2007 Dodge Ram 1500 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Dodge Ram 1500:

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jun 082012

Ram 1500

Vehicle will shift into 4 wheel drive but when trying to go forward or in reverse the 4 wheel drive locks up and causes vehicle to stop and this could cause for a unexpectedly stop causing someone to hit me from the rear and the rear differential is vibrating causing the gears to chip and does it at slow speeds and fast also when in 4 wheel drive the vehicle will not turn it comes to a dead stop which again can cause a unexpectedly stop and cause an accident.

- Stafford, VA, USA

Dec 302011

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

After getting a brake job I drove truck on freeway when the back wheels locked up causing severe bouncing in the back end. The truck was returned to the repair shop but locked up a couple other times on way back. They believed that they had overtightened the parking brake causing the lock up. They adjusted brake and I again took truck out onto freeway and had it lock up again a couple times. I returned the truck to the repair shop again. They then believed that there was a leak in a rear seal that was causing rear brake pads to get wet and expand, causing them to swell and lock up. They made further repairs and I drove the truck as normal for about two months when the rear end locked up on me again. Each time it locked up it was while driving at higher freeway speeds. Once pulled over to shoulder the rear end would free up and then drive like normal. The last time it happened was in March while on vacation. It has not happened since, however, I am careful to drive at slower speeds on freeway. I recently heard of the investigation into this problem in 2009-2010 Dodge Ram 1500 pickups and believed my truck may have the same issue. The repair facility that I was using at the time is S & K muffler, 1317 N. main, royal oak, mi 48067, (248) 548-9225.

- Royal Oak, MI, USA

Jul 092012

Ram 1500

While running down the road at 65mph the truck slips into reverse, making the back tires bark and then it goes back into gear. This scary and dangerous someone easily run into the rear. Please investigate this problem before someone gets killed.

- Douglasville, Ga, GA, USA

Apr 142011

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated while reversing out of a driveway, the pinion gear on the rear differential broke, causing the vehicle to stop in the street. The contact towed the vehicle to a dealer. The dealer repaired the rear differential and pinion gear. The failure mileage was 23,000.

- Ulm, MT, USA

Feb 242012

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

Driving a 2007 Dodge Ram at 35 mph in snow/slush conditions with full time 4WD. The shift motor on the transfer case failed and caused the vehicle to return to 2wd without any notification. This caused me to go into a spin. Just prior to spinning, the instrument panels lights went out and all gauges went to "zero" momentarily. Afterwards, the 4WD auto light was flashing and I had no 4WD. This design is not fail safe and there are no safety warnings from the manufacturer. I also found out from my local dealer that this is the second incident just in this area.

- Slinger, WI, USA

Sep 122011

Ram 1500

The contact wanted to use the following complaint that was emailed to NHTSA. Shift cable on 2007 Dodge Ram big horn edition comments: My husband and I recently had our Ram serviced the plastic yes plastic clamp holding the shift cable either broke or fell off the cable came to rest on the muffler the heat from the muffler burnt the cable and caused it to snap I feel this is a design flaw and a possible safety hazard what if this happened while my husband was driving? also a plastic clamp could easily break again and we would be subject to another costly repair I got in touch with Dodge and they will not assist I was told that there are a lot of plastic parts on vehicles I was also informed that the plastic clamp was damaged and therefore they could not help with a reimbursement I am angry now that Dodge basically wouldn't listen to my concerns so I decided to write NHTSA all I can say is if this happens again and my husband and/or I are hurt or worse as a result Dodge will be face a lawsuit just stating the facts. The failure mileage was 59,436.

- Twin Lake, MI, USA

Mar 162010

Ram 1500

Experienced strong vibration in front left side of vehicle, as though driving on rumble strip on highway. Speed was irrelevant, anywhere from 25 mph and above. Felt as though it was a locked caliper or other wheel/brake issue. Brought to dealership where truck was always maintained, and after their inspection, they find nothing. This was March, 2010. Experienced same vibration intermittently throughout summer of 2010. Vibration became a common occurrence. At times it feels as though I was driving on the rim. In November, 2010, brought to another dealership for same complaint. They find front axle shaft requiring replacement, which was covered under powertrain warranty. Also found was front hub and bearing requiring replacement, which was not covered under warranty. This failure appears to be the subject of 2006 model year recalls.

- Attleboro, MA, USA

Mar 182010

Ram 1500

The first rear differential failure occurred at 19,964 miles in middle of March 2010. Repairs were made under warranty. Nine months later the rear differential fails again at 25,165 miles in middle of December 2010. This time the rear wheels locked up and the drive shaft snapped off at the rear axle almost causing an accident. Dealer informed me that although the first repair was done under warranty the second was not covered even though time and mileage did not exceed 12 month 12,000mi on the repair. I was at his mercy because the vehicle was not drivable. So I paid $3,000 out of pocket for repairs which I believe should have been covered under warranty. It is January the 2nd, 2011 and the rear end is making that whining sound it usually makes before it disintegrates. I will be visiting the dealer on my next day off from work.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Mar 312009

Ram 1500

Driving down road, loud bang in back of truck, started running funny and weird actions when giving gas, braking, etc...felt mechanical, not engine problems. Lifted rear tires off ground, put in drive and could hear the loud clank, clank in rear end. Opened the cover and found large pieces of metal in bottom/magnet. Had to get new gears. If I would have been going fast or tried to drive a distance it could have been dangerous.

- Shreveport, LA, USA

Dec 302009

Ram 1500

Front end vibrates when in four wheel drive and accelerating fast. Dodge dealership states its normal on truck (basically it wasn't built right but Dodge doesn't care). Showed me another 07 Ram 1500 did the same thing.

- West Jordan, UT, USA

Nov 022008

Ram 1500

While driving at about 65mph, my passenger side front wheel came off the vehicle. I was involved in a solo spinout, accident due to the wheel coming off. The cause was determined to be the lower A-arm of the suspension failing, and letting the ball joint fall out of place. When the wheel was recovered from the accident, it still had the stabilizers attached, along with the ball joint, and various parts of the steering, and 4WD. The accident caused me to hit a guard rail at 65mph, at a 45-degree angle. Amazingly, my airbags did not deploy on impact. I suffered whiplash due to the impact. The point of impact on the truck was the front passenger side.

- Brentwood, CA, USA