2008 Dodge Ram 1500 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Ram 1500:

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Mar 212013

Ram 1500

The wires in the wire bundles on the rear quad cab doors continue to break when opening the back doors overtime which causes the door locks, speaker, power windows, and alarm system not to function. This has now become a common problem on multiple year Dodge Ram trucks. The wire bundles should be recalled and fixed free of charge. This has happened to my vehicle twice now, and it is expensive to have the dealer fix the wires when you know they are going to break again. There should be a recall for this defect. Search youtube and find multiple videos on what causes this problem. Example videos here: 02 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab - broken rear power locks, speaker, window motor. www.youtube.com/watch"V=nbuajveytde 2007 Dodge Ram 3500 door wiring problem www.youtube.com/watch"V=les4wjxi_M0.

- Round Rock, TX, USA

Mar 242013

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Driving at a speed of 45 mph the truck--2008 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 hemi-- died. I had no power steering. I was able to shift into neutral and stop. Very thankful I was on a country lane and not on a freeway because there was no warning and I could have been in a horrible accident. The check gauges light icon was flashing as I tried to re-start it. It would crank but not start. After waiting for 15 minutes it did start up again. The engine icon light was showing and it said that an oil change was needed. The oil change wasn't due yet for another 1000 miles, or, two weeks on my three month schedule. I get the oil changed every three months. It tried to stall from then on as I accelerated from a stop, on my way to to the dealer. The diagnostic showed a code for the egr valve, which was replaced. This was fixed four days ago and so far so good, but am very anxious when I drive now, worrying that it might happen again, especially after seeing so many posts online with others experiencing the same problem with their Dodge Ram trucks.this truck has 35,300 miles on it. This truck was serviced six weeks before this incident with: A 16 cylinder hemi tune-up; a throttle body service, fuel induction flush and fuel system treatment; transmission service with filter change; machined front and rear rotors; and tire rotation.

- Richmond, TX, USA

Nov 022011

Ram 1500 8-cyl

When the wipers were turned on then off they "park" straight up. When it was brought to the dealer's attention they said the recall was already done in 2009 and they would charge to fix the wiper control module. They also charged to diagnose.

- Colfax, CA, USA

Jun 262011

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that after parking the vehicle, the rear passenger side power window switch caught on fire. The fire department was called and was able to extinguish the fire. The origin of the fire was declared to be the electrical switch. A fire report was filed. The vehicle was driven to the dealer who advised that they would contact the manufacturer to get approval for the repairs. The dealer was still waiting on the approval to proceed with repairs. The failure mileage was 39,000. Updated 09/07/2011

- Clifton Park, NY, USA

Jan 052011

Ram 1500

My 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 truck is having issues with the turn signals. My turn signals work 25% of the time and 50% of the time they do work, they activate the opposite side (wrong side) I am trying to select. I have visited many internet sites that discuss this problem, and I have found that this issue is a major safety problem that will lead to accidents. I feel this turn signal problem should lead to a Chrysler recall as it is a design defect.

- Hacienda Heights, CA, USA

Jun 252010

Ram 1500

2008 Dodge ran 1500. We were leaving from a parking lot. Turned on vehicle and it revved to high rpms. Tires peeled rubber, had foot on break. Had to shut off to get it to stop. Had it checked at dealership and they found nothing. This was very scary and something was indeed wrong. We are again driving this vehicle as it is the only one we have and we sure hope this does not happen again.

- Nice, CA, USA

Jun 242010

Ram 1500

When driving the truck gives no warning everything just shuts off and I loose all power. I can't steer the car or break very easy. This has happened to me now twice. It is very scary and my dealer who sold me the truck brand new said he has heard of this with the model I bought.

- San Angelo, TX, USA

Apr 292010

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500. While driving 35 mph, the contact turned on the left signal; however, the right signal came on instead. The vehicle had not been inspected or repaired when the complaint was filed. The contact wanted NHTSA to intervene as a third party mechanic. The VIN was unavailable. The current and failure mileages were approximately 22,000.

- Mechansville, MD, USA

Dec 012008

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Ram. While driving various speeds, the instrument panel gauges and lighting will flicker and the vehicle shuts off. Occasionally, the vehicle becomes very difficult to start. The most recent failure was noticed at 25 mph. The dealer replaced the control module at least five times, but the failure still persists. The contact feels that the vehicle is unsafe to drive and a crash could occur. The current mileage was 14,300 and failure mileage was 8,000.

