8.0

2. replace erg valve and clean carbon buildup on connecting parts (13 reports)
  3. replaced throttle body and position sensor (3 reports)
  4. cleaned throttle body (2 reports)
  5. change transmission filters (1 reports)
  6. don't fill the gas tank (1 reports)
2005 Dodge Ram 1500 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Dodge Ram 1500:

2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Aug 292013

Ram 1500 Hemi 5.7L

I own a 2005 dodge ram hemi. for awhile now its been acting up. first i had to replace the ignition switch. i thought that was the problem. it helped for awhile but i noticed now that it didn't. i have been driving down the highway at 60 miles an hour and the truck will just stall out. i barely have enough strength to get it off the road. It won't start right away like it has flooded out or something. after a few tries its starts up and its fine..It's very scary and my mechanic has no clue what is going on. I hate not being able to go places in case it stalls on the way there or home late at night. and with my grandchild in vehicle, its doubly scarey. If anyone knows what is going on please contact me . Engine light has come back on after a two week break. but i notice something that it doesn't start this till the gas gauge is down to a 1/4 tank.

- , Potosi, MO, USA

Jun 012014

Ram 1500 1500 5.7L Hemi V8

So I bought my 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 a few months back and as of recent, there seems to be a stalling issue. The truck will start and idle just fine, however, when I back out of my driveway or parking spot and begin to move forward and sometimes when I come up to a stop sign, the truck will stall. I then have to put the truck in neutral and start it before moving forward.

I called my local Dodge dealer and informed them of the technical service bulletin for this truck for a stalling issue calling for a software update, and they told me that this only applies to trucks built prior to 2/21/2005, and unfortunately mine was built in July of that year. None the less mine still has this problem. I then contacted Dodge corporate office and all that they would say is that there is no recall for this vehicle and that all they will do is log my complaint.

This is a serious safety issue because when the truck stalls, I lose steering. So, I began thinking of all of the others on this site that are having the same issue, so I contacted my local media investigative team for a major news channel in Chicago thinking that maybe with enough media coverage, Dodge will just fix the problem and make it go away. I hope that my persistence helps some of you!

Update from Jun 10, 2014: So today I tested the IAT sensor and the MAP sensor and neither of them are the problem. I am fearing that it is the Throttle Position Sensor which sucks because it is integrated into the throttle body and is all one piece. The throttle body is $168 from the dealer only.

Update from Jun 16, 2014: PROBLEM SOLVED!!! So I finally got fed up with trying to fix this issue on my own and took it to a local mechanic that I trust, and it turns out that the issue was a short in the wiring for a wheel speed sensor. The way I understood what the mechanic said is that when the wire shorted, it sent a signal to an air sensor telling the computer that the vehicle was not moving and did not need the air to do so, so it cut the air supply to the vehicle causing it to stall and sometimes for the RPMs to surge. For the diagnostic time and the labor, the total came to $120. I hope that this helps some of you. Dodge still will not admit that there is a problem with these trucks and I recommend to those of you that are having these dangerous safety issues to contact your local media investigative teams as well as your state attorney generals office. Explain to the Attorney General that this is a safety issue and Dodge is ignoring the complaints and you need help. That is what I did and they are getting involved. My truck is fixed, but maybe we can band together and make them do something before someone loses their life due to this defect, if we are not too late already.

- , Valparaiso, IN, USA

Jan 262014

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

My 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 stalls at slow speeds with no light

- , Muncie, IN, USA

Jun 202006

Ram 1500 Daytona Edition 5.7L Hemi

Hey everyone, just like everyone else I was ready to drive my truck off a cliff. It would stall randomly, at first no warning, first start up of the day, then return to normal. This was about one year after I purchased it back in 06. As time passed I started to get the random messed up rpm idle, usually in the morning or first start of the day, then on cold or rainy days it would act funny most of the day. Once again, no lights no warning. Then months would pass with no issues. i got so use to driving and checking my rpm gauge every 5 seconds, ready to give it some throttle if it dipped below 500 rpms and heading down to stall...

I can't tell you how many times I probably appeared to look like a drunk driver running over curbs turning corners when it would stall, WITHOUT warning. I took my truck in 3 different times and not one mechanic could find a problem. I love it too because they all look at you like your crazy or stupid and know nothing about vehicles, Well guess what, I design and build weld fixtures to ASSEMBLE the big threes vehicles, so yes I know how they're made.

