2004 Dodge Ram 1500 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Dodge Ram 1500:

2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jan 282009

Ram 1500 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500. While coasting across railroad tracks, the vehicle stalled when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The vehicle restarted within minutes of stalling. There was electrical power, but the engine was not running. There were no warning indicators illuminated prior to the failure. The failure has occurred at least three times within the last two years, in which the dealer reprogrammed the powertrain control module. The failure mileage was 44,000. Updated 3/3/09 the consumer stated the engine would always start up after it stalled. Updated 03/04/09.

- Brownstown, MI, USA

Nov 242008

Ram 1500

Engine failure. On several occasions the engine would stall upon acceleration. My 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 stalled on me after driving onto a patch of ice causing my steering wheel to become difficult to steer and the truck started sliding down an icy street, off the road and down a mountain until it came to a stop on a tree. Since the truck stalled and I was not able to restart it in time. The truck is now a total loss. The frame bent in the front drivers area of the truck, the steering became lose and the back passenger quarter panel is damaged which will not allow the tail gate to come down.

- Lester, WV, USA

Aug 112008

Ram 1500

2004 Dodge Ram. Stalled 3 separate times before dealer could find diagnostic reading to repair in 2005. The last time my truck died on an on ramp in traffic and the dealer had to tow it. Dealer replaced computer. August 2008 6:50am left to take children to school in extremely bad rainy weather. We were several miles up the road from our home and as I slowed to make a right hand turn I heard a loud whining noise and my truck turned off. I could not turn the steering wheel, had no lights, windshield wipers, brakes, nothing. The gear shift would not move to put back in park to try to restart. We had to sit in the road for several minutes before I could put it in park and it started. It was like the key was not in the ignition. The power steering wasn't out, the steering wheel was locked as were the brakes. I called the local Dodge dealer at 7:30am and was told to bring the truck in. I took my truck in at 8:30 am and as of 5:11 pm they can not find a code on the trucks computer as before in 2005. This is the 4th time on this same truck that it has shut down while driving and the second time they have had to fix it. I am not sure what they are going to do at this time because they said they can't find a code on the computer and are suggesting I pick it back up and continue to drive it until it does it again. This is a very dangerous situation that should be addressed before someone is injured or killed.

- Vancleave, MS, USA

Jul 132008

Ram 1500

My truck, a 2004 Dodge Ram 5.7 litre, stalls without any warning. It has happened twice now. Causes a loss of power steering but all of my electrical stays on. There is no warning light on my dash.

- Biggar, 00, USA

Jan 272008

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

I have a 2004 Dodge Ram with the 5.7 hemi motor. The engine stalls and dies for no reason when I am slowing down and preparing to turn.

- Chatham, IL, USA

Nov 272007

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500. While driving 15 mph, the vehicle would stall when turning or while stopped. The power steering would fail and no warning lights were present. The failure only occurred in cold weather. The dealer inspected the vehicle and found no failures. The purchase date was unknown. The current mileage was 26,250 and failure mileage was approximately 25,500.

- Schenectady, NY, USA

Dec 312007

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L hemi V-8, and everytime I turn my truck wheel my truck ends up stalling. It stalls and idles down for no reason.

- Leominster, MA, USA

Jul 092007

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500. The vehicle stalled when it was completely stopped on three occasions. On four occasions, while driving between 10-40 mph, the vehicle stalled again. The dealer stated twice that nothing was wrong with the vehicle and could not determine the cause of failure. The current mileage was 72,000 and failure mileage was 40,000.

- Catskill, NY, USA

Feb 122007

Ram 1500 8-cyl

I own a 2004 Dodge 1500 quad cab. At about 35,000 miles when I came to a stop my truck would just die. There would be no check engine lights or anything to make you think something was wrong. I took it and had a diagnostic ran on it there would never be any code. To this date my truck is still doing the same thing. I have searched the web and found that I am not alone. Dodge knows that this problem exists. I have called to be told that they would have to have a diagnosis before they would fix the problem. That is impossible since no code will show up. Please help. This is a very dangerous situation.

- Livingston, TX, USA

Feb 072007

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

Engine died twice in 2 1/2 years total loss of steering a 240 lbs man can not turn the wheel after engine dies brakes work fine just no steering.

- Hope, IN, USA

Jan 092007

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Driving the vehicle and notice performance issues, strange sounds and stalling, oil pressure gauge fell out, and was concerned for my safety. Pulled over and had to drive real slow with flashers to get home. Inspectors have told me that the engine had a cooling failure that caused the oil to sludge.

- Victoria, TX, USA

Dec 152006

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

2004, Dodge Ram 1500, 5.7L. Truck will sometimes stall while slowing for a stop or turn. Had the tsb 18-013-05A done by the dealer and the problem still exists. This is a dangerous problem especially into turns because the vehicle loses its power steering.

- South River, NJ, USA

Dec 082006

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Vehicle engine stalls randomly. No warning, no warning lights. Vehicle driving 10-15 mph, engine stops. Will start up immediately when ignition turned off then on.

