2003 Dodge Ram 1500 suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Dodge Ram 1500:

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 162016

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that rust was discovered on the torsion bar mount up to the front of the leaf spring mount. In addition, after the vehicle was mounted on jack stands, it was discovered that the frame was corroded. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 81,000.

- Westfield, MA, USA

Jun 112016

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500. While driving at approximately 60 mph, a loud noise came from the rear of the vehicle. The contact stated that upon deceleration the gear shift shook rapidly. While putting the vehicle in park, the driveshaft fell and the rear driveshaft axle lifted. The contact stated that the vehicle was towed to his residence where he diagnosed that the rear driveshaft axle failed due to a loose rear axle pinion nut. The vehicle was repaired, however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 150,000.

- Keizer, OR, USA

Apr 042016

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500. While driving at an unknown speed, black smoke emitted from the rear of the vehicle without warning. In addition, when the brake pedal was depressed, an abnormal sound emitted from the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the brakes, calipers, and rotors needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the hub bearing, wheel hub, axle shaft assembly, and driveshaft needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. Lastly, the front driver side headlight failed to operate. The head lamp was replaced. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 201,281. Updated 06/29/16

- Vulcan, MI, USA

Apr 032016

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500. While driving approximately 35 mph, an abnormal sound emitted from the rear of the vehicle and it stopped abruptly without warning. In addition, the vehicle failed to move forward. The contact inspected the vehicle and discovered that the pinion nut loosened and caused the driveshaft to fracture from the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V038000 (power train). The failure mileage was 175,000.

- Arkansas Pass, TX, USA

Sep 142015

Ram 1500

Rear differential failure. On Sept 14, 2015 I was pulling out of a parking lot when I heard a loud bang. My truck stop moving causing me to apply the brake. When I tried to put the truck in park it would not engage. There was a person walking in the parking lot and informed me that my rear end was leaking fluid. I was on a slight incline so I was able to coast in a parking space and apply the parking brake. When I got out of the truck I seen the fluid pouring out. At this time I called aaa and had a tow truck sent to this area. When the tow truck arrived the driver was loading the truck onto the flat bed and that's when myself and the tow truck driver seen a silver dollar size hole on the front side of the pumpkin just below the drive shaft. I contacted my mechanic and told him about this incident and let him know I would be sending the truck to him for further inspection. My mechanic contacted me on Sept 15, 2015 and informed me that the pinion shaft snapped off the gear and the hole I seen was the shaft trying to come through the housing. My mechanic stated in his professional opinion this was a factory defect the way this shaft snapped off clean. I truly believe that this needs to be investigated immediately before someone gets (killed). I was only driving about 7mph through the parking lot., had I been traveling at highway speeds this could have ended fatal for me or anyone traveling next too me. Being that this shaft was able to do this kind of damage to a steel housing moving at this low rate of speed.

- East Hartford, CT, USA

Sep 092015

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500. While driving at 40 mph, there was an abnormal odor coming from the rear of the vehicle. The rear tires seized and the contact was unable to drive the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 190,000.

- Augusta, GA, USA

Jul 242015

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 60 mph, abnormal noises were coming from the vehicle and veered to the left. The contact stated that the drive shaft was detached from the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the rear differential needed to be replaced due to the rear pinion bolt vibrating off the rear axle. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 140,000. MA 10/23/15

- Hauppauge, NY, USA

Apr 252015

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500. While driving 55 mph, the contact heard a loud abnormal noise and there was a sudden loss of power steering. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who stated that the rear pinion nut loosened and detached. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 106,000.

- Las Vega , NV, USA

Apr 192011

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

The rear end grinds and has been for many years or is grinding little metal pieces off truck is unsafe to drive any longer until rear end gets replaced.

