2006 Dodge Ram 1500 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Ram 1500:

2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 012013

Ram 1500

My Dodge truck is becoming unsafe to drive. I bought new tires, had alingments for my steering done, balance of tires, rotation of tires, new brakes, new shocks, and now I have to take it to the dealer to get a known "concern" taken care of and pay out of my pocket once again. I have spent over $2,500 dollars of my own money trying to fix a known "concern" that Chrysler knows about. Now I have to take it to the dealer and pay $70 just to get it looked at, and then pay for whatever fix Chrysler has to do. Why is this happening and not getting fixed?

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Aug 032013

Ram 1500

Traveling 50 to 70 miles an hour and applying the brakes truck shakes from side to side (death wobble). Replaced brake pads, rotors, and spindles but problem persists

- Kilgore, TX, USA

Aug 062013

Ram 1500 8-cyl

I was driving on highway 64 E near williamsburg speed limit on the highway is 70 mph which is the speed limit at which truck turned off on its own. No hard idling, no check engine light came on just turned off on its own. Power steering was lost along with the brakes and could not control the truck. Had to let it go as it until I impacted in a ditch causing the tire to come off the wheel well, damage to the undercarriage and front driver side bumper. The truck is not safe to drive due to it shutting off and now steers to the left. After some research all Dodge Ram 2006-2011 have experienced this issue but Dodge has not done anything to rectify the problem. This is highly dangerous as it could of resulted in the loss of life if it wasn't because of the amount of soft mulch that braced my impact. I am in the military serving active duty and have come home deployment after deployment and to have it all end because of a faulty vehicle.

- West Point , VA, USA

Dec 202012

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Noticed vehicle steering had slack and jerked the steering wheel from side to side all the sudden. Took vehicle to family mechanic who inspected the vehicle and said he did not seen any external damage however he could tell there was slack in the steering and possible something with the tie rods or hub of drivers side on vehicle. He knew there was a current recall on the Dodge models concerning the steering linkage and tie rod assembly and also the gearbox shaft pitman. We researched the recalls and found that it covered the 2500 series in the 4X4 so took to our local Dodge dealership and they stated the recall did not cover our 1500 megacab 4X4 series vehicles even though they have the 2500 series parts under them. We scheduled immediate repair of the vehicle in order to prevent having a frontal crash or loss of steering of the vehicle. Chrysler advised us to file complaint since we were not able to claim the cost under recall. I believe that NHTSA should review and expand recall on all Dodge models with the steering problem and issue recall on any parts that are related to the steering or linkage from the 2500 series.

- Artesia, NM, USA

Feb 232013

Ram 1500 8-cyl

While traveling on interstate at ~ 65 mph, I hit a series of bumps that caused the front suspension to shake violently. This only subsided after slowing to < 35 mph and (fortunately) avoiding a crash. After doing some research, this is consistent with "death wobble". I am amazed that there is not a recall regarding this issue. I had new ball joints and tie rod ends installed ~ 6 months ago.

- Bridgeport, WV, USA

Jan 082013

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 mega cab. The contact stated that while driving 50 mph, he drove over a pothole and the vehicle started shaking violently. The contact lost control of the vehicle momentarily but was able to regain control of the vehicle and continue to his destination. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic and was inspected but the mechanic was unable to duplicate or diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 85,200.

- Madison, KS, USA

Apr 022012

Ram 1500

Dodge issued an "extended" warranty for the signal really in the steering column. They stated it could break. It really malfunctions- one signaling left it could/would change from signaling left to signaling right. They are aware of this - when I tried to get mine fixed they said that they truck would need to show the malfunction for them to honor the warranty. I feel this should be a recall do to faulty signals (safety issue) I spoke to corporate and they felt the issue was addressed.

- Lebanon, TN, USA

Sep 072011

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph, the steering wheel seized and the contact lost control of the vehicle. The contact was able to successfully unlock the steering wheel. The vehicle was taken to a local mechanic and the mechanic stated that the power steering pump needed to be replaced. The mechanic replaced the power steering pump, but that did not remedy the failure. The contact did not take the vehicle to a dealer. The failure mileage was 66,000.

