2010 Dodge Ram 1500 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Dodge Ram 1500:

2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 8 of 8)

Jul 302011

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Driving truck at approximately 65 mph to pass another vehicle. Heard a loud, high pitched moaning/whining sound. Truck lost power, pulled over to side of road. Walked around truck to look for cause of problem, saw smoke, smelled burned metal, saw oily sheen on back of truck & on fender. Looked under truck, saw a hole where a plug should have been in rear differential box. Notified Dodge roadside assistance for tow, contacted Dodge/Chrysler customer care to report problem, activate warranty. Truck brought to Dodge dealership who denied warranty, claimed vandalism the cause of the missing plug, not defect. Pursued this with Dodge who continued to deny fault. Only submitting this now because saw an article online about differential failure on Dodge, Jeep products. Due to denial of warranty coverage had to pay over $900 out of pocket and submit claim to insurance company.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Jan 132012

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Driving home from dinner, started to hear a loud whinning noise coming from the rear end started to slow down then next thing I knew I heard a loud thump drive shaft fell off and rear end locked up. Dealer repaired it but I am always scared it could happen again and maybe at higher speeds. Iam starting to notice this is starting to be a big deal for alot of people also. Go on the forum look under the 2010 year and there are people telling there stories. I hope nobody has to loose a life for someone to take action.

- Kingwood, TX, USA

Jun 292012

Ram 1500 4WD

I have a 1500 Dodge 4X4. While driving home (with my three kids) I pulled up to a stop sign and noticed what felt like my brakes grinding. I rolled down my window and it was very load. I drove another 2 miles maybe, pulled up to another stop sign only to have my drive shaft hit the pavement. A few men selling vegetables on the corner helped push it backwards off the road. My husband later went to pick it up with one of his trailers and noticed that in 4X4 with the drive shaft removed it was still locked. The dealership has had it for three weeks and first had problems with the parts, then said that the parts were on back order, then said that the housing was delivered but the gears had to be investigated and released by a regional manager in order to be ordered. What would have happened if that had happened doing 75mph down the interstate that I was heading towards"?? I have looked through forums and online and noticed that this is not too frequent but still common. What to do" three weeks without my vehicle, no end in site ordering the pieces of the rear end and still no answer on if the front end or transmission have issues.

- Longview, TX, USA

Jul 042012

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Started to hear a strange noise when I would let off the accelerator (empty truck, no trailer or cargo). I said to myself 'I need to get this to the shop tomorrow to see what is wrong with it.' The noise got louder, and before I got home, the nut holding on the drive shaft had fallen off and caused the drive shaft to drop to the ground and my rear end to lock up. I was disabled in the middle of an intersection and had to call a tow truck. After google searching the issue, I noticed there are many cases with 2009 and 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 trucks with this exact issue. This isn't a driveshaft issue, but rather a pinion\rear end issue. Seeing the numerous reports of this issue, I think a recall is the least that Dodge should do in response to this issue.

- Winnsboro, TX, USA

Mar 192012

Ram 1500 8-cyl

I have a 2010 Ram with 50K miles on it and just got a wake up call. While running with rush hour traffic, I took my foot off the gas, heard a loud whine, then kablam!!! the rear of the truck locked up and kicked me dead sideways, luckily I had just gotten into a gap between traffic. Nothing like having a full size crew cab truck sliding sideways on an interstate in the middle of traffic. I managed to get the truck straightened up and as it was about to slide around the other way I heard the rear end explode and the rear wheels freed up and I got off the side of the road. Kudos to the drivers behind me, cars and the 2 18 wheelers that were able to avoid T boning me as I went on this wonder ride. I climbed out the passenger door and called my dealer, they hooked me up with roadside and an hour later!!! with rush hour traffic just missing my truck by inches, I got to my dealer. They have yet to get it on the rack to look at it. I did crawl under it in the lot. Drive shaft fell off. The pinion apparently came loose, I can see it inside the differential and all the threads are present. The drive shaft is beat all up, you can see where it hung on the frame when the truck went sideways. The front of the dif looks cracked, the pinion is inside the dif wedged against everything. The trans seams to be leaking fluid as well, cracked"???" this is a major safety issue!!!! first mine is not the only Ram this has happened to. My dealer has had 1 other in for the same issue, and another for no oil in the rear diff. Its just a matter of time before this seriously hurts or kills someone. I have many moons of driving experience under my belt and was able to keep the truck from splattering. Call it skill, luck, whatever, but it could've turned out very badly.

- Drummonds, TN, USA

Nov 222011

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Ram. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph, the rear tires seized and the drive shaft completely detached from the vehicle. The contact had the vehicle towed to the local dealer to have the drive shaft repaired. After the repair the drive shaft detached from the vehicle a second time, while driving 70 mph. The contact took the vehicle back to the dealer for a second repair. The failure mileage was 33,500.

- Mount Ephraim, NJ, USA

Dec 082011

Ram 1500

The rear end seized which in turn snapped the drive shaft in half. The drive shaft then punctured the fuel tank, and flattened the spare tire. This happened while making a right hand turn onto a side street, my speed at the time was aprox 15 mph. It lifted the rear of the truck off the road and slammed down to a stop. I am glad I was not on the highway.

- Yarmouth Port, MA, USA

Nov 112011

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact was driving approximately 75 mph and heard a loud noise outside the vehicle. Suddenly, the vehicle spun out of control 360 degrees. The vehicle then fish-tailed and crashed into a concrete barrier. The drive shaft fractured and completely detached onto the road. A police report was filed of the incident. There were no personal injuries. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 21,495.

- Edmond, OK, USA

Sep 072011

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact was driving 55 mph when a whistling noise emitted from the rear end as the rear tires seized, causing the vehicle to come to a complete stop. The vehicle was taken to the dealer but the dealer was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was not contacted and the vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 62,000.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Mar 152010

Ram 1500

Driving around 30 miles per hour, and it has happened twice it has surged in speed with out pressing the gas pedal for no reason. Nothing was done because being it doesn't happen all the time when I take it to the dealer it will not happen more than likely.

- Surrey, ND, USA