2005 Dodge Ram 1500 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Dodge Ram 1500:

2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Sep 302014

Ram 1500 8-cyl

I purchased my 2005 Dodge Ram used in 2010 with 74,000 miles. Shortly after I purchased it the truck would die when coming to a stop, no power steering, no power brakes. Well I took it to 3 different dealerships to try and get an explanation after I replaced the iac valve and cleaned every piece of the induction system including all sensors and the throttle body. I reset the ECU and started the truck and let it warm-up for 10 minutes before my test drive. This fixed the problem for 2 days then the rough idle started again and it died at the top of the street. I have been dealing with this issue for 3 years now and someone needs to be held accountable I have had 3 different dealerships look into the problem and I have tried to work it out through private mechanics. In my search for a resolution I have a documented expense well over $1937 and I still have to live with the stress of knowing my truck could die causing a serious accident. At this point I am considering selling the truck for lack of an affordable remedy. Upon researching my problem I have found hundreds of similar stories from people having the same issues as I am, please help us resolve this issue and hold the manufacturer responsible for a potentially fatal engineering flaw!

- Olathe, KS, USA

Sep 052014

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

Driving down the road and the truck just stalls out lose all power and controlling is very hard to steer.

- Strawberryplains, TN, USA

Mar 062014

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

When I slow down it just stalls out on me. Its always restart.

- Jeffersonville, IN, USA

Jun 122007

Ram 1500 8-cyl

While driving with the air conditioning on when I slowed down to stop behind a stopped vehicle my 05 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab with a V8 stalled out. I had to put the truck into neutral to start it back up & continue going. This has happened so many times while slowing down or stopping that I no longer can keep count. It has also happened when making a turn which caused all loss of power steering & power brakes. So far I have not wrecked when this happens but it scares me or my teenage driver to death. I have reported it several times over several years & nothing is being done. I also know this happens with the 2004 model of Dodge trucks as my nephew own one that I have drove & it happened the only difference in trucks is his 04 has the hemi. And this only happens when the air conditioning is on. I guess someone is going to have to wreck & die before Dodge recalls & fixes the problem. But until then I will keep reporting here & to Dodge.

- Logansport, LA, USA

Jun 012014

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Vehicle stalls at low speed acceleration or stopping. Vehicle will stall upon forward movement, which caused my vehicle to stall in an intersection and nearly hit by another vehicle. Vehicle will also stall while stopping sometimes as well.

- Valparaiso, IN, USA

May 072014

Ram 1500 8-cyl

I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 crew cab with the 4.7 and 4X4. Today while driving with cruise control set at 75 the accelerator stuck and I had to turn the key off to stop the truck. The truck has less than 54,000 miles on it. I don't have floor mats in the truck and once the truck was stopped I checked under the hood and the cable was tightly connected but lose on the throttle body and the same on the gas pedal.

- Midland, TX, USA

Mar 122014

Ram 1500 6-cyl

The engine stating to have a bad miss. Got the truck home an it would not stay running. Got truck to a shop and they check an found that the number 5 valve is bent.

- Vivian, LA, USA

Mar 102008

Ram 1500

My 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 black rumble bee truck was stopped at red light as was fixing to make a left turn the truck stumbled as if stalling and then shot off wide open throttle my foot was not on the throttle, in to oncoming traffic I made the turn and avoided hitting any body and slide in to the parking lot where I rolled the truck in the empty lot. The police came up that watched the wreck and said that's what I get for hot rodding the truck I told them I had not and turned the switch back on with truck in park and it went to wide open throttle. They quickly said it was out of my control and called the wreck a mechanical failure. After a two months fight with insurance company I bought the truck back they had totaled the truck it only has 27000 miles on it. I went to hoover and talked with service and the owner finding out that this had happened in several other Chrysler 300S and other Ram trucks with the 5.7 hemi just at his dealer ships (4). Once every thing got settled I started looking at the truck and found the throttle stuck wide open I released the throttle actuator the throttle snapped closed replaced it with a used one truck idles fine scared to move it but idles fine. What can be done about this if anything.

- Summerville , SC, USA

Jul 302013

Ram 1500 8-cyl

After picking up my truck from my local body shop on the morning of July 28,2013 I drove back to work very pleased how she looked. The truck drove perfectly fine no problems after getting off from work I picked up youngest daughter from dance practice less than a mile away from my job. An hour later I picked my eldest daughter from her job less than three miles from home again the truck drove fine. About one hour later I drove 12 miles to do a plumbing job when outta the blue the oil indicator started acting erratic it would go from the lowest point in the red to a safe level, after several times of this I pulled to a gas station and added two quarts of oil after I added the oil I checked the oil level it was at a safe level. I finished the job checked the oil level before leaving the customer home it was still ok. I got on the turnpike drove about three miles when the indicator dropped to the red line and the engine just died. I started the engine but got an god awful sound from under the hood I shut the engine off and had the truck towed home. I hired a mechanic to check the truck for me and was informed that I would need to replace the engine in my truck. Is there a recall on the oil pump or that system?

