8.6

$1,500.00

1. rebuild rear differential (3 reports)
  2. replace rear differential (2 reports)
  4. service differential every 12,000 miles (1 reports)
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Dodge Ram 1500:

2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments

Dec 062013

Ram 1500 1500 5.7L

Was on my back to indiana from florida when the rear end started whining. I thought it was my transmission at first, but I was told by a shop that it was the pinion bearing. limped it home, and yes it was the pinion bearing. had the whole rear end rebuilt due to all seals were leaking and u-joints bad.

- , Marion, IN, USA

Oct 182009

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

two trucks,more problems than one person deserves in one dodge lifetime.from problems with drivetrains to drive shaft problems,hub problem to even having the hood scoop breather blow off in traffic,to the point that dalimer dodge closes their doors.need i say more.no one wants another dodge.what happened to the lemon law ,i think they should recall the lemon tree.

- , Hmstd, FL, USA

Sep 012010

Ram 1500 5.7L

I can't believe a poor design (that's a quote from Dodge) on the clutch clips is something that Dodge should ignore!! This truck has been maintained as recommended by Dodge and has 87,000 miles (highway).

- , Franklin, NC, USA

Jan 262009

Ram 1500 5.7L

Bought the truck used...probably a bad idea but it's a beaut! First started having problems in May 08. Found out I have a restricted warrenty! Man was I pissed! Had to pay for the replacement of the rear diff. That sucks! What makes it worse we've drove it some...only to start the grinding again a couple days ago...not sure what I'm going to do now...hopefully we can find out what is causing this problem and get it fixed asap

- , Eafb, AK, USA

Apr 242006

Ram 1500 LE

Replaced Rear Differential on the Dodge Ram 1500. Recommend Service every 12,000 miles on the Differentials and make sure you are putting limited slip Differential fluid in the rear end along with the additive needed to properly lubd. DO NOT MISS SERVICE ON THE DIFFERENTIAL or you will have a $3,000.00 Bill. Also if you can buy a new Differential cover after market that helps cool the oil in the differential. Thsi will also help. Differential Cover with Fins and over sized. You can do the same to the Transmission as well, recommend it if you want you truck to last for ever.

I cannot stress enough to have you car service as much as you can and always ask questions make sure when you leave the service department YOU UNDERSTAND, dont let them control anything you make them explain what you need and why. SERVICE SERVICE SERVICE...

- , Hemet, CA, USA

Nov 042007

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L Hemi

At 7,000 miles, the differential was leaking. I had the seal replaced; less than a year later, at about 37,000 miles, the grinding from the rear end was loud enough I had it checked out. There was some wear, the parts were replaced, and I went on my way. Within 2 weeks, the drive train dropped to the ground in rush-hour traffic (everyone's nightmare!). One of the new parts was defective, and it was replaced. Within the next week, there was a gear noise. The new parts had "an unusual wear pattern," and the entire differential was rebuilt. Now, less than 4,000 miles later, The grinding has returned. I have not yet had it diagnosed, although I know it's in the differential. I will continue to have it repaired until the warranty runs out @ 75,000 miles or I get rid of it.

- , Choctaw, OK, USA

Jun 162005

Ram 1500 SLT

I HAVE NOTICED LATELY MAKING A HARD LEFT TURN, I FEEL A GRINDING COMING FROM THE REAR. THIS IS AFTER THE TRUCK IS HOT AND RUNNING QUITE A FEW MILES. DEALER COULD NOT REPEAT THE PROBLEM BUT IT ALSO HAD BEEN SITTING ON THE LOT OVERNITE. JUST KEEP IT NOTED FOR FUTURE!!!

- , Sellersville, PA, USA