2.0

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Ram 1500:

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Mar 242013

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Driving at a speed of 45 mph the truck--2008 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 hemi-- died. I had no power steering. I was able to shift into neutral and stop. Very thankful I was on a country lane and not on a freeway because there was no warning and I could have been in a horrible accident. The check gauges light icon was flashing as I tried to re-start it. It would crank but not start. After waiting for 15 minutes it did start up again. The engine icon light was showing and it said that an oil change was needed. The oil change wasn't due yet for another 1000 miles, or, two weeks on my three month schedule. I get the oil changed every three months. It tried to stall from then on as I accelerated from a stop, on my way to to the dealer. The diagnostic showed a code for the egr valve, which was replaced. This was fixed four days ago and so far so good, but am very anxious when I drive now, worrying that it might happen again, especially after seeing so many posts online with others experiencing the same problem with their Dodge Ram trucks.this truck has 35,300 miles on it. This truck was serviced six weeks before this incident with: A 16 cylinder hemi tune-up; a throttle body service, fuel induction flush and fuel system treatment; transmission service with filter change; machined front and rear rotors; and tire rotation.

- Richmond, TX, USA

Oct 062012

Ram 1500 6-cyl

Complete loss of power to vehicle, including powertrain, steering. Power loss occurred previously when driving and hitting a bump (pot hole). Last event happened during normal steering into driveway. Speeds varied during occurrences. Top speed was approximately 55 mph.

- Angleton, TX, USA

Sep 082012

Ram 1500

We were driving our Dodge Ram 1500 mega cab (51,000 miles) on interstate 25 just South of douglass Wyoming. We were going approximately 77 miles per hour and in an instant I lost all control of the steering and we ended up off the side of the road after a very frightening experience. I bought this truck just over a year ago from a dealer outside denver, co. When the tow driver arrived, he immediately told me that my tie rod probably broke as my right front tire went completely sideways and was now rendered useless. He mentioned that we were very lucky as most times he sees these types of things, the truck rolls over. He also mentioned there was a recall on these tie rods. We had it towed to a dealer in douglass and are waiting to hear what they have to say on Monday. I ran my VIN# on Dodge's web site to see if its a recall, but its telling me that my truck doesn't have any on it. Candidly, after talking to mechanics locally, they said a tie rod should never bust like that and with so little miles on the truck. To say this is dangerous is clearly an understatement. This type of "defect" is going to kill people as it almost did us. I sure hope Dodge does the right thing with our truck. I have had nothing but issues with this truck since the day we took it off the lot. Within a month, the transmission went out and once again, Dodge said it wasn't their fault - 40,000 miles and a transmission goes out? after fighting with them for another month, they did repair and pay for the fix...

- Denver, CO, USA

Jun 052012

Ram 1500

Driving home from work down the highway I heard a loud whine coming from the rear end of the truck. I pulled over to the shoulder and was slowing down when the rear end locked up causing the truck to buck and skid to a stop. The drive shaft was lying on the ground having disconnected from the rear end. Once the truck was home I discovered nothing had broken. It looked like the pinion nut had loosened allowing the yoke to back off the pinion until they finally disconnected. Luckily for me, I had pulled over to the shoulder, so I was not actually doing highway speed when the drive shaft fell off, but the whine started at highway speeds and if I had not pulled over, or was not able to pull over, it very easily could have happened on the crowded highway during the rush hour with everyone trying to get home. I contacted Chrysler about this incident, but have heard nothing back from them regarding it. There is a NHTSA campaign (# PE12021) regarding this issue in 2009-2010 Ram 1500S. I hope that is expanded to include other years as mine is a 2008 Ram 1500 and had the exact issue as is described in that investigation. I have heard of others (granted from internet message boards, so no way of verifying it) with this problem as well, so this problem is not limited to the 2009-2010 model years.

- Stillwater, OK, USA

Feb 162012

Ram 1500 6-cyl

The transmission didn't want to shift into gear but did, carried to the local dealership, said the transmission gears are coming apart. Only 52000 miles on this truck can't believe this has happened $3100 to repair.

