2. replace erg valve and clean carbon buildup on connecting parts (14 reports)
  3. replaced throttle body and position sensor (3 reports)
  4. cleaned throttle body (2 reports)
  5. change transmission filters (1 reports)
  6. don't fill the gas tank (1 reports)
2005 Dodge Ram 1500 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Dodge Ram 1500:

2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

May 292015

Ram 1500 4.7L

My truck has stalled numerous times while my wife or myself have been driving. Any assistance from me to get this fixed would be greatly appreciated!

- , Manvel, TX, USA

May 062015

Ram 1500 SLT 4.6L-Or 4.7L V8

Apr 032015

Ram 1500 4.7L

Bought the truck in July. It did it a few times after I bought it. The timing chain was making noise, had it replaced in August. Didn't have anymore problems, until now. It stalled in a parking lot and a intersection.

Update from Sep 7, 2015: I was driving in a parking lot today it stalled It Has 155315 miles on it. It has been a while since it done it I did a little looking on here found that NHTSA did have case on it in 2007 #EA05018 they close it I think they need to reopen it do more looking in to it before someone gets hurt.

Update from Sep 7, 2015: September 7 2015 I was driving in a parking lot the stalled no check engine light and with out warning they need to open NHTSA EA05018

- , Parkersburg, WV, USA

Feb 172015

Ram 1500 5.1L Hemi V8

I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500. I have had this truck for almost 6 yrs. Last year, I was turning at an intersection and the truck just stalled with no warning. When this happened, I was stuck with no power steering or brakes in the middle of traffic. My husband and brother pushed it into a parking lot. We waited about 30 minutes and the truck just started back like nothing happened.

Three days later I was driving down the street pulling a trailer and the truck just stalled again. I ran over a curb and parking blocks to get it off street while it was still rolling. It started back up again. I put it in shop there was no code. About 2 months later a check engine light came on. The mechanic changed a sensor, the light went off it came back on about 2 days later. but still doesn't give a code.

Now if I don't keep the fuel tank full. The truck misses and hesitates like its not getting fuel. I am afraid to drive it because I don't know what is wrong or when it is going to die. I am a small women and can't fight the steering and brakes when it stalls. Does anyone know what causes this and what I can do??????

- , Stuttgart, AR, USA

Feb 022015

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L

Okay, great site. Love the info. My Dodge 1500 Ram 1500 4X4 will stall on approaching a red light. Also cuts out under medium acceleration. Tank level doesn't matter. DASH testing (rolling key three times) shows P0335 for faulty Crank Position Sensor. I have already changed this sensor once. It's doing it again.

I was told by a mechanic that a loose connection will result in an interruption of the 5 volt return signal to the PCM causing this to happen. Reading these other posts, I think it's also possibly EGR or Throttle Body. Nice truck but really? Crapping out three times per drive is going to kill someone. Dealerships just rake in your money for trouble shooting and the code and problem are intermittent so not going to shovel money into a dealership. Will just keep doing trouble shooting and fix myself...hopefully before the fiery crash on the freeway

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Dec 152013

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L

Engine stalls at stop and upon shifting into reverse and sometimes shifting into drive. Just spent 400 dollars for egr valve didn't solve problem then replace crank shafts sensor and throttle body still not fixed. Overall I'm around 1000 bucks at the dealership and still stalls. They mentioned vacuum booster now... wish they had to pay if their diagnosis is wrong feel like I'm dumping money for no real fix just guessing..

- , Falmouth, ME, USA

Nov 192014

Ram 1500 ST 4.7L V8

Bought truck brand new off lot in 2005, 2 weeks later stalling out in corners or slowing to a stop, so into shop it went . Nothing found. Go figure. Second time was about a year later and it had a code this time, so they flashed pcm and all was good for another 2 years.

Started surging and stalling so in it went again, this time they replaced the pcm... yay , ran great till November 2014, then all over again with no codes and three trips to dealer for checkup. Could not find problem. Now warranty is expired and code shows up after it stalled for my wife on her way to work. Another visit to dealer and they call me to let me know that the pcm is bad and will cost me $900 to fix.

