2004 Dodge Ram 1500 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Dodge Ram 1500:

2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Oct 202011

Ram 1500

Steering vibrations or shudders when maneuvering at low speeds, making turns etc. Not consistently but intermittently seems to get worse with time. Seems to only do it when in motion and not when at a stand still and turning wheels.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Nov 012013

Ram 1500

Upper and lower ball joints on front suspension have deteriorated to the point that they must be replaced for concerns of safety. This is very low mileage for ball joints to fail. And since my 2wd truck has unitized ball joints (part of upper control arm, which also has to be replaced), they are very expensive.

- Romulus, MI, USA

Oct 222013

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the driver heard a loud pop from the vehicle and experienced a power steering assist failure. The vehicle veered off road and rolled into a field. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence and had not been inspected or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the incident. The approximate failure mileage was 175000.

- Murfreesboro, TN, USA

Sep 132007

Ram 1500 8-cyl

After filling gas tank full, engine dies when braking and turning a corner (losing steering) and coming to a stop. Starts back up fine, but stalls again on next low speed braking or turning a corner. Very similar to other accounts that I have read. I've had new plugs and O2 sensors costing mucho for zero result. When this occurs slowing down to make a slow turn, I have to throw it up to neutral to restart. Once I threw it in park going slowly, but it was dangerous to screech to a halt with a car behind me almost rear ended me. I've been told the same crap by dealers about this and I know they are playing dumb. The only remedy that I use for this is similar to others which is just don't fill it all the way up unless you are getting right out on the highway to run those speeds and not be stopping. I can't let others drive my truck unless I make sure that the tank is below three quarters of a tank. I can't believe that there's not a quick and dirty fix for this. Seems like you should disable emissions devices in the interest of safety.

- Waxahachie, TX, USA

Jul 052013

Ram 1500

Hub assembly failed and brakes gave out which allowed vehicle which resulted in crashing into a tree.

- Shreveport , LA, USA

May 082013

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that while replacing all of the tires on the vehicle, the mechanic found deterioration on the front and rear lower and upper ball joints, as well as the tie rod. The vehicle was taken for inspection to a private mechanic, who confirmed the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 33,000.

- North Fort Myers , FL, USA

Oct 172012

Ram 1500 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that power steering fluid leaked onto the rack and pinion. As a result, the steering wheel would become very hard to control when the failure occurred. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer where it was confirmed that the rack and pinion was leaking. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 130,000 and the current mileage was 154,094.

- Windchester , CA, USA

Nov 302012

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Noticed fluid on the ground under truck checked fluid ;added fluid; had system checked at local repair shop decided to keep adding fluid can not afford to have repair done at this time; the clamps and hoses seem to be loose but was also told about some "O" rings in the lines.

- Woodhaven, MI, USA

Feb 252013

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Vehicle stalls when slowing down for a stop sign, traffic or red light or when turning.

- West Mifflin, PA, USA

Jan 042013

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that an abnormal pop was heard as the front windshield sealant failed, causing the front windshield to detach from the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who referred the contact to a glass specialist. The vehicle was taken to the glass specialist who inspected the windshield and advised that the urethane sealant was not sticking to the glass. The entire windshield was replaced by the contact. The manufacturer was notified of the issue who stated that they would return his call within 24 hours. The failure mileage was 85,500..... updated 02-20-13 the consumer stated the steering column became loose and needed to be replaced. As well as the gear assembly, steering rack, gear shaft, fluid. The vehicle needed a front end alignment. Updated 02/25/2013

- Cincinnatti, OH, USA

Dec 012011

Ram 1500

2004 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L hemi will stop running while driving. The engine completely shuts off while the vehicle is driving and the steering locks up. I have had several close calls and am currently seeking help in this matter. This is an extremely dangerous problem. I've taken it to three mechanics who have replaced all the oxygen sensors, the mass air flow sensor, throttle body, egr valve, air intake filter and the crank shaft sensor. There seems to be no end to this and everyone is just shooting in the dark. The dealerships do not get a code when they hook up to the vehicle. I am in fear of my safety. I have found several other people on the internet with the same problem.

- Lancaster, NY, USA

Oct 182012

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

Began to slow down for a traffic light and my truck stalled while moving almost causing me to rear end the person ahead of me since I lost all control of my brakes and power steering. From what I'm reading this had happened to many people with the same year, make and model vehicle without any type of recall and its too dangerous of a situation.

- Harper Woods, MI, USA

Feb 292012

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that the steering wheel seized without warning while making a turn. The failure was experienced several times. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 99,000.

- Midland , TX, USA

Dec 272011

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge 1500. While driving approximately 40 mph, the steering wheel seized and became difficult to maneuver. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing where the technicians stated there was contamination in the power steering system and the steering system would have to be flushed. The technician also stated that the rack and pinion and the fuel pump would have to be replaced. The failure continued after the repair and caused the driver of the vehicle to be involved in a crash due to the steering wheel seizing abnormally. The police were called to the scene and a report was filed. Three passengers sustained bruising and one passenger sustained a shoulder injury. The vehicle was destroyed and was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 122,450.

- Huron, TN, USA

Oct 082010

Ram 1500

Steering rack leaks severly.

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Jan 032011

Ram 1500 8-cyl

2004 Dodge Ram 1500 - power steering hoses, clamps and piping: I noticed the power steering pump was making a loud noise and when I checked the fluid level, the pump was dry. Further investigation reveled a large puddle of power steering fluid on my garage floor. Fortunately I wasn't driving the truck when this happened. The leak came from the area where the high and low pressure lines connect to the steering rack. Inquires on the web led me to this site, and proved that this is definitely not an isolated incident. The loss of power steering on a vehicle this size, especially if towing a large load, could be, and probably would be very dangerous. Dodge should take into account all of the incidents pertaining to this, and issue a recall for the repair before someone is not able to write a complaint like this..

- Wetumpka, AL, USA

Sep 122010

Ram 1500

2004 Dodge Ram 1500 slt hemi rack blowing seals this is going to kill someone 3 in 15000 miles I hope my wife is not driving with my son it is impossible to steer when this happens............ this problem is well know why is it not fixed its also very expensive.

- Richwood, OH, USA

Jul 102010

Ram 1500 4WD

I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 regular cab pickup w/ 20" wheels & oem Goodyear Wrangler hp tiers 5.7 hemi. Vehicle is 100% stock and unmodified and maintained meticulously. At random intervals on the highway between 60 & 65 mph. The vehicle will abruptly develop a massive shaking sensation. Violent enough to make it feel like it may loose control or have a flat tire. Then if you slow down the truck ride smoothes as glass and will be fine till it starts to build again, or a bump sets it off. This problem is well known throwout the internet and commonly called "death wobble". this condition seems to affect primarily Ram 1500-2500 from 2003-2008.

- Sover, MA, USA

Jul 032010

Ram 1500

I was traveling 70mph on interstate 70west and my front passenger side tire rim and axle came off my 2004 Dodge 1500 quad cab pick up there is only 80 plus thousand miles. It tore up my front fender and door. I did not hit anything in the road. There was no warning of a problem, except that my cruise control kick off and would not reset. Than my brake warning and ABS warming lights came on about 2 mins later my steering started to shimmy and than wheel assemble came off. I was lucky the vehicle did not grab and flip. I was able to get to side of road safely.

- Lafayette, IN, USA

Mar 072010

Ram 1500 6-cyl

The power steering in my 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 locked up while switching lanes cause my vehicle to cross the road strike a electric pole then coming to a rest. The right side lower arm ball joint was found in the roadway.

- Chanute, KS, USA