- Schertz, TX, USA

Sep 142006

Ram 1500 8-cyl

: the contact stated the vehicle stalled without warning while idling and while traveling various speeds. The vehicle restarted soon after stalling. The vehicle had to be towed to a dealership who determined the problem could not be duplicated.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 152006

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Before the occurrences, my 5.7L Ram 1500 would sputter on idle and when first put into gear, and the check engine light would come on for about 25 miles and then go back off. When the code was checked for the light, the forward passenger-side oxygen sensor was showing voltage high. I replaced the sensor, cleared the codes and everything was fine for a while. The first event happened when I was making a left turn on a small road-when I turned, the truck died. I didn't notice that the truck had died until I felt the power steering go out, and then I realized I was stuck in the middle of the road. I then had to crank the engine 5 or 6 times before it started again, and, when it did, the check engine light was back on. The same problem happened 2 more times that day. When taken to the dealer, an engine diagnostic was run, and the same code was showing up. The mechanics put about 45 miles on it trying to duplicate the problem, but were unable to. The problem stopped for about 2 weeks, and then it started sputtering again. When taken again to the dealer, 4 cylinders were showing a mis-fire, and the same oxygen sensor was showing voltage high. The mechanic informed me that the cylinders were mis-firing due to bad spark plugs (which were not due for service yet). I have changed the spark plugs, and my truck has died twice since then. This has become more than frustrating because I bought the truck used with 39,000 miles (roughly) on it. The mechanic charged me for my last visit because different codes showed up, so it was a different problem-even though the truck was in the shop for the same conditions. If some actions aren't taken, I am ready to file for lemon laws.

- Cabot, AR, USA

Feb 282006

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

I bought my truck used approximately Dec 1, 2005 with 49,500 km on the odometer. It is a 2004 Dodge quad cab 1500 with a 5.7L hemi engine. Approximately 3 weeks ago the engine stopped. I was driving along a residential street at between 20 and 30 km/hr. My foot was barely on the accelerator and the engine stopped. There was no warning (I.e. no hesitation, stumbling or mis-fire). No dash lights came on. I pulled over, put it in park and the engine started up right away with no problems afterward. It was approximately 真10 or 真12C temperature outside and had gone to 真20C overnight. I had a full tank of gas and my throttle body had been serviced in the previous 2 weeks. The engine was reasonably warm, but I had only been driving for approximately 5 minutes at low speeds. Odometer was about 56,000km. The truck was into Chrysler service on Feb 24 and I mentioned that the engine stopped to the service manager. I asked if he had heard of anyone else complaining of this problem. He said he had never heard of any complaints. Today (Feb 28, 2006), the engine stopped again. The temperature outside was approximately 真10C and had gone to about 真13 or 真15C overnight. Same symptoms. I had driven for about 5 minutes, light accelerator, speed of about 20 to 30 km/hr and was in heavy traffic. I put it in neutral and the engine started right up without any problems. No dash lights came on. Odometer is about 59,000 km.

- Toronto, 00, USA

Aug 242005

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 with a hemi it has a stalling and idle drop problem. I have almost hit other car due to the engine stalling loss of steering and brakes. I have taken my truck in had the upgrade done stalling was less now only twice but idle drops to 300 RPM and bounces around truck shakes like its going to stall then smoothes out and rpms go back to 1100 or so. Dealer just keeps telling me they are working direct with Chrysler Corp on this and they will keep in touch. They have yet to call me I call them once a week to see what is going on and get the same story the are working on it...

- Portland , OR, USA

May 202005

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

Turning on off ramp about 30 mph. Truck stopped running. Shifted out of drive started motor again.

- Glastonbury, CT, USA

Jul 062005

Ram 1500 8-cyl

I own a 2004 Dodge Ram with the 5.7 hemi engine. The engine in my truck has stalled on numerous occasions when slowing down and going into a turn. Once on the freeway at 65 mph! this happens most when turning on city streets or pulling into a parking lot. The dealer has flashed the PCM 3 times and it still has the problem. The last time it was in for this problem the dealer screwed with the timing, fuel air mixture and idle all in poor attempt to keep it from stalling. The results are poorer fuel mileage, occasional black smoke from exhaust, stalls at idle, the engine stumbles and soot build-up in the exhaust pipes. Oh, it stills stalls while turning sometimes. The dealer and the regional Dodge rep are both dragging their feet. The truck is unsafe to drive. It has 20" tires and wheels(factory)which make it even harder to steer when the engine dies and you also lose the power brakes too. Real waker upper.

- Federal Way, WA, USA

Mar 252005

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

The consumer stated that the vehicle stalled unexpectedly. This happened while sitting still and just recently while driving at a speed of 15 mph. There was no prior warning before stalling, and no dashboard lights came on to indicate a problem. No lights on the dashboard came on after stalling. The vehicle will immediately start right back up. This happened for six months at least. The idle was jumping. The consumer thought that the idling and stalling problems were related. The vehicle had idle problems since January 21, 2004. The vehicle had been to the dealership three times, and was on the way back to the dealership. The dealership could not find any problem with the truck because it was intermittent. The manufacturer was contacted, and referred the customer back to the dealership. Also, the manufacturer told the consumer that this problem belonged to the dealer. (11/08/05)

- Vale, NC, USA