2009 Dodge Ram 1500 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Dodge Ram 1500:

2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jan 252016

Ram 1500

During a trip in January the vehicle began to uncontrollably wobble and I had to reduce speed to gain control, had some steering parts replaced which improved the ride but still had issues so I replaced the struts, springs and shocks but a slight wobble is still there at acceleration and deceleration and upon hitting bumps, its a little scary. It happens typically over 30 miles per hour and at one point about every 10 minutes on the interstate

- Brookeville, MD, USA

Apr 132015

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500. While driving approximately 55 mph, the front end of the vehicle shook violently without warning. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering gears and pitman arm needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 65,000.

- Saugerties, NY, USA

Sep 291947

Ram 1500

Takata recall my 2009 Dodge Ram at 45to70 mph when crossing abridge or hitting a small bump with either left or right tire my vehicle will jump to that side of the road ive had it to the Chrysler dealer, they said that nothing in loose or worn and hanent had any problems except with the 2500and3500rams doing these things, I love my Dodge but im afraid its going to jump over into incoming traffic and hurt me or some one else.what can I do?

- Hickory, NC, USA

Nov 202014

Ram 1500

Vehicle ducks upon going over ruff spots momentarily loosing control in the road, but drives fine over smooth surfaces

- Shreveport, LA, USA

Oct 152015

Ram 1500

The steering shaft/intermediate shaft joints become very loose and allow for excessive play in the steering system. Vehicle drives ok up to 55 but reaching highway speed, periods of erratic wheel play/wobble are experienced and steering is greatly compromised. I have looked online and the replacement components are a dealer only item. I searched the dealer parts online and there is no listing for replacement parts although it is shown in the exploded diagram on the mopar parts site.

- Metamora,, MI, USA

Dec 152014

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that while driving approximately 70 mph and accelerating, the vehicle veered to the left and right. The failure occurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was informed that the vehicle was functioning as designed. The approximate failure mileage was 107,000.

- College Station, TX, USA

Jul 032015

Ram 1500

When we first bought our truck back in May 2014 my husband and I fell in love with our new truck, we took excellent care of the maint. In July we started noticing it felt more loose you could say and we were confused as to why it was like that we up until now thought the dealership had sold us a lemon bc in a year we spent over 2000 trying to prove they sold us a lemon but couldn't prove it until now we travel a lot due to work but in 2 months we knew knew we shouldn't have had to repair this much stuff on a new truck we had always thought working in North and South Dakota that these should have been called the windy cities. But the car was still all over the place even when there was no wind we bought tires we did alignment after alignment including having another 23 point inspection done again we also took it on one occasion which was July 4, 2014 and it was so bad that we took it to Goodyear in Wisconsin and and the left front passenger hub assembly had falling into two pieces remind you we bought this vehicle May 24, 2014 we replaced everything that went wrong and now I'm beyond afraid to get in the truck that I used to love especially since North and South Dakota just raised the speed limit to 80. In high winds.

- Osawatomie , KS, USA

Sep 012014

Ram 1500

This vehicle was bought used at a certified dealership, could not drive a fast speed for testing do to traffic and weather conditions. Upon driving the vehicle home noticed excessive vibration (rear end shakes and front end shakes) on turns on the highway at various speeds from 60 to 70 and even at 80 steering wheel shakes as much as the vehicle did. My wife and I thought it was tires being out of balanced. We got new tires and life time balance thinking it would fix the problem, but it did not. Vibrations comes and goes but mainly comes on when making turns on highway either left turns or right turns. Notice a lost of control when hitting even a little bump at high speeds as well. We then received the recall letter for the retaining nut on the rear end to be replaced. I would think this is related and may be it would fix the vibration problem, but it did not, vibrations are still there at high speeds. Even brought it back to have the tires re-balanced but problem still exist. This is on a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 laramie quad cab. I don't know if this pertains to the recalls or am I eligible for the buy back programs. We have put too much money into it and problem still exist and no one knows what the cause is.

- Sissonville, WV, USA

Jun 082015

Ram 1500

I just heard the news on the Dodge Ram buyback so I decided to check mine for open recalls and none were shown. My incident happened while I was turning into a gas station and as I was turning my steering wheel completely locked up which caused me to run into two concrete polls. Over six thousand dollars worth of damage occurred. I love Dodge Ram! I've owned seven since 2004. Just wanted to report just in case this problem has happened before.

- Haughton, LA, USA

Jan 012015

Ram 1500

While vehicle was in motion on the highway. The vehicle just shut off. I had to pull over with out any power to the side of the road and restart vehicle. This not only happened once but 2 time with in same month but different days. I called manufacture and was told to just make sure I keep up with oil changes. Now there is a major recall on certain trucks but main is not included but it should be and I want the matter looked after please

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Mar 272015

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2012 (na) Dodge Ram 1500. While driving approximately 50 mph and attempting to turn left, the steering wheel continuously steered to the right causing the vehicle to jerk. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer or independent mechanic. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Whitehall, PA, USA

Jul 132015

Ram 1500

The contact owned a 2010 (na) Dodge Ram 1500. While driving approximately 20 mph, the steering wheel seized. The contact was unable to regain control and crashed into a wooded area. The vehicle was destroyed. A police report was filed and there were no injuries. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- Bethpage, NY, USA

Jun 182014

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2012 (na) Dodge Ram 1500. While driving at approximately 45 mph, the contact lost control of the steering wheel. This was a recurring failure. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 24,000.

