2011 Dodge Ram 1500 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Dodge Ram 1500:

2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments

Jan 182012

Ram 1500 8-cyl

While starting from a stop if you momentarily hold your foot on the brake and accelerate. When you release the brake the car begins forward then all warning lights come on and car shuts down from 1 to 10 seconds. If you are pulling into a busy road where you might momentarily spin the engine up in order to have better response you are left stuck out in the road in traffic. Also happens if you are towing on an incline and you spin up engine before releasing foot brake. You would do this in order to not roll back. They said the code says you should not drive with 2 feat. I don't think it should happen they say it's normal. Very dangerous. Have brought the car in multiple times since this has occurred.

- Farmingdale, NJ, USA

Jan 292014

Ram 1500 8-cyl

I was backing out of my garage, moving very slow (because of our outside cats) with very slight pressure on accelerator, just enough to start to move the truck backwards down the incline out of my garage. Immediately, the engine revved and started racing. The truck picked up speed dramatically and I slammed my right foot down on the brake pedal, not sure what was happening. The brakes howled and vibrated, totally failing to stop the truck. I lifted my foot and then reapplied both feet to the brake without thinking. Brake went all the way to the floor and truck slowed very little, engine still revving. I then pulled the handle to the emergency brake and applied it to stop the truck. The engine was still speeding up and I put it in park, immediately turning the key to kill the truck. I didn't think to look at the rpms, but they had to be high. I got out and checked to see if anything was interfering with the gas pedal. Nothing was, my mat that I've had in it for 2 years lays far to the left of it. The gas and brake pedal seemed to be in normal position. I am taking the truck to the dealership after work today to see what can be done. I am very concerned about the safety issue involved here and the randomness of this. It was like the truck had a mind of its own and just tried to take off. After reading everything online about this happening to so many other people, I'm not sure I can continue to drive this truck. I bought it new with 19 miles on it. Something is very wrong with the Dodge trucks considering the number of people who have experienced this.

- Killeen, TX, USA

Aug 142013

Ram 1500 8-cyl

After a couple repairs on same problem, I was driving to go shopping when etc bolt light and engine light came on again. I was letting off gas to slow down so I could try shutting truck off to reset computer so I could get it to dealer. When I let off gas the truck was accelerating on its own so I held brake down and let up on brake to inch forward to get all the way off road when it accelerated on its own like it was floored. I stopped and put it in park. In park the engine was racing at 3000 RPM. This is a dangerous faulty system.I had taken it to dealer and they reset it saying when they called factory they were told to reset it. If it happens again may be wire harness. I have taken time to file these complaints as I feel this is a deadly issue. These trucks have children riding in them and in other cars that may collide with them. Please research the wireless drive on the Dodge Ram 2011.

- Rhinebeck, NY, USA

Apr 112013

Ram 1500 8-cyl

After having the gas pedal replaced a few months later, now 4/11/2013 the etc bolt light and engine light came on again at city speeds as I slowed for traffic, when I let off the brake the truck speed up very fast without ever using cruise control or touching the gas. I almost ran a red light, had to smash the brake down holding steering wheel tight to stop the truck after turning key off. I then restarted it I put it in drive. When I let off brake the truck took off like heck, almost like it was floored on its own. The car dealer called the for advice on this ongoing problem. They then replaced the throttle body. I do not believe it is the dealers fault, I believe it is a defect in the wireless drive that needs to be addressed by builder and recalled.

- Rhinebeck, NY, USA

Sep 212012

Ram 1500 8-cyl

I have had previous problems before this with engine and etc bolt light on dash, causing the truck to go in limp mode. I was told it was the throttle body and that the truck had to be reset. On Sept 21/2012 the etc bolt light and engine light came on in city driving conditions. When I slowed down for traffic using the brake I let off the brake and before I could do anything the truck raced off on its own almost causing a accident without ever touching the gas, the cruise control was not on. I turned off key and dangerously coasted to the side of road. I turned off the truck and re started the truck. At this point I had only engine light so I took it to dealer. They replaced gas pedal and reset it. The truck always scared me after this. I feel that this is a great danger with the new wireless drive system.this needs to be looked at buy the builder of this truck.

- Rhinebeck , NY, USA

Jun 212012

Ram 1500 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Ram. The contact stated while reversing out of a parking lot, the vehicle abnormally accelerated. The contact shifted to park and shut off the engine. The failure however, persisted once the vehicle was restarted. The contact was able to drive the vehicle home without incident. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection or possible repair. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure and current mileage was 5,100. Updated 07/19/12 the consumer stated as of July 6, 2012, the vehicle was still in the shop. The throttle sensor, pedal, main computer and wiring were replaced. However, the vehicle continued to accelerate without applying the accelerator pedal. Updated 07/23/12

- Eden, NC, USA

Mar 012012

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

2011 Dodge Ram 1500. Consumer states dealer refused repairs under warranty the consumer stated the vehicle would not shift out of park, upon start up. Also, the vehicle rolled while the truck was in park and the vehicle accelerated up to 100 mph. The consumer had to put the gear in neutral in order to stop the vehicle. The consumer stated the vehicle was still running, even though he turned the ignition off.

- Delevan, NY, USA