Why cant Mopar save face when they know a problem part exists and just fix it right without ripping off customers ? Truck will sit in their lot where they can stare at it until I decide to trade it off or scrap it out. I used to love Dodge, but now ?????

- , Grants Pass, OR, USA

Nov 272014

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L Hemi V8

First, this truck was great until recently it started to stall at turns, most recent a few weeks ago it stalled on the freeway doing 80mph very scary losing all power steering breaks and in the fast lane. Most recently, it started stalling with no warning after i replaced the EGR valve, Throttle body, oil filter, oil change. new battery and battery cable old one was deteriorating also replaced the fuel pump, PVC valve, wires and spark plugs and reset the PCM and the F*ER is still stalling whether or not its going around a turn at 5 mph or doing 80. Also when I punch the gas it misses now. So yeah, f* Dodge! If i did not owe money still, I would sell it.

- , Vallejo, CA, USA

Aug 292013

Ram 1500 Hemi 5.7L

I own a 2005 dodge ram hemi. for awhile now its been acting up. first i had to replace the ignition switch. i thought that was the problem. it helped for awhile but i noticed now that it didn't. i have been driving down the highway at 60 miles an hour and the truck will just stall out. i barely have enough strength to get it off the road. It won't start right away like it has flooded out or something. after a few tries its starts up and its fine..It's very scary and my mechanic has no clue what is going on. I hate not being able to go places in case it stalls on the way there or home late at night. and with my grandchild in vehicle, its doubly scarey. If anyone knows what is going on please contact me . Engine light has come back on after a two week break. but i notice something that it doesn't start this till the gas gauge is down to a 1/4 tank.

- , Potosi, MO, USA

Jun 012014

Ram 1500 1500 5.7L Hemi V8

So I bought my 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 a few months back and as of recent, there seems to be a stalling issue. The truck will start and idle just fine, however, when I back out of my driveway or parking spot and begin to move forward and sometimes when I come up to a stop sign, the truck will stall. I then have to put the truck in neutral and start it before moving forward.

I called my local Dodge dealer and informed them of the technical service bulletin for this truck for a stalling issue calling for a software update, and they told me that this only applies to trucks built prior to 2/21/2005, and unfortunately mine was built in July of that year. None the less mine still has this problem. I then contacted Dodge corporate office and all that they would say is that there is no recall for this vehicle and that all they will do is log my complaint.

This is a serious safety issue because when the truck stalls, I lose steering. So, I began thinking of all of the others on this site that are having the same issue, so I contacted my local media investigative team for a major news channel in Chicago thinking that maybe with enough media coverage, Dodge will just fix the problem and make it go away. I hope that my persistence helps some of you!

Update from Jun 10, 2014: So today I tested the IAT sensor and the MAP sensor and neither of them are the problem. I am fearing that it is the Throttle Position Sensor which sucks because it is integrated into the throttle body and is all one piece. The throttle body is $168 from the dealer only.

Update from Jun 16, 2014: PROBLEM SOLVED!!! So I finally got fed up with trying to fix this issue on my own and took it to a local mechanic that I trust, and it turns out that the issue was a short in the wiring for a wheel speed sensor. The way I understood what the mechanic said is that when the wire shorted, it sent a signal to an air sensor telling the computer that the vehicle was not moving and did not need the air to do so, so it cut the air supply to the vehicle causing it to stall and sometimes for the RPMs to surge. For the diagnostic time and the labor, the total came to $120. I hope that this helps some of you. Dodge still will not admit that there is a problem with these trucks and I recommend to those of you that are having these dangerous safety issues to contact your local media investigative teams as well as your state attorney generals office. Explain to the Attorney General that this is a safety issue and Dodge is ignoring the complaints and you need help. That is what I did and they are getting involved. My truck is fixed, but maybe we can band together and make them do something before someone loses their life due to this defect, if we are not too late already.

