2005 Dodge Ram 1500 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Dodge Ram 1500:

2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments

Nov 062015

Ram 1500

My 2005 Dodge Ram srt-10 viper truck engine stalls/shuts down without warning, no codes, no errorlights while driving...I have a problem with my truck stalling out when parking or going through slow turns. In the middle of an intersection¿while an emergency vehicle was approaching, it died and I slowly drifted over to an adjacent curve.. the most recent was on 11/06/15, but it has happened at least 5 times over the past 5 months. All lights and the radio remain on and it starts right back up, however my steering and brakes lock up which is a huge safety concern. When the steering wheel is turned my rpms drop dramatically and it sounds like the truck wants to stall. Started surging and stalling so in it went in again, this time they replaced the iac module...and then they thought it might be the fuel pump'so they tested the fuel rail and claim that it was losing 5% of its torque¿but not to be concerned¿then they thought it might be the map sensor¿but no !...again with no indication, no error lights; and no codes¿ ¿ and the dealership mechanics still can not get it to run without shutting off once you step on the accelerator it dies¿ to dealer for checkup. Could not and can not find the problem. And they charged me $967 why can¿T Fiat-Chrysler save face when they know a part problem exists and just fix it right without ripping off customers ? the mopar mechanics have had my truck since November 6th, 2015, (over two months ) and still can not figure out what is wrong with it¿.. ¿they want me to pay more money while they explore different options they claim that the Fiat-Chrysler coprporation engineers want them to try¿ ¿really..ss you are asking the consumer/customer to fund the education of your mechanics¿Fiat-Chrysler really "???" please recall these trucks before some-one or some-family gets killed please..please !!

- Detroit, MI, USA

Jun 012015

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500. While driving approximately 50 mph, all of the warning lights illuminated on the instrument panel and the brake lamps failed. The failure recurred numerous times. The driver stated that there was an abnormal odor of fuel coming from the front of the vehicle and the vehicle began to violently shake. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- Point Pleasent, WV, USA

Oct 312015

Ram 1500

The engine stall which appears you have investigated is concerning for me. Multiple times I have been make a R turn and had the engine "die" in deceleration through the turn resulting in the truck losing power steering and electrical components of the truck. The recent incident almost resulted in me striking a motorcycle waiting in the L hand turn lane for the traffic signal. The engine has stalled in several other turn situations causing me to be restarting at stand still in traffic. I feel this has proven to be a safety concern and not just a inconvenience.

- Corvallis, OR, USA

Sep 242015

Ram 1500

When filling up for gas the pump does not stop causing gas to overflow from the fuel filler. I have contacted Dodge and they will not do anything. I have researched this issue and is a common problem for these vehicles. I am concerned as this is a fire hazard every time I go to fill up at a gas station. I have owned this vehicle since July 2014 and this has been an issue since I purchased the vehicle.

- Grove City, OH, USA

Sep 042015

Ram 1500

Customer states that vehicle stalls at low speeds, including stop lights and while driving in slow traffic, stall incident have occasionally occurred at highway speeds cuasing loss of power steering and power brakes. Even when no codes are thrown vehicle has a obvious misfire, codes are not constantly thrown but when they do they are only thrown during travel up hills at rpms over 3500, the codes thrown are P0306, P0308 with no apparent cuase. Approximately 6-8 months ago the code P0308 was thrown and the rocker arm on cylinder 8 was determined to be the cuase, it was replaced. Code stopped being thrown until 9/4/15. This vehicle has been used as a daily driver and has not been driven in excess of normal work and back driving. Owner has contacted a Dodge dealership who have 1. not found a corrective issues, 2. not been able to recreate the issue. This is appearing to become an issue with this model. Customer has informed Dodge who states that he should take it to a dealership and have them diagnos it….this has been done already and they couldn't find anything. Customer has since investigated NHTSA incident codes and listed related ones below NHTSA id number: 10734353 NHTSA id number: 10714473 NHTSA id number: 10706537 NHTSA id number: 10703252 NHTSA id number: 10701387 NHTSA id number: 10690819 NHTSA id number: 10684177 NHTSA id number: 10684171 NHTSA id number: 10683138 NHTSA id number: 10676503 NHTSA id number: 10673112 NHTSA id number: 10640356 NHTSA id number: 10631009 NHTSA id number: 10608546 NHTSA id number: 10607485 NHTSA id number: 10595905 NHTSA id number: 10575632 NHTSA id number: 10526020 NHTSA id number: 10524646 NHTSA id number: 10523845 NHTSA id number: 10520377

