2005 Dodge Ram 1500 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Dodge Ram 1500:

2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Nov 072014

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

Driver door won't unlock with key.

- Troy, NY, USA

Dec 302014

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

I lost my parking lights (tail lights) this morning before I went to work at 3;30 a.M. when I got off work I began my search for solutions how to repair this problem. My discovery was kind of disturbing. It turns out that there are a lot of other owners of the same vehicle that are going through this problem. It has something to do with the the fuse box inside, there is a faulty wire that causes this and the only solution is to replace the whole thing. Makes me kind of wonder what other problems are wrong inside the fuse box.I feel that Chrysler should recall this part and replace it. Do we have to wait for an accident to happen before something is done about it? I read on the forums that this part is on back order because of this problem this in itself should be a red flag. Not sure what to do about this. I will order this part if I must but with the large amount of others having the same problem maybe Dodge should pick up the bill. Thanks for reading I hope there is a solution.

- Arvada, CO, USA

Oct 012014

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500. While driving various speeds, the vehicle suddenly shut off. After restarting the engine, the vehicle operated as normal. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. Also, while driving at an unknown speed, smoke was seen emitting from the rear driver side wheel. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the brake caliper malfunctioned. The brake caliper was replaced, but the failure recurred on the rear passenger and front passenger brakes. The manufacturer was not notified. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 32,000. Updated 12/09/14

- Mansfield, OH, USA

Sep 302014

Ram 1500 8-cyl

I purchased my 2005 Dodge Ram used in 2010 with 74,000 miles. Shortly after I purchased it the truck would die when coming to a stop, no power steering, no power brakes. Well I took it to 3 different dealerships to try and get an explanation after I replaced the iac valve and cleaned every piece of the induction system including all sensors and the throttle body. I reset the ECU and started the truck and let it warm-up for 10 minutes before my test drive. This fixed the problem for 2 days then the rough idle started again and it died at the top of the street. I have been dealing with this issue for 3 years now and someone needs to be held accountable I have had 3 different dealerships look into the problem and I have tried to work it out through private mechanics. In my search for a resolution I have a documented expense well over $1937 and I still have to live with the stress of knowing my truck could die causing a serious accident. At this point I am considering selling the truck for lack of an affordable remedy. Upon researching my problem I have found hundreds of similar stories from people having the same issues as I am, please help us resolve this issue and hold the manufacturer responsible for a potentially fatal engineering flaw!

- Olathe, KS, USA

Aug 052014

Ram 1500 8-cyl

On August 5 and 6th the vehicle lost power while I was operating it with my children inside in the middle of traffic. I researched the problem and found that there are many complaints online. I called a dealership and was told that there is soon to be one if not yet. I am very much afraid for my family being that this is the only vehicle I own and is a single parent and need my vehicle. I also called the Chrysler corporate office and was told that there is nothing that they can do for me unless they had more complaints in there database. I mention what the dealership said and what I researched online. I think that this is a very serious complaint and someone need to move quickly.

- Port Gibson, MS, USA

Oct 112006

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Four times in two years driving the Dodge Ram vehicle suddenly died, loosing power steering and breaking. The first time it caused me to run through a stop sign when the vehicle was less than three months old. The second time, I was going slow and straight. The third time I was on a curve and barely maintained control while stopping. The final time in 2007 was on a curve and my vehicle stalled and ran off the road crashing/bumping into a curb. Each time was at speeds less than 30 mph. I was concerned it would occur at higher speeds. I had taken it to the dealer twice and they could not identify a problem. They claimed to have downloaded the black box and reported it did not indicate a stall. After fearing for my daughter that was with me, I immediately traded the vehicle in for a Ford. The dealer's service technicians treated it as though I was imagining the problem. The dealer I traded the vehicle into is both a Dodge and Ford dealer with the same repair staff servicing both lines of vehicles. I reported the problem to the dealer's sales staff when I traded the vehicle in. Did the dealer warn the buyer of the vehicle when they resold it? this dealer is still in business in branson, Missouri.

- Branson, MO, USA

Nov 072012

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Problems with the electrical harness in 2 Dodge Ram pick ups the one we have now, no heat blows..... also we have a sun roof and it leaks water. I know 14 people that have this truck and 12 of them have problems with the heat/blower.

- Glendora, NJ, USA

May 012013

Ram 1500

Driver's side lock stuck in locked position. It can only be opened by using the inside handle on the driver's door. Key will not unlock or open door.

- Brentwood, CA, USA

Sep 262012

Ram 1500

Ventilation no longer will change from top vent to lower vent.

- Flanders, NJ, USA

Apr 292013

Ram 1500

While truck was parked and secured, a fire started in the wire harness above the gas tank. Fire was contained before vehicle became engulfed. Fire department and police department reports made. Insurance company investigated. Determined wire harness overheated and ignited gas vapor leaking from plastic fuel system lines. Due to use of plastic materials, fire spread rapidly, including the top of the fuel tank melting. Truck has been repaired.

