8.2

2. replace dash (18 reports)
  3. hopefully dodge does the right thing and replaces it (4 reports)
  4. either cover it and sell the truck or replace the dash (2 reports)
  5. i'm going to coat the upper dash with fiberglass (1 reports)
  6. plastic dash cover and cover with a dash mat good stuff (1 reports)
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Dodge Ram 2500:

1999 Dodge Ram 2500 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Jan 012008

Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L Cummins

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

The cracks started out as one big crack down the left center. I had seen other Dodge Rams with worse off dashboards so I was careful to leave it alone. Then one day I went to get in the glovebox and it fell off, plastic hinge pins snapped right off. Glovebox is still broken. In the last few years a few more cracks appeared and some small pieces fell in then the bezel on the instrument panel cracked and a piece came off. Just recently went to install satellite radio and needed to connect to radio antenna socket on back of radio, big mistake. Pried off bezel and all clips stayed in holes on the dash as plastic on bezel broke right off, could not reinstall now plus bezel cracked in 3 or 4 places and pieces broke right off. Decided at that point to try and replace dash upper panel and bezel. Note in my pictures that the plastic frame work around the instrument panel and around radio are also cracked and cracked very easy as i found out when I slide the radio out. Also found cracks in the plastic lower dash near the cup holder and plastic trim around rearview mirror cracking. So it is not only the upper dash panel (the top of dash) or the bezel but all the plastic under the dash and in the front dashboard assembly. Truck is way out of warranty and I am through messing with dealers. I searched on the internet and found a aftermarket dash panel and bezel that was not made buy Chrysler and had UV inhibitors unlike the original. Removed all the old dash upper panel and removed screws from a/c ducts that had been screwed to underside of dash. Then used Loctite superglue (gel type) and glued up any cracks in plastic frame work of dash assembly that I could find. Installed the new dash panel and bezel in about 2 hours, looks like new!

- , Sugar Land, TX, USA

Jan 072012

Ram 2500 SLT 5.2L V8

I just bought this 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 on 01-07-2012. I didn't know that the dash was cracked until I arrived to pick up the truck (210 miles from home). The place I bought it from told me that it was a common problem. Until I found my way to this site I didn't realize the significance. I see that one person persisted with Dodge and was able to get the Dash replaced by Dodge for $100.00. Could someone pass on the phone number to call. Compared to the replacement cost I would be happy to pay that to get it fixed. My question also would be what are they replacing it with?? Same defective crap or an improved design model. Mine is cracked over the glove box area and has not "fallen in" yet but I can't put anything up there because I'm sure that it will. With this being as wide spread as it is it's obvious the parts are defective and Dodge should be willing to make this right. Cmon Dodge, step up to the plate and put your money where your mouth is. FIX THIS DAMIT!!!!!!!! WTF!!!

- , Iron River, MI, USA

Jan 012010

Ram 2500 4X4 Sport V10

The dash has broken into several pieces (THIS IS A SERIOUS SAFETY ISSUE) and is no longer intact or attached to the mounting areas. It started with one little crack and then larger pieces began breaking free. The edges are very sharp and will cut you. Upon any kind of impact to the vehicle, pieces will fly into the eyes, face, body and the driver or occupants WILL BE INJURED. THIS IS A SERIOUS SAFETY ISSUE. The truck is not safe to operate/drive with the dash in this condition. Have no way to know if airbag will work properly or might spontaneously deploy.

- , Campbell, CA, USA

Jun 012005

Ram 2500

As others have said, I have always taken good care of my truck. People are surprised when I tell them it’s a 1999. The only part of the truck that shows a flaw is the dashboard. I got my first crack in June of 2005. I now have 12 major cracks, any more and I will have chunks of plastic falling out. I am surprised that Dodge will not recall this. I have often wondered if I was in an accident how many shards of plastic will I be impelled with.

- , Goode, VA, USA

Jun 122007

Ram 2500 LS Cummins

Online forums report this as a widespread problem. I want Dodge to fix it

- , Fort Collins, CO, USA

May 012010

Ram 2500 SLT Larmine 5.9L Cummings

contacted Chrysler about fixing or replacing the dash along with peeling paint which is another big problems with Chrysler vehicles. They offered to replace the dash and paint for 50% of the cost. both of these should be replaced at chrysler's expense due to poor workmanship and parts.

- , Charlotte, NC, USA

Nov 012010

Ram 2500

ALL THE SUDDEN MY DASH HAS CRACKED AND CAVED IN. HELP! IT LOOKS HORRIBLE. MY TRUCK LOOKS GREAT EXCEPT THE DASH..I REALLY CAN'T BELIEVE HOW QUICK THIS HAPPENED. HELP!

- , Spring, TX, USA

Jan 012004

Ram 2500 Quad Cab SLT 5.9L Cummins

Time for Dodge to replace at their cost. I have dodges from 1970 and 1971 that still have a perfect dash and a 1999 is a scrape pile of plastic. Quality has gone to the wayside.

- , Bumpass, VA, USA

Dec 152005

Ram 2500 5.9L

It's ridiculous how fragile these dashboards are in what is otherwise a tough vehicle. You would think that Dodge would want to rectify this considering that Ford and Chevy both have better interiors to begin with. I love the Cummins motor and am relatively happy with the rest of the truck but this dash problem is PATHETIC.