- Madawaska, ME, USA

Dec 122011

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Started hearing a low howling noise in my front end when going around curves in the road, it progressively got louder after a couple weeks to a grinding sound, took it to the dealer where I bought it performance Dodge, woodbury, NJ. They stated that both front wheel bearings were bad. I told the service manager that I heard there was a recall on my year model for that very reason, he stated that he never heard of it, I informed him of the reason for the recall, and his answer was that my truck was 6 years old and those things wear out. I said are you crazy the truck has only 38000 miles on it, his answer was it was a good thing I purchased a extened sevice contract. It cost me $107 deductable.I called Chrysler and was told there was no recall on my truck.this was my first Chrysler product and if this is how they stand behind there product, when they were aware that there was a problem at the factory it will be my last. My truck should have been part of that recall, just like many others that were not.I will be trading it in for a Ford next year. Now I know why the govt. Had to bail Chrysler out so many times.

- Sewell, NJ, USA

Aug 302011

Ram 1500

The front right hand tie rod end fell off the tie rod ball joint as I was driving no apart sign of lose. Was just inspected by Dodge dealer less than 1000 miles no report at that time of tie rods being bad.

- Zionsville, IN, USA

Aug 012011

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 mega cab. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph, the steering seized and causing him to lose control of the vehicle, almost crashing into a pole. The vehicle was towed to a local mechanic who replaced the steering pump and the steering box. The contact stated that the steering box and power steering pump had been replaced at least five times. The manufacturer was contacted who offered no assistance. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 59,581.

- Madawaska, ME, USA

Jul 012011

Ram 1500

The left tie rod end dropped off my vehicle while backing into my driveway. There have been recalls issued on similar trucks. Dodge offers no help on my vehicle because recalls are VIN specific. To repair the cost was $1062. If Dodge hadn't redesigned the parts, my cost would have been $0 due to the 3 year/36,000 mile "bumper to bumper" warranty we purchased with the truck. (it was a used truck when we purchased it.) why haven't all of these trucks been recalled for this issue? I suppose the fact that there have been no deaths or major property damage will be the reason. This is a major hit to me and my family. We need the truck. We need the $1000 it cost to repair. Dodge says the only way they can help me is if the NHTSA expands the recall. I know that won't happen but would you please think about me and my family's dilemma the next time you issue a non-life threatening recall. I thought recalls were all inclusive. Guess I thought wrong. Thanks for listening.

- Union City, TN, USA

May 262011

Ram 1500

I had to replace the front wheel hub, there is a recall for this on my make and model but not my truck.... the recall # is 07V038000, I paid almost $300. For one side and I believe the other side is getting ready to fail.

- Medina, TN, USA

May 082011

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab (na). The contact stated while driving 35 mph the power steering fluid began to leak rapidly. The dealer was not notified. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and offered no further assistance. The failure mileage was 80,134.

- Lock Haven, PA, USA

Jan 012011

Ram 1500

Dodge 1500 06 tie rod failures.. about every 30000 miles I am having to replace tie rod ends due to the lack of factory lube points..(no zerk fitting per dealer reason for failure).....the looser it got the harder it is to control at breaking...

- Hastings , MN, USA

Jul 152010

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram. The contact was driving approximately 45 mph when the front tire began shaking back and forth violently, causing the contact lose control of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and the technician stated that the steering dampener would need to be replaced. In addition, the vehicle was also in need of a front end alignment. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 30,035.

- Deer Park, TX, USA

Jan 192008

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact was driving 60 mph over a road bump when the entire vehicle began shaking violently. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where repairs were made to the steering, the tires were replaced and an alignment was performed. The failure persisted. The vehicle was not further repaired. The manufacturer offered no assistance. The failure mileage was approximately 40,000 and the current mileage was approximately 80,000.

- Deland, FL, USA

Oct 132010

Ram 1500

2006 Dodge Ram 1500 currently has 63,000 miles. Has had the front struts replaced 3 times, motor was replaced, transmission has been replaced, rack and pinion has been replaced, ball joints have been replaced countless times, tie rods have been replaced, wheel bearings have been replaced approx a yr ago and are defective again. Currently waiting for them since there on nationwide back order the dealership claims. All of these have been under warranty. But I have spent countless $$$ on tires and having to rent a vehicle while this on is in the garage constantly.

- Springville, PA, USA

Sep 182010

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact was traveling 75 mph when the contact noticed that the vehicle suddenly began to vibrate abnormally and sway from left to right. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the contact had the tires balanced and rotated. The failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where the contact was informed that the tie rod, suspension bar and steering damper would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The current mileage was 70,000 and the failure mileage was 69,000.

- Hickory, NC, USA

Aug 022010

Ram 1500

-the contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact was reversing at 1 mph when the vehicle independently stopped moving. The contact then discovered that the rear driver side tie rod fractured and caused both rear tires to protrude outward. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 52,950.

- Bradford, NH, USA