2004 Dodge Ram 1500 miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Dodge Ram 1500:

2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 212016

Ram 1500

Rear axle assembly 2004 Dodge Ram when I looked up the issue it showed recalls my vehical was included but I haven't recived anything. The fluid is leaking beacuse it gets to hot and errodes parts causing the leaks. I have had this documented by a auto shop and replaced the seals and other rear axle things and it continues to be an issue. 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 western New York

- Jamestown, NY, USA

Aug 222016

Ram 1500

The door lock on the driver's side remains in the locked position. It cannot be opened from the outside using the key fob or the key, it also cannot be opened from the inside by pulling up on the lock plunger. It can only be opened from the inside using the handle.

- Oracle, AZ, USA

Jul 192016

Ram 1500

Odometer discrepancy purchased a vehicle from a sidelot in February 2016 went to trade vehicle in July 2016 and found out at the GM dealer that the odometer was replaced in 2014. Mileage was 134,000 in 2014 and then it dropped down to 116,000 after that

- Niles, OH, USA

Jun 202016

Ram 1500

While driving home from work, my Dodge Ram truck rear axle locked up and threw the driveshaft out onto the road. Luckily no one was behind me. When I looked under the truck, there was transmission fluid everywhere. That's when I noticed the transfer case was cracked in half. I was left out in the middle of catfish lake road. Had to call family to come get me and called the tow truck company to have the truck towed back to the house. This incident happened on June 20, 2016 at approximately 08:00pm. I was on my way home from work. My truck could have flipped if I had not been able to keep it under control because the rear axle completely locked up. This could have resulted in a fatality.

- Cape Carteret, NC, USA

Apr 032015

Ram 1500

The dash modual that controls the interior lights, dash lights, and interior signals no longer works. The guages work and the signals work but there are no lights. This poses a safety issue because you cannot see your speed, oil, temp, and battery guages. Im not sure when iy went bad, I got into my truck one night and none of my interior lights worked.

- Lexington, VA, USA

Dec 282015

Ram 1500

Driver's door lock stuck on locked. Can be manually opened from the inside but will not unlock with keyless or keyed entry.

- Oregon City, OR, USA

Apr 082015

Ram 1500

Last spring, April 2015, I noticed that my defroster was not operating properly. The air blows out of the a.C. vents, but not the top dashboard vents. I went online to see: 1. how widespread the problem was (very common in older vehicles; I bought my truck new in 2004 from a dealer that is now out of business) 2. what the reaction from Dodge was ( $1.500.00 to repair, even though they must do an airbag recall repair in the same area) 3. how expensive it would be to have a professional repair job done ( est. $1,200 - $1,500) 4. how expensive/difficult it would be to attempt to repair myself (uniformly inexpensive parts are available in metal for around $50, not the cheap Dodge plastic) ( do - it - yourself instructions are complex, counter-intuitive, time consuming...8 hours or more, and require special tools as well as physical dexterity) I am stuck having to find $1,500 for a repair, or drive in the fog this winter with no defrost. All because of a $1.500.00 repair bill for a $50 part.

- Pahokee, FL, USA

Aug 162015

Ram 1500

My family and I was driving down the road. (we had just had the truck serviced about 4 days prior at our local dealership.) all the sudden the truck makes this sound. I slowed down, rolled my window down trying to figure out if it was my vehicle or not. Very faint at first and increased with a loud boom. I get out to find my drive shaft on the ground. And the pinion nut nowhere to be seen. Gone. Luckily we were on a country road and my family is safe.