- Miami, FL, USA

Apr 162009

Ram 1500 8-cyl

My 2005 Dodge Ram has been stalling on the freeway when slowing down in traffic and when coming to stops at intersections. It has been doing this for years. I have had engine lights come on and had mechanics work on it. This problem continues and is very scary. I can not trust to take it on long trips.after goggling on the internet I found that most Dodge have this problem. I will use social media to let my family and friends know that Dodge is not the truck to buy. I can not believe they are not recalling this issue in their trucks some thing needs to be done to correct this issue. Starter will go out if this continues also putting in neutral will not do the transmission any good, it feels like it is messing up now.

- Jonestown, TX, USA

Jul 122013

Ram 1500

Was at a complete stop waiting to turn onto my road and when I went to step on the gas nothing, no lights or sound indicating that it had stalled. Read online of the samething happening to others while driving even at slow speeds etc. And it would stall losing power steering and brakes. This needs to be addressed before someone gets hurt or killed. I refuse to drive my truck until I can get something done about it. Dangerous.

- Canaan, NH, USA

Jul 092013

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Engine has stalled intermittently in the past, usually at low speeds (I.e. when pulling out of driveway or street or shifting from drive to reverse when parking. Multiple times, there was no warning and vehicle just cut off in middle of road, with no power steering or brakes. Luckily no accident, but this seems like it could be a dangerous situation. I never thought anything of this before because it happened so infrequently and vehicle always restarted. This morning the vehicle stalled while standing in line at gas station (after filling tank), and then multiple times after that. This is new since in the past, it would stall once and be fine. This seems to be a degradation of something, but no engine lights are on, so no codes to check. The crankshaft position sensors was replaced recently after and engine light came on and vehicle would not start. The sensor replacement has fixed that problem and this seems unrelated to the stalling issue.

- Basking Ridge, NJ, USA

May 222013

Ram 1500

The contact owns 2005 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled without warning and crashed into the proceeding vehicle. The failure was experienced numerous times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing but was unable to locate a failure code. The dealer replaced the air conditioning compressor; however, the failure was not corrected. The contact also took the vehicle to an independent mechanic where the idle positioning air sensor was replaced twice. The mat sensor, throttle position sensor, and the camshaft sensor was also replaced; however, the failure was not corrected and the vehicle continued to stall. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileage was 120,000.

- Clarksville , TN, USA

Mar 012013

Ram 1500

I started to get a rough idle condition on my Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab with the 5.7 hemi motor and auto trans. Now intermittently over the past several month the truck stalls when going from reverse to drive...though not that dangerous an inconvenience. The dangerous part is when I sometimes pull into traffic the truck will start forward as it should then the motor will just die causing loss of brake and steering functions. I am getting no engine codes or check engine light. I have even hooked the truck up to a computer with no codes detected. Recently I went to pull into traffic onto a road that was 35mph and the motor again died. Luckily the driver heading toward my driver side door slammed on their brakes and allowed me to put the truck in neutral restart it and get it out of the other vehicle's lane of travel. The throttle body has been cleaned the spark plugs have been changed with no luck and the problem persists. This is a link to just (1) website of many that I found that shows this is clearly not isolated to my vehicle. www.carcomplaints.com/Dodge/ram_1500/2005/engine/engine_stalls.shtml I cannot even begin to diagnose this problem because it is so sporadic with no engine lights or codes it would probably cost a small fortune for a dealer to diagnose this issue because of the amount of time in between the stall conditions.

- Hammonton, NJ, USA

Jun 082013

Ram 1500 8-cyl

I was pulling away from a drive up window and the truck died. Lost power steering and brakes. This is not the first time this has happened and luckily I have not been driving fast when it has happened.

- Boise, ID, USA

Feb 132013

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that while driving approximately 20 mph, the engine stalled without warning. Upon restarting, the vehicle resumed normally. The failure recurred fifteen times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Fort Benning , GA, USA

Mar 102013

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Truck stalled as I was turning into a driveway. This resulted in loss of steering control. There were no indicators on the dash that the engine had stalled. In doing an internet search, this seems like a common problem with Dodge pickups of this vintage.

- Chaska, MN, USA

Feb 202012

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that while stopped at a traffic light, the vehicle stalled without warning. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnosis but the failure could not be replicated however, thirteen electrical updates were made to the vehicle in an attempt to remedy the failure. The failure recurred. The vehicle was not further repaired. The failure and current mileage was 56,000.

- Folsom, CA, USA

Jan 072013

Ram 1500

Over the last few days the vehicle idle has been extremely erratic. Today pulling up to a stop sign at a slight curve, the vehicle/engine just shut off. I was able to restart it but it was a very dangerous situation as my power brakes and power steering both shut off unexpectedly and could have caused a major accident if there had been other cars coming.

- Racine, WI, USA

Nov 272012

Ram 1500 8-cyl

While taking low speed, tight turns with my 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 truck the engine stalls out. I'm pretty sure this issue is the same as the NHTSA action number:EA05018. This has happen several times within the last two month. The local Dodge dealer "cleaned" the intake manifold, (charged me $89) but it is still happening.

- Winona, MN, USA