- Arena, WI, USA

Jan 122015

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

While driving down the road I felt my entire truck shudder. Pulled over as soon as possible and saw driveshaft laying on the ground. Had truck towed back to my residence, where I inspected threat end and saw that the pinion but had backed off and cause driveshaft to come undone from rear differential my entire rear end is locked up and needs to be rebuilt. There is currently a recall for 2004 and 2005 for this same issue. However the recall states this could happen. Unfortunately it did happen to me and currently my vehicle is not on the list. 2003 Ram 1500 has 9.25 rear end, same as the recalled vehicles. I've been told by Chrysler that I should get vehicle repaired and hold onto receipt in case a recall arises with my vehicle. However this doesn't seem right since it's almost exactly the same truck with same equipment and this equipment failure isn't a potential issue, it's already ruined my rear end that I now have to pay myself due to faulty equipment, recall that should cover my vehicle.

- Ferndale , MI, USA

Jun 272014

Ram 1500

Pulling boat and rear end broke leaving me with no steering. The trailor jackknifed and the boat ended up next to the truck.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Mar 102014

Ram 1500

The contact owns 2003 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, the vehicle exhibited a loud, continual noise from the rear as the vehicle stalled. The vehicle could not be restarted and had to be towed. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic, who stated that the rear wheel bearings needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Nov 192009

Ram 1500

The dash started to crack on my 2003 Ram 1500 pickup, the cracks just get worse, and a pieace flew off while I was driving, and hit me in the eye, almost lost control of my truck, Dodge needs to recall and fix these dashboards before some one is hurt or killed, afraid to let any one ride in the front seat.

- Palm Harbor, FL, USA

Jan 182013

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Passenger side steering suspension bracket broke away from rusted out frame, on my handicapped van. Drivers side badly cracked, about to break. We were lucky it was not a fatal accident. Chrysler Corp. Refuses to accept responsibility. This should be a recall before it becomes a fatal accident. I have a note from my insurance adjuster, that I can forward insurance does not cover.

- Ravenna, OH, USA

May 012007

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 club cab. The contact stated that while driving at unknown speeds, there was a roaring noise coming from the tires and the rear tires failed to move. The contact was unable to drive vehicle. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for inspection, who stated a pin in the rear axle had fractured. The rear axle was rebuilt and repaired. The contact noticed growling noises coming from the rear again. The manufacturer was made aware, however, no assistance was provided. The current mileage was 240,000. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Snellville, GA, USA

Sep 152010

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that when driving at various speeds, there was a slight grinding noise coming from the rear of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the rear bearings were replaced. After the repair, the contact was driving approximately 50 mph when he noticed a much louder grinding noise from the rear of the vehicle. The contact stopped the vehicle on the shoulder and noticed that the rear axle was detached from the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing. The technician stated that the rear axle would have to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- West Babylon, NY, USA

Jan 262010

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated he purchased a set of gabriel ultra shocks, model number 1290-0875-40, that were installed on the vehicle. While driving approximately 40 mph, the contact drove over a road bump and the shock blew out. The contact stated that the bolts needed to be tightened yet the failure recurred four times. The auto parts retailer in which he purchased the shocks was contacted and advised that the incorrect bolts were placed in the box he purchased. The contact stated the last time the failure occurred the front wheel bearings, tires and stabilizer link needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 95,000. The VIN was not available. Updated 04/15/11 updated 08/17/11

- Toledo, OH, USA

Dec 132006

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Dodge Ram. While performing an oil change, the dealer stated that all four lower ball joints were loose and needed to be replaced. While driving at low speeds, 10mph the steering wheel began shaking. The failure occurred at 49500 miles. The current mileage is 52000. The engine size is not available.

- Rensselaer, NY, USA

Nov 222004

Ram 1500 4WD 6-cyl

A loud clanking noise was heard coming from the front of the vehicle. The consumer was able to drive it to the dealer for inspection. The mechanic informed the consumer that both driver and passenger side axle U bolts needed to be replaced. Please fill in additional information.

- Carbondale, KS, USA

Jun 092004

Ram 1500

When braking at 15 mph steering pulled to the right. Dealership was notified, but did not resolve the problem.

- Pembroke Pines, FL, USA