2006 Dodge Ram 1500 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Ram 1500:

2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

May 082015

Ram 1500

Was driving on gravel road after a heavy rain. Came upon a water puddle and when I crossed it the front wheels hit fairly hard. At that point the front steering locked. I let the vehicle roll to a stop as I feared loosing control and leaving the road. The steering wheel remained locked until I had stopped. I then turned off the motor and restarted the vehicle. I turned the steering wheel at stopped position and with effort I was able to turn left then right. I feel something is wrong with this truck. It is not covered in the buy back on Dodge Ram trucks as I understand it, so what is up with that" what could be the difference between 2006 & 2008-2012 vehicles? I am very unhappy with this truck for other issues, which I do not find with other brands such as GMC or Ford. She is beautiful to look at, but seems to have inherent problems in all these trucks. My brother-in-law and his son own the same models but one is an 2008 and the other 2012 with much the same issues as my truck. Heating and cooling is bad. Wind at the side windows is intolerable. Cannot carry on any conversation with the family when going 65 mph because of the excessive noise level from these poorly constructed cab window frames. Ok that's it from me. Please tell why this 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 was not offered a buy back" best regards rcm

- Walters, OK, USA

Apr 012014

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500. While driving approximately 55 mph over a bump in the road, the front end of the vehicle began to shake vigorously without warning. The shaking stopped once the vehicle speed was reduced to 30 mph. The vehicle was taken to the dealer but the failure was unable to be determined. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure recurred on multiple occasions when the contact drove over a bump while driving at various speeds from 40 mph and over. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 13V528000 (steering) and 15V313000 (air bags), however, the parts to do the repairs were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repairs. The approximate failure mileage was 63,000.

- Port Ewen, NY, USA

Jul 252015

Ram 1500

When driving on interstate 74 just West of goodfield, Illinois on 7-25-15, I sped up to about 60 mph and all of a sudden the steering and front end started to shake and it shook until I lowered the speed down under 50 mph and continued on for about 7-8 miles. When returning I didn't get back up to 60 mph. This vehicle has had this problem but not as great since I bought it back in November of 2013.

- Congerville, IL, USA

Jan 312015

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500. While the vehicle was stopped, the contact had a seizure and his foot pressed the accelerator pedal. The driver side tie rod fractured and the vehicle traveled across a median, crashed into a bus, and then crashed into a street light. The contact stated that the vehicle was unstable and out of control as the contact ended up crashing into a wall. The air bags did not deploy. A police report was filed. The contact sustained injuries to both hands in which they were plated with metal due to extensive fracturing of the bones. The contact's back was fractured in three places and he sustained damages to the left leg. The front passenger sustained unknown injuries. The contact received extensive medical treatments. The front passenger did not receive medical attention. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence and was not diagnosed. The contact later received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V313000 (air bags). The VIN was excluded from NHTSA campaign numbers: 13V528000 (steering) and 10E013000 (steering). The VIN was not available. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Las Vegas , NV, USA

Jul 302013

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500. While the vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for an unrelated issue, the contact was informed that there was fluid leaking from the axle. The mechanic diagnosed that there was a pinion nut failure. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 130,000.

- Franklin, WI, USA

Aug 182010

Ram 1500

When it is very hot and the windows have been up, the ignition switch will not turn. The steering wheel will not turn and the key will not rotate from locked position. I have contacted Dodge and they say they have made notes on the issue, but they don't see a problem that they are responsible for. If this was an issue that I would have control of creating - it would be my problem. This is an issue with safety in that if I had an emergency and this happened I would not be able to start my car. Or, have a car-full of groceries and find out the car won't start!!! bad enough I have to wait for the car to cool off when this happens. This is a summertime issue which makes me have to find shade or park where the sun doesn't shine into the front of the car. Problem seems to be a part (probably plastic) that expands when it gets very hot and prevents the key cylinder from rotating. This can't be the only car with this issue as Dodge would elude to...

- Clearwater, FL, USA

Dec 012014

Ram 1500

Driving down the road my front left strust blew out without warning and at same time the front sway bar broke off on same side it was hard to control I slowed down N stopped and had truck hauled to dealership dealership woouldnt change both front struts said other one looked fine charged me 750 dollars and one month latter oposite side strut blew out N sway arm snapped off.. and now I have problems where the rear end of my truck walks all over the road

- Nicholson, PA, USA

May 282014

Ram 1500

Rear axle pinion nut came out causing the drive shaft to fall out and the rear differential to freeze up. This happened with no noise or notice while driving at 65 mph on the interstate.

