8.1

2. replace dash (16 reports)
  3. either cover it and sell the truck or replace the dash (2 reports)
  4. hopefully dodge does the right thing and replaces it (2 reports)
  5. i'm going to coat the upper dash with fiberglass (1 reports)
  6. plastic dash cover and cover with a dash mat good stuff (1 reports)
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Dodge Ram 2500:

1999 Dodge Ram 2500 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

May 012010

Ram 2500 SLT Larmine 5.9L Cummings

contacted Chrysler about fixing or replacing the dash along with peeling paint which is another big problems with Chrysler vehicles. They offered to replace the dash and paint for 50% of the cost. both of these should be replaced at chrysler's expense due to poor workmanship and parts.

- , Charlotte, NC, USA

Nov 012010

Ram 2500

ALL THE SUDDEN MY DASH HAS CRACKED AND CAVED IN. HELP! IT LOOKS HORRIBLE. MY TRUCK LOOKS GREAT EXCEPT THE DASH..I REALLY CAN'T BELIEVE HOW QUICK THIS HAPPENED. HELP!

- , Spring, TX, USA

Jan 012004

Ram 2500 Quad Cab SLT 5.9L Cummins

Time for Dodge to replace at their cost. I have dodges from 1970 and 1971 that still have a perfect dash and a 1999 is a scrape pile of plastic. Quality has gone to the wayside.

- , Bumpass, VA, USA

Dec 152005

Ram 2500 5.9L

It's ridiculous how fragile these dashboards are in what is otherwise a tough vehicle. You would think that Dodge would want to rectify this considering that Ford and Chevy both have better interiors to begin with. I love the Cummins motor and am relatively happy with the rest of the truck but this dash problem is PATHETIC.

- , Finksburg, MD, USA

Oct 012007

Ram 2500 V8

This problem is soooo bad. The whole dash hascaved in. There is a huge hole over the steering wheel and the instrument panel has fallen off. we had it duct taped for a while cause its our farm truck, but its gonna have to be fixed. We keep losing things inside the dash!

Update from Jan 14, 2011: After spending several months on this, Dodge finally agreed to replace the dash for $100. "deductible" which is significantly lower than the $1141 quoted by the dealership. The same dealership fixed it, I suppose Dodge reimbursed them. While it was definitely time consuming it was worth the numerous phone calls. Everyone I spoke with at Dodge was very helpful and friendly and seemed to want to help. It would have been nice if they would have replaced it for free since they admit there were defective materials used, but the truck is 12 years old and to get this done for $100 I thought was a good deal. Be aware that the first price they offer you on replacement may not be the lowest you can get it done for. I didn't try to go lower than $100, but their first offer was 30 - 35% of the price quoted by the dealership. Stick to your guns and negotiate!

- , Concord, GA, USA

Apr 162002

Ram 2500 4x4 5.9L

It is ashame to have a nice truck and when you get into it....You see the broken dash. Plus, my VIN plate has disappeared into the inner workings of the dashboard. I hope I don't get pulled over and the vehicle VIN get checked. They may think it is stolen and haul me to jail till they find the stamped VIN. Then I will have to contact my lawyer to deal with Dodge.

- , North Charleston, SC, USA

Sep 102003

Ram 2500

Dodge needs to step up to the plate, Great engine but whats it worth if your interior and exterior does not live up to the standard of the engine.

- , Stella, NC, USA

Feb 142008

Ram 2500 SLT Laramie 5.9L 6 cyl

I think that Dodge should step up to the plate and fix the problem like any other auto company would to! Its bullshit when you spend 20 something grand for a truck for the durability of the Cummins and the CHEAP ASS PLASTIC DASH Dodge used cracks and looks like sh*t! They cant blame it on the sun because it is not the sun its their SORRY ASS CRAFTMANSHIP!!!! My truck has been garage kept since I bought it. (Used) I have a 1975 Dodge D100 Power Wagon that has sat in the sun everyday for the last 28 Yrs and that dash hasnt cracked! Or my parents 2000 F-250 Superduty that has been outside everyday since it was new no cracks! I think Chrysler should step up to the plate and fix the problem! I know there is a government website that you can file a complaint on I dont remember the name of it but if everyone files one with them I think something will be done!

- , Chowchilla, CA, USA

Sep 172009

Ram 2500 Sport 5.9L

This is such a known problem and Dodge just chooses to ignore it. They offered me a break on replacement but why should I have to shell out 4 hunny for a problem that was obviously materials and workmanship. Shame on Dodge for not stepping up.

- , Boise, ID, USA

Aug 132009

Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L

dodge should recall and fix it all dash looks crap holes and cracked all over or just buy a ford next time i thick a will if dodge are nt willing to help

- , Manchester, Lancs, England

Apr 132008

Ram 2500 2500 HD 360

I have joined the 1999 Dodge cracked dashboard club! We have two 1996 Dodge trucks and the dashboards in them are just fine. I think Dodge should recall this problem.Every time we drive down the road more pieces, or maybe I should say chunks, fall out. This has to be a safety issue at some point. I just don't know who to complain to.