- Elkton, MD, USA

Dec 201981

Ram 1500

Dec 15th internal modem malfunctioned replaced part Dec 18th Dec 20th locking clip malfunctioned causing vehicle to leave park and go into reverse.

- Fulton, KY, USA

Feb 042009

Ram 1500

While driving, gas pedal went to floor. RPM's 5000. Warning light ( electronic throttle control ) came on and remained on for the mile it took to get my truck to be back under control in order to stop. While in neutral, and in park, the tires continued to spin and RPM's remained constant. No correction was done by Chrysler/jupiter Dodge Mazda/ as per Chrysler they would be admitting liability because they cannot prove that this happened. I have driven the vehicle for the 2nd time today. It has not happened again although I am afraid if it did, there may be consequences that were unlike the first time. I was instructed by my owners manuel and the dealer service dept to have the truck towed through roadside assistance. The truck was towed to dealer on indiantown road in jupiter, Florida. Thank you.

- Jupiter, FL, USA

Jan 032009

Ram 1500

In extreme cold weather, the vehicle does not start. When turning the key to the start position, the engine will crank and stop, crank and stop. Even when allowing the key to snap back to the run position, it continues to crank and stop, crank and stop. This condition stops when turning the key to the off position. After 7 or 8 tries, the engine will eventually start and when the vehicle is warm, the condition cannot be duplicated. One note, after the cranking and stopping, if I turn the key to the off position and back to the run position, I hear clicking coming from the dash even before trying to start it again. Another issue is wind noise. Under windy conditions and at high speeds, I can hear wind escaping past the weatherstrip in both front doors. I brought it to the dealer and they told me it was a normal condition. As for the cold starting condition, I have an appointment with the dealer to have it inspected.

- Belleville, IL, USA

Dec 092008

Ram 1500

2008 Dodge Ram 1500, the tipm module has burned up once already and after being replaced twice now we are smelling a burning smell again, when this happens the vehicle will not shift into or out of 4X4 (depending on what it is in when it occurs) it also causes loss of engine power, the windshield wipers quit, the air bag warning light goes on, the headlights dim way down, all the lights on the dash start flickering and all warning lights light up. This is very dangerous if this happens while driving down the highway at night and it is snowing or raining (which happens alot here in Washington in the winter) the "fixes" the dealerships have done (two different places) have never lasted a day, we just got the vehicle back from repairs and we are again smelling a burning smell nd it is doing it all over again.

- Colville, WA, USA

Dec 092008

- Colville, WA, USA

Dec 082008

Ram 1500

I purchased the vehicle new and the first time I used the 4X4 auto the vehicle began to fail. It would stay in 4X4 for awhile then it would engage the 4X4 lock. I have had trouble getting it fixed because of a lack of supply of the required part. Also the windshield wipers went out and it was a 2 weeks before they could get that part in. I have not had any luck with the customer support at Dodge at all.

- Raymond, WA, USA

Jan 042009

Ram 1500

Lately I have been having problem starting my 2008 Dodge Ram 1500. The vehicle lights up like it's going to start, then when I turn the key over there's nothing. I have continued trying to crank the vehicle numerous times and after 10-20 min of waiting the vehicle starts like nothing was wrong. This has happened numerous times in the past. I wish I never bought this truck now.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Oct 232008

Ram 1500 6-cyl

I bought a new 2008 Dodge pick up 1500, with a V-6 manual transmission, 5 months later, with 7000 miles on the odometer, I was driving down a road at 45 mph, all the instrumentation flickered, then quit as well the engine quit, coasted to a stop on the side of the road, and there was a fire under the hood, called the fire department, they put the fire out. No one was hurt, but the vehicle is in bad shape, it has not been modified in any way, it is 100% the way Chrysler made it. Now, Chrysler has refused to warrant this problem, saying they can find "no indication of a manufacturing defect". this is so wrong, I am so upset, my truck has been sitting in their back lot for 7 weeks now, and they will not fix it, will not take any phone calls or anything, it is like they are an untouchable ghost.

- Aurora, CO, USA