- Toms River, NJ, USA

Jun 182013

Ram 1500 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that the vehicle caught on fire while parked. The vehicle was destroyed. After an investigation it was determined that there was faulty wiring under the instrument panel, which caused the fire. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was unavailable. The failure and current mileage was 151,000. Updated 08/20/13

- Carnesville, GA, USA

Mar 012013

Ram 1500

I started to get a rough idle condition on my Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab with the 5.7 hemi motor and auto trans. Now intermittently over the past several month the truck stalls when going from reverse to drive...though not that dangerous an inconvenience. The dangerous part is when I sometimes pull into traffic the truck will start forward as it should then the motor will just die causing loss of brake and steering functions. I am getting no engine codes or check engine light. I have even hooked the truck up to a computer with no codes detected. Recently I went to pull into traffic onto a road that was 35mph and the motor again died. Luckily the driver heading toward my driver side door slammed on their brakes and allowed me to put the truck in neutral restart it and get it out of the other vehicle's lane of travel. The throttle body has been cleaned the spark plugs have been changed with no luck and the problem persists. This is a link to just (1) website of many that I found that shows this is clearly not isolated to my vehicle. www.carcomplaints.com/Dodge/ram_1500/2005/engine/engine_stalls.shtml I cannot even begin to diagnose this problem because it is so sporadic with no engine lights or codes it would probably cost a small fortune for a dealer to diagnose this issue because of the amount of time in between the stall conditions.

- Hammonton, NJ, USA

May 102013

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Drive side lock got stuck in lock position, and it can only be opened by using the inside handle on the driver's door.

- Santa Clara, CA, USA

Mar 162013

Ram 1500 8-cyl

The driver's side door lock actuator failed causing it to be stuck in the "locked" position. Using the key fob and manually turning the key in the door lock had no effect on the mechanism. The only way to open the door was by entering through the passenger side. Upon opening the door from the inside by use of the door handle the handle became stuck in the open position and had to be pushed back to its default setting. The lock makes a very loud "pang" noise now when locking as if metal on metal contact is being made.

- League City, TX, USA

Jan 152012

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Driver door lock stuck in locked position no matter what, can open only from inside, all other door locks work fine, driver side rear window will not roll down from any power control stuck permanently up.

- Overton , NV, USA

Jan 122010

Ram 1500 8-cyl

A very dangerous problem with my 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 pick-up is occurring on a daily basis when I use the turn signal - windshield wiper - high beam " multi-switch". when trying to signal a left turn by pushing down on the "multi-switch" lever(left turn signal flashes two or three times then right turn signal activates uncommanded) if I try to engage the right turn signal some times it won't signal / flash at all. My truck only has 46,000 miles on it, not a good testimate for Dodge. I read in a Dodge repair website / forum that a lot of the same problems are occurring with the Dodge Ram pick-ups and mini vans. (all years) is there a recall or will a recall be considered in the near future?

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Oct 172011

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Truck stalls daily. Only stalls when coming to a stop. Once completely stopped the tachometer jolts up and down, making the truck lurch forward, and will sometimes stall completely. Does not happen while driving, or at low speeds, only at complete stop and in drive. If in neutral this does not happen. This is unsafe to lose control of your truck and at times it lurches forward trying to get the correct RPM. I have seen all over the internet how widespread this problem is and Dodge has done nothing about it. Many times I have seen where this has occurred to people while driving! this is an automatic transmission, everything checks out fine except this, it has to be a computer problem and needs replaced. I see often where people change many parts, sometimes helping but usually not.

- Plainfield, IN, USA

May 242010

Ram 1500

When trying to signal a turn (either way) the signal either goes the opposite of what you want or doesn't work at all. Have been stopped due to non signal on a turn, explained the issue and showed them how it didn't work, then all of sudden works, but is the opposite turn signal....got off without anything but a verbal warning to fix. Also the wipers act up, turn on intermittent and the wipers go fast and then will suddenly stop in mid wipe and won't return to its normal position. They also will not go on intermittent or slow at all, but will go on the fast wiper speed. The instrument panel only lights up on certain clusters since the issues started with the wipers and turn signals. I believe this truly is a safety issue and should be addressed by daimler Chrysler!!!

- Pequot Lakes, MN, USA

Oct 032011

Ram 1500 8-cyl

The turn signal/wiper/lights assembly appears to have failed. When attempting to make a right turn signal, nothing happens. When making a left turn signal, the right signal happens instead. Now, everything has failed. No brights, no turn signals, no wipers. Researching on the internet, especially on the Dodge truck forums, it seems to E quite a common problem. In fact that is where I got the link to this form to fill out.

- Canton, GA, USA

Aug 182011

Ram 1500

When I slow down, and specifically turn the wheel in either direction, my Dodge will randomly stall. The radio will stay on and the only way I know the truck has stalled is because I am not going anywhere. Once I put it in neutral it starts right up and takes off. This is extremely dangerous and has almost caused accidents. Took it to my local Dodge dealership and they have no clue what it could be as they were "unable to duplicate" the problem.

- Clare, MI, USA