Long story short if you have a 5.7 Hemi Ram and it stalls randomly and has the messed up rpm fluctuations, or hesitation problems, swap the throttle body first. It's $164 at the dealer and 4 bolts hold it on, very easy job and it returned my truck to normal. I also replaced my EGR and PCV, cheap and easy to replace also, and poof, magic, no more dips in the rpm in the morning or when I turn corners, most of all NO MORE STALLING!! : )

I truly hope this helps everyone. I was so frustrated and nervous to drive my truck for the last 8 damn years

- , sterling heights, MI, USA

Jul 122013

Ram 1500 5.7L V8 Hemi

Well I just got this truck On Wed second hand trade in but ran it from Tilton NH to Canaan NH then the next day to Loudon NH home no issues. then the next day drove to work still nothing ran like a top, then on my way home i came to a stop to turn onto my road and went to step on the gas NOTHING....I was pissed didnt hear or see any lights or warrnings that it had stalled....I turned the switch off then turned it back on and started up like nothing was wrong. So i drove home parked it and decided to look online to see if there was anything on this problem. then BOOM oh yeah I found this site and a lot of people have had the same issue...SO I'm looking on any feed back from people that have had done the ERG Valve rout and how that has been going cus I'll be damned if I go to a dealership or anything just to get the screws put to me. Anyways thank you for listening to me rant and rave haha...

Connie

- , Canaan, NH, USA

Jul 012013

Ram 1500 LST 4.7L V8

POS DODGE RAM!!! I COULD NOT FIND THE SECTION FOR "LOSS OF ACCELERATION" HOWEVER STALLING IS WHERE THE PROBLEMS START WITH THIS TRUCK!!!!!

Stalling in parking lots, or at slow speeds is common, the EGR valve was replaced and it fixed the problem for a while. Then the issues started with the tachometer not reading correctly. Reading at 0KM when at an idle, and jumping back and forth while driving... then the truck gets stuck in 3rd gear out of nowhere and can not figure out how to f*cking shift. SO THEN WHAT ELSE? THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT DECIDES TO MAKE AN APPEARANCE... and the truck does not want to accelerate like it used to... AAMCO - HERE WE COME! I HATE THIS TRUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They seemed to think it was something with the throttle body, or the catalytic converter... so of course we give them all of our money to check it out - and all that came out of it was a clean throttle body and a "we can't find anything wrong"... so basically we are back to square one just waiting for this POS to act up again - you are not alone ram owners... if the truck was not paid off I would sell it immediately!

- , Belton, TX, USA

Mar 132011

Ram 1500 V8

Dodge ram 1500 is a ram in my butt. it stalls on full tank, half tank and at low speed and the dealership is a joke. I think its about time to call the Today Show see if they can get dodge to man up before someone is killed driving a ram 1500

- , Panama City, FL, USA

Feb 202013

Ram 1500

I bought a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad truck for my husband used a couple months ago and needless to say it started acting up on him a month or so later. I do not want this truck to cause an accident. While TRAVELING AT A LOW SPEED OR COMING TO A STOP THE TRUCKS RPM'S START GOING HAY WIRE AND THE TRUCK STALLS OUT. THE ELECTRICAL IS ALL STILL ON WHEN THIS HAPPENS. This has happened several times on him. I have called the dealership, Dodge, and yes I called the NHTSA. I was informed there was no problem listed for 2005 trucks through Dodge. When I called the NHTSA I asked about the issue and found I believe 8 issues like this. The more the complaints then maybe they will see the issue and finally have a recall on the problem. I just wished I knew what the problem is. I am taking the truck to Dodge today to drop it off and they are going to do a full diagnosis on the truck. If I could I would sit up there and watch everything they do to make sure they cover everything, but I can not. I want this issue resolved. I hope they find it cause this is one worried and frustrated woman.

- , fort benning, GA, USA

Jun 112012

Ram 1500 SLT Hemi

Engine stalling and hesitating. Seemed worse when slowing down, or turning. Check engine light coming on. Dealership reset engine light, not fixed. They couldn't find problem. Took to independant garage. Changed all spark plugs, shortly after, stored for winter. If this continues, will sell, and buy something reliable. Love this truck, but it is dangerous.