- , Valparaiso, IN, USA

Jan 262014

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

My 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 stalls at slow speeds with no light

- , Muncie, IN, USA

Jun 202006

Ram 1500 Daytona Edition 5.7L Hemi

Hey everyone, just like everyone else I was ready to drive my truck off a cliff. It would stall randomly, at first no warning, first start up of the day, then return to normal. This was about one year after I purchased it back in 06. As time passed I started to get the random messed up rpm idle, usually in the morning or first start of the day, then on cold or rainy days it would act funny most of the day. Once again, no lights no warning. Then months would pass with no issues. i got so use to driving and checking my rpm gauge every 5 seconds, ready to give it some throttle if it dipped below 500 rpms and heading down to stall...

I can't tell you how many times I probably appeared to look like a drunk driver running over curbs turning corners when it would stall, WITHOUT warning. I took my truck in 3 different times and not one mechanic could find a problem. I love it too because they all look at you like your crazy or stupid and know nothing about vehicles, Well guess what, I design and build weld fixtures to ASSEMBLE the big threes vehicles, so yes I know how they're made.

Long story short if you have a 5.7 Hemi Ram and it stalls randomly and has the messed up rpm fluctuations, or hesitation problems, swap the throttle body first. It's $164 at the dealer and 4 bolts hold it on, very easy job and it returned my truck to normal. I also replaced my EGR and PCV, cheap and easy to replace also, and poof, magic, no more dips in the rpm in the morning or when I turn corners, most of all NO MORE STALLING!! : )

I truly hope this helps everyone. I was so frustrated and nervous to drive my truck for the last 8 damn years

- , sterling heights, MI, USA

Jul 122013

Ram 1500 5.7L V8 Hemi

Well I just got this truck On Wed second hand trade in but ran it from Tilton NH to Canaan NH then the next day to Loudon NH home no issues. then the next day drove to work still nothing ran like a top, then on my way home i came to a stop to turn onto my road and went to step on the gas NOTHING....I was pissed didnt hear or see any lights or warrnings that it had stalled....I turned the switch off then turned it back on and started up like nothing was wrong. So i drove home parked it and decided to look online to see if there was anything on this problem. then BOOM oh yeah I found this site and a lot of people have had the same issue...SO I'm looking on any feed back from people that have had done the ERG Valve rout and how that has been going cus I'll be damned if I go to a dealership or anything just to get the screws put to me. Anyways thank you for listening to me rant and rave haha...

- , Canaan, NH, USA

Jul 012013

Ram 1500 LST 4.7L V8

Stalling in parking lots, or at slow speeds is common, the EGR valve was replaced and it fixed the problem for a while. Then the issues started with the tachometer not reading correctly. Reading at 0KM when at an idle, and jumping back and forth while driving... then the truck gets stuck in 3rd gear out of nowhere and can not figure out how to f*cking shift. SO THEN WHAT ELSE? THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT DECIDES TO MAKE AN APPEARANCE... and the truck does not want to accelerate like it used to... AAMCO - HERE WE COME! I HATE THIS TRUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They seemed to think it was something with the throttle body, or the catalytic converter... so of course we give them all of our money to check it out - and all that came out of it was a clean throttle body and a "we can't find anything wrong"... so basically we are back to square one just waiting for this POS to act up again - you are not alone ram owners... if the truck was not paid off I would sell it immediately!

- , Belton, TX, USA

Mar 132011

Ram 1500 V8

Dodge ram 1500 is a ram in my butt. it stalls on full tank, half tank and at low speed and the dealership is a joke. I think its about time to call the Today Show see if they can get dodge to man up before someone is killed driving a ram 1500

- , Panama City, FL, USA

Feb 202013

Ram 1500

I bought a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad truck for my husband used a couple months ago and needless to say it started acting up on him a month or so later. I do not want this truck to cause an accident. While TRAVELING AT A LOW SPEED OR COMING TO A STOP THE TRUCKS RPM'S START GOING HAY WIRE AND THE TRUCK STALLS OUT. THE ELECTRICAL IS ALL STILL ON WHEN THIS HAPPENS. This has happened several times on him. I have called the dealership, Dodge, and yes I called the NHTSA. I was informed there was no problem listed for 2005 trucks through Dodge. When I called the NHTSA I asked about the issue and found I believe 8 issues like this. The more the complaints then maybe they will see the issue and finally have a recall on the problem. I just wished I knew what the problem is. I am taking the truck to Dodge today to drop it off and they are going to do a full diagnosis on the truck. If I could I would sit up there and watch everything they do to make sure they cover everything, but I can not. I want this issue resolved. I hope they find it cause this is one worried and frustrated woman.

