7.3

$1,400.00

2. buy after market dash (3 reports)
  3. have a new one made by Dodge so it can be replaced (2 reports)
  4. replace dash (2 reports)
1997 Dodge Ram 2500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1997 Dodge Ram 2500:

1997 Dodge Ram 2500 Owner Comments

Jul 202002

Ram 2500 HD 5.9L

On July 2002 I was hauling water to my cows and when I turned the trailer the dash cracked from one end to the other. Supposedly warranty expired so I patched it up with silver tape. Worked for a while but every time I was on dirt road it cracked some more and some more until I have no dash and also no instrument panel and are all gone.

So I have all instruments tied with baling twine its so embarrassing that an expensive heavy duty truck be like this when it was only 5 yrs. If you check on my VIN# see how many times I had it at the Dealership for brake problems and at that time In was hauling a trailer load of round hay bales and it was very new at that time. Even threaten to put "A Lemon Sign" and was told I couldn't.

And I'll tell you something I have a 2000 F-250 Power Stroke 4 x 4 Red also and my dash and paint on the exterior is excellent

And I know that more than 30 1997 Dodge Ram that the Mission Independent School District Mission, Texas had, also had the same problem with there dash so they got rid of them for the same reason. What a shame.

- , Mission, TX, USA

Jan 012000

Ram 2500 5.9L V8

click to see larger images

cracked dash

Dodge Ram 2500 dash and panel cracked. Just got cut from one of the shards that broke off. DIY people who won't shell out in repairing Dodges bad dash boards, please be careful when handling the broken plastic, it has sharp points just like broken glass.

I'm tempted to bring all the pieces into a Dodge dealership and ask what should I do? LOL maybe I should video their response.

- , Vallejo, CA, USA

Oct 012014

Ram 2500 5.9L Diesel

Don't know when cracking started because it has had a dash cover since 1998. It now needs to be replaced. No other auto I have owned has needed the dashboard replaced.

- , Sacramento, CA, USA

Jun 072013

Ram 2500 XLT 5.9L

VERY DANGEROUS IN A CRASH. PLASTIC PIECES ARE VERY HARD AND SHARP

- , Brenham, TX, USA

May 052007

Ram 2500 SLT Cummins

Should have a warning sticker- "WARNING! Dashboard May Suddenly Explode"

- , Petaluma, CA, USA

Jan 122011

Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L

my dash is caving in and causing other problems now the climate control is stuck on AC no Heat. I'm having a serious problem considering the purchase of another Dodge since their not recognizing this issue and not making parts or technical support available. First Dodge I had ever purchased and may making it my last if they dont stand up and be accountable. Sorry Dodge no loyality here!!!!!! you had your chance.

- , Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jul 062004

Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L Diesel

Great truck except for this dash problem. The dash is just falling apart.

- , Picayune, MS, USA

Jul 012002

Ram 2500 SLT Diesel

dodge dropped the ball on their dash's will not stand up to the heat of a georgia summer lasts till the warrenty is out

- , Claxton, GA, USA

Jan 012000

Ram 2500 Deisel

Dash is cracked everywhere. Completely blown out on the passenger side.

- , Menifee, CA, USA

Oct 102009

Ram 2500 Sport 5.9L

dodge needs to make a new one so we can buy it or what ever I just want a new one Its wierd that you can't even get an aftermarket one

- , Clayton, NM, USA

Dec 172009

Ram 2500

Did not know of this being such a wide spread problem....now I know. This is my second Dodge pickup my first being a new 1989 318 1/2 ton.... My new truck purchased in 1997 diesel 4x4 has been a great truck. Now this dash thing. too bad that our companies are not standing by their products on such a cheap item. $50K trruck - $? dash. I'm keeping this truck running...I will not purchase a new one.

- , Fort Worth, TX, USA