2006 Dodge Ram 1500 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Ram 1500:

2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Aug 012015

Ram 1500

The vehicle violently shakes upon encountering any bump at speeds ranging from 65 to 75 mph. Speed must be dramatically reduced in order to regain control of the steering. Motor failed prematurely at 87000 miles. 5.7 hemi.

- Rock Springs, WY, USA

May 112016

Ram 1500

While driving usually above 60 mph after hitting a bump in the road the vehicle shakes violently and becomes uncontrollable. I have to slow down suddenly to approximately 45 mph to get it to stop. This usually happens on the highway.

- Springboro, OH, USA

Aug 062015

Ram 1500

At just about any speed, if you hit the right bump, the left front shakes out of control have spent $1000's of my own money trying to correct, the death wobble.

- Brooklyn, CT, USA

Dec 132013

Ram 1500

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 15V313000 (air bags) and 13V528000 (steering); however, the parts to do the repairs were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repairs. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Massillion, OH, USA

Jan 152014

Ram 1500

I received a recall notice from fca which stated the parts required were not available and they would contact me when the remedy parts were available. I have heard nothing.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

May 122015

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 15V313000 (air bags), 13V528000 (steering), and 09E001000 (steering). The parts to do the repairs were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repairs. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Eagle, ID, USA

Oct 042015

Ram 1500

I was coming out of the hills after a day of hunting and as I made it back to town luckly going slowly I turned the corner and my driver side tie rod end broke. Leaving my truck stranded in a small town about 5 miles from my camp. Took my truck to the local shop the next day cause this happend on a Sunday and got it fixed. The mecanic at the local shop told me this was a recalled part. So after returning home from my hunting trip I looked it up and it is a recalled part on many Dodge vehicles. Why was I not notified? if this happend at 65 miles an hour my 4 kids probley wouldent have a father today. I have a recite for the work done. Not only do I want my money back and compensation for my time I also would like to be notified of any ohter recalls. This Dodge of mine is a pavement pounder. It drives freeways only most of the year and only a couple weeks out of the year driives moutain roads during hunting season to get me to and from my locations to get out and hike behind closed gates. It hauls nothing other than a few animals and a small 19 ft travel trailer during hunting season.

- Centraila, WA, USA

Oct 022015

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that the steering wheel seized and the vehicle would not move. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 68,000. Updated 12/10/15 updated 02/02/16 updated 03/23/16

- Quakertown, PA, USA

May 072015

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V528000 (steering) and 15V313000 (air bags); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Goldhill, OR, USA

May 182014

Ram 1500

I purchased this vehicle from a used car dealer in clanton, Alabama in April 2014. I was driving to my mom's, who lives in Mississippi when I came upon a bridge on the interstate while passing a 18 wheeler. When entering the bridge there was a small bump up and when the front wheels of the truck hit the bump the front of the truck started bouncing (death bounce or roll) uncontrollable. I had to cut off the 18 wheeler that I was passing and pulled to the side of the interstate and come to a complete stop for it to stop. It happened 4 more times before I got to my destination and it has happened on numerous occasions since and causing me to almost wreck each time. This is a very dangerous problem with this vehicle. You have no control over the steering while it is doing this it just bounces you all over the road. I have talked to a mechanic and he said it was the entire front end of all Dodge trucks that was causing this problem and had to be replaced. I wish to have an investigation on this matter, please. With only 82K miles on this truck the entire frt end should not be bad!! this problem, I was told by the mechanic was a defect from factory and should have been a recall on the entire frt suspension not just the tie rod, because the tie rod is not correcting the death bounce/roll problem with this trucks. I have a young son and a grand baby who has to ride in this vehicle and I do not feel safe driving this truck with my self in it. I will be looking forward to hearing from you. Thank you very much.

- Elmore, AL, USA

Feb 182015

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500. While driving at 65 mph over a bump in the road, the steering wheel shook violently. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 121,000.

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Aug 052013

Ram 1500 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500. When driving over unleveled land, the vehicle veered to the left or right and was extremely difficult to control the steering wheel. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who replaced all four tires but the failure recurred. The contact was also included in NHTSA campaign id number: 15V313000 (air bags) and was unable to determine when the part would become available to schedule the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 91,000. Updated 11/25/15 the consumer stated while driving on the freeway the transmission popped loudly. The electrical system is unreliable. The turn signals, emergency flashers, high beams, and windshield wipers all operate unintentionally. Updated 2/12/16

- Bloomington, CA, USA

Jun 012015

Ram 1500

Driving at approximately 45mph when steering wheel began shaking. Started pulling to the left and hit curb. Could not get vehicle up to speed and steer properly. Took to shop who indicated left front tie rod had come loose due to the ball stud being cracked. Paid to have replaced.

