7.3

2. replace the in-tank fuel pump (2 reports)
  3. replaced tps (1 reports)
2003 Dodge Ram 1500 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Dodge Ram 1500:

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments

Mar 012014

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 4.7L V8. I have been having this problem with my truck for a couple of months now. I will start the truck up no problem but when I come to that first stop it begins. The rpms will bottom out but until this past week it would continue running, but now it will die. Sometimes, if the truck doesn't die, after the rpms bottom out, they will all of a sudden surge and accelerate me unexpectedly. This is most dangerous when pulling out into traffic.

I thought it may be dirty fuel, dirty injectors, spark issues, so . Right now notable symptoms include the check engine light reading of down-flow O2 sensor, the bogging, the surging, and no cruise control, and the occasional engine cutting off. I have changed the throttle control sensor, O2 sensors, checked the gaping on the spark plugs, and used fuel and fuel injector cleaners. The mechanics at the shop I have been using say they have been unable to replicate the issues and they can find nothing wrong. Definitely a priority to get this fixed.

- , Ft Riley, KS, USA

Feb 242012

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

I began having problems with my engine stalling during idle/low speed approximately six months ago. The problem went away on its own and has now reappeared. The check engine light works but does not come on. When starting the vehicle it begins to idle rough and the RPM gauge is all over the place and the engine stalls. It always starts right up, but this issue concerns me as well. I know Chrysler has got to be aware of the problem and I also feel that they are not wanting to give a recall on this engine problem and the defective dashboards in the Dodge Ram trucks. Unless they do something to remedy these situations to the people who have already spent their hard earned money on their products... I will never buy another Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep product again.. looks are not everything...only vanity. I'll be looking for GMC or Chevy soon. Left feeling used and abused after calling the dealership to no avail.

- , Okeechobee, FL, USA

Oct 012010

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

Less than a year after buying my truck it began to stall and then completely shut off at stop lights. I tried taking it to the dealership but they claimed it wasn't covered because it was due to lack of regular maintenance. I had driven it less than seven thousand miles since pulling off their lot. Thankfully we found a guy to take off the throttle body and clean it for $25. Since then it has not gotten to the point of cutting off. But every couple of months there will be a day, especially if I am low on gas and/or stopping on a hill, that it will start to stall and shudder. The chemicals you can buy at Walmart to clean the fuel system help but they only put it off for a little while. This is not something I expected to hit around 50k miles.

- , Forest, VA, USA

Oct 312012

Ram 1500 5.7L

The lightning bolt started flashing once a week, then became more frequent, once a day. I have to pull over, shut the engine off and restart to reset the sensor. If I don't pull over and restart the engine, the truck loses power and hesitates. Has something to do with the throttle position sensor. Seems like there are a lot of complaints on this.

- , Pottsville, PA, USA

Jul 272012

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

I have an 03 dodge ram with 76,000 miles that has been a nightmare. Most recently, when accelerating, the truck loses power for about 30 seconds, almost like it died, then kicks back in and runs fine. Changed the TPS, no luck. Put seafoam in tank for water in the gas, no luck. This is a dangerous situation when pulling out into traffic and not having any acceleration when you are half way out in the road. Definately a safety hazard that needs to be recalled!!

- , Carroll, IA, USA

Feb 092012

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

TRUCK WOULD HESITATE UNDER HEAVY BRAKING, SOMETIMES STALL AND DIE AT A STOP LIGHT, REPLACED TPS (THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR). $30.00 AND 15 MIN. TRUCK RUNS GREAT!

- , Bremerton, WA, USA

Jul 012012

Ram 1500 4.7L

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7, last summer while driving on a 350 mile trip, the rpms started surging up & down, I stop to get fuel & it would not start back up. The dealer changed the cam sensor & the evac valve & it didn't fix the problem. I've taken it back 4 times & they say everything is ok, no engine codes. Now its stalling & surging more & more. Can someone please tell me whats the problem. Because Dodge has no idea.

- , New Orleans, LA, USA

May 012012

Ram 1500

Was slowing down on a curve and the truck just died.I had to put in park,turn key off and restart. I was on a downhill blind curve. It had no lights on,all gauges had great readings,before this happened. What is up with this?

- , Davy, WV, USA

Jun 022011

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

Stalls out at red light & stop signs. Put it in neutral and it starts right back up. Someone please help me.

- , Leland, MS, USA

Mar 072011

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

My truck has done this many times. It will begin to chug then die. No engine codes are shown and it starts right back up. The first time it stalled I was slowing down from 80km/h and turning onto the highway. Every time you start the truck from cold it has an erratic idle, and is chugging until warmed up.

- , Toronto, Ontario, canada

Aug 112010

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

I own a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500, 4.7L V8. This year 2010, at approximately 85,000 miles, the engine started dying at random, usually when decelerating, the rpm's also surge up and down several hundred rpm. I first took it in for a tune-up which didn't solve the problem. Took it back, they changed the air control valve, did not cure the problem. Have taken it to the dealer several times, left the truck with them for 2-3 weeks, they witness the problem but their (excuse) computer doesn't get a read on the problem. The dealer says they contacted Chysler about the problem but I still have the problem. Is bad when the dealer you purchase a vehicle from cannot repair a life threatening problem! Cannot believe there hasn't been a recall? This was the first & the last Dodge I will purchase!

