1. mold handle from metal then coat with plastic (2 reports)
  2. weld to frame with metal instead of plastic (2 reports)
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Dodge Ram 1500:

2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments

Jan 022008

Ram 1500 FS Hemi

Cheap construction cheap design. These grabs started breaking little by little soon after buying this vehicle. I complained to Dodge dealer they did nothing. I emailed the corporation and they basically said if I repaired and paid the cost myself, they might refund me the labor cost only. MAYBE BUT NOT LIKELY. Why, because if they did pay, it would be admitting they had faulty item. I've checked in junk yards for these grabs, but all are broken. All that's left is the Mickey Mouse piece of plastic that held the grab in place. These were meant to fail, cheap ass plastic where steel should have been used.

Every time someone gets in, including myself, we grab the seat, the steering wheel, whatever we can hold. It's bullshit and Dodge knows about this faulty grab. My mom almost fell trying to grab nothing to help herself up. From what I've been told that after market doesn't sell these, you have to go to dealer.

I've reminded Chrysler how many vehicles we have purchased from them, AT LEAST 6. All new but 1 Caravan. Well guess what Chrysler Corporation, we are down to only owning 2 of your vehicles. They have been replaced by BMW and Volkswagen. You should have replaced my grabs on my 2004 Ram that's all I asked. I told you I would no longer refer Dodge to my family. You now have lost nearly $80,000 in revenue from us. Too late you should have fixed my grabs. Thank you Lopez Family Calif

- , Chula Vista, CA, USA

May 082012

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

The business that I was leaving has a video of this incident and other photos....I went to enter our Dodge Ram (Driver`s Side) on May 8th 2012, and as I was pulling myself up into the cab using the grab handle, it broke loose sending me flying backwards hitting my knee, hip, ribs and head. Laying there unable to get up another patron saw me and eventually an ambulance was summons. BTW, I am 62 Years Old and on Disability with back and leg problems ! After a full cat-scan was performed, although I had bumps and bruises and a nasty headache, I was told nothing was broken and I was able to go home. I am very concerned about this issue as this could have been much worse!! It is sad that Dodge has this problem, as up until now my husband, Steve and I, have been quite happy with our truck....But now I am seeing that this PROBLEM is STILL ONGOING in NEWER DODGE RAMS, and even with the complaints there has NOT been a RECALL on these vehicles. PLEASE DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS before SOMEONE IS HURT SERIOUSLY!

- , Hamburg, NY, USA

Aug 082011

Ram 1500 LXT V8

My wife was getting in the truck when the grip handle broke. She was almost in the seat. She fell to the ground and fractured her right wrist.It has been over 4 weeks since this happened and she is still in a lot of pain.

- , Benton, AR, USA

Aug 012011

Ram 1500 V8

I was surprised when I found out so many other Ram owners were having the same problem as me! Cheap grab handle broke as I was getting in my truck, and there is no way to fix it with replacing it. Sure, I found a company that will sell me a bushing for $70, but at that price I could buy a new handle online! So disappointed in Dodge for making such a crappy accessory, and then denying that it is for anything other than appearance.

- , Junction City, OR, USA

Aug 042011

Ram 1500

Husband was climbing into truck using grip bar plastic around bolts gave way. Entire piece from the dash to the ceiling ripped off. He fell out of the truck the only thing that saved him from serious injury is he fell into the grass. My husband only weighs 190 so weight is not a factor. After inspecting the piece it is a very thin plastic that holds it in place it looks as if it was designed for looks instead of use but that shouldn't be the case for such a large truck.

- , Fort Campbell, KY, USA