2011 Dodge Ram 1500 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Dodge Ram 1500:

2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments

May 222015

Ram 1500

I was driving along at posted highway speeds when my engine suddenly failed and lost all power. Fortunately, I was able to drift to the side of interstate without incident where I called a towing company to be picked up. My truck has 130,000 miles on it but has never shown any sign of a problem. The truck was serviced regularly at 5000 mile intervals. Majority of mileage were highway miles between 70 - 75 mph. Normally, I would chalk this up to high mileage. However, during the search for any problems with a 5.7 L hemi engine, I noticed the following recall and was curios as to why my Ram 1500 was not included: This recall covers a specific build period. The vehicles involved are 20092012 Dodge challengers (lc), Dodge chargers (ld) and Chrysler 300S (LX) equipped with a 5.7L hemi engine (sales code ezd or ezh, which are the mds engines) and rear axle ratios of 3.06, 3.73 or 3.92 (sales code dmp, dme or dmh). The build period is from August 4, 2008, through July 10, 2012 (mdh 080406 through 071008). The recall is titled customer satisfaction notification P01 engine timing chain and chain guide and is dated February 2014. Since the engines are nearly identical, there is no reason that my truck should not be covered under this recall. The timing chain failure in my 2011 Ram 1500 slt 4X4 crewcab caused catastrophic damage to the entire engine to the point where it need to be replaced. This truck was purchased new and was expected to last much longer than it did. I am very lucky to have been able to get safely off the highway without being involved in a major accident with one of the many tractor and trailers or Washington DC commuters. There is no sufficient reason for the metal timing chain failure other than a manufacturer's defect already acknowledged in other vehicles with the same engine by the Chrysler corporation.

- Stephens City, VA, USA

Apr 022015

Ram 1500

While driving at freeway speeds my truck completly shut off, I lost power to everything, including power steering. I had previous had my truck into the dealership for problems with my fuel pump staying on and learned it was a problem with the tipm (totally integrated power module) which Chrysler is aware of and has recalls for some vehicles in certin states. The symtoms my truck is having is the same listed in many of the complaints, ie. Vehicles randomly shutting off, fuel pump staying on and draining the batteries, air bags randomly deploying. After researching multiple fourms and website I found its a very common problem among Chrysler vehicles. This needs to be addressed before someone gets hurt or killed due to faulty parts and equipment.

- Stansbury Park, UT, USA

Feb 082015

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated while driving approximately 30 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The contact mentioned that after resetting the key, all the warning lights on the instrument panel illuminated. The vehicle failed to restart. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for a diagnosis. The technician stated that the control module failed and the win module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 72,000.

- Odessa, TX, USA

Jul 222014

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Truck would not start, would crank but not start. No warning lights (check engine) etc. Had to take it to local dealer, dealer contacted me next day informing me it was the pinion whatever that is. Cost of repairs is over 1200 dollars. Found out that the pinion is the hi tech name for the fuse box that's under the hood. I asked to see the old part and the person at the parts counter stated that they changed (3) three of them today, .. that's very sad to hear for us Dodge owners.

- Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Mar 122014

Ram 1500

Truck stalls when coming to a stop. Truck stalls whenever shifting from park into reverse drive. Rattling sound coming from under truck. Dealership diagnosed it to a defective torque converter and is replacing it and the transmission fluid pump.

- Dawson Creek, AL, USA

Dec 272013

Ram 1500 8-cyl

While driving my truck just shut off. No warning lights or anything. Lost all power to steering and was lucky to get stopped with out getting hurt. It started right up like normal. Few days later it did it again. Just plain scary.

- Sycamore, IL, USA

Oct 182013

Ram 1500 8-cyl

I was changing my spark plugs(upper bank).1 of the boots (that is between the coil & plug) pulled loose & stayed on the spark plug.had to dig it out in pieces.(the boot was flushed to the spark plug)no auto parts stores within 20 miles even stocked the boot.went to & called several Dodge dealers.they only sell the boot with the coil(not just the boot) $65.this is totally uncalled for & unacceptable. I stayed away from Dodge for years because of their bad products.seems nothing has changed.very disappointed. Dodge drops the ball again.not satisfied at all.if these people miss things this simple wow I don't even what to go there.

- Nederland, TX, USA

Aug 142013

Ram 1500 8-cyl

After a couple repairs on same problem, I was driving to go shopping when etc bolt light and engine light came on again. I was letting off gas to slow down so I could try shutting truck off to reset computer so I could get it to dealer. When I let off gas the truck was accelerating on its own so I held brake down and let up on brake to inch forward to get all the way off road when it accelerated on its own like it was floored. I stopped and put it in park. In park the engine was racing at 3000 RPM. This is a dangerous faulty system.I had taken it to dealer and they reset it saying when they called factory they were told to reset it. If it happens again may be wire harness. I have taken time to file these complaints as I feel this is a deadly issue. These trucks have children riding in them and in other cars that may collide with them. Please research the wireless drive on the Dodge Ram 2011.

- Rhinebeck, NY, USA

Apr 112013

Ram 1500 8-cyl

After having the gas pedal replaced a few months later, now 4/11/2013 the etc bolt light and engine light came on again at city speeds as I slowed for traffic, when I let off the brake the truck speed up very fast without ever using cruise control or touching the gas. I almost ran a red light, had to smash the brake down holding steering wheel tight to stop the truck after turning key off. I then restarted it I put it in drive. When I let off brake the truck took off like heck, almost like it was floored on its own. The car dealer called the for advice on this ongoing problem. They then replaced the throttle body. I do not believe it is the dealers fault, I believe it is a defect in the wireless drive that needs to be addressed by builder and recalled.

- Rhinebeck, NY, USA

Sep 212012

Ram 1500 8-cyl

I have had previous problems before this with engine and etc bolt light on dash, causing the truck to go in limp mode. I was told it was the throttle body and that the truck had to be reset. On Sept 21/2012 the etc bolt light and engine light came on in city driving conditions. When I slowed down for traffic using the brake I let off the brake and before I could do anything the truck raced off on its own almost causing a accident without ever touching the gas, the cruise control was not on. I turned off key and dangerously coasted to the side of road. I turned off the truck and re started the truck. At this point I had only engine light so I took it to dealer. They replaced gas pedal and reset it. The truck always scared me after this. I feel that this is a great danger with the new wireless drive system.this needs to be looked at buy the builder of this truck.

- Rhinebeck , NY, USA

Sep 122013

Ram 1500 8-cyl

After passing a slow moving vehicle on the highway, my truck shut down.the engine cut off, dash lights and park light started to flicker erratically and the headlights went off. I managed to pull the vehicle to the side of the road. In order to stop the lights from flickering I disconnected the battery (they flickered with the switch in the off position). As the lights flickered I could hear relays clicking under the hood and dash. After waiting a while I reconnected the battery and all systems came back on and I was able to start the truck and drive it home. The dealership will not be able to check it out until wed the 18. All systems seem to be normal. I have to go to work. I' M driving it 60 miles round trip everyday.

- Alexandria, LA, USA

May 142013

Ram 1500 8-cyl

While driving down the road the truck stalled out without any warning. I got it restarted after numerous attempts but the engine would continue to stall upon putting it in gear. Had to have it towed to the Dodge dealership and rent a car from hertz. The dealership has had the truck now for 4 days and still can not tell me what is wrong with it. This truck has a 5.7-liter V8 hemi engine.

- The Villages, FL, USA