- , Thamesville, Ontario, Canada

Oct 252012

Ram 1500 5.7L

I had the same problem with my ram truck stalling just like everybody else for two years one night it started acting up again like always but this time thank GOD it finally set off a code it was the map sensor i change it and had no problem since no matter how fast you come up to a stop light or sign no stall its been about 5mos now and its still running like new i have a 05 ram 1500 and the old map sensor they do not make its been updated so the model number will not match the new one and the new one does not fit unless you break the two little plastic brace where the old one sit at its a dodge dealer part and they should tell you this when i got mine its pops up on the screen to let the customer know i hope this help everybody that's been having this problem.

- , Newport News, VA, USA

Apr 142012

Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi

I've had my Ram for years and never had this issue until recently. Now I see many others are experiencing the same issue. It's happened to me with 1/4 tank of gas or less and just today on a full tank. I feel fortunate that I've got so many miles and just started having this issue but it doesn't change the fact that its an issue that doesn't appear to have any resolution. Crashing when the steering gives out because it stalled isn't resolution

- , Modesto, CA, USA

Jul 022012

Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7L V8 Hemi

I've been doing my online research for more than a couple years now concerning what others are and have experienced with RAM 1500 HEMI stalling. For as much owner documentation as there is , DODGE (dealers) for the most part do not ( or will not , it seems ) acknowledge that there is a problem. I have refused to give away hundreds of dollars to dealers to diagnose and make repairs where there is obviously no guaranteed fix. There are those that have replaced everything imaginable and still have this problem.

So I'm riding around for the past two years with this truck stalling out in traffic without warning. Mine has only done this in hot weather - as soon as winter returns , I'm good again for a few months. It usually happens at very slow speeds ( 30 or less ) and more likely during a slow turn.

Well , today this truck died on 3 separate occasions ( under the conditions as above described ) within the time span of an hour. Maybe I've gotten use to all this happening and I just keep on driving and putting up with it. The up-side is that I can shift back to neutral and restart without problem.

I have read the comments of others that express their fear that this truck poses a safety problem ; men and women alike feeling just a little bit uncomfortable with a vehicle that gives no warning , cuts-off , and in doing so you lose the ability to steer the vehicle. There is no question that a NHTSA investigation is warranted and to result in a recall. It's puzzling that this has not already happened ?

For me , this problem can no longer be casually dealt with. You see , on that last occasion that my truck stalled today , ( at 5 mph while turning a corner ) , my truck was rear-ended by a vehicle that was following. My bumper is only scraped but the other small car took on serious damage.

I have been using STP Fuel Injector Cleaner for a while now as someone thought it had helped their truck to some extent. Cleaning the nozzles can't hurt , right ? Plus it's inexpensive and more satisfying than giving a dealer a few hundred dollars for a repair that was never guaranteed to fix your problem.

I've recently counted scores of people that have had the codes read and more often than not the P040 Code for EGR Valve is stored. This was my code today and I purchased the EGR Valve for $39.99 ( Advance Auto Parts ) .... they also checked the codes for free with a handheld scan tool .... and were very helpful in answering all my questions.

I removed the old valve and installed the new one in about 30 minutes after allowing the engine to cool for a few hours. Four bolts total - two sizes ... you'll need the two sockets , a short extension and a ratchet. I returned to the parts store where they cleared the code. Check engine light is off since and I've driven 25 miles on a 98 degree day with no problem yet.

I'll update this to report whether a fix may be apparent after some more days of driving. Get your codes checked "free" and avoid expensive dealer repairs as no one really knows what this problem is. Be careful out there !!

- , Brownsburg, IN, USA

May 102012

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

I thought I was the only one with this problem...I'm happy to see I'm not..I bought the truck 2 months ago and now it has stalled out twice... the first time I was stuck in rush hour and now this time I was turning into my daughter's school and my truck stalled and the steering wheel locked... I almost hit 2 teachers because of this..the dash lights were still on and the radio also..this is a very dangerous problem that needs to be fixed by the chrysler/dodge... I'm about ready to trade this POS in... Even my mechanic has never heard of this problem..

