2007 Dodge Ram 1500 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Dodge Ram 1500:

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

May 272016

Ram 1500

While driving on highway going 55 mph or above, the rear wheels lock up. There is a campaigne for the same year make and model of this truck campaigne number 06V341000.ive spoken with Chrysler on the phone and they told me even though my truck is having the exact problem of this campaigne it does not qualify to be part of it because it was manufactured in Canada. They told me I would have to take it to the dealership and pay for diagnosis and repair. Ive talked to my transmission repairman and he says it doesn't matter what country the transmission was made in it's still the exact same transmission as the ones having problems with this campaigne. What happens when my wheels lock up and someone gets killed? they need to open this campaign for the Canada trucks also

- Hazelwood, MO, USA

May 302016

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that the rear differential failed, while he drove at approximately 30 mph. The contact heard a rattling noise at the rear end and the vehicle seized. The vehicle was towed to the contacts residence. The vehicle was not repaired. The dealer advised that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V796000 (power train). The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 89,000.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Apr 082016

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500. While driving 20 mph, the rear tire seized and the driveshaft detached from the rear axle. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V796000 (power train). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 165,000.

- Desoto, MO, USA

Jan 022016

Ram 1500

Three sets of rotors and brakes in two years, 4WD auto light flashing and works intermittently(just started plus electrical noise in dash and heat stops blowing. Sounds like it's going to start on fire. I have to get to work so I have to drive it.(I have five kids a crabby wife and a granddaughter to feed), tie rod on drivers side went bad. So I had everything replaced. I've sunk allot of $$ into it and can't afford another penny. I'm concerned of all the complaints saying the computer goes bad causing the actuator to go bad as well. I hope it lasts long enough. Perhaps you should just start a go fund me page to Chrysler owners lol. It's a shame because it's a beautiful truck.

- Elgin, IL, USA

Nov 162015

Ram 1500

I purchased my vehicle 7 days ago. I have discovered a dangerous issue that only presents itself immediately after refueling. At low speeds in, turning, or while maneuvering through traffic the truck will chug and then die. Leaving my vehicle without power steering and little braking ability. It happened twice after fueling Friday, and then again three times after fueling today. Two of the three times I was in heavy traffic and was almost in a collision by unsuspecting drivers behind me. The third time I was turning onto a sharp on ramp to merge into traffic. Thankfully it died at the bottom of the ramp and not at the top where I would have been in traffic. And thankfully my wife wasn't driving, because without power steering her and my two daughters would have likely straightened out the on ramp and found themselves at the bottom of a steep bank. If this would happen while crossing a busy intersection a collision would be highly likely with fatalities for sure. The problem lasts for about the fist ten to fifteen miles of driving, and dies at lower speeds 0-25 mph. I have read about NHTSA investigations into other Chrysler vehicles presenting the same issues, and where the warranties have been extended on the fuel tanks to resolve the issue. These warranties must be extended to the 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 as well in order to resolve this issue before someone is caught in traffic and killed.

- Louisville, MS, USA

Sep 252015

Ram 1500

Severe noise in rear pinion area, possible damage to rear differential; from previous problem when rear pinion nut backed off causing rear pinion flange & drive line to fall out of the rear end. This occurred less than 300 miles after incident associated with conformation number 10763197. As well as I forgot to mention this at the time of filing the other incident, when in the middle of the road I was unable to move the vehicle forward due to a locked differential, we had to push the vehicle in reverse to get it safely off the side of the road, if I hadn't of had help I wouldn't have been able to move the vehicle safely to a safe location to wait until road side assistance arrived. I had complete loss of controlling the acceleration speed of the vehicle. The same part issues were associated with prior and latter year recalls, 13V038000, 14V796000. I was lucky with my son to have not been on the freeway if the drive shaft had fallen out at faster speeds, it could have caused a bad crash to my vehicle, or another person who would have been behind me in the same lane due to a loose drive shaft.

- Ogden, UT, USA

Aug 262015

Ram 1500

While driving at various speeds and also sitting at an idle, the truck tries to engage 4WD low. Dealership has replaced the front actuator, flashed the tipm on 8/28/15. Didn't leave the dealers lot and the truck was still shifting into 4WD on its own. Back to the garage it went. I would have thought the truck would have a built in safety so that it can not shift into 4WD low at high speeds... been told it could be the ac pressure switch, tipm, transfer case actuator motor. Awaiting transfer case motor to be replaced at the moment. Still waiting for dealer to say that it is fixed. The truck is presenting unsafe driving conditions and the dealership can't find whats wrong with it. The problem still happens as of 9/20/15. Dealer has had my truck since 8/26/15 and still has it as of 9/20/15.

- Goshen, OH, USA

Sep 102015

Ram 1500

Pinion nut on drive shaft which bolts to the differential came loose, causing drive shaft to come off on the road. No damage in gears of differential, or related mount, no related engine error codes prior to indicate problems with either transmission or rear axle differential. And no service on drive shaft since ownership in Jan. 2015; at the time of purchase millage was around 143,000. I was lucky not to have merged on a road of 50 mph right before it occurred. This could have caused a crash w/ my toddler and me or significant drive train failure. Noticed the same problem has been recalled on other Dodge Ram 1500 vehicles few years prior.