- Henderson, KY, USA

Aug 012013

Ram 1500

The dashboard in these vehicles begins to crack over time due to defective plastic material. This is very unsafe due to the fact it can crack while you are driving and pieces of the plastic can shoot into the cab and injure any passengers. Doge needs to take action on this even though some models are older versions

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jun 012014

Ram 1500

Dash is cracking and starting to fall apart

- Salisbury Mills, NY, USA

Apr 102015

Ram 1500

Popping and grinding in rear end popping in the cv axle front tires leaning in and wearing on inside with new tires and front end alignment have added new calipers rotors brakes 2 new cv axles and the problem still not fixed

- Oneonta, AL, USA

Jun 222015

Ram 1500

I recieved the safety recall notice sometime in the month of June...having waited what seemed to be more than a reasonable amount of time for the unavailable parts to come in...I decided to just stop by the dealership on hwy 41 in henderson. July 7th 2014. Sometime between 1pm and 2pm. The gentleman expressed to me everything was on back order, that it was not likely to occur and he hasnt seen a truck needing this recal. He seemed unconcerned about my issue. He didnt ask my name. My number or acknowledge my letter. He said he was sure my number was in his data base and he would call when parts came in. This is our family vehicle that we drive on the regular!! having not purchased the vehicle 2 years ago if that from my brother in law...I doubt I am in his system!

- Henderson, KY, USA

Jun 052015

Ram 1500

Rear axle locked up breaking off drive shaft. 5 min early it would have been a disaster.

- Rosville , CA, USA

Jul 242014

Ram 1500

Open driver side door, I take the handle above the door to get in the truck seat, the handle came off, I went to a garage in my town to get it fitted they had to order a new one. It took about a week to get a new one, they put it on everything was ok. But now I am having trouble with it again, is there a call back on this handle? I am not having trouble with the passenger side, I think because the driver side is used more. Thank you, jim cooke

- Stewartstown, PA, USA

Dec 292014

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

Just like everyone else who owns a Dodge, I went to fuel up the truck and it went all over the ground rather than in the tank...took it to the dealer...check valve bad...need new tank....never buy Dodge again..

- Levittown, PA, USA

Apr 072014

Ram 1500 8-cyl

I had the truck off, in park and E-brake engaged. A friend of mine was watching my child while I was pulled away and she had let him play with steering wheel (he loves playing with steering wheels). All of a sudden I hear the sitter screaming and turn around and saw my truck rolling down the inclined driveway with my toddler still in drivers seat and door open. I did what any sane mother would and tried to run to jump in and hit brake but ended up being dragged by the truck after it hit a pothole before crossing into a major road. When the truck finally came to a rest after crashing into a large fence with trees behind it, I managed to get my child out of truck and noticed the E-brake was still engaged. The truck has not been taken to a shop yet but will be soon. This is the only incidence of this malfunction with my truck that I know of and ive had it since 2009. However, I have previously had brake system issues where my brake lines popped off while I was driving down the highway. This really needs to be checked out. I now have a cervical spine injury, sprained wrist, sprained ankle, severe road burn where I was dragged, and multiple bruises, knots and scrapes. We were just lucky it happened after 5 O clock traffic had cleared out. There is a police report filed and my doctors have told me I need to look into getting an attorney.

- Ruston, LA, USA

Mar 312010

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Dash is cracking!!.I took to the dealer. Dealer said plastic is not covered in the warranty.

- Belton, TX, USA

Jul 052010

Ram 1500

Dash board is cracking just like all the other Dodge trucks of this same time frame. It has many sharp edges that have the potential to do harm to somebody. I don't understand, there are countless complaints of this on every forum and complaint site. There was also a news broadcast about, and has anybody tried to resolve this problem? the only response you get is "get a dash cover". no, I don't want something to cover-up the crack I want it fixed. Sure, I can buy a new one, but it will just do it again in a couple of years. They need to produce a better dash, made of better material, and show some kind ownership of the product they produce.

- Hickam Afb, HI, USA

Aug 122010

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact received a recall notice associated with two different voluntary recalls issued by the manufacturer. The recall reference numbers were E17 and H46. The safety defect components were unknown. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for the recall remedy repair; however, the technician refused to repair the vehicle after an appointment was previously scheduled. The dealer was unable to provide a date when the vehicle could be repaired. The manufacturer was notified and would not provide further assistance. The current mileage was approximately 46,000. There was no failure mileage. The VIN was unavailable.

- Buena Vista, CO, USA

May 012010

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

Vehicle is stalling and the engine dies while slowing, turning, and stopping. It now occurrs several times a week. It has been very dangerous on occasion such as turning across traffic and approaching red lights and stop signs.

- Ringgold, GA, USA