2007 Dodge Ram 1500 suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Dodge Ram 1500:

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Nov 152013

Ram 1500 8-cyl

This is a megacab (solid front axle) and the front end started shaking so bad that I was not able to steer and it was very hard to slow the truck down. Only reason it did not cause a crash was because the cars next to me were able to get out of my way fast enough. I replaced the track bar bushings, the steering damper, aligned the front end and installed an aftermarket steering box brace. The issue happened again 3 more times and I am no longer able to drive the truck because it is way too unsafe to operate on public roads. I have seen thousands of other Dodge Ram owners complaining about this same issue and it is nick named Dodge death wobble. Something needs to be done before someone dies, this is a very serious safety issue.

- Centreville, VA, USA

Jan 162014

Ram 1500 6-cyl

My family and I were driving home a few days ago when suddenly the steering wheel jerked hard left while the front end of the truck started sliding into oncoming traffic. I corrected the wheel but it was so loose that we fish tailed the other direction. The steering wheel was violently whipping back and forth as I tried desperately to gain control. Finally the truck straightened out and seemed to be functioning normally after the near catastrophic accident. The following day I took the truck and it started screeching like dragging metal under the drivers side floorboard. I got out to see if anything was dragging from the truck, but didn't see anything. I made it home but it was screeching off and on. The next day when I jacked the wheel off the ground to check under the car I found that the wheel was very loose. I started doing some research online to diagnose the problem and I soon found two recalls for my truck. The first recall was a faulty left tie rod assembly and another was an unreliable wheel hub assembly. I called Chrysler Corp. To get my truck fixed but I was told that it was not part of any of the recalls. I verified that my truck was on both recall lists and she agree while explaining every vehicle in that particular production wasn't recalled.

- Evansville, IN, USA

Jul 232011

Ram 1500

During normal driving conditions on the interstate 64 in richmond va, I experienced the so called "death wobble" after going over a bridge expansion joint. The front of my truck began to vibrate and shake uncontrollably. It stopped once the vehicle slowed to approx. 45 mph.

- Charlottesville, VA, USA

Dec 222011

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Hit a bridge connecting strip, the truck vibrated violently it shook so bad the stuff in the door pouches came out of the pockets. I had to pull over to the side of the road an slow down to 25mph. After that I could only drive 48mph. I was on the interstate when this happened, luckily there was no one beside us, or there would of caused an accident. Chrysler isn't owning up to the problem. The problem has happened about eight times now, I was told it was the stabilizer shock. I had the shock replaced, it would be ok for a wile, then back to the same issue. ( I was told this was the [death wobble].

- Bloomingtonsprings, TN, USA

Feb 062013

Ram 1500 8-cyl

On 2/6/13, at 5:30pm, while driving on the interstate, out of nowhere the truck started to shake violently pulled to the left, tried to brake (not working) driverside wheel sheared off the truck.

- Flowery Branch, GA, USA

Sep 012012

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

The outer tie rods are worn again. I had them replaced already once, at approximately 22,000 miles. Don't think that they should wear so fast, this will be the 3rd set including the originals. I see that Dodge has recalled the 2008 my and greater, but not 2007. I think with a late model 2007, chances are the parts are the same as the 2007 my. I think Dodge should pay for this 2nd repair and provide some sort of warranty for it for the future.

- Spencer, WI, USA

Jul 022012

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab. The contact was driving 30 mph when the front driver side tire detached from the vehicle, causing it to fall to the ground. The vehicle was towed to the dealer who inspected the failure and advised the contact that the hub was separated and the bearings had lost their lubrication. The vehicle was left with the dealer for repairs. The VIN was unknown. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 64,539.

- Maysville, NC, USA

Nov 162011

Ram 1500

The contact owns 2007 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated while driving 70 mph, there was an abnormal grinding noise from the front passenger side tire. The contact took the vehicle to a local mechanic where the mechanic noticed that the front passenger side bearing was worn due to lack of lubrication. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign I.D. number 07V038000 (suspension: Front:wheel bearing) and called the manufacturer but the manufacturer advised that the vehicle was not included in the recall. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Middleburg, FL, USA