- Shawnee, KS, USA

Apr 212015

Ram 1500

My husband's Dodge Ram 1500 has had 2 power steering pumps replaced. The last pump was replaced in less than 39 days. Within the last week we have had 4 different episodes of the power steering gpoes out. When the power steering does go out there is a hard jerk to the right side. This is very dangerous. This past time my family and I was pulling a 27 foot camper behind us when the steering went out. We also had to replace the struts on the truck. This is ridiculous to keep having these dangerous problems. I will no longer let my son ride with his father because of the parental of the steering going out. This should not happen.

- York, PA, USA

May 082015

Ram 1500

Was driving on gravel road after a heavy rain. Came upon a water puddle and when I crossed it the front wheels hit fairly hard. At that point the front steering locked. I let the vehicle roll to a stop as I feared loosing control and leaving the road. The steering wheel remained locked until I had stopped. I then turned off the motor and restarted the vehicle. I turned the steering wheel at stopped position and with effort I was able to turn left then right. I feel something is wrong with this truck. It is not covered in the buy back on Dodge Ram trucks as I understand it, so what is up with that" what could be the difference between 2006 & 2008-2012 vehicles? I am very unhappy with this truck for other issues, which I do not find with other brands such as GMC or Ford. She is beautiful to look at, but seems to have inherent problems in all these trucks. My brother-in-law and his son own the same models but one is an 2008 and the other 2012 with much the same issues as my truck. Heating and cooling is bad. Wind at the side windows is intolerable. Cannot carry on any conversation with the family when going 65 mph because of the excessive noise level from these poorly constructed cab window frames. Ok that's it from me. Please tell why this 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 was not offered a buy back" best regards rcm

- Walters, OK, USA

Apr 012014

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500. While driving approximately 55 mph over a bump in the road, the front end of the vehicle began to shake vigorously without warning. The shaking stopped once the vehicle speed was reduced to 30 mph. The vehicle was taken to the dealer but the failure was unable to be determined. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure recurred on multiple occasions when the contact drove over a bump while driving at various speeds from 40 mph and over. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 13V528000 (steering) and 15V313000 (air bags), however, the parts to do the repairs were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repairs. The approximate failure mileage was 63,000.

- Port Ewen, NY, USA

Jul 252015

Ram 1500

When driving on interstate 74 just West of goodfield, Illinois on 7-25-15, I sped up to about 60 mph and all of a sudden the steering and front end started to shake and it shook until I lowered the speed down under 50 mph and continued on for about 7-8 miles. When returning I didn't get back up to 60 mph. This vehicle has had this problem but not as great since I bought it back in November of 2013.

- Congerville, IL, USA

Jan 312015

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500. While the vehicle was stopped, the contact had a seizure and his foot pressed the accelerator pedal. The driver side tie rod fractured and the vehicle traveled across a median, crashed into a bus, and then crashed into a street light. The contact stated that the vehicle was unstable and out of control as the contact ended up crashing into a wall. The air bags did not deploy. A police report was filed. The contact sustained injuries to both hands in which they were plated with metal due to extensive fracturing of the bones. The contact's back was fractured in three places and he sustained damages to the left leg. The front passenger sustained unknown injuries. The contact received extensive medical treatments. The front passenger did not receive medical attention. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence and was not diagnosed. The contact later received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V313000 (air bags). The VIN was excluded from NHTSA campaign numbers: 13V528000 (steering) and 10E013000 (steering). The VIN was not available. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Las Vegas , NV, USA

Jul 302013

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500. While the vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for an unrelated issue, the contact was informed that there was fluid leaking from the axle. The mechanic diagnosed that there was a pinion nut failure. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 130,000.

- Franklin, WI, USA

Aug 182010

Ram 1500

When it is very hot and the windows have been up, the ignition switch will not turn. The steering wheel will not turn and the key will not rotate from locked position. I have contacted Dodge and they say they have made notes on the issue, but they don't see a problem that they are responsible for. If this was an issue that I would have control of creating - it would be my problem. This is an issue with safety in that if I had an emergency and this happened I would not be able to start my car. Or, have a car-full of groceries and find out the car won't start!!! bad enough I have to wait for the car to cool off when this happens. This is a summertime issue which makes me have to find shade or park where the sun doesn't shine into the front of the car. Problem seems to be a part (probably plastic) that expands when it gets very hot and prevents the key cylinder from rotating. This can't be the only car with this issue as Dodge would elude to...

- Clearwater, FL, USA