8.3

1. replace dashboard (50 reports)
  2. recall on dash would help (31 reports)
  4. file class action to mandate dodge to replace safety hazard (6 reports)
  5. install pre formed plastic dash (3 reports)
  6. replace dash with quality material (3 reports)
2001 Dodge Ram 2500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Dodge Ram 2500:

2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 7)

Aug 302004

Ram 2500 V6 Diesel

I We own a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel, 4wd and decided to clean her up. First eyesore is the dash with three cracks in various places. Like quite a few others on here, the dash is an eyesore and a serious hazard to anyone riding in the truck. I decided to google "dash covers" and landed here, reading about a slew of other folks with the same problem in the same year and model Dodge. We h ave owned Dodge trucks for some time and we encouraged our friends to buy Dodge! Several own Dodges now but, plan to buy Fords their next purchase. Really very sad because we love the truck. However, we dislike poor quality and that is what Dodge gave us. My husband loves his truck and is working toward bringing the truck back to showroom quality. Diesel got so expensive we had no choice but to park her for three years. Our mileage sucked! Now to find out the dash is bound to start caving in we are wondering if we should go ahead and trade before it gets really bad! There's no excuse for the use of shoddy material! Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't we bail Chrysler out with our tax dollars? Somehow I' not feeling the love nor are we seeing any gratitude. Hmm, I wonder what Farm Bureau will have to say when they find out Dodge refuses to step up and own their problem? Farm Bureau gives its members a $500 purchase discount if we buy a Dodge. We've used the $500 as part of our down paymènt three times so far. I wish someone would give us the information we need to file a complaint with the Feds. I took the phone number and address someone provided so we can file complaints with Chrysler, but what good is it? That's asking Chrysler to monitor the complaints. Does anyone really expect Chrysler to step up and initiate a recall without the feds pushing it? We have to file complaints with the consumer protection agency! Everyone pick up that pen and write a short well detailed complaint and demand action based on the safety hazards involved, (possible air bag damage or failure to deploy, shards af dangerous plastic projectiles in an accident, fire hazard as a result of plastic shards cutting and exposing wires that can short and burst into flame, possibly threatening lives if the truck is garage kept, and a fire hazard during droughts). The list could go on! What's the saying? Let's kick ass and take names! As a group we CAN do this

- , Sebulon, Zebulon, USA

Oct 032009

Ram 2500 5.9L V8

did not realize the problem was so widespread until I saw the NY Times article.

- , Luther, OK, USA

Apr 102012

Ram 2500 Sport 5.9L I6

Dash is made of garbage grade plastic and tends to crack. Mine has 3 cracks in various spots. Dash should hold together better due to high cost of vehicle.

- , Waterford, WI, USA

Jan 012007

Ram 2500 STL 6.5L

The dash cracked at 100,000.When I talke to Dodge they said there was no recall and the truck was not under warranty and that it was too old. I told them this was a defect, the truck was taken care of, and the last 7 years the truck has been keep inside and only drove 5000-6000 miles a year. I was then told they do not have enough complaints to say they have an issue. I told them there is no reason this should happen and I paid a lot of money and should have a better product then this. They got their money, so they don't care.

- , Peculiar, MO, USA

May 052006

Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L Diesel

Dodge need to replace all the cracked dashes on the truck. Piss poor excuse for it happening on a vehicle that cost as much as they do.

- , Carrollton, GA, USA

Aug 152012

Ram 2500 Diesel

Really disappointed, the dash is cracked in about 5 places. Thought it was just my vehicle, but I see everyone else is having a problem. Dodge needs to fix this

- , Fort Collins, CO, USA

Sep 012010

Ram 2500 5.9L

The plastic dash is totally cracked and is falling apart.

- , Sedona, AZ, USA

Jan 012003

Ram 2500 5.9L Diesel

click to see larger images

crack in the dashboard crack in the dashboard crack in the dashboard

Dealers tell me this is common complaint but offer no assistance other than customer replacement which was around $700 in 2007.

- , Leander, TX, USA

Jul 012007

Ram 2500

I really didn't realize that the crack in my dashboard was a problem many people has had until this year.2012. I just figured it was something I may have done but after much research I have found dashboard with the same exact problem as mine. My dodge truck right now has 258,000 miles on it and besides this cracked up caved in dash board it runs fairly well. I have contacted Chrysler Corporate office about this. They told me to get an estimate and that they would cover half of the expense but the quote that I received is 2,700. I really think that this should have been a recall. If I would have know this issue earlier I would not have waited this long before getting it replace. Now my entire dashboard is about in pieces. I really don't know what to do next.

