2008 Dodge Ram 1500 suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Ram 1500:

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 012009

Ram 1500

It first started as severe shaking whenever I hit a bump, especially on an curve. The truck would hop and shake and become uncontrollable until I slowed. This still happens but now I also get an uncontrollable wobble whenever I drive at highway speed and there is any kind of incline or bend in the road. Only fix is to slow down significantly.. it's dangerous! I've become trained to deal with it but it's certainly unsafe and I always worry that it will happen on a slick road and I won't be able to hold it on the road. I've replaced tires, aligned, balanced, road force balanced and nothing fixes it!

- Miami, FL, USA

Apr 252016

Ram 1500

Vibration and bouncing- wobble feeling with loose steering at speeds 55-70, from front wheels through steering wheel. Tires have been re-balanced several times as the possible cause but truck continues to have vibrations in front wheels at speeds 55 or higher. Continual brake noise, rattling sounds at all speeds after brakes have been applied 2-3 times under normal traffic conditions.

- Romulus, MI, USA

Apr 052016

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 30 mph, there was an abnormal noise emerging from the front driver side of the vehicle. The contact depressed the brake pedal then the vehicle started shaking and the noise became severe. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the bolt joint and tie rod needed replacement. The contact drove the vehicle to an independent mechanic where the diagnosis results from the dealer were confirmed. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure occurred on five occasions. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 115,000.

- Bloomington, IL, USA

May 302014

Ram 1500

Dodge Ram 2008 quad cab 1500 series. At the time I called into Dodge I had roughly 60 thousand miles on my truck. I contacted Dodge in 2014 and they told me although that was the model and series that was part of a recall that my particular VIN was not eligible for a recall. The problems I had endured were swaying of the truck almost to the extent where the tire felt like it was wobbling and the truck shaking when I excellerated over 50 mphs. It was at that time when I took a road trip for memorial day weekend 2014 when this started getting progressively worse and I pretty much had to drive 40 miles an hour the I75 freeway because the car felt like it was going to flip over when I was excellerating. It was right there after that I contacted Dodge to make a complaint and they told me although I had the year and make of the Ram but my particular VIN was not eligible for any recall. So there after I had to replace my tie rods and the sway bar at my own expense and also replace my tires not too long after that which were new from the dealer when I bought it used in 2011. My biggest fear was the vehicle that was the safest of the 2 my family owns was now a risk to my children, my spouse and I. I also had fellow vacationers in the vehicle with me which witnessed the vehicle shaking obsessively when we were accelerating.

- Roseville, MI, USA

May 172013

Ram 1500

I was just notified for a problem with my air bag. I had another recall about my gas filler tube, repaired by Dodge. I was not notified about any of the front suspension recalls or problems with the wheel bearing. This part failed about two years ago and I had it replaced but never received a recall. I still have the original wheel bearing part that was given me at replacement. What is going on" is my front end going to fail while my family is driving it" I only have 89,000 miles on my truck. I would like an answer.

- Manchester, MI, USA

Sep 042015

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500. While attempting to accelerate the vehicle from a stop, there was an abnormal pop sound from the rear of the vehicle. Also, while driving approximately 35 mph, there was a vibrating motion. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 140,000.

- New Haven , KY, USA

Aug 012013

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

I was never notified of recalls and 2013 I had tie rod put on and the dealership charged me for the tie rods. These have been recalled my truck should be in buy back program my wife is afraid to drive it with the recalls......updated 08/18/15 according to the VIN, this vehicle is a 2008 model.

- Ashtabula, OH, USA

Aug 062015

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that the vehicle was shaking and vibrating in the rear. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was not available.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jan 302015

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500. While driving approximately 55 mph, the steering veered to the right independently. The contact crashed into a ditch, but the air bags failed to deploy. The contact sustained nose and head injuries that did not require medical attention. The vehicle sustained extensive front end damage. A police report was filed. The vehicle was diagnosed with a suspension fracture and the vehicle was repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V313000 (air bags), but the failure previously occurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 77,000.