- Spring, TX, USA

Nov 192014

Ram 1500 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph, the vehicle started to shake violently after driving over a pothole. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the steering shocks, steering arms, ball joint, and tie rods need to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 156,000. Updated 2/9/15

- Bellefontaine, OH, USA

Aug 172011

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500. While driving approximately 20 mph, the passenger side tie rod fractured. The contact replaced the tie rod end and the steering stabilizer. The contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign number: 13V528000 (steering). However, the parts were not available. The manufacturer stated that the recall only applied to the driver side tie rod. The failure mileage was 33,000.

- Vionsville , IN, USA

Jul 162014

Ram 1500 8-cyl

5 months ago my vehicle started a vibration in the steering wheel as I would drive and then my truck would shake as slowing....I went to the dealership for a fuel service and was notified of several recalls including a hub assembly that I had replaced the year before. I was told I would be called within 2 weeks to schedule a appt to have it fixed but when I attempted to call, the person I had talked to was let go or fired...since then I have been going to school and working fulltime. 2 weeks ago my truck started with a noise sounding like a squeal/squeak...and I was told it just needed penetrating oil but the noise has gotten worse....

- Bude, MS, USA

Jul 042014

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that the steering failed without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the technician diagnosed that the tie rods needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 6,000 and the current mileage was 28,020.

- Williams Bay, WI, USA

Jul 052007

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle suddenly stalled. The contact also mentioned that while driving, there was an abnormal noise coming from the steering wheel. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 20,000.

- Richwoods , MO, USA

Feb 122014

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact received a notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V528000 (steering). The dealer was unable to provide an expected date for when the part would become available. The manufacturer was not notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Long Lawrence, KS, USA

Dec 272013

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact received a recall notification of NHTSA campaign id number 13V528000 (steering) however, the vehicle have not been serviced under the recall because the part needed was unavailable. The dealer was not able to provide an expected date for the part to become available. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Corryton, TN, USA

Apr 302014

Ram 1500 8-cyl

I have experienced the Dodge death wobble, a violent shaking, a sudden pulling to the left, then a sudden sharp pulling to the right, with not being able to control by steering, all the while the steering wheel is still violently shaking and with hard braking my vehicle came to a stop with two wheels off of the road in the ditch. I took the pickup in to be checked right away with no real signs of why and decided to replace two of the tie rod ends. The vehicle drove ok for a short time and the death wobble started again, this time not as bad, but very often, like at least 100 times in the last month. As I have spent many hours researching this problem, it seams that 1,000's and 1000's of Dodge 2500 series pickup have this problem which as lead to tie rods breaking. I have not heard of any deaths yet, but does someone have to die before this becomes a safty recall.

- Cherokee, IA, USA

Jan 152014

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that she attempted to have the vehicle repaired under NHTSA campaign number:13V528000 (steering:linkages:tie rod) but was made aware that parts were not available and the repairs were unable to be performed for the recall. The contact stated that the manufacturer had exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repairs. The contact had not experienced the failure. Updated 06/09/14 the consumer stated the vehicle was repaired on April 30, 2014. Updated 06/13/2014

- Seven Mile, OH, USA

Jan 162014

Ram 1500 8-cyl

At highway speeds of 70 mph, hitting a bump at highway speeds sends the truck into violent almost uncontrollable bouncing with the only way to settle the truck down is to slam on the brakes reducing the speed in highway traffic to 40 mph. The truck bounces violently and tracks into other lanes. No solution from dealer, I have owned this truck since new, well maintained. But repeated front end replacements and repairs, some recalls, some at my expense. This is being epidemic.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Mar 282014

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated attempted to have his vehicle repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 13V528000 (steering) but was informed that the parts were not available. The contact stated since the failure was reported in November of 2013, there should be a remedy available before March of 2014. The contact stated that the manufacturer had exceeded a reasonable time for repair. There are no failures at this time.

- Midway , GA, USA

Jan 192014

Ram 1500

The vehicle is shuttering under braking and while applying directional inputs. All tire pressures are 35psi and are in good shape without cupping. While braking at speeds above 40mph the vehicle will shudder violently. The steering shudders while applying slight directional control.

- Wallingford, CT, USA