- , Fresno, TX, USA

Apr 102007

Ram 2500 Sport Diesel

QUALITY IS SURPRISING. NOT WHAT YOU EXSPECT. REASON WHY MADE IN THE USA IS MADE WITH POOR QUALITY AND CRAFTMANSHIP.

- , Parker, CO, USA

Jun 012001

Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L Dsl

The dash begins to crack, cracks split entirely through and chunks began falling out leaving holes where items on dash fall through causing fire hazard near firewall, items lodge in moving mechanisms jamming hvac system. Fear of fire, inability to wipe down dash because of chunks falling from dash assembly, what would happen in a crash when items in truck become dislodged and become projectiles? Risk assessment?

- , Fresno, CA, USA

Jun 012009

Ram 2500

i DIDN'T KNOW IT WAS A PROBLEM IN OTHER DODGE RAMS UNTIL I RAN ACROSS IT BY CHANCE ON THE INTERNET WHEN I WAS LOOKING FOR A DIFFERENT PART I JUST ASSUMED IT WAS BECAUSE I LEFT IT IN THE SUN.

APPARENTLY DODGE IS SATISFIED TO SELL VEHICLES WITH CHEAP DEFECTIVE PARTS

- , Bowie, MD, USA

Nov 132011

Ram 2500

I have always owned a dodge. This will make me rethink my future purchases

- , Columbus, IN, USA

Oct 172011

Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L

Multiple cracks in dash with sharp edges and sharp points sticking out toward people. This is a true safety issue, not just a cosmetic problem. There is no excuse for making plastic that is this brittle and weak. Shame on Chrysler!! They need to recall the dash and replace with new, durable plastic dashes.

- , Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Aug 012011

Ram 2500

We have afleet of trucks out of which a number of them are dodge trucks from 1998 to 2001. The dashboards is by far the most unsightly part of these trucks. We have resorted to superglue, dash pads and replacement dashboards to deal with these problems as well as dashmats. The dealerships have done nothing to fix these problems. The scorn it off by raising their prices on these from around $250 to the latest quote I received today for $500. There is no solution to this problem. As these vehicles do have active air bags in the dashes it is my opinion that this should be handled as an extreme driver and passenger hazard by the manufacturer and be handled as a recall item. if a piece of this were to launch by a deploying air bag or a person were to be thrown into these dashes they could be seriously injured or killed. Whats up with that and why hasn't anyone stepped forward on a class action suit. If we own 5 of these trucks and all have the same problem and as well as that we go to a wrecking yard and all similar year model trucks have the same problem, then there must be thousands of thousands of trucks with the same problem, if not all. Time for Dodge to Step up!!!

- , Albuquerque, NM, USA

May 052007

Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L Cummins

it's a problem all over the country and I'm just another ripped off customer..

- , Gilbert, AZ, USA

Aug 152009

Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L

I dont feel there is any reason that a vehicle built since 1985, let alone one built in 2001,should have a a dashboard falling apart.My first 2 vehicles when I began driving in 1994, one was a 1980 pontiac grand prix and the other a 1984 ford F250, neither one of those vehicles had dashboards cracked nearly as bad as this truck.I just cant believe that a car company would knowingly use such a faulty product.I know that a cracked dashboard isnt really a "safety issue".But really,if dodge wants to keep loyal customers they should offer some assistance or financial reimbursement for those of us with faulty dashboards.

- , Evansville, IN, USA

Apr 012011

Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L Diesel

had one large crack in the dash; had to have the a/c evaporator coil replaced-now its really bad. i bought a98 1500 for my son and the dash has cracked in the middle-same as my `01. seems to be a common problem

- , Grove City, OH, USA

Jun 262005

Ram 2500 Cummins

Thanks for the great problem for detailing. The dashboard has completely broke down. It looks like crap I cannot vacuum the bugs out of the dash board there are too many places to hide.

- , Batavia, OH, USA

Feb 162011

Ram 2500 Quad Cab Diesel

My truck is called "Holy" because the dashboard is one big hole. I complained to the dealer, but there is no inexpensive fix. The service manager even told me it was a common problem. The replacement part is over $1400. My sister has a Dodge truck too, and she has the exact same problem. I was thinking that maybe I could buy one from the junk yard and replace it with that, however ever junk yard I called said their dashboards for my truck are all either cracked or broken.

- , Dodge, CA, USA