2010 Dodge Ram 1500 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Dodge Ram 1500:

2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 8)

Apr 172013

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that she received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V038000 (power train ) in April of 2013. The contact attempted to get the vehicle repaired on several occasions but the dealer stated that the pars were unavailable. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Leighton, CA, USA

Aug 152013

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

We were going 70 mph, in the left lane passing a semi-truck, towing our boat in traffic when we heard a loud noise & started seeing parts coming out from underneath our vehicle. The vehicle became uncontrollable, but between the two of us, we were able to get to the right side of the road, but still blocking traffic in the right lane. A park Ranger came behind us, put on his flashers to warn traffic behind us & an incident response truck also came. They were able to pull us about a half block to a spot in the road where we were no longer blocking traffic. A tow truck came & took us 50 miles to ellensburg, wa where our truck was repaired under warranty at university auto center. We had received a safety recall notice (N08/NHTSA 13V-038) several months prior to the incident, but with every service at our local Dodge dealer we were told that the parts were not yet available & not to worry that no problems had occurred yet. We were without our vehicle for 15 days. It has been repaired, but we are nervous about driving it. We have been told by several that the outcome could have been way more serious including fatal if we were not towing our boat. The weight of the boat held us down. We are faithful Dodge customers, so will be contacting them direct to relay all of this information to them in our words. It was a very scary experience & we feel that the Chrysler corporation needs to compensate us. In August while driving on the freeway, pulling a boat, the gears started falling from the rear end and the consumer was all over the highway, as a result of the recall not being performed. All four wheels locked up due to the dribbling breaking the transfer case. The consumer has since purchased another vehicle. Updated 12/11/13

- Mukilteo, WA, USA

Sep 212013

Ram 1500

Driving on freeway truck started making a humming noise was going 65mph, heard loud bang lost power, luckily could pull to the right shoulder between medium and freeway and access road. Looked underneath truck and noticed oil leak underneath differential and gear shaft. Gear shaft was not attached to powertrain. Called my local dealer he gave me the 1800 number for roadside assistance, instructed me to tell the wrecker to take truck to dealer. Since it was late left truck at dealer

- San Antonio , TX, USA

Dec 012012

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that NHTSA campaign number 13V038000 (power train) had exceeded a reasonable time for repair. The manufacturer advised the contact the part was not available and they did not know when the part would become available. The contact did not experience a failure. The recall letter was received December 2012. The approximate failure mileage was 32,000 and the current mileage was 41,000.

- Green Bay , WI, USA

Sep 162013

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V038000 (power train) in the mail and stated that the dealer informed him that the parts were not available for the repair. The manufacturer was notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Mathuen, MA, USA

Jun 152013

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that he received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 12V474000 (power train). The contact was informed that the parts were unavailable. The vehicle was not inspected or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 35,000.

- Brooklyn Heights, OH, USA

Oct 302012

Ram 1500 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V038000 (power train). The contact was informed that the parts were unavailable. The vehicle was not inspected or repaired. The manufacture was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Updated 10/17/13 the consumer stated the vehicle has no power going up a bridge or going in reverse. There is a clicking sound.

- Sarasota , FL, USA

Sep 112013

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated while driving 45 mph, the drive shaft completely separated from the rear axle with no warning. The contact also mentioned that because of the failure, more damage occurred to the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The mechanic stated that the drive shaft had to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 58,000.

- Bartlett, IL, USA

Feb 122013

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated there was a recall associated NHTSA campaign id number 13V038000 (power train) but the part was unavailable. The manufacturer was notified and they were unable to provide an expected date for the part. The contact had not experienced any failures.

- Elwood, IL, USA

Apr 012013

Ram 1500 8-cyl

I purchased a 2010 Dodge Ram 1500(hemi) for the purpose of pulling a travel trailer after I retired. Approximately 4-5 months ago I received a "recall" due to a problem in assembly with the rear axle pinion nut being built without an adhesive patch on the pinion nut threads. I am now told I can not pull any type of trailer and that it may be many months before Chrysler/Dodge will have the parts to correct this problem. The dealer where I purchased the vehicle states that Chrysler is not concerned with correcting this problem in a timely fashion. I contacted Chrysler and received an answer that it will be months before the parts are available, "if then." Due to this problem with the vehicle, my retirement travel plans have been put on hold, waiting on Chrysler/Dodge to correct the problem with the vehicle, which I bought in good faith from a dealer locally. This lack of concern by the dealership and Chrysler/Dodge is totally unacceptable. It is beyond comprehension why it should take "many months" to obtain an "adhesive patch" to correct their error in manufacturing this vehicle.