- , Finksburg, MD, USA

Oct 012007

Ram 2500 V8

This problem is soooo bad. The whole dash hascaved in. There is a huge hole over the steering wheel and the instrument panel has fallen off. we had it duct taped for a while cause its our farm truck, but its gonna have to be fixed. We keep losing things inside the dash!

Update from Jan 14, 2011: After spending several months on this, Dodge finally agreed to replace the dash for $100. "deductible" which is significantly lower than the $1141 quoted by the dealership. The same dealership fixed it, I suppose Dodge reimbursed them. While it was definitely time consuming it was worth the numerous phone calls. Everyone I spoke with at Dodge was very helpful and friendly and seemed to want to help. It would have been nice if they would have replaced it for free since they admit there were defective materials used, but the truck is 12 years old and to get this done for $100 I thought was a good deal. Be aware that the first price they offer you on replacement may not be the lowest you can get it done for. I didn't try to go lower than $100, but their first offer was 30 - 35% of the price quoted by the dealership. Stick to your guns and negotiate!

- , Concord, GA, USA

Apr 162002

Ram 2500 4x4 5.9L

It is ashame to have a nice truck and when you get into it....You see the broken dash. Plus, my VIN plate has disappeared into the inner workings of the dashboard. I hope I don't get pulled over and the vehicle VIN get checked. They may think it is stolen and haul me to jail till they find the stamped VIN. Then I will have to contact my lawyer to deal with Dodge.

- , North Charleston, SC, USA

Sep 102003

Ram 2500

Dodge needs to step up to the plate, Great engine but whats it worth if your interior and exterior does not live up to the standard of the engine.

- , Stella, NC, USA

Feb 142008

Ram 2500 SLT Laramie 5.9L 6 cyl

I think that Dodge should step up to the plate and fix the problem like any other auto company would to! Its bullshit when you spend 20 something grand for a truck for the durability of the Cummins and the CHEAP ASS PLASTIC DASH Dodge used cracks and looks like sh*t! They cant blame it on the sun because it is not the sun its their SORRY ASS CRAFTMANSHIP!!!! My truck has been garage kept since I bought it. (Used) I have a 1975 Dodge D100 Power Wagon that has sat in the sun everyday for the last 28 Yrs and that dash hasnt cracked! Or my parents 2000 F-250 Superduty that has been outside everyday since it was new no cracks! I think Chrysler should step up to the plate and fix the problem! I know there is a government website that you can file a complaint on I dont remember the name of it but if everyone files one with them I think something will be done!

- , Chowchilla, CA, USA

Sep 172009

Ram 2500 Sport 5.9L

This is such a known problem and Dodge just chooses to ignore it. They offered me a break on replacement but why should I have to shell out 4 hunny for a problem that was obviously materials and workmanship. Shame on Dodge for not stepping up.

- , Boise, ID, USA

Aug 132009

Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L

dodge should recall and fix it all dash looks crap holes and cracked all over or just buy a ford next time i thick a will if dodge are nt willing to help

- , Manchester, Lancs, England

Apr 132008

Ram 2500 2500 HD 360

I have joined the 1999 Dodge cracked dashboard club! We have two 1996 Dodge trucks and the dashboards in them are just fine. I think Dodge should recall this problem.Every time we drive down the road more pieces, or maybe I should say chunks, fall out. This has to be a safety issue at some point. I just don't know who to complain to.

- , Summersville, WV, USA

Dec 032009

Ram 2500 2500 5.9L 8 cyl

I bought the truck used from a city water dept last year. It is a pretty good truck except for the dash which is UGLY and full of holes. I'm sure once all this crap falls inside the dash it will cause wiring and who knows what other problems. Dodge needs to do a recall and replace their JUNK with some REAL materials. I will never buy another Dodge because they are not standing behind the crap they sell!

- , O'Fallon, MO, USA

Feb 042008

Ram 2500 Slt 4x4 5.9L Diesel

Guys and ladys. get your self the plastic dash cover and in stall them easy as pie.

then cover withe a dash mat fix for about 225. looks good just did it. my dash just

imploded easy fix.

- , Inyokern, CA, USA

Jan 012006

Ram 2500 2500 HD 5.9L V8

I really like my 1999 dodge ram 2500 4x4 except for the "dashboard". Although I bought it used in 11 06 with 109000 miles on it. 2yrS later my rear-end went out, that got me foe 1800 bucks. Now in may of 09 my fuel pump and water pump went out. I now have 162000 miles on it, but I still love my biotch.

- , Wilmington, CA, USA

Nov 152006

Ram 2500 Sport V8

after reading on the internet about dodge ram dashes falling apart I called the 1-800 and got told that dodge would have to do a diagnostic on my car which they will charge me for. I said the problem with my dash is visible to the human eye so why do you have to put my truck on a machine and charge me. Answer was that is the way dodge does auto repairs. This can't possibly be true.

My truck has been garage kept an only has 52,000 mile on it and the dash is falling apart, I can't even sell the thing. I don't think I should have to pay for this defect.

Is there a better number and higher ups I can talk to.

- , Henderson, NV, USA