- , Port Lavaca, TX, USA

Oct 172010

Ram 1500 4.7L

Yesterday, while pulling a 25' camper on the interstate doing 58mph had to accelerate up a little because 65mph road, trans shifted fine on acceleration to 60 and within seconds engine light came on and truck STALLED. Pulled off to shoulder and placed in park, gave a couple seconds and truck started right up, but then just shut off again. Wouldn't start for 30 minutes. Then started with no problem but engine light is still on; shifted fine and acceleration no problem; drove over 130 miles home with no more stalls. Today, drove 12 mile with engine light on but no stalls. Went to return home but won't start. Waited 30 minutes and truck started right up and drove home with no stalling. Engine light is still on. This is a SERIOUS problem having NO WARNING that vehicle can stall while traveling at a HIGH RATE of speed. No hesitation problems, no acceleration problems, no shifting issues, just BAMM, engine stalls, just like that. DODGE needs to rectify this issue before someone gets killed.

- , Georgetown, DE, USA

Jul 042010

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

Seen this on many post. The car would stumble or stall within 20 seconds after starting or restaarting after a short time. The fix I found was to replace the in-tank fuel pump! (mine was new and only a few months old!) Apparently there is a check valve built into the fuel pump. If the check valve is bad, the fuel will drain back into the fuel tank. When you start the truck, the pump will pressureize the fuel in the line, but the line will contain a pressurize void in the fuel line. No code will be set however, when the void hits the fuel rail, the engine will stumble or stall for a few seconds and then surge when the void is injected into the engine. Not good if trying to jump out in traffic. Yes, you can set still and let the engine idle for a few minutes and most the time the problem will not occur, but who has that much time to get to work! Glad to have figured out the solution and thought I would share it with everyone!

- , Barling, AR, USA

May 272010

Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4.7L

We have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab. The problem started last summer with multiple trips to the garage and no resolution. It seemed to clear over the winter months, but here we are in May and the problems are back.

The vehicle trys to shut off or does shut off when the vehicle is idle at a stop. Of course this in never able to be duplicated on the diagnostic equipment at the garage. We replaced the cam sensor, crank sensor, throttle body sensor, o2 sensor. Of course the check engine comes on. Hundreds of dollars later,no resolution. Can anybody help.

- , Lebanon, PA, Lebanon

Jan 102010

Ram 1500

Wow, slightly reassuring to see I am not the only one having this damned problem. My truck started doing the "Check Engine" Light and the "Flashing Red Lightning Bolt of Doom" at right around 36k miles. I have had it checked a few times, but they never can seem to either duplicate the problem or fix it. I have been told that it may be linked to air flow.....but I have followed all the advice given to resolve this...and I am still having the problem. It has recently...I'd say around 90k miles....started doing the "Shutter and Die" thing. Usually this happens when I am just taking off or sometimes randomly when I have just come to a stop at a sign or light. Anyone knowing what it takes to fix this problem....and an estimated cost....your advice would be greatly appreciated. I love my truck....but am getting REALLY tired of this crap.

- , Haskell, AR, USA

Sep 222009

Ram 1500 Hemi 5.7L

I'm having a problem with my truck stalling and check engine light comes on and the red lightning bolt shows up. If anyone knows what the fix is let me know.

- , Martietta, GA, USA

Jun 012009

Ram 1500 5.7L V8

ok... For approximately 3 months now, my trucks check engine light will come on with a red, flashing lightning bolt in the lower right corner of the dash. The truck acts like it loses the overdrive and feels like it drops a gear, increasing the rpms driving down the road. When I let off the accelerator, the truck immediately goes into VERY low idle almost stalling completely. When I try to accelerate again it takes approximately 2-3 seconds to kick back in and the tach shoots straight up!!!! What the F? My error codes read P2175 and P2106. I would take it to the shop or the dealer but dont really feel like getting @$$ raped again! Any help?

- , Saginaw, TX, USA

Jan 272008

Ram 1500 Loaded 5.7L

I bought this truck in March of 2007 with only 17000 miles on it. Like Brand new but 5 years old. not a scratch on it. the previous over put thousands in lowering this truck, full body kit two spoilers. More than your average truck. so come this past summer im on the highway towing my company trailer, and had just commented to my cousin the truck was at 32900 miles and I would be voiding my warranty soon if it weren't for the time voidance. then dead!!! on the highway, in the fast lane, with my trailer behind me, the truck shudders and dies. no power brakes, so steering, NOTHING!!!!! the truck started back up right away like everything was fine and didn't do it again for another 500 miles or so. then another 500, and another 500 and so on. My truck died on me once at a stop sign with my wife in the truck in the middle of a snow storm. But this time it wouldn't start.4 hours later waiting for a tow truck and freezing our asses off. thank god we didn't have our 2 and 7 year old with us. I have changed plugs, wires, fuel pump, etc. I could go on forever about this. i thought i was the only one. this is exciting to know its not just my luck.so yeah, died couple times in middle of intersections with no brakes and steering. I want this fixed. I spent $7000.00 supercharging this truck when it had 26,000 miles on it and it was fine, right after i rolled 32000 it started. I thought i had to work some bugs out of my tuning. But when i was on the dodge forum i belong to there are a bunch of guys asking about this same exact problem. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Strongsville, OH, USA

Jan 092007

Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi

I have had this truck to the dealership four, count em 4 times and they say they can't

get it to duplicate. Yet when I back out of my driveway or pull in my driveway and turn the wheel the truck stalls or dies. It's back in the shop now a year later and they still can't seem to "find" the problem yet I see this again and again all over the internet. What's up Dodge? Anyone out there found the solution, yet?????

Update from Jun 13, 2010: Here we go again. Took my 05' in and they told me it needed a New throttle body and lifters(covered under the warranty) a tune up and injectors(not covered under warranty).But they can't seem to tell me why a 05' truck with 50,000 miles needs a damn throttle body AND lifters .....for the second time!!!

- , Moore, OK, USA