2004 Dodge Ram 1500 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Dodge Ram 1500:

2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Nov 012011

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Vehicle stalls after fueling. This is very random and doesn't happen every time I fuel. I have noticed it happens more when I fuel the tank to the top. The vehicle can stall during driving or at a stop that also is random.

- Renton , WA, USA

Sep 022013

Ram 1500 8-cyl

I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 crew cab 5.7L hemi 2wd and it continues to stall every now and then at low speeds or at a complete stop. Vehicle will start right up with no problem but battery gauge takes a few seconds to rise to operating levels. Transmission also feels like it wants to slip at time of stall. Had engine and trans changed, battery and alternator checked out okay as well. Did some research and found that a lot of incidents happen after vehicle transmission ha been serviced or transmission fluid is low; other individuals who have experienced this problem have said they had the erg valve, tps sensor, map sensor and even software. I don't know what the problem is but you end up spending hundreds of dollars trying to figure this out. I don't know why Chrysler doesn't address this issue.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Nov 052012

Ram 1500 8-cyl

In the fall of last year the check engine light came on in my 2004 Dodge Ram 1500. The code that came up was misfire in cylinder 8. I took it to a mechanic and they said it was the fuel injector which they replaced. A few days later after getting my truck back the light came on again. This time the code was misfire in cylinder 6. I took it to a very trusted mechanic who stated it was a rocker arm that had come off due to junk in the engine. Once it was fixed again the light came on saying misfire in cylinder 8. the mechanic said it was the rocker arm on that cylinder and replaced it. This happened 4 more times in the next month. The mechanic, who is very reputable, believes this is a manufacturing defect that will continue to occur no matter how often it is repaired. He also stated he has seen this in many many Dodge trucks and most notably in the 474 engine. It is an engine and safety issue due to loss of throttle which occurs very often when the problem is on going and is definite risk of causing an auto accident. This code is coming up every other day now and I believe it needs to be recalled.

- West Valley City, UT, USA

Aug 072012

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph, the temperature gauge began to rise, smoke began to emanate from the hood area, and the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was towed to an independent for diagnosis and the contact was informed that the head gasket was blown and the engine would need to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired however, the failure recurred the same day as it was repaired. The mechanic then replaced the thermostat, water pump, radiator, and fan clutch on subsequent visits but the failure continued to recur. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle had not been further repaired. The failure and current mileage was 257,098.

- Montgomery, AL, USA

Sep 132007

Ram 1500 8-cyl

After filling gas tank full, engine dies when braking and turning a corner (losing steering) and coming to a stop. Starts back up fine, but stalls again on next low speed braking or turning a corner. Very similar to other accounts that I have read. I've had new plugs and O2 sensors costing mucho for zero result. When this occurs slowing down to make a slow turn, I have to throw it up to neutral to restart. Once I threw it in park going slowly, but it was dangerous to screech to a halt with a car behind me almost rear ended me. I've been told the same crap by dealers about this and I know they are playing dumb. The only remedy that I use for this is similar to others which is just don't fill it all the way up unless you are getting right out on the highway to run those speeds and not be stopping. I can't let others drive my truck unless I make sure that the tank is below three quarters of a tank. I can't believe that there's not a quick and dirty fix for this. Seems like you should disable emissions devices in the interest of safety.

- Waxahachie, TX, USA

Jan 012013

Ram 1500

I have two issues which I believe are related. The anti rollover valve in the fuel tank is sticking preventing fuel from entering the tank properly and bubbling back up the filler tube. This happens whenever you attempt to put in fuel and has resulted in multiple fuel spills. The second issue is after a fill up the truck may stall 4-5 times while at idle at stop lights or even while rolling resulting in loss of power steering, power brakes and no advanced warning. Both issues have multiple occurrences. I repaired my fuel tank by adding an auxiliary anti-rollover valve and plumbing it into the existing evap connections. This after the dealer refused to warranty the tank even though some models have been recalled and this does have a bulletin published.

- Portage, IN, USA

Feb 022007

Ram 1500 8-cyl

After refueling the vehicle, it stalls several times when braking, slowing down, or at idle. This always occurs in colder weather months.

- Cheshire, CT, USA

Mar 182013

Ram 1500 8-cyl

When I was pulling into a parking place the truck stalled. Lost power to the engine. This happened again a couple weeks later as I was sitting at a red light. And today it did it more than it ever has. Three red lights in a row the engine shut off.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Mar 202013

Ram 1500

Dodge 1500 stalls at slowing down. Same problem as reported in multiple postings here. Very dangerous situation.