Jan 122012

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

As I went through an intersection, the right side upper ball joint failed causing the truck to drop onto the tire/wheel. After I slid to a stop (without hitting anything), I got out and looked at the damage. It bent the tie rod, pulled the 4WD shaft apart, etc. The dealer looked at the truck on Friday and said it would be aprox. $2K to repair it but the left side was also loose. I called Chrysler customer service and was told, "nothing we can do, it's after the factory warranty". I found an online complaint form and filled it out. Chrysler and the dealer talked and as of 1/19/2012, the total estimate was sent to Dodge in the amount of $3000. Customer service called on 1/23 and said that the dealer has agreed to drop the price by $500 and that Dodge would pay an additional $500 leaving me to pay $2000. I told them that it was unacceptable based on the condition of the truck, the year, and the miles. I have never had a ball joint failure at 56,000 miles (I.e.-since '94, I have had over 300,000 miles on GM vehicles and ball joints have never been replaced). The truck is still sitting at the dealer without any repair done yet. I emailed customer service today and received a response saying that the offer stands as is. In my opinion, it is a manufacturer issue. I have contacted an attorney to see what my next step should be. Even if it gets replaced, oem parts will be installed and I will have to worry about the front end failing again possibly causing serious injury. All I would like is to have Dodge/Chrysler pay the whole bill. As far as I know, Dodge has not looked at pictures that I have provided nor has a factory rep. Looked at the truck. I'm to a point where I want to trade the truck in as is for a different brand.

- Lansing, MI, USA

Oct 012010

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

My truck shakes violently when I drive in excess of 57 mph. When I hit a bump in the road (specifically the seems between the road pavement and the concrete bridges) or am in a curve, the shaking is even worse. The only solution is slowing down to 20-30 mph. I have replaced my steering suspension, had my tires rebalanced, had my tires rotated, and had diagnostics checks on tie rods, struts, bearings, etc. To no avail.

- Edgewater, MD, USA

Jul 302008

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

When driving on highways at 70mph or more if you hit any bumps in the road you get a violent shaking in the front end that is so severe that you have to slow down to about 30mph for it to stop. While this is happening its hard to control the vehicle and to keep it in your lane, its even harder to maneuver around turns. This even has a name for it with front end shops"Dodge death wobble" while this is happening all other vehicles tend to move away from you and I've even had people follow me into a gas station to tell me they thought I lost a wheel because of how violent my truck shakes. The dealerships tell me there's nothing wrong and shops say they have changed the entire front ends on vehicles and it still doesn't fix the problems. I feel that this is wrong and dangerous and the nickname is fitting. Please help make Dodge fix this dangerous problem.

- St George, UT, USA

Dec 182008

Ram 1500 8-cyl

While driving at any speed, if you hit a small bump in the road, the whole truck will shake. If you are rounding a bend and hit a bump, the truck will bounce across the road. The truck continues to shake and bounce uncontrollably. These conditions make the truck unsafe to drive. The vehicle has been completely checked out at the dealership. They state that nothing is wrong and can't find any cause or find any problem with the vehicle. This includes tires, tire pressure, balance and alignment. This vehicle is unsafe.

- New Castle, PA, USA

Aug 192011

Ram 1500 4WD

I just bought the truck a week prior to the first time this happened. I hit a small bump in the road going about 55 mph. When I hit the bump the whole truck and the steering wheel began to violently shake. I could not control the truck. It felt like the front end of the truck had broken and was coming apart. I hit the breaks and it finally stopped shaking when I got down to about 30 mph. I pulled over and got out and looked around the truck, and I found nothing wrong with it so I slowly drove it back home. Had it looked at the next morning and was told since it had only done it once that I shouldn't worry about it. It has been about 3 weeks since the first time it happened, and it has done it 5 times now. I took it to the dealership where I bought it and let them look at it, and they said they could find nothing wrong that everything looked like it was supposed to. 2 of the 5 times it has happened on the interstate while I was going about 65-70 mph and had to slam on my breaks in traffic to slow it down to try to get it to stop before I lost control of the truck, almost causing the driver behind me to hit me. I have done alot of research on the issue and found that lots of people are having this same issue with the same trucks and they are calling it a "death wobble", yet nothing has been done about it? I am scared to drive my truck on the interstate now because im afraid that has the potential to cause serious damage to my vehicle and others on the road if I lose control of the truck when it starts the violent shaking. This is a very dangerous problem, and I feel like there should be something done about it asap.

