9.2

$1,767.00

1. re-build rear axle (2 reports)
  3. replace rear gear and pinion (1 reports)
  4. replaced entire rear axle and drive shaft (1 reports)
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Dodge Ram 1500:

2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments

Jul 102009

Ram 1500 Quad ST/SLT

I was driving east on the I-80 toll road toward Ohio from Indiana. I was approximately 100 miles from home traveling about 70 MPH and the rear end exploded with a very loud bang. The drive shaft fell to the ground and began beating wildly underneath the truck. I immediately moved into the right lane and then slowly onto the paved emergency strip beside the road. The gear oil out of the differential was all over the tailgate and rear bumper. I looked underneath to see the drive train on the ground. I moved to lift the drive train up off the ground to prepare for the inevitable tow back home. I then saw the hole in the differential that was about the size of a soft ball.

I had my 13 year old son with me and our hearts were pounding. I was totally pissed. I had AAA towing come out and after our deductible it came to over $100 for the tow bill. I use to be a real Dodge fan but now I think Ford has my next purchase.

The mechanic had a hard time finding a replacement rear axle and drive shaft. I did not get the truck back until about 4 months passed. This is crap!!!!

- , Lakeville, IN, USA

Mar 162012

Ram 1500 SLT Hemi

what a piece of .... my son bought this truck a little over six months ago and has only put around 10.000 miles on it. had to have the tranny rebuilt 3 days before this nut fell off. thought maybe the repair shop was to blame but they tell me that this is common on these 2004 dodge ram 1500's. now he needs a new ring and pinion which is 900.oo and a new yoke and crush sleeve well with labor over 2000.00 . the truck never made a loud rear end noise or any noise and all of a sudden bam the drive shaft falls out going down the road and screwed up this truck

- , Holly, MI, USA

Feb 172010

Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7L Hemi

I couldn't believe I had to have the rear end re-built a second time. This one not covered by warranty. And only 116K easy highway miles. I have had nothing but expensive problems with this truck. First & Last Dodge I'll every buy.

- , Traverse City, MI, USA

Sep 262005

Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7L Hemi

I was displeased that I needed to have the rear axle re-built by the dealer on my new truck. It was covered by the warranty. However, I was really pissed off when it had to be rebuilt a second time at 116,702 miles. That one cost me $1,800 w/new front tie-rod ends.

- , Traverse City, MI, USA

Dec 082010

Ram 1500 SLT Hemi

My 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Rear End blew up and leaked fluid all over the car. We bought it used and the dealer said they had it serviced. The dealer who is looking at it now said that it never was, that the orange seal from the maufac is still intact. I am going to see if Chrysler will cover it under the power train warranty. Otherwise we are looking at $$$$$ of dollars in repair...

- , Chicago, IL, USA