8.1

2. replace dash (17 reports)
  3. hopefully dodge does the right thing and replaces it (3 reports)
  4. either cover it and sell the truck or replace the dash (2 reports)
  5. i'm going to coat the upper dash with fiberglass (1 reports)
  6. plastic dash cover and cover with a dash mat good stuff (1 reports)
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Dodge Ram 2500:

1999 Dodge Ram 2500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Dec 012015

cracked dashboard

cracked glove box

I've had the plastic hinge on the right side of the glove box broke out for a couple of years of more. Today as I was pulling the glove box out to try and make repairs on another plastic problem, the cracked Dash, the glove box started to crack and pieces broke out. I swear the plastic now acts like egg shells and is real brittle. I have not researched of tried to find a replacement, yet. I feel that Dodge should be responsible and recall these models where the plastic has failed. Probably will never happen.

- , Delta, UT, USA

Dec 012015

cracked dashboard

I first noticed the cracking a couple of years ago, maybe longer, and it had started out with one crack and now has grown to several cracks. I had previously tried to research what new dash plastic would cost and never did come up with anything that interested me. This week I decided to try and superglue the cracks hoping that it would slow them down. In the process of fixing one location, the plastic just broke out with no effort at all. It reminded me of a bio degradable plastic jug that had sit out in the sun for a period of time and when you tried to use it would just fall apart. The dash plastic acts like that too. I would really like to get it fixed but not sure what action I should take. I think Dodge should be responsible for this problem. I've never seen this happen in any other vehicle I have owned. I'm having same kind of problem with glove box breaking up too! .

- , Delta, UT, USA

Aug 102015

Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L Diesel

Dodge knows that there is a problem. I went to the dealership to inquire about the cost to replace the dash and when the parts associate showed me the parts he stated that the original parts were upgraded to a different material. Why would Dodge change the material if there was not anything wrong with the original dashboard.

- , West End, NC, USA

Jan 152015

Ram 2500 5.9L Diesel

I also own a 1996 Dodge Ram with over a million miles and the original dash is in good shape. What's up with this 99 ?

- , gustine, CA, USA

Mar 042015

Ram 2500 Laramee SLT 24 valve Diesel

Removed dash sun protection cover and too my surprise the whole dash was cracked in various sized pieces! Previous owner pulled a fast one by putting the cover over it and used adhesive tape to hold it together. Never seen this before in my life! What gives Dodge? The whole thing crumbled to the touch and now I got to pay over 550.00 to order a new one. Is the new one going to do the same thing in a few years? Help Dodge, Im a believer in your trucks. Make it right!

- , Winlock, WA, USA

May 012012

Ram 2500 Club Cab 5.9L Cummins

Very little doubt that the issue is quite common in these vehicles. The severity of the problem and obvious poor quality of the plastic became very apparent when we tried to remove the dash pad to repair a vacuum line under it: The dash panel essentially disintegrated and could not be re-installed. I might otherwise be willing to accept some weather-cracking or minor flaws, but I believe the material used in the dash pad must be sub-standard or just plain defective. I believe Dodge should be willing to replace/correct this poor representation of why I should be proud to own one of their vehicles.

- , Xenia, OH, USA

Jul 072010

Ram 2500

Whole dash has cracked into multiple pieces. This is hazardous and self perpetuating.

- , Vernon, BC, Canada

Oct 132010

Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L 6 cyl

The upper dash started cracking and falling into the dash on the wiring and a/c ducting, so I pulled out all the pieces I could and put a dash topper and a dash mat on it. It looked ok, but about 4 weeks ago the dash bezel started coming loose, so when I took the bezel off to see what the problem was, I found the complete dash frame is cracking and falling apart. Went to the Dodge dealer and talked to the parts guy. He said, good luck the dash assembly has not been available for quit a long time. Started calling wrecking yards and got a few laugh from them. Everything in the wrecking yards are like mine or worse. I feel that Dodge should try to help us that have this problem by making the parts available and offering to sel the part at a discounted price or give it to us for free.

- , Bullhead City, AZ, USA

Oct 102009

Ram 2500 Diesel

Dash started to crack and come apart, tried to patch it with epoxy, and it didn't work. My last four vehicles have been Dodge products, all purchased new. I see other dashes in Ford trucks 15 years older than my 99 and they're still together. What's up Dodge!

It may be time for a Made in Texas Toyota Truck.

- , San Angelo, TX, US

Jun 102002

Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L

DODGE WILL NOT STAND BEHIND THIS PROBLEM. CARRIED TO DEALERSHIP WHEN TRUCK HAD ONLY 42000 MILES ON IT. THEY CALL DODGE AND THEY WOULD NOT REPLACE IT. I HAVE A 1995 FORD F150 THAT GETS ABUSES FROM HUNTING, DASH STILL IN GOOD SHAPE. WILL NOT BUY ANOTHER DODGE UNLESS THEY ABOUT GIVE IT TO ME CAUSE IF IT HAS A PROBLEM THAT SHOULD BE A RECALL THEY ARE NOT GOING TO DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT.

- , Mt Olive, NC, USA

Jul 222013

Ram 2500 Laramie 5.9L Cummins

The entire dash cover is cracked and pieces falling into the dash. Thought about buying the new cover piece, but with further investigation I found the Entire dash structure was disintigrating; HVAC controls, light switch and anything that mounts to the plastic sub-structure has broken lose. The dash had even started to pull away from the firewall but I was at least able to secure that for now.

