8.3

1. have dodge recall; they should fix the problem (25 reports)
  3. replace dashboard (11 reports)
  4. get a coverlay or similar cheap and covers up everything (2 reports)
  5. start a class action law suit (2 reports)
  6. dash cover (1 reports)
2002 Dodge Ram 2500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Dodge Ram 2500:

2002 Dodge Ram 2500 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Feb 012010

Ram 2500 LST Diesel

I have owned a Dodge for the past 30 years. This is not the first Dodge that I have owned that has had this problem but it will probably be my last.

- , Manchester, TN, USA

Feb 042010

Ram 2500 SLT Diesel

After paying the cost of a new truck, and having this problem without the company standing behind their product when it is obviously a major problem with the design, is a complete turnoff for buying their product again.

- , Fairmount, GA, USA

Dec 042010

Ram 2500 Laramie 5.9L

At 58300 miles my dash now has a crack from the windshield clear up to the instrument bezel. It just appeared one day out of the blue. Prior to appearing the dash was in perfect condition, no scratches, cracks or even fading. After doing some research on the web and seeing other complaints and photos, I feel sick at the thought of what is still to come with this dash problem. It seems pretty clear to me that Dodge has major problem with their defective plastic dashboards and they need to step up and fix the problem.

- , Oxford, PA, USA

Jan 292007

Ram 2500 Laramie SLT Cummins 24 valve Diesel

when i purchased this truck,it had a small crack in dash board.as time went on it developed new ones.then the wireing harness under dash melted,so i had to pull dash out.in this process the dash boardsplit and cracked even worse.including the front of dash.so i investigated new parts from dodge.550.00 for top and 877.00 for front.OUCH! so i got the bright idea to fix them myself.i bought a plastic welder and material and special tools to fix it.as i was welding dash back together,the thing would crack somewhere else.i finally get it all welded and start to sand it,to prep it for textured and painting..more cracks.the dash board is so cheaply made,you cannot fix it.So,i will resort to purchasing a dash cover.right now i have over 600.00 dollars and my time invested in this problem i did not cause.the front of dash is same material,going to try my luck.just the stress of pulling the dash out ruins the cheap plastic.and you have to pull dash in order to fix wireing or replace a heater core.ect..I have been a loyal fan of dodge all my life,but i think they need to manufacture a higher quality plastic for these dashes,and do a recall to replace them.they are just finding cheaper ways to make more money.

- , Stark City, MO, USA

Feb 152008

Ram 2500 Laramie

There is no reason that Dodge can not own up to the fact they know the dashboards are defective. With all the consumers complaints you would think they care, but they don't. I talked to them about another complaint ( I will put on next) and also mentioned this. They said that they do not look at any complaints on the internet because anyone can put anything on there. They only look at complaints on their official site. All she would keep saying is I guess nothing I can say will satisfy you will it?

- , Boyd, TX, USA

Jan 022008

Ram 2500

truck kept in garage. Dashboard should not crack. Made cheap.

- , Weirton, WV, USA

Jun 012004

Ram 2500

Purchased this truck brand new off the lot when the 2002 models came out. Previously owned a 3500 Chevrolet, thought that Dodge made a tougher truck, BOY was I ever wrong!!!!! The 3500 Diesel Chevrolet dually dash did not crack and split and fall apart, it looked like brand new. Now our 2002 Dodge 2500 Diesel dash cracked, split and now has a big hole where the dash is crumbling, its a shame to pay what we did for this Dodge and the dash crumbles. I have always had pride in my vehicles, but I am ashamed of this truck! I will never own another Dodge vehicle and pay this kind of money and the truck dash cracks and crumbles. DODGE YOU NEED TO PAY FOR THIS!!!! I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND ANYONE PURCHASING A DODGE FOR THIS VERY REASON!!!!!

- , Saltville, VA, USA

Feb 012004

Ram 2500 Sport 5.9L

Dash has multiple cracks. Everyone I know with a Dodge Ram has this problem

- , Mooresville, NC, USA

Sep 102009

Ram 2500 5.9L

the dash has not only cracked but pieces of it are falling out of it. I love the truck but when I remove the dash I will post pictures of it whenever I get the chance and will tell future dodge owners about it before the buy one. I will also tell them how helpful dodge has been to everyone who has this problem. NO HELP AT ALL

- , Hermiston, OR, USA

Jan 192010

Ram 2500

All of my friends trucks are doing the dash crack thing. Its starts at the defrost vent and works it's way up to the cluster set. Soon you will be able to see the back side of your gauges from outside of the truck. You will have sharp pointed edges in your face when you wreck along with flying debris in your eyes. It's not safe and its very ugly. No car I know of has that problem. It is very disappointing and I will not buy another Dodge EVER until they fix it for free. NEVER EVER.

