2008 Dodge Ram 1500 miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Ram 1500:

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments

Feb 192015

Ram 1500

Was driving the truck when the back wheels locked up and slide across the road and hit one guard rail and bounced across and hit another. I was on the road coming around a curve when the wheels locked up..

- Akron, OH, USA

Jun 012016

Ram 1500

Recently my 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab started locking up as if I was slamming on my brakes when I was driving and not touching my brakes. This would happen whenever I was driving 60mph or greater on any kind of road going in a straight line. I had the brake lines flushed and new brake fluid put in along with cleaning out the rear differential and putting in expensive synthetic oil and still no change. I've called Dodge corporate about this and they said they couldn't do anything because there is no recall on the books about this. I did some research and found out that there have been a lot of complaints about this same thing happening to other Dodge Ram 1500 truck years. I had my mechanic put the Dodge computer on it and it showed no codes. He has no clue about what to do. Neither do I.

- Bradenton, FL, USA

May 012012

Ram 1500

If truck has a full tank of gas, it will stall if slowing down or coming to a halt. If it is full, and you are driving down interstate, it seems to be fine, as you exit the interstate and come to a light or stop, it will stall and you have to restart. Only happens if a full tank. No Dodge shops can answer why. Numerous you tube videos on this issue with no answers from the experts. My only child drives this vehicle, so yes, I am concerned about this and worry that this may worsen and lead to stalling on the interstate at a high rate of speed, say 70 versus 40 and slower. Bought vehicle in 2012 and it continues to this day. Needless to say, we never fill up this truck. My dates on here are not precise. Truck was bought March of 2012 with about 85K miles. This problem continues to this date. You might want to enter this problem on youtube and see what you get. Very interesting.

- Vebena, AL, USA

Feb 052016

Ram 1500

The brakes on our 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 failed on 2/5/2016. As I was in motion headed straight when the truck's brakes failed and I hit the vehicle in front of me. I was traveling straight on a city street about 20-30 mph when I lost the use of the brakes. The truck kept traveling forward about 50 yards after I hit the other vehicle and I wasn't sure how I was going to stop the moving truck when I remembered to use the emergency brake. The vehicle stopped after that in the center turn lane and I remained there until the police arrived. When the officer arrived I explained to him that the brakes on the truck failed even after I had been running errands and picked up lunch just minutes before the accident. A police report was made and I took pictures of the brake pedal and internal brake components immediately after the accident. The brakes were shown to the responding police officer and the person in the other vehicle I had hit. I also reported the faulty brakes to our insurance company. I can provide a copy of the police report once it's available in 24-48 business hours. I believe the 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 truck was built with an improperly formed or faulty brake booster input rod retaining clip which caused improper service brakes and/or hydraulics.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Aug 012015

Ram 1500

Vibration and bouncing- wobble feeling with loose steering at speeds 55-70, from front wheels through steering wheel. Tires have been re-balanced several times as the possible cause but truck continues to have vibrations in front wheels at speeds 55 or higher. Continual brake noise, rattling sounds at all speeds after brakes have been applied 2-3 times under normal traffic conditions.

- Ossining, NY, USA

Sep 052015

Ram 1500

The rear axel is having issues. I believe the mechanic said it was because a broken pinion in rear axel. My Ram is a 2008 made in June of 2008 and I know for a fact doge has recalled the 2009 for same reason but for some reason mine iisnt

- New Haven, KY, USA

Sep 022015

Ram 1500

The truck started to make scraping noise and intensified in about 2 miles of driving a loud grinding noise with vibration sounding like a eco inside the cabin faster you go louder it gets then while in motion the truck made a louder sound and felt like the truck move back for 2 seconds and keep then moving foward still the loud noise I toke it to a mechanic shop to be check and the owner told me that the differential oil has metal on it like a metal was loose inside I told him to stop so I can check for recalls and call the dealer online they show that this kind of issues happen before and that the tires can lock and cause an accident or put someone in danger pedestrian passenger or driver is a recall from Chrysler about this issue but I will contact the dealer for more information I been inside the forums online and is a lot of people with this same problem I hope this recall come thru to all those Dodge Ram 1500 buyers like

- Miami, FL, USA

Jun 152015

Ram 1500

Check engine light came on. Mechanic changed gas cap, did not fix. Pressure test - gas tank leaking on top. Replaced gas tank on 8/10/2015. We kept the tank just in case someone wanted to inspect it.

- Canterbury, CT, USA

Jul 072014

Ram 1500

While driving at highway speeds the front end wants to pull to the left and right when going over a bump in the road. The steering wheel does not pull it feels like the wheels turning. I have had the alinement checked and had new tires put on. Still have the same trouble

- Lancaster , OH, USA

Jan 142015

Ram 1500

Had new tires and ball joint replaced and truck lined up 3 times and still shakes in front end. Turn steering wheel all way left and front end skips on pavement.

- Cape Coral , FL, USA

Jan 012015

Ram 1500

I do not have a particular incident to report but I have noticed a popping noise whenever I turn my wheel slightly at a slow speed and when I try to make tight turns it sounds like something could be grinding or sheering against some steering components. The noises and grinding that I am hearing sounds like something could be breaking or sheering off and although nothing has broken off yet, I do not know if the integrity of whatever parts are being effected are becoming weaker each time I have this issue so I am concerned.

- Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Jan 012015

Ram 1500

Excessive rust on nuts and bolts to master cylinder, power steering components, engine parts and nuts, frame. Safety issue if parts were to brake while driving. I have been noticing for a period of time and just keeping an eye on.

- Pacifica, CA, USA

Aug 242013

Ram 1500

I was driving in the middle lane of traffic at 70 mph when my 4wl lite flashed, I heard a loud bang and my truck jerked violently, I thought I had been rear ended. My truck immediately slowed down to 30mph right after the loud noise. I then had to get across two lanes of speeding freeway traffic to avoid an accident or worse. After I made it to the shoulder of the road and calmed my nerves, I did damage assessment and discovered that my truck had shifted itself into four wheel low at 70 mph. I limped my truck home, stuck in four wheel low, called a tow truck and took it to my Dodge dealer. Almost two years later and numerous trips back to various dealerships to get this warranty work fixed, and out thousands of dollars the problem has never been fixed and Chrysler considers the case closed. I'm afraid now after this incident to take my truck on the freeway as I feel it is not safe for me or the drivers around me. Next time I may not be so lucky.

- Caledonia, WI, USA

No heat in floor

- Washington, DC, USA

Sep 102009

Ram 1500 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500. The hook that secures the drivers floor mat to the floor fractured. As a consequence, the floor mat moved under the accelerator pedal. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, and a technician stated that he would have to pay $900 to replace the floor mat clip. No repairs were made. He was in the process of notifying the manufacturer. The vehicle identification number was unavailable. The failure mileage was 23,000 and the current mileage is 24,000. Updated 11/06/09 updated 11/09/09

- Miami, FL, USA

Feb 042009

Ram 1500

While driving, gas pedal went to floor. RPM's 5000. Warning light ( electronic throttle control ) came on and remained on for the mile it took to get my truck to be back under control in order to stop. While in neutral, and in park, the tires continued to spin and RPM's remained constant. No correction was done by Chrysler/jupiter Dodge Mazda/ as per Chrysler they would be admitting liability because they cannot prove that this happened. I have driven the vehicle for the 2nd time today. It has not happened again although I am afraid if it did, there may be consequences that were unlike the first time. I was instructed by my owners manuel and the dealer service dept to have the truck towed through roadside assistance. The truck was towed to dealer on indiantown road in jupiter, Florida. Thank you.

- Jupiter, FL, USA