2010 Dodge Ram 1500 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Dodge Ram 1500:

2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 7 of 8)

Sep 202012

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

I have contacted Dodge 5 times to have them replace my transmission and differential as they are not working properly. They don't shift when necessary, they don't engage when needed and as a result I have almost been in 2 accidents. The first happened a few weeks ago when after they had failed to detect any problems while my truck was in for service and my complaint that the transmission and differential were not working properly, the drive shaft actually fell off the truck while it was in motion and the bolt holding the U-joint for the drive shaft shot into the differential resulting in the rear wheels locking up. I was in the midst of traffic when this happened and 2 cars swerved to miss me. I had it towed to the dealer, and the replaced the drive shaft and a couple pieces in the differential, but didn't address the transmission issue and now the differential wasn't working properly and making noise. After contact Dodge about it again, they are telling me that the dealer says there's nothing wrong so they wont replace the transmission or the differential even though they are covered under warranty. The dealer specifically told me that they know something is wrong, but they aren't sure exactly what and the only way to really fix the issues would be to replace the entire transmission and the entire differential because they each have some many parts to them. At this point, I would like to file an official complaint as it seems the only way Dodge will honor their warranty is if someone dies. Yesterday I was making a left turn and oncoming traffic almost hit me because the transmission wouldn't engage in gear for the truck to move forward.

- Batavia, IL, USA

Sep 152012

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, he heard an abnormally loud noise coming from the rear of the vehicle. The contact mentioned that the wheels seized and the drive shaft fractured. As a result, he lost control of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 49,000.

- Marana, AZ, USA

Sep 112012

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

Was driving my 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 pickup at 40 mph when I felt/heard something snap from underneath the truck, pulled off and saw the drive shaft had broke off the rear-end, damaged the transfercase, shredded out all the gears, and locked up the rear-end. Vehicle is under warranty and the dealership honored all repairs under warranty.

- Hayes, VA, USA

Sep 052012

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

I was driving down the highway heard a high pitched whine and the boom the driveline came off the rear differential and the rear wheels locked up. I have researched this and many people have experienced the same problem. Dealer has to replace all components from the center of the truck back.

- Buford, GA, USA

Aug 252012

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

Driveshaft disconnected/slipped out of rear diff (hanging down - still on truck) loss of power/had to coast to a safe area during coasting came to a sudden stop/something locked up in rear diff.

- Clarkston, MI, USA

Aug 112012

Ram 1500 8-cyl

I went to huntsville, Alabama and got my two grandchildren on July 23, 2012 and they spent three weeks with me in Michigan. On Friday August 10, 2012, I took them home. On Saturday, August 11, 2012 as I was driving down pulaski pike getting ready to make a left turn my truck would not turn. The man at the service station was waving for me to let my window down and I did and he said MA your drive shaft is on the ground. I got out of my truck and was astonished that this big long pipe was on the ground. My father came and said your pinion nut backed itself off the pinion and that there was no loctite on the pinion nut and that could have been very danger had it happen when I was carrying my grandchildren home. My father is a mechanic and he put my drive shaft back on and I drove my truck back to Michigan and took my truck to moran Chrysler Jeep dealership in St. Clair. And they said it was put back together ok but need a seal on the differential case but the people I work with knew they were using defected pinion nuts.I work at the marysville axle plant which it use to be detroit axle plant.

- Huntsville, AL, USA

Nov 102010

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Rear wheels locked up while driving...brought truck in and was told it was not an issue and nothing was wrong.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jun 032012

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

When slowing down kept hearing a humming noise coming from the rearend. About 10 minutes later I slowed down to make a turn and boom the driveshaft falls out of the rearend and the rear wheels lock up. The pinion nut had come off and pinion yolk (still attached to the driveshaft) came out of the rearend. The Chrysler dealership determined that the driveshaft was not reusable and had to replace the rearend housing and all it's internal parts.

- Soldotna, AK, USA

Jul 092012

Ram 1500

While coming down highway 36 into susanville, calif. Our truck started make a odd noise, we could not stop to check it out because of the road, as we came up on an area where wee could look at it got really loud and we heard a thump and the rear axle locked up. We then skid across the road to a pull off area what we found was our drive shaft had come out of the rear axle. The truck had to be towed into town where it still is. When we called on July 30th I was told there was 45 other trucks waiting for the same part, I called again on August 10th and they are now telling us maybe sometime in October. The problem has been identified by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. But I believe the scope of the problem is greater then what is being reported to federal agencies.

- Olympia, WA, USA

Aug 082012

Ram 1500

While traveling at speed of 15 mph, heard loud bang from rear the truck shook. Vehicle was towed to dealership where they determined the differential broke due to mechanical failure. They did not say anything about transmission. Ordered parts are on back order.

- Cutler Bay , FL, USA

Jun 202012

Ram 1500 8-cyl

While on vacation I was driving 45 mph and heard a whinning noise coming from the rear of truck. It got louder and louder very quickly and then I heard a large banging noise and the rear wheels froze up causing the truck to skid to a stop in the middle of the road. Got out of said truck and noticed the rear of the driveshaft laying on the ground. Put it in 4 wheel drive to get of the road and noticed the rear wheels were locked solid and was barely able to get the truck to move to get of the road. The pinion nut came loose causing the driveshaft to fall off in turn the pinion moved in the rear axel causing catastrophic failure inside the rear differential.