- Linden, PA, USA

Aug 202015

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500. While driving, the oil gauge pressure decreased as the oil pressure gauge warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the oil pressure gauge failed. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 137,000.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Jul 092015

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500. While driving at any speed, the vehicle hesitated as if it were low on fuel and then stopped without warning. The contact mentioned that the vehicle was able to be restarted and was towed to an independent mechanic. The failure was not replicated. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- Glendale, CA, USA

Mar 052015

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled several times without warning and the failure was progressing. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who stated that the fuel pump assembly may need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired by the mechanic. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V796000 (power train) and 14V817000 (air bags). The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was not available.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

As I was preparing to park, my truck accelerated on it's own jumping over a concrete stopper and into a large metal pole in front of a business. The entire front of my truck caved in, the hood, the grill and the bumper crumpled and the air bag (which should have) did not deploy. The dealership is refusing to fix it and filed a criminal no trespass against me so I can't go on the lot or try to talk to the salesman. The police officers who responded checked me over, said it was an 'at fault' accident but only because I was behind the wheel and gave me a 'crash bureau form' to fill out, which I did. My online research showed recalls on both the accelerator and the air bags. Please help me. My insurance is not going to pay for the repairs due to the fact it was due to defective auto parts and the dealership should take care of it, which they won't. I am a fifty year old disabled female and my truck is my lifeline. I do not have the $7,000 the dealership wants me to pay to fix the truck I just bought (still doesn't have plates on it yet) and paid $10,000 for. I bought it from benny boyd in marble falls, Texas.

Ram 1500 8-cyl

As I pulled into a parking space, when I applied the brakes, the motor revved up, causing the pick up to surge forward and jump over a concrete stopper into a metal pole in front of a business. The hood, grill and bumper caved inward about a foot, the air bags did not deploy. I had a bump on my forehead and my wrists were sore for a few days. I did not go to er.

Ram 1500

Pulled into a parking spot in front of goodwill, foot on the brake, the truck surged forward, smashed into a metal pole, caved in my grill, bumper and hood and the airbag did not deploy. I had a bump on my head from the steering wheel and my wrists were bruised from hitting the dash. I took my truck to benny boyd here in marble falls per instructions from my insurance company and mark ball, the man who sold me the truck, told me to 'piss off' then filed a 'criminal no trespass' against me so I can't go back to the place I bought it.

Jan 182015

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

I heard an unusual noise, kind of a rattle and vibrating sound. It continued to get louder for about an 8th of a mile. I began to move toward the right lane of traffic to exit the main road. The noise became extremely loud and there was a grinding sound. Almost immediately there was a loud crashing thud occurred and the truck jarred to an immediate stop. After looking underneath I saw that the whole drive shaft was disconnected from the rear and fluid was spilling on the ground. The tow driver said he'd not seen anything like this happen. Our mechanic came by our place took a look at it and told us about the problem with the rear of this make and model. The pinion nut fell off or vibrated loose. We couldn't understand what could possibly have happened, then it all made sense when we found the recall and investigation information.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Apr 292013

Ram 1500

While truck was parked and secured, a fire started in the wire harness above the gas tank. Fire was contained before vehicle became engulfed. Fire department and police department reports made. Insurance company investigated. Determined wire harness overheated and ignited gas vapor leaking from plastic fuel system lines. Due to use of plastic materials, fire spread rapidly, including the top of the fuel tank melting. Truck has been repaired.

- Toms River, NJ, USA

May 032013

Ram 1500 8-cyl

The fuel tank on this truck leaks, the tank and the parts on it seem to be faulty, there are cracks were the fill tube is and tank is cracked, I believe the tanks on these trucks are a fire and loss of life issue, , it looks as the materials the tanks are made with aren't meant to be used for a gas tank, to me its poor material and design of a gas tank, when I took it to the dealer to trouble shoot my problem, they wouldn't even put what the problem was on the service ticket, they told me I need a new gas tank, as a retired NJ state certified fire fighter, I see this a real life safety issue,

- Naples, FL, USA