I am definitely concerned about flying pieces in the event of an accident and given that there is no structural integrity the air bag may not deploy properly causing further injury along with the dash breaking free from the firewall.

- , Chandler, AZ, USA

Sep 282013

Ram 2500 SLT Laramie 5.9L Cummins

Very disappointed with all the problems with this vehicle. I understand I have to open a new complaint for each issue, and there are many, more than likely would never buy Chrysler product ever again.

After doing research for other issues I found dash cracking problem and have a coworker with same year truck with cracked dash also. My truck has very low miles and is in real good shape for the year and has several large cracks on the dash. It is a crime that car companies can get away with not being responsible for their actions especially for the money they are getting for the crap they sale.

Hopefully anybody looking to buy a vehicle now days does research on the internet before they spend the money.

- , Woodland, WA, USA

May 012004

Ram 2500 Laramie SLT Cummins Diesel

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

I took my truck to my local Dodge dealer in San Marcos, TX (Now living in Santa Fe, NM) and was told that they had never seen this problem, there was no warranty coverage, and that it would cost nearly $2000 to replace. With the number of complaints, you'd think that Dodge would do the right thing and fix it. Somebody needs to hold their feet to the fire.

- , Santa Fe, NM, USA

Sep 152005

Ram 2500 LS

Dash falling apart and the dealers act as if this was something new and how much it would deduct from value. Dodge problem. Dodge should fix the problem

- , Seymour, IN, USA

Nov 052003

Ram 2500 ES V6 Diesel

With a very bad experience buying dodge, I had too many problem since I bought new 0 miles special order.

I say if you are buying a truck, do not buy dodge.

- , Marshall, TX, USA

Jul 162013

Ram 2500 Diesel

I had a heater core leak and I could not afford to take it to a shop to have it fixed. I decided to order the parts and replace it myself. I down loaded a video on how to replace the heater core, but the video never mentioned the fact that the dash was made of defective plastic and that it would disintegrate while I was removing it and then replacing it. It is practically unusable. If not for epoxy resin's JB Weld I would not be able to use it at all. I have never seen anything like it. The light stress fractures became huge breaks and huge chunks of plastic shards came completely off and fell to the floor as I removed and reinstalled the dash. I fear what would happen in an accident. Talk about shrapnel. If I live I will file a suit against Dodge like they have never seen filed. This is a nightmare. Dodge tough NY butt.

- , Sheridan, OR, USA

Mar 072013

Ram 2500 5.9L

I am very disappointed with Dodge. I do not have a dash now. I threw a clipboard on my dash and the center of the dash fell in. It costs $300 to $400 to repair. That’s if i get it from a salvage yard. I do not make that kind of money. I will not be replacing it. I am just going to ride around with a broken dash. I think Dodge should man up and replace all broken dash boards.

- , Bel Air, MD, USA

Apr 012012

Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L L6 Diesel

Given that this problem made the front page of the NY Times, it is widespread and needs to be fixed by Dodge.

- , Canaan, NY, USA

Jan 012008

Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L Cummins

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

The cracks started out as one big crack down the left center. I had seen other Dodge Rams with worse off dashboards so I was careful to leave it alone. Then one day I went to get in the glovebox and it fell off, plastic hinge pins snapped right off. Glovebox is still broken. In the last few years a few more cracks appeared and some small pieces fell in then the bezel on the instrument panel cracked and a piece came off. Just recently went to install satellite radio and needed to connect to radio antenna socket on back of radio, big mistake. Pried off bezel and all clips stayed in holes on the dash as plastic on bezel broke right off, could not reinstall now plus bezel cracked in 3 or 4 places and pieces broke right off. Decided at that point to try and replace dash upper panel and bezel. Note in my pictures that the plastic frame work around the instrument panel and around radio are also cracked and cracked very easy as i found out when I slide the radio out. Also found cracks in the plastic lower dash near the cup holder and plastic trim around rearview mirror cracking. So it is not only the upper dash panel (the top of dash) or the bezel but all the plastic under the dash and in the front dashboard assembly. Truck is way out of warranty and I am through messing with dealers. I searched on the internet and found a aftermarket dash panel and bezel that was not made buy Chrysler and had UV inhibitors unlike the original. Removed all the old dash upper panel and removed screws from a/c ducts that had been screwed to underside of dash. Then used Loctite superglue (gel type) and glued up any cracks in plastic frame work of dash assembly that I could find. Installed the new dash panel and bezel in about 2 hours, looks like new!

- , Sugar Land, TX, USA

Jan 072012

Ram 2500 SLT 5.2L V8

I just bought this 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 on 01-07-2012. I didn't know that the dash was cracked until I arrived to pick up the truck (210 miles from home). The place I bought it from told me that it was a common problem. Until I found my way to this site I didn't realize the significance. I see that one person persisted with Dodge and was able to get the Dash replaced by Dodge for $100.00. Could someone pass on the phone number to call. Compared to the replacement cost I would be happy to pay that to get it fixed. My question also would be what are they replacing it with?? Same defective crap or an improved design model. Mine is cracked over the glove box area and has not "fallen in" yet but I can't put anything up there because I'm sure that it will. With this being as wide spread as it is it's obvious the parts are defective and Dodge should be willing to make this right. Cmon Dodge, step up to the plate and put your money where your mouth is. FIX THIS DAMIT!!!!!!!! WTF!!!

- , Iron River, MI, USA