- Marietta, SC, USA

Mar 212013

Ram 1500 8-cyl

I have been informing gulfgate Dodge Chrysler Jeep Inc 7550 gulf freeway houston, tx 77017 (281)477-6767. Of the recall on the rear axle pinion since 2013 and we as of today haven gotten it taken care up. No one has call to follow up. We have been calling them all we receive is we will call when we get some in. I will be keeping this as a record of complaint in my files. If the vehicle gets damage and the cause is of the part not being replace with be a huge issue with us. I will not in the future buy any other vehicle from gulfgate Dodge nor will I refer them to anyone.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jan 062014

Ram 1500 8-cyl

I received a safety recall notice about January 6, 2014 for our 2009 Dodge Ram 1500. Recall number N49 / NHTSA 13V-529. I have called the local Dodge dealer monthly since that time (bergstrom automotive, kaukauna, wi 54130, and they tell me that they don't have the parts for the repair. I need to wait for a second notice. What is the status of this recall?

- Kaukauna, WI, USA

Aug 222013

Ram 1500

When is our local dealer going to get the recall part-pinion nut"????" this is ridiculous! lives are on the line!!!!

- Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Aug 162013

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Safety recall N08/NHTSA 13V-038 issued 2/13. Letter received that 'parts required to provide a permanent remedy for this condition are currently unavailable. Chrysler will contact you again by mail, witha follow up recall notice when remedy parts are available.' Continued to call dealer and continuously told parts have not been recieved yet. In May 2013, had dealer confirm rear axle pinion nut was tight (they still did not have parts to fix recall). Have in writing that nut was tight and all was fine. Aug. 16, 2013, the nut fails and driveshaft snaps free (gears sheared off). Lost complete control of vehicle due to rear wheels locking. Luckily had just exited rt 80 on to side road. Dealer confirmed all due to pinion nut failure. Dealer ordered all new parts to rebuild truck. When asked if this will render the recall 'fixed' he says no. We still have to get the recall pinion nut fixed on the new part. But there is no fix!! so they are basically placing my family in a death trap again. Who is going to stop the blatant negligence at this point" isn't this site for the protection of the people" help us! this isn't a hot spilled cup of coffee. This is not a frivolous request.

- Randolph, NJ, USA

Jul 072012

Ram 1500 8-cyl

While driving with my wife at a speed of about 45 mph my axle fell out of my 2009 Dodge Ram. We lost all control of the vehicle and were stuck in the street while awaiting a tow truck. This was caused due to my pinion nut coming off.I took the vehicle to Dodge and I ask if there was a recall on theses trucks, they told me there was no recall. I had the repairs done which cost me $1898.66. I recently found out that they had in fact did a recall recently. I wrote to Chrysler as I was directed.I received a phone call today 11/01/2012 and they informed me that my truck was not included in the recall because it was not manufactured between 07/01/09 30/11/09. Mine was manufactured in Dec of 08. Please somebody help me !! I know that im not gonna be the only one complaining about this.

- Belmont, NC, USA

Jul 272012

Ram 1500 8-cyl

I am requesting the NHTSA explore the power train issues affecting the 2009 Dodge Ram 1500. Driver was on highway driving at 60mph when truck starting making a whining and grinding sound which continued for about 1 mile before truck started to run funny. Driver slowed down and moved to the right lane when there was a big bang and a cloud of black smoke came from back end of truck. At the same time the rear end of the vehicle locked up and truck went skidding off the road. When driver examined car found that the entire drive shaft rod and transfer case were laying underneath of vehicle along with multiple other pieces of hardware. The transmission was also locked up and unable to release even in the neutral position. When the Dodge dealer looked into the incident they stated a " pin fell out of the drive shaft and backed up into the rear causing the pin to jam the transfer case". this incident resulted in a complete rebuild of the entire power train system. We would like to see a guide rail made mandatory for Dodge vehicles as this rod fallout could have resulted in a flipped vehicle. Furthermore less than 4 weeks later while driving same vehicle at 15 mph the truck started to shake violently and had to be towed because of a shredded bolt in the rear stabilizer bar that connects the rear to the axle. Vehicle once again to dealer who claims it is all due to the initial issue.

- Horsham, PA, USA

May 012012

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Ram. The contact stated that while driving, the vehicle began to shake. The check engine warning light and the service needed warning light was illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer however the failure was not determined. The dealer replaced the rear driver side rim, the rear and front driver and passenger side tires, and a replacement related to the rear axle however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure however no further assistance was provided. The VIN was unavailable.the current mileage was 83,000. The failure mileage was 78,000.

- Natalbany, LA, USA