- Denham Springs, LA, USA

Aug 312013

Ram 1500

M34 recall - we brought the car to dealer April 2013 and they could not fix the recall yet (we have this documented - "as per tech not in effect yet"). on 8/31 we were on northern state parkway (eastbound) around 8pm when the car failed - very loud noise, loss of vehicle control, hit a curb and barely exited the parkway at route 110 exit. Vehicle could not move and realized the drive shaft came off and a passing car hit the drive shaft, several cars had to swerve around it, the car fluid leaking, etc. We had to call aaa and arrange a tow truck ($181.95 paid up front), arrange transportation for our 12 year old daughter who was in the car at the time of the incident and my wife and I were transported by the tow truck. This ordeal took 2 hours. We arranged for dealer to tow the car on 9/4 - smith haven Chrysler Jeep Dodge, saint james, NY. The dealer has informed us that can repair the damage caused by the rear locking up and the drive shaft coming lose, but they do not have the part to fix the M34 recall. I opened case #23907979 with Chrysler 9/5. I am getting conflicting information since Chrysler representative informs me that the parts are available cbakm343aa, cbakm344aa, cbakm345aa, cbakm346aa but will "take a while" to get and that the dealer can only order/recieve one of the four parts at a time. This does not make sense to me. However, the smith haven dealer and NHTSA records (reference # 565888) indicate the parts to fix M34 are not available. Therefore, I am getting conflicting information regarding the ability to address the recall while the dealer is in the process of repairing the damages and returning the vehicle with the recall issue unaddressed and my family and I are facing a repeat of a potentially dangerous failure at any time in the future.

- East Northport, NY, USA

Jan 012013

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Rear axle pinion nut recall - known to cause accidents upon failure - 4 cases already. Manufacturer acknowledged the safety recall in January 2013 and sent out safety recall notices to all consumers that the recall affects. I have called the local dealerships numerous times regarding the recall and they simply say that the parts are not available. Nine months after the recall notice distribution I contacted Dodge corporate to find out why the parts are not available and they state that Dodge has failed to secure a vendor to supply the product. This concerns me a great deal that Dodge puts the consumer in danger by not being responsible and making the repairs needed. This recalled part can cause a driver to lose control of their vehicle and injure themselves as well as others.

- Shreveport, LA, USA

Aug 092013

Ram 1500

I was driving down a major interstate highway in a construction zone (down to 2 lanes, concrete barricades on either side) when I started hearing loud grinding noises coming from under my truck. I couldn't pull off the road because there was no shoulder and the nearest exit was at least a quarter mile ahead so I was driving toward the exit when there was a loud pop, lots of smoke, and my vehicle skidded to a stop. Nearby vehicles narrowly missed colliding with me due to the smoke and the sudden stop and the fact that my drive shaft had come flying out behind me. As it turns out the rear differential had completely locked up (due to N08 rear axle pinion nut issue) and the torque had popped my drive shaft completely loose and left a massive crack in my transfer case. I had been to my local dealership less than two weeks before the incident but they did not provide the necessary repairs because Chrysler has still not made the correct parts available. Chryler has been aware of this issue for over a year but still does not have the correct parts available to remedy the problem, which results in catastrophic failure and loss of vehicle control at high speeds.