- Chicopee, MI, USA

Jun 122012

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

While traveling a local road at approximately 30 mph, the rear differential made a short term humming noise and then a grinding sound. Rear differential locked up shearing the pinion shaft and allowing the driveshaft to drop free of the rear differential, hit the bottom of the truck several times and then drop to the ground. Vehicle was towed to the local dealership where it remains waiting on parts. According to the dealership, Chrysler has switched suppliers of the ring and pinion kits and there is currently a backorder of approximately 175 parts kits. Current release date for the parts is October 2012.

- Chadds Ford, PA, USA

Jul 042012

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

The vehicle began making a whining noise in the rear during deceleration, both from simply letting off the accelerator and braking. Noise began 50 miles from residence, and progressively became louder on the drive home. At roughly 17 miles from my current residence, a loud noise was heard followed by more loud rumbling and smoke from differential fluid slinging onto the exhaust. I turned on to a side road and began coasting until reaching a safe location to pull over; however, before stopping the rear differential locked up causing the truck to skid to a stop. Upon exiting the vehicle, I could see the drive shaft hanging on the ground, it's rear connecting bolts sheared, and the differential yoke was missing. I could see the pinion shaft sloppily resting in the the differential where the yoke should have been. I paid to have it hauled to the local Dodge dealership, who indicated they "did not have a qualified rear end technician", and said I'd "have to have it towed to another one at my personal expense" 50 miles away. After contacting Chrysler, they reimbursed my towing expense, and towed it to the other dealership. The second dealership said the ring and pinion were broken, and would have to be replaced along with the carrier. After waiting one month without my truck, I contacted them and was told the parts necessary to fix the vehicle were on backorder, and would not be available for 3 months. I called Chrysler to expedite the parts, and that afternoon was told the parts had arrived, and would be fixed in 2-3 days. After one day, I was told Chrysler okayed aftermarket parts to expedite the repair, but were flawed preventing correct repair. They offered to let me have it back, but warned me it would make more noise than before. I requested that they fix it right or not at all. Chrysler then indicated parts would not be available for 5 months.

- Vicksburg, MS, USA

Jul 302012

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

The truck started making a whirring down shifting noise then a loud noise then the truck seized to a halt drive shaft now laying on ground.

- Catasauqua, PA, USA

May 152012

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph, a humming sound emitted from the power train. The contact applied the brakes and the rear differential seized, destroying the power train. The contact had the vehicle towed to a dealer. The dealer was unable to repair the vehicle due to part availability. The contact then traded the vehicle to the dealer. The failure mileage was 34,200.

- Verona, IL, USA

Jul 252012

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, both of the rear wheels locked. As a result, the drive shaft broke off the rear differential. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who was unable to determine what caused the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem who did not offer any assistance. The VIN was not available. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 85,200.

- Crosby, TX, USA

Jul 142012

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

I was driving vehicle at 55 mph along undivided 2 lane highway. Differential began to make whining noise and then within 1-2 minutes the rear differential locked up and the drive shaft yoke broke causing the drive shaft to drop to the ground. Due to the speed, vehicle control was difficult while attempting to stop. Once stopped, drive shaft yoke was obviously snapped off and passenger side rear tire had melted rubber from being dragged for a few hundred feet when differential locked up. Vehicle was taken to deal and after 2 weeks determination was made that something seized in the differential and caused internals to be destroyed. Dealer has not mentioned current recalls or investigations. As of now, I have been told that Dodge is not making the parts needed and that a minimum of 1 month lead time is expected before parts become available. I am told no loaner vehicle or rental car will be provided.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Jul 232012

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

I noticed the vehicle making a humming/rubbing sound coming from the rear end when moving 20-35mph and coming to a stop. I parked the vehicle until I was able to get it to the dealership, so the technician could test drive and locate the problem. Upon his initial leaving he heard nothing so he proceeded to pick up the speed to 55mph to check for vibration in a neutral coast down. Upon reaching 45mph the drive-shaft completely snapped and separated from the rear end assembly, resulting in the rear end completely locking up and sending the truck spinning out of control and the drive shaft swinging violently underneath the truck until the truck came to rest in the middle of the road. Upon further inspection when the truck was towed back to the dealership the technician noticed the rack and pinion assembly completely unthreaded itself from the driveshaft resulting in a catastrophic failure of the rear end. As a result it completely destroyed the gears and components within the rear end housing including deep gashes into the housing itself rendering it unsafe to re-build on. The dealership has since ordered a whole new rear end assembly to be purchased and placed on the truck and currently waiting on parts as I write this letter.

- Artesia , NM, USA

Jul 302011

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Driving truck at approximately 65 mph to pass another vehicle. Heard a loud, high pitched moaning/whining sound. Truck lost power, pulled over to side of road. Walked around truck to look for cause of problem, saw smoke, smelled burned metal, saw oily sheen on back of truck & on fender. Looked under truck, saw a hole where a plug should have been in rear differential box. Notified Dodge roadside assistance for tow, contacted Dodge/Chrysler customer care to report problem, activate warranty. Truck brought to Dodge dealership who denied warranty, claimed vandalism the cause of the missing plug, not defect. Pursued this with Dodge who continued to deny fault. Only submitting this now because saw an article online about differential failure on Dodge, Jeep products. Due to denial of warranty coverage had to pay over $900 out of pocket and submit claim to insurance company.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Jan 132012

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Driving home from dinner, started to hear a loud whinning noise coming from the rear end started to slow down then next thing I knew I heard a loud thump drive shaft fell off and rear end locked up. Dealer repaired it but I am always scared it could happen again and maybe at higher speeds. Iam starting to notice this is starting to be a big deal for alot of people also. Go on the ramforumz.com forum look under the 2010 year and there are people telling there stories. I hope nobody has to loose a life for someone to take action.

- Kingwood, TX, USA