- , Summersville, WV, USA

Dec 032009

Ram 2500 2500 5.9L 8 cyl

I bought the truck used from a city water dept last year. It is a pretty good truck except for the dash which is UGLY and full of holes. I'm sure once all this crap falls inside the dash it will cause wiring and who knows what other problems. Dodge needs to do a recall and replace their JUNK with some REAL materials. I will never buy another Dodge because they are not standing behind the crap they sell!

- , O'Fallon, MO, USA

Feb 042008

Ram 2500 Slt 4x4 5.9L Diesel

Guys and ladys. get your self the plastic dash cover and in stall them easy as pie.

then cover withe a dash mat fix for about 225. looks good just did it. my dash just

imploded easy fix.

- , Inyokern, CA, USA

Jan 012006

Ram 2500 2500 HD 5.9L V8

I really like my 1999 dodge ram 2500 4x4 except for the "dashboard". Although I bought it used in 11 06 with 109000 miles on it. 2yrS later my rear-end went out, that got me foe 1800 bucks. Now in may of 09 my fuel pump and water pump went out. I now have 162000 miles on it, but I still love my biotch.

- , Wilmington, CA, USA

Nov 152006

Ram 2500 Sport V8

after reading on the internet about dodge ram dashes falling apart I called the 1-800 and got told that dodge would have to do a diagnostic on my car which they will charge me for. I said the problem with my dash is visible to the human eye so why do you have to put my truck on a machine and charge me. Answer was that is the way dodge does auto repairs. This can't possibly be true.

My truck has been garage kept an only has 52,000 mile on it and the dash is falling apart, I can't even sell the thing. I don't think I should have to pay for this defect.

Is there a better number and higher ups I can talk to.

- , Henderson, NV, USA

Jan 012004

Ram 2500

It's amazing that my '84 and '91 Dodge WORK trucks have no dash crack problem but the babied '99 has fallen apart. The stealer, I mean dealer, wants $550 for the part and says it's the sun in the South that's the problem, I guess there is no sun in the sky where the vehicle was designed... I've been a Dodge man for decades, now I await their comeuppance and bankruptcy, they deserve all they get. I sure hope Toyota or Nissan come out with a diesel 3/4 or 1 ton soon as I need a new truck!

- , Defuniak Springs, FL, USA

Jan 212009

Ram 2500 2500 4x4 5.9L

I'm really disappointed, in the fact that this even happened.

Dodge boasts about how much better there trucks are, and they can't make a dashboard that stays together. I can't believe they will do nothing about making this problem right with all the owners. "SHaaaame on you Dodge"

- , Wallington, NJ, USA

Dec 062004

Ram 2500 Quad Cab SLT Cummins

started to notice a problem when I pulled the front bezel to replace the radio, a small piece chipped off the dash above the instrument cluster. thought I was the problem. since then the whole dash has cracked up, and I see all these complaints. I agree with all the others, that dodge should fix it, or at least provide an improved part at cost.

- , Simi Valley, CA, USA

Dec 122004

Ram 2500 SLT Cummins Diesel

We noted the triangular hole in the top right of the dash when we bought the truck used three years ago, and felt it must have been some kind of accident. but in the past three years, the cracking has spread and more pieces have fallen "in". so this year I used epoxy glue on the cracks and put one piece back in place. i couldn't find any pieces that must have fallen down inside the dash area. I don't expect ever to get any satisfaction from Dodge. I will fiberglass the dash to isolate it from further UV effect, and to hold together any further cracking that may be about to occur. Then I will just cover that with a cover I just bought, to make it not look so bad. Tough luck. I bet you Dodge was compensated by the bastards that did the plastic work for them in supplying those dash assemblies. It's a major flaw not to have used UV-resistant material. I noted that the complaints I just looked at here were 8 out of 9 in the southern US, where UV is a big problem. My truck spent a year or two in Florida before I bought it. But now I'm up in Nova Scotia and the UV is minimal, so it might last until I get it glassed.

- , St Peter's, Nova Scotia, Canada

Sep 212005

Ram 2500 2500 4x4 V10

I never would have bought the truck from the dealer if he hadn't promised to fix what at the time was a hairline crack over the gauge cluster. He of course acted like he never said he'd fix it (Lesson learned? = GET IT IN WRITING!) Since that time I've kept a reflective window screen in place when it's parked. It didn't make any difference. It's now cracked in too many places to list. Driving along one day a hole opened up in front of me and the piece fell down in, and out onto the floor later when it got jounced out. Yup. Chrysler sucks. So do their trannies. I've already paid over $800 on that when it's another known defect. And your track bar failures in the suspension? Another known defect. I'm on my 3rd one in as many years. Niccccce design. And your A/C damper door problems?..I got that too. The compressor makes nice cold..it just isn't getting past the vacuum motor that won't hold the damper door open. In the winter I have the reverse problem. Nice hot water at the engine...it just can't get past the heater core and blower.

Chrysler? Let me be the first to tell you...you're going out of business. And new company owners haven't made a damn bit of difference in the quality of your vehicles. My overpaid brother-in-law works for you and he's dumber than a bag of wingnuts. Then again...maybe I'm dumber... I bought one of your POS vehicles.

Say buh-bye. We're all going to other makes...you shmucks!

- , Kenosha, WI, USA