- , San Antonio, TX, USA

May 082012

Ram 1500 Lariat 5.7L Hemi

Just as the other guys...my engine stalls at stop signs and lights. This the second engine in this truck and it just started this stall sh*t all over again.There does not seem to be a real fix. Call dealership today and YES...THEY HAVE HAD THE ISSUE but were unable to determine why. Ironically I was ask to bring in my truck for diagnostic for $105 whether they find fault or not>

- , Killeen, TX, USA

Mar 012012

Ram 1500 EX CAB 5.7L

truck ran ruff on the freeway, thought the engine was falling out, the check engine light came on ,the truck would stall, had the code read and it said it was the crank shaft sensor the truck will run fine for awhile then it will miss or stall hope this information will help all of you having problems WE SHOULD CONTACT DODGE HEADQUARTER ABOUT THIS

- , Palmdale, CA, USA

Mar 142012

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L Hemi

I noticed that when I was driving the truck... I was slowing down to make a turn and then realized I could not move the steering wheel. The engine had no RPM, no idiot lights, radio was still on. Instantly, due to past defensive driving training, I realized what was up and put the transmission in neutral and started the truck. I regained control of the vehicle and drop on. It happened the same way elsewhere when I was slowing down and same issue occurred with same result. I have read many posts on this issue and heard anything from the EGR valve was recommended to be replaced or the fuel filter/pressure regulator or the fuel pump is the issue possibly. But nothing I ready definitely narrows this down. I have also heard that this has been going on for many years on different year versions. Also I here and have experienced that Dodge/Chrysler refuse to fess up at to what is going on and only tell us they have to diagnose my truck... with looking at the history of this issue fleet wide. This concerns me that all they want is to waist my money and throw their arms up saying "I don't Know" and we are still stuck with the bill.

Does anyone have an idea on this issue?

- , Liverpool, NY, USA

Mar 012012

Ram 1500 4.7L V8

It seems I am having the same difficulties as many others. The first day I owned the truck I had to come to a quick stop at a red light and it died. I bought it with roughly 85k miles. I went ahead and put new plugs, air filter, serviced transmission (with both filters). Thought it seemed strange, but had been fine every sense. This past summer it was starting to idle rough sometime surging with around 105k miles. It had its days, some weeks would be fine.. sometimes it had a full day or two of having issues. Yesterday, my mother in law took it for an hour and said it died sitting in line waiting to pick up her grand daughter. It was fine all day after that. Today, it is HORRIBLE. It seems like 3 out of every 5 stops it is dying. Sometimes putting it in neutral seems to help but that is 50/50 now. I had it die in neutral on me today. There is NO check engine light. So, starting tomorrow, I'm going to do some freeze frame real time data with my new OTC Genysis. I am going to swap one thing at a time until I hopefully get to the bottom of this. With this many complaints... there has to be something. I will update this with the steps I take to diagnose this.

- Matt

- , Seymour, IN, USA

Apr 142011

Ram 1500 Hemi Sport 5.7L

Have 2005 Dodge Ram 1500. Love the truck other than it stalls if I put any gas in it. Will fill truck up and when leave gas station it will die if take corner or come to stop. Almost wrecked the thing multiple times. Have had vapor canister replaced, computer update, egr valve replaced, tune up, injectors repair, and now working on fuel tank. Dodge dealer has no idea whats wrong with it and are guessing at this time. They called the factory and they deny any problem. Truck is now sputtering when at idle or driving down the road on occasion. Funny thing is will even occur several days after fill up. This Truck is going to kill someone and can't believe dodge hasn't recalled this thing yet.

- , Ft Thomas, KY, USA

Jul 092007

Ram 1500 Daytona 5.7L

My 2005 Ram Daytona was stalling out almost every time I came to a stop. When it stalled, the truck seemed like it lurched a little. I did more research on this and found that the torque converter was locking up upon stopping. This locking up was caused by a crack or leak in one on the 2 transmission filters.

I had both filters changed about 20,000 miles ago and haven't had a stall out since. The cost to change both filters was about $300.

BTW... I took this to the dealer several times under warranty and they had no idea what the problem was. They even replaced the torque converter.

- , Brooklyn Center, MN, USA

Sep 132011

Ram 1500 LX 4.7L

have a 2005 dodge ram 1500 for five years know,having problems with engine stalling at stop light's or while slowing down to stop, a real pain in the ass cause there is no control over steering when this happens. afraid going to hit someone or something...

- , Bonair, GA, USA