- Elgin, IL, USA

May 012013

Ram 1500 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that NHTSA campaign number 13V038000 (power train) had exceeded a reasonable time for repair. The vehicle did not experience the failure however, the recall letter was received in May 2013. The dealer advised that the part was not available for repair. The vehicle was not repaired.....updated 10-21-13 the consumer stated after seven months, the parts were still not available. Update 10/23/13

- Santa Fe , TX, USA

Aug 262013

Ram 1500 8-cyl

We received a re-call (N08/NHTSA 13V-038) on our 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 truck several months ago. Every time I call to check the status, I am told that there is still no remedy for the situation and a follow-up re-call notice will be sent when a remedy is available. This is the rear axle pinion nut and I won't go into detail as to what is says could happen as I am sure you are well aware already. I believe that if customers had to be given a safer vehicle to drive while awaiting repairs for the ones they are paying for that a remedy would probably come a lot quicker. I actually believe that dealers should be made to provide alternate transportation at no cost to the consumer. I cannot fathom it taking this long to remedy this situation knowing the damage it could cause. Something really should be done about the length of time this is taking. Thank you for your time. I would appreciate any positive feedback on this.

- El Dorado, AR, USA

Jan 012013

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Received safety recall N08/NHTSA 13V-038 in early spring 2013. Parts were not available and the promised follow-up recall has yet to be received. The recall indicates failure could result in a crash putting my family at constant risk. This is entirely too long and indicates Chrysler apathy towards their consumers and their safety, regardless of the rhetoric in their safety recall notices.

- Conroe, TX, USA

Aug 222013

Ram 1500 8-cyl

I owns a 2010 Dodge Ram 1500. I have attempted to have the vehicle repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 13V038000 (power train) but was informed that the parts were not available and that he would be contacted when the parts were to become available. I feel that since the failure was reported in February of 2013, there should have been a remedy available. The recall stated that the expected date to begin servicing vehicles was during may of 2013 and it is currently late August of 2013. The current mileage is 24,000 and I am uncomfortable driving the vehicle for any distance, but will be forced to take it cross country in the near future. I have called Chrysler repeatedly and have been told it's a parts supplier problem, they are changing suppliers, it will now be 3-4 weeks....one excuse after another. Yesterday I called again and was advised to take the truck to a dealer and have them check the pinion nut to see if it was loose. I did so, it was not loose, and I was told "it should be ok" for the trip, but no guarantee. This is rotten way to do business. There is no failure yet.

- Latham, NY, USA

Jul 012013

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Notified of the recall about 2 months ago. Called expressway Dodge, they said there wasn't one. The first of July 2013 received formal notice in mail. Called expressway Dodge to find out if the part was in stock, if so to set up an appointment. Iheld on the line for the stock clerck to check for the part, he came back and said yes they had the part, I made an appointment and took my truck to have it checked. No part, they didn't even offer to inspect my truck to see if it needed the said part. Very dissapointed

- Evansville, IN, USA

Aug 222013

Ram 1500 8-cyl

While traveling down a 2 lane paved road at approx. 55 mph, a humming sound could be heard from under the vehicle upon releasing the accelerator. The hum increased in intensity very quickly, resulting in a large bang and near loss of control less than 1 minute after first hearing the sound. I would later learn that the rear-axle pinion nut had detached, resulting in the rear wheels locking and having the side-effect of dropping the driveshaft onto the ground. I had just gotten off of the highway a few minutes before, and if this had happened 1 minute sooner or 1 minute later, I would have most certainly lost control at higher speeds and other vehicles would have been involved, or in the case of happening 1 minute later I would have re-entered a dense high-speed traffic area and the chances of involving other vehicles would have risen significantly. Fortunately, for that brief stretch of road, I was the only vehicle within a few hundred yards, granting me the ability to regain control and get off the road at a safe turn-off, that happened to be the only turn-off in the area. To sum up my experiences, if this event had occurred at any other location during my commute, it would have turned out much worse, and it just so happened that this was the perfect spot as I did not hit any other vehicles and was able to pull off the road safely. It turns out that there is a recall for this exact component, but I had not been informed by mail or by my local dealer when I asked them about any open recalls barely a month before when periodic maintenance was performed. They did not show anything in their system and my vehicle remained 'officially roadworthy' until this incident. This is distressing, as my wife could have been driving or I could have had passengers.

- Apo, AE, USA

Aug 192013

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign id number: 13V03800 (power train). The contact contacted the dealer and was advised that the part needed for the repair was unavailable and there was no time frame given for when the part would become available. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Tempe , AZ, USA