- Purvis, MS, USA

Sep 062011

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Ram. The contact was traveling 35 mph when the driveshaft detached and caused the rear wheels to seize. The vehicle then spun out of control, almost filliping. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer where the vehicle was being inspected. The failure mileage and current mileages were 40,000.

- Bonaire, GA, USA

Aug 042010

Ram 1500 4WD 6-cyl Diesel

2008 Dodge Ram. Consumer expresses discontent with several problems with vehicle the U-joint, tie rod, steering linkage and axle all had to be replaced. The consumer stated most recently, the check engine light illuminated.

- Ellsworth, ME, USA

Feb 042010

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Consumer stated 2008 Dodge Ram accelerated after removing foot from pedal. The consumer stated as she accelerated to pass a truck, the vehicle continued to accelerate. The RPM's reached 5000. She tried to place the vehicle in neutral, press the brake, but the vehicle continued to accelerate. Eventually, the vehicle started to slow down enough with her foot still on the brake. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, however they were unable to find a problem. The dealer stated they had never heard of an electronic control light, even though the light was on when the consumer arrived at the dealer. The shifting was erratic when first shifting out of park into reverse.

- Jupiter, FL, USA

Dec 092008

Ram 1500

2008 Dodge Ram 1500, the tipm module has burned up once already and after being replaced twice now we are smelling a burning smell again, when this happens the vehicle will not shift into or out of 4X4 (depending on what it is in when it occurs) it also causes loss of engine power, the windshield wipers quit, the air bag warning light goes on, the headlights dim way down, all the lights on the dash start flickering and all warning lights light up. This is very dangerous if this happens while driving down the highway at night and it is snowing or raining (which happens alot here in Washington in the winter) the "fixes" the dealerships have done (two different places) have never lasted a day, we just got the vehicle back from repairs and we are again smelling a burning smell nd it is doing it all over again.

- Colville, WA, USA

Dec 092008

- Colville, WA, USA

Dec 232008

Ram 1500

While driving with truck in 4 wheel auto I heard a pop and had some warning lights on dash flash on and off. Also had a burnt wire smell. Truck continued to run but after it was shut down it would not start nor would it come out of 4 wheel auto. This happened on 23 Dec 2008. As the truck was repaired and troubleshooting was completed it was determined that the electronic portion of the 4 wheel drive had burnt out the "integrated power distribution module" under the hood. I was also told by the Dodge repair facility that Nissan and Chevrolet were also experiencing the same problems. My truck was finally repaired and returned to me on the 29th Jan 2009.

- Grand Forks Afb, ND, USA

Oct 162008

Ram 1500

The electronic transfer case would not engage 4 wheel low. Then would not change to 2 wheel drive. Then when motor was turned off, it would not restart. It had to be towed to the nearest Dodge dealer. Tipm replaced, next time all wheel drive engaged, tipm burned out again. Towed to nearest dealer. They replace tipm again. Said they could not fix the transfer case. They were going out of business and said that I had to take to another dealer. I did, and they stated that Chrysler knew about the problem. I notified Chrysler by certified mail, pursuant to Iowa lemon law notification, email and phone. No response. It is now over 70 days, and numerous phone calls to customer service. I get promises of return phone calls within 48 hours which never are received after 70 days. Customer service will not relay regional service or sales managers phone numbers. They keep blaming the dealership, for not contacting them. Dealership states that their regional and service managers have left Chrysler. They give me the only phone number they have, and it has a voice mail stating that they are no longer with chyrsler. So I have had no return communication from Chrysler period. Total customer abandonment.

- Fairbank, IA, USA

Aug 162008

Ram 1500

4 wheel drive shifting/switching. Unable to shift between 4WD and 2wd. Visual indicator on electron switch changes status but vehicle is not in 4WD. Erratic behavior, four trips to dealer without resolution of problem. Dealer has reset electronic control but problem recurs. Chrysler contacted with no additional solutions. Vehicle operation is otherwise unaffected.

- Fulton, IL, USA