- , fort benning, GA, USA

Jun 112012

Ram 1500 SLT Hemi

Engine stalling and hesitating. Seemed worse when slowing down, or turning. Check engine light coming on. Dealership reset engine light, not fixed. They couldn't find problem. Took to independant garage. Changed all spark plugs, shortly after, stored for winter. If this continues, will sell, and buy something reliable. Love this truck, but it is dangerous.

- , Thamesville, Ontario, Canada

Oct 252012

Ram 1500 5.7L

I had the same problem with my ram truck stalling just like everybody else for two years one night it started acting up again like always but this time thank GOD it finally set off a code it was the map sensor i change it and had no problem since no matter how fast you come up to a stop light or sign no stall its been about 5mos now and its still running like new i have a 05 ram 1500 and the old map sensor they do not make its been updated so the model number will not match the new one and the new one does not fit unless you break the two little plastic brace where the old one sit at its a dodge dealer part and they should tell you this when i got mine its pops up on the screen to let the customer know i hope this help everybody that's been having this problem.

- , Newport News, VA, USA

Apr 142012

Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi

I've had my Ram for years and never had this issue until recently. Now I see many others are experiencing the same issue. It's happened to me with 1/4 tank of gas or less and just today on a full tank. I feel fortunate that I've got so many miles and just started having this issue but it doesn't change the fact that its an issue that doesn't appear to have any resolution. Crashing when the steering gives out because it stalled isn't resolution

- , Modesto, CA, USA

Jul 022012

Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7L V8 Hemi

I've been doing my online research for more than a couple years now concerning what others are and have experienced with RAM 1500 HEMI stalling. For as much owner documentation as there is , DODGE (dealers) for the most part do not ( or will not , it seems ) acknowledge that there is a problem. I have refused to give away hundreds of dollars to dealers to diagnose and make repairs where there is obviously no guaranteed fix. There are those that have replaced everything imaginable and still have this problem.

So I'm riding around for the past two years with this truck stalling out in traffic without warning. Mine has only done this in hot weather - as soon as winter returns , I'm good again for a few months. It usually happens at very slow speeds ( 30 or less ) and more likely during a slow turn.

Well , today this truck died on 3 separate occasions ( under the conditions as above described ) within the time span of an hour. Maybe I've gotten use to all this happening and I just keep on driving and putting up with it. The up-side is that I can shift back to neutral and restart without problem.

I have read the comments of others that express their fear that this truck poses a safety problem ; men and women alike feeling just a little bit uncomfortable with a vehicle that gives no warning , cuts-off , and in doing so you lose the ability to steer the vehicle. There is no question that a NHTSA investigation is warranted and to result in a recall. It's puzzling that this has not already happened ?

For me , this problem can no longer be casually dealt with. You see , on that last occasion that my truck stalled today , ( at 5 mph while turning a corner ) , my truck was rear-ended by a vehicle that was following. My bumper is only scraped but the other small car took on serious damage.

I have been using STP Fuel Injector Cleaner for a while now as someone thought it had helped their truck to some extent. Cleaning the nozzles can't hurt , right ? Plus it's inexpensive and more satisfying than giving a dealer a few hundred dollars for a repair that was never guaranteed to fix your problem.

I've recently counted scores of people that have had the codes read and more often than not the P040 Code for EGR Valve is stored. This was my code today and I purchased the EGR Valve for $39.99 ( Advance Auto Parts ) .... they also checked the codes for free with a handheld scan tool .... and were very helpful in answering all my questions.

I removed the old valve and installed the new one in about 30 minutes after allowing the engine to cool for a few hours. Four bolts total - two sizes ... you'll need the two sockets , a short extension and a ratchet. I returned to the parts store where they cleared the code. Check engine light is off since and I've driven 25 miles on a 98 degree day with no problem yet.

I'll update this to report whether a fix may be apparent after some more days of driving. Get your codes checked "free" and avoid expensive dealer repairs as no one really knows what this problem is. Be careful out there !!

- , Brownsburg, IN, USA