- Ogden, UT, USA

Aug 312015

Ram 1500

While driving down a shopping center access road at 15-20 mph, the drive shaft separated from the rear differential without warning and the differential oil leaked out completely. The rear wheels locked up. Thank god I wasn't traveling at highway speed. I know that there was a recall for this issue on 2005 model years (Dodge Ram 1500 recall 14V796000) as well as 2009-2010 model years (this is an expansion of a previous recall, NHTSA number 12V474000, Chrysler number M34.Chrysler's recall campaign number is N08). I feel all models from 2005 through 2010 and even 2011 should be included.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Aug 212015

Ram 1500

I have never been notified NHTSA recall id 14V-795-broken springs in clutch assembly. Never notified of NHTSA recall id 13V-528-faulty left tie rod assembly. The left side does make a clunking sound. I was just notified (late) of NHTSA recall id 15V-313- faulty air bags. It's been a month, I was informed they had no parts and I had to wait until notified again when parts are available. My son and his children ride in my truck with such a great hazard and I'm told to wait until they have parts" I cannot afford to wait nor can I afford to buy another vehicle while I own this one. I work for a non-profit company and have limited resources. What about the recalls I was never notified of" I would like fca to buy my vehicle back.

- Geneva, NY, USA

Jul 132015

Ram 1500

I was driving, doing 45 mph speed limit, when all of a sudden the rear end locked up and I went skidding to the side of the road.I exited the truck to see what happened and the center drive shaft was lying on the ground leaking fluid every where. I was lucky that no one hit me from behind and the kids weren't in the truck. I saw a lot of complaints about the same thing happening to others, but a different year truck. Please help

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Mar 062015

Ram 1500 8-cyl

We just turned onto my street and we heard a loud grumble and drag sound. Like brake or rear end lock up.. sure enough we stopped turned truck off and looked the rear end was locked and my drive shaft was laying on the road. Thank the lord above it didn't happen when we was just on interstate. I'm disabled and it was cold and I had to sit in truck until help came, which we are 18 -20 miles from town. I go to doctor a lot and its my only transportation.the mechanic said the rear end locked and something flexed and drive shaft came out.

- Mountain Home, TX, USA

Feb 042015

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

Slowing down to exit highway when rear differential locked up causing truck to skid.

- Crestwood , KY, USA

Jan 012015

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Driving, and just shut down would not start again, see thr recall on manual transmission.

- St .Petersburg, FL, USA

Jun 152014

Ram 1500

I was leaving work when it happened. I left the driveway and got on the road and once I hit about 35 or so my truck began to seize and popped in the rear. My truck then began to bounce in the back and I had to pull over and get out to see what had happened, and didn't see anything. I was very confused. I started to drive and turn back to the street and it started violently bouncing again so I took it to my mechanic who then helped me figure that the problem was the rear differential. We took it apart and found chunks of metal gears all over the bottom. I had to have it rebuilt for $1800 total. I was very disappointed and confused as to how a rear diff. Could just give out so I looked it up and many others with the same year or close to it had the same problem I had. Some at higher, more dangerous speeds for something that vital to give out. I was shocked to learn about this many people complaining and having the same serious problem with this part that I had and that there has been no recall for it. It shouldn't have to wait for someone to be injured or worse for the problem to be fixed. The truck is barely broken in and I love it which is why I was heartbroken when this happened. I want a recall done to stop this from happening to others and to help those that it's already happened too. I'm very upset this problem is happening to so many and nothing is being done about it. I'm glad I wasn't going at highway speeds like some others that had the same thing happen. I want the whole problem fixed because I heard it has something to do with the driveline as well and if that shatters like the rear diff then I hope I'm as lucky the first time.

- Keizer, OR, USA

Jun 192009

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

While driving at various speeds, the truck tries to engage 4WD lo. At low speeds it has engaged to 4WD lo. At higher speeds it has engaged 4WD lock and has shifted to neutral. Dealerships have replaced the actuator, said it was the tipm, and said it was an ac relay pressure switch. The problem still happens as of 12/24/14. Has been to 5 diff. Dodge dealerships. This is an intermittent problem and may not happen for 6 months. 4WD lo light flashes and serv 4WD light comes on. Different service codes come up when dealerships look at it. I have been the only owner of this truck.

- Davison, MI, USA

Oct 242014

Ram 1500 8-cyl

I had heard a grinding sound for a few days only when going in reverse. I was on my way to work and all of the sudden a loud bang happened and I stopped the truck and had to have it towed to the dealership. Repairman said that the rear end differential had exploded. Ive only had this truck financed for four months and now they want $4300 to repair.

- Trussville , AL, USA

Mar 212013

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that the vehicle was in park when an abnormal noise was heard. The contact later discovered that the drive shaft was rubbing and knocking. The contact referenced the NHTSA campaign number 07V413000(power train) but did not confirm if the vehicle was included in the recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 22,000.

- Glendale, AZ, USA

May 202013

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that while in reverse, the vehicle was hesitant to respond. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 78,000.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

May 262011

Ram 1500 8-cyl

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4, 5.7 slt clubcab big horn, limited slip diff- I bought it new and am the only owner. Pinion seal and bearing fail under warranty, about 1 once a year, twice under warranty. Failure mode is defined as a loud hum/whine from rear differential, chirp from rear wheels, each time leaving us on the side of the road concerned it will lock up or break off the drive shaft into the cab. Dealer noted that this happens a lot, reworked assembly and changed fluids.(diff fluid plus limited slip additive). This differential has now failed for the third time, now started extremely loud noise causing me to pull over in silicon valley traffic, nearly causing 10 car pile up. Independent shop has diagnosed, finding chunks of metal in rear differential. Dealer told me that they do not warranty their work, no recall, no tsb. As this is the third go back, I am concerned for my safety as well as that of my children, this is our family car. Without corrective action or root cause analysis, we are again put in harms way. As a government Agency, please review seriously against the other complaints, your numbers 10374409, 10343734. Please provide findings and response from Chrysler. I will continue to escalate to my representatives if I find that NHTSA does not properly ensure critical drive systems are reviewed for safety, I believe this to be a major safety problem as it has been recalled on other years and brands.

- Santa Cruz, CA, USA