Update from Oct 23, 2011: ATTORNEY TO START Class Action Law Suit in Portland Oregon: http://www.jparkslaw.com/attorney

After he gets 200 cases of this dash cracking problem he said that he would have someting substantial to go on. EMAIL HIM NOW if your Dodge dash is cracking!!! I have bought 11 new Dodge vehicles in my life. That's not my entire family either.. we own more. However with this DASHBOARD cracking thing and the way they are not fixing my problem (even while it was under warranty!).. We aren't going to be buying ANY more Dodge or Chrysler products.. Really stinks becasuse I did want a new Durango and a Jeep for my son.. but whatever.. Since the problem I have already purchased my first new Honda and about to buy the sun a Subaru. I like American made cars and trucks I just don't like being treated like I'm not really here and the only time I feel important to them is when I'm walking around the lot ready to buy a car.

Really makes me upset. So I'm going to try and open up a class action law suit. I'm also not going to buy any more Chrysler products until this gets resolved. There is an attorney here in Portland that specializes in Dodge lawsuits. Please email him with your dash problems!

- , Sandy, OR, USA

Jul 212010

Ram 2500 5.9L V8

Yep dashboard is cracked and sounds like it will get worse. Sure is an expensive truck model for a dumb problem. Does dodge care? Do they give a care there installing none long term equipment in there vehicles? Why is the vech. so expensive if low quality product is stock item. DODGE FIX THE PROBLEM, MAKE IT RIGHT!!

- , Breckenridge, CO, USA

Jun 152010

Ram 2500 5.9L

bought my dodge ram diesel in july of 2002. around 2005 my dash got a crack in it. in 2010 decided to clean the evaporator coil and in the process of removing the dash, it just crumbled in my hand in removing it. i was shocked. love my truck but i dont think i will buy another one. i removed alot of dashes in my years and not one did i ever have any problems,. been a mechanic for a long time and i am 58 now. dodge should fix the problem not us. do the right thing and recall them.

jim i

venice fl

- , Venice, FL, USA

Apr 122010

Ram 2500 3.2L V6

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

Dodge dealership told me it would cost over $800.00 to replace it and they could not guarantee it would not happen again. This is now causing issues with my headlights (have to stay on bright because dim does not work), radio lights do not work now. Not to mention the embarrassment of people seeing and making snide remarks. Dodge should fix this with a new dash that will not crack and break in a year.

- , Marion, OH, USA

Jun 062008

Ram 2500 V10

bought this 2002 dodge ram 2500 used in 2004. It developed a crack shortly thereafter. Now the whole dash is cracked and there is a big whole behind the steering wheel. I made sure i kept it clean and used a shade over the windshield and it still cracked. There needs to be a recall and have the dash replaced.

- , Deer Park, TX, USA

Feb 102010

Ram 2500 SLT Cummings

I take excellent care of my truck. Mostly in the shade and the dash just cleaned with a damp towel and cracks appeared. They need to recall these dashes as I see it is happening to everyones. An attorney out there needs to start a class action. This should not happen to a $45,000 truck in 8 years that is well taken care of.

- , New Braunfels, TX, USA

Sep 212007

Ram 2500 Laramie SLT 5.9L Diesel

I bought this truck new in April 02 and have taken extremely good care of it. In 07 I noticed a crack in the instrument cluster bezel. Shortly thereafter the dash began to crack in various places. Now it has a large hole right in front of the driver seat.The local Dodge dealer wants $410 for the dash, and $359 for the bezel. It's insane to have to pay this much for such an asinine problem. I've been a Dodge man all my life but the romance is now over. My next truck will not be a Dodge. Come on Dodge, man up and recall these trucks.

- , Mobile, AL, USA

Apr 042008

Ram 2500 2500 HD Cummings Diesel

2002 Dodge Ram 2500 Dash just fell apart one day, fine one day, big nasty cracks the next, what a ugly mess. Dodge dealer won't do nothing about it. Yes this will be the first and last Dodge product I will ever own!! Engine in this diesel is great but dash sure is screwed up. Now other things are happening, don't know if the dash falling apart has anything to do with it or not. Radio has stopped working, headlights come and go, sometimes I have to sit in the dark until they decide to work again! Is this dashboard related? I don't know!!! Step up to the plate DODGE and fix this problem!!! Signed MAD AS HELL

- , Olathe, CO, USA

Dec 222009

Ram 2500 2500 V8 5.9L

I want my dash fixed and I don't fill that I should have to pay for it.

- , Kennesaw, GA, USA

May 182005

Ram 2500 V6

I always bought Ford trucks until I became put out with my 1994 diesel wiring harness and injector problems. In 2002, I decided to go with Dodge and after 3 years the dash began to crack and now have a hole as big as a basketball. Currently looking to purchase dash cover at my expense. Dodge should have recalled but I guess we know now why the car companies are struggling. Piss poor quality on the simplest of items on a $34,000 vehicle at the time. In addition last year, I had to replace the fuel injector pump for $3,500 or highway robbery. You could replace a complete gas engine I would suspect for that.

- , Thornton, TX, USA

Sep 122009

Ram 2500 V8

I think that dodge needs to buck up and fix this problem! They new from the get go that the dashes would crack and they still didnt do anything to fix it before they sold all of these vehicles to us. It is not our fault that DODGE made the dashes out of cheap plastic. I think dodge should do a recall on them and buck and fix them.

Dont get me wrong i love my dodge truck, but i think that its bull crap that these vehicles have such low mileage on them and the dashes are cracking.

- , Idaho Falls, ID, USA