- Cottage Grove, MN, USA

Feb 072013

Ram 1500 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where the failure was unable to be replicated. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 65,000 and the current mileage was 72,000.

- Hudson Falls , NY, USA

Feb 252013

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Vehicle stalls when slowing down for a stop sign, traffic or red light or when turning.

- West Mifflin, PA, USA

Nov 102012

Ram 1500 8-cyl

I have 2004 Dodge Ram and several times when usually turning my engine will stall! very dangerous and could have been killed! I see this is a very common problem in these vehicles and as far as I can see it has not been addressed! apparently, it will take a fatal accident to find out what the problem is!

- Warren, MI, USA

Dec 012011

Ram 1500

2004 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L hemi will stop running while driving. The engine completely shuts off while the vehicle is driving and the steering locks up. I have had several close calls and am currently seeking help in this matter. This is an extremely dangerous problem. I've taken it to three mechanics who have replaced all the oxygen sensors, the mass air flow sensor, throttle body, egr valve, air intake filter and the crank shaft sensor. There seems to be no end to this and everyone is just shooting in the dark. The dealerships do not get a code when they hook up to the vehicle. I am in fear of my safety. I have found several other people on the internet with the same problem.

- Lancaster, NY, USA

Sep 012012

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph, she heard a loud thud as the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was towed to the contact's home where an independent mechanic inspected the vehicle. The mechanic discovered that the retainer of the valve spring failed and caused the piston to penetrate the wall of the cylinder, causing a hole in the side of the engine block where coolant had flown into the oil. Neither the dealer nor the manufacturer was notified. The failure and current mileage was 110,000.

- Drexel, MO, USA

Apr 062012

Ram 1500

I bought an 04 Ram 1500 5.7 hemi that had around 80K miles on it when I bought it in Oct 2010. It was awesome the first and a half I had it, only minor repairs I.e battery, idler pulley, ignition switch. I did regular maintenance on it as well as oil changes. In late March 2012 I went to put gas in my truck and it would not let me put more than 10 or 15 cents in before it would "back fill" I was trying to figure out what the problem could be with that, then in early April 2012 I was driving home after running some errands, the truck had run great all day just like normal, but about 8 miles from house I hear this "thunk" and I have no power and I had this awful shaking and rattling noise. There were not even any warning lights telling we that there was something wrong, I called someone to tow it home that night. I did thankfully have another car to drive. In the months since I have been slowly tearing the engine apart with my dad, this week we finally pulled the heads and discovered that my # 6 piston was completely disintegrated and had punched a hole in my block! my original thought was that this was just a random fluke and it was just mine, but after reading on some Dodge forums I see that it was not just mine! this is ridiculous for an engine that has no more miles than this and had been properly maintained. My parents have a 1999 Ford F150 that has almost 300K on it and has not been maintained nearly as well... as my dad puts it "it has been run hard and put up wet" this engine has run like a champ! it even still has the original battery in it! there are many more reports of this happening to this engine both in the durango with that year hemi as well as the Ram on this forum

- Drexel, MO, USA

Oct 182012

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

Began to slow down for a traffic light and my truck stalled while moving almost causing me to rear end the person ahead of me since I lost all control of my brakes and power steering. From what I'm reading this had happened to many people with the same year, make and model vehicle without any type of recall and its too dangerous of a situation.

- Harper Woods, MI, USA

Oct 122012

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Vehicle was driving through a parking lot at approximately 5 miles per hour when suddenly the engine stalled. There was no loss of power to any other systems. The vehicle literally just cut off. The steering immediately became tight and unable to turn. I placed the truck in park and turned the key to the off position and waited about 30 seconds and tried to restart the truck. It operated for about 25 yards before doing the same thing again.

- Sevierville, TN, USA

Jul 062012

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Ram. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the vehicle stalled. The contact was able to safely maneuver to the shoulder. The vehicle was then taken to the dealer for a diagnosis. The dealer stated that the valve springs needed to be repaired. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and offered no assistance. The failure and current mileages were 57,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Odgen , UT, USA

May 192012

Ram 1500 8-cyl

I just bought this truck with 97,000 miles and it ran great when I took it for a test drive. Shortly after my purchase my truck suddenly stalled while I was making a slow turn leaving me without engine power, steering and brakes. The truck started right up and runs like there is nothing wrong with it. Normally I wouldn't file a complaint until I looked on the internet and saw a whole lot of people with the exact same problem that nobody seems able to fix.

- Rockdale, Tx, TX, USA