- Edmond, OK, USA

Apr 282011

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

I have a 2007 Dodge Ram megacab, I experience what ive come to hear people call "death wobble" in the truck. I bought the truck in November of 2010, the truck was inspected, I drove the truck on the highway, was driving at 100-120km/hr then experience a shaking in the truck, a violent shaking, much more severe then misalignment or part wear. I arrived in fredricton, got service done on vehicle, and had front end checked out, all was good. Recently I was driving on highway and death wobble happened again, and sheared my outer tie rod end off. It wasnot a failure from the ball in the socket, it was the shaft that goes through the steering knuckle that was sheared off. Called and asked Dodge if they had any issuses with uncontrollable shaking in their trucks, aka death wobble they said they havent. I have a pretty good background in mechanics, I know the death wobble is not right, and ive never seen a tie rod shear off like that before.

- Labrador City, 00, USA

Sep 172007

Ram 1500

Severe right front vibration in 2 wheel drive and in 4wheel drive at speeds from 25 to 65 mph range.

- Oriskany Falls, NY, USA

Apr 182008

Ram 1500

I bought my truck used it had 24000 on it. Before the warranty was out had in shop for tranny problem they said it was a sensor. They replaced the sensor. Not a month later took back for ac problem and tranny still was not right. They had to replace all of the ac components under dash it had collapsed, $1800 worth of parts. They could find anything on tranny. I have now had my truck a year. This month had to have front shocks replaced they leaked all oil out and front bearing replaced on passenger side. $1000 later front end is still making noise and rides rougher than before. The tranny is still giving problems. Now the rearend is also making whining noise. The truck has about 80,000 miles on it. I have never had this many problems out of a vehicle with less than 100,000 miles on it. I travel for a living so I have put many miles on many vehicles. I notice the 06 models having recalls for bearings and brake system but nothing for 07. Didn't know if maybe my truck was made in the earlier part of the year so it might possibly have the same defective parts.

- Bremond, TX, USA

Oct 142008

Ram 1500

Vehicle is developing persistent vibration and shudder at all speeds from 25 mph on up. Shocks, struts, and tires all checked by professional tire shop. All apparently ok and working properly. Vibration is felt through entire frame of vehicle.

- St Paul, OR, USA

Aug 062008

Ram 1500

I purchased a Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab hemi 2007. It came with Goodyear Wrangler hp P275/60R20 tires. Since I purchased the vehicle I have had major issues with hydroplaning. Even in the lightest rain the rear end of the vehicle will fish tail at idle speeds. I currently have 25000 miles on the truck and it has been used to tow a total of 2000 of those miles. The tires tread have warn so bad that they are down to 6/32 of a tread life. The other issue with this tire was 3 small rocks went in between the tread and punctured the tire in three locations in the flat part of the tread to cause the tire to have a leak. The tire slow leaked air to 18 psi where the punctures would seal themselves from the vehicle weight. Small rocks should not of been able to puncture the tire being an on/off road aggressive tire. This tire also should not have only 6/32 of a tread life after 25000 miles of highway miles over 12 months. I contacted Goodyear and took the tires to a Goodyear dealer to get checked and when I called Goodyear they told me the rock issue is a roadway hazard, but I was charged for the repair. For the hydroplane and tread wear, they told me there was nothing they could do. The dealer I went too, told me in his opinion those tires are not aggressive enough or heavy enough for that model truck, and he does not understand why Goodyear is placing them stock on that vehicle. That is the cause for the hydroplaning. I have almost had 2 accidents in the past 2 weeks during light showers due to sliding rear end. The vehicle hydroplanes during any rainy conditions, no matter how light or how severe. This caused him to have to drive his vehicle in 4 wheel drive, during these types of weather conditions. Also the jack of the vehicle does not fit his tires. His vehicle came equipped with 20'' rims and the jack is made for 18''. he called the manufacturer and was told that they do not make jacks for 20 rims.

- Hedgesville, WV, USA

Jan 082008

Ram 1500 8-cyl

In July 2007 we purchased a new 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 pick up truck from crown Dodge in fayetteville nc. On 01/08/08 my wife was driving the vehicle when the control arm on the front passenger wheel broke. This caused the tire to dislocate from the vehicle. The tire, ball joint, brake system and hoses stayed attached to the rim of the tire. This caused the vehicle to drop and surge to the right. Then collide with another vehicle.the control arm, ball joints and alumnium castings failed. We contacted the dealership who refered us to our insurance company even though the vehicle only has 5,800 miles and is still covered by factory warranty. We then E-mailed Dodge customer service and have yet to receive a reply. This type of product failure is similar to the issues with Ford SUV's which led to several deaths. If my wife were traveling on an interstate or major highway she could have easily been killed.

- Fayetteville, NC, USA