- Mount Orab, OH, USA

Jul 072014

Ram 1500

While driving at highway speeds the front end wants to pull to the left and right when going over a bump in the road. The steering wheel does not pull it feels like the wheels turning. I have had the alinement checked and had new tires put on. Still have the same trouble

- Lancaster , OH, USA

Jul 012014

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500. While driving over 45 mph, the front end of the vehicle and the steering wheel started to shake and vibrate violently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who was unable to diagnose the cause of the failure. The manufacturer was not notified. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- Pylesville, MD, USA

May 132015

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500. While driving approximately 60 mph, the steering wheel failed to turn. The contact had to drive the vehicle slower because the steering wheel failed to respond on multiple occasions. The contact also noticed when the brakes were depressed, the rear suspension seemed loose. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for alignment. The technician diagnosed that the suspension was loose, the steering needed to be aligned and the rear shocks were leaking. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 49,000.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Jan 012015

Ram 1500

I do not have a particular incident to report but I have noticed a popping noise whenever I turn my wheel slightly at a slow speed and when I try to make tight turns it sounds like something could be grinding or sheering against some steering components. The noises and grinding that I am hearing sounds like something could be breaking or sheering off and although nothing has broken off yet, I do not know if the integrity of whatever parts are being effected are becoming weaker each time I have this issue so I am concerned.

- Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Sep 112013

Ram 1500

While traveling on I95, and this is not the first or only time it has happened, the front of the truck started shaking violently. It was shaking so much that the cars around me could see that it was happening. There is a very good potential that if I had not had a good control of the steering wheel that I could have lost control.

- Ormond Beach, FL, USA

Jul 272014

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph, the front driver side axle and wheels became fractured. The vehicle was towed to an impound lot but was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 67,000.

- Shreveport, LA, USA

Nov 042013

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Noticed vehicle constantly pulling to the left and took it in to find out the alignment was out ever since this date about every three months I have had to realign the vehicle because it pulls to the left.

- Turlock, CA, USA

Jun 042014

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Turning right out of a parking spot there was a loud snap and then a lot of grinding. Upon inspection the wheel bearing hub assembly had broken and damaged the steering knuckle. There are tsbs that indicate there may be a problem in the front left suspension.

- Plainfield, IL, USA

Oct 172013

Ram 1500 8-cyl

While driving at 75 mph, the issue became apparent as entry into a curve began. The steering of the vehicle (2008 Dodge Ram quad cab 1500) became less responsive with a great amount of vibration. As the curve in the road straightened out a loud pop came from driver side front and rear axle areas. Witch also created a large uncontrollable body roll and sway. Howling noise is greatly apparent at higher speeds. With this issue the vehicle feels un-solid and constant body roll feels as if you were traveling on a boat. Many items recalled on other Dodge vehicles during same year, but not on the vehicle in question, have the ability to case the same issues. This could create a tragic and catastrophic loss of life in the vehicle of failed parts or the family next to them on the road. "drive safe, because today could be the day you save your family's life".

- Slaton , TX, USA

Aug 222008

Ram 1500

After speaking to several 2008 Dodge Ram owners (on Dodge forum & face to face) we all have the same concerns with this vehicle. There is a severe handling issue at highway speeds that causes an uncontrollable rear suspension hop. This in turn results in severe handling issues that have led in some cases to spin outs and fishtailing. The newer Dodge Ram models are equipped with sway bars or anti sway bars so it shows that the engineers recognized the problem. I've spent numerous dollars and time having the tires balanced, rotated and rims checked as well as buying new tires in trying to eliminate this dangerous condition.

- Belleville, NJ, USA

May 072012

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

There is a safety recall on certain Dodge Ram tie rods (recall #L16) but for some reason my VIN was not included in this recall. Sure enough the tie rod was near failing and I had it replaced before a catastrophic failure could occur. Why was my VIN left off of this recall? the signs and conditions of my faulty tie rod are identical to all